Marvel Canceling the Fantastic Four Comic Book?

Personally I can see Marvel breaking up the FF cast for a year or so, and having the characters getting integrated into other hero books. Stuff like the Avengers, where their profile can be built up. Then in a year or so they can bring the FF comic back, hopefully with a reader boost from the higher profile of the various characters.

That would have a few benefits for Marvel, the comic would be gone while this film is out (which Perlmutter wants), it would raise the profile of the individual characters among readers that don't normally read FF comics, and it would give Marvel time to plan out what to do with the FF comic when it comes back (not another knock the team down and build it back up story for example).

Tom Brevoort on Tumblr just came out and said that FF is getting renumbered as a new volume.
Of course Marvel is going to deny this. They haven't even properly announced the TPB that Hatchette accidentally leaked out..

And keep in mind that Sony held onto Spider-Man until the last second before rebooting as well. If Sony didn't sell the merch rights back to Marvel, we wouldn't see Spider-Man merch either. It isn't that Marvel hates Fox but loves Sony.
It's much more complex than just that. Sony didn't just give up the merchandising rights, they also gave up television rights and other interests they had in the Spider-Man IP. Asides from the film rights Disney and Marvel have complete control over the Spider-Man IP. On top of Spidey being extremely lucrative across all platforms, it's why Disney has been fully embracing towards the character, even though we aren't going to see a Marvel Studios Spider-Man anytime soon.

With X-Men and Fantastic Four on the other hand, 20th Century Fox still gets a cut of the merchandising they have live-action television rights, at the very least distribution rights to any Fantastic Four animated television show, and I think they also have interests in other aspects of those IPs. Unlike Spider-Man, Disney and Marvel don't have full control of those properties and it's why they're using X-Men in such a limited fashion and why the Fantastic Four are now completely shunned.

But there are reports coming out now that Issac Perlmutter, who is Disney's largest shareholder and CEO of Marvel, is taking 20th Century Fox's refusal to even budge on the rights of either property rather personally. While shunning the X-Men completely would affect Marvel's bottom line, shunning the Fantastic Four isn't going to hurt Marvel much because it's not a top selling comic and characters like the Thing, Dr. Doom, and Human Torch are no Wolverine, Storm, and Magneto. It does look like to a certain degree of Marvel disliking 20th Century Fox.

It's that Sony had to cut a deal to avoid bankruptcy.
Sony is not in the danger of bankruptcy. While they do need to take drastic cost cutting measures, bankruptcy isn't likely to happen.

That said, If this film flops then I expect Fox to sell the rights back since they will have proven that they can't make a film that audiences want to see.
Even if the film flops, I don't see 20th Century Fox selling the rights back. They'll probably treat it the way they treated Daredevil and hold them until the very last minute, even if they have no intention of making a film.

I also feel that Sony should sell Spider-Man back to Marvel since they've proven over the past decade that they have no idea what they're doing. Plus I don't see a wide audience for Sinister Six. Its a niche film that requires a massive budget and if Sony can't renegotiate Garfield's contract to have him appear in it, then it'll be hard to root for a anyone. If Garfield does appear, then it's a film about bad guys hunting a good guy when nobody wants to root for the bad guys doing bad things. And if Sinister Six does fail, then the brand will be so tarnished that nobody will want to see a Spider-Man movie for a good long time and Sony should just sell the rights back since it isn't worth holding on to the rights of something that you can't turn a profit with.
Yeah, I think it's gotten to the point where it would be more beneficial for Sony to just sell the film rights to Disney/Marvel. The films are getting more and more expensive for Sony to make while they are getting less and less from them in the box office. It would probably be in Sony's best interest to just sell the rights to Spider-Man in an Indiana Jones type deal where they get a cut of the box office revenues in future films in return for letting the rights return to the Marvel fold.

And yes. I am implying that Fox hurt Fantastic Four just as much. The reboot is a big gamble and if it's as bad as Sony's, then Fox + FF will = box office poison.
It's not that big of a gamble if the rumors of the film being on a tight budget are true.

Of course Marvel is going to deny this. They haven't even properly announced the TPB that Hatchette accidentally leaked out..

It's much more complex than just that. Sony didn't just give up the merchandising rights, they also gave up television rights and other interests they had in the Spider-Man IP. Asides from the film rights Disney and Marvel have complete control over the Spider-Man IP. On top of Spidey being extremely lucrative across all platforms, it's why Disney has been fully embracing towards the character, even though we aren't going to see a Marvel Studios Spider-Man anytime soon.

With X-Men and Fantastic Four on the other hand, 20th Century Fox still gets a cut of the merchandising they have live-action television rights, at the very least distribution rights to any Fantastic Four animated television show, and I think they also have interests in other aspects of those IPs. Unlike Spider-Man, Disney and Marvel don't have full control of those properties and it's why they're using X-Men in such a limited fashion and why the Fantastic Four are now completely shunned.

But there are reports coming out now that Issac Perlmutter, who is Disney's largest shareholder and CEO of Marvel, is taking 20th Century Fox's refusal to even budge on the rights of either property rather personally. While shunning the X-Men completely would affect Marvel's bottom line, shunning the Fantastic Four isn't going to hurt Marvel much because it's not a top selling comic and characters like the Thing, Dr. Doom, and Human Torch are no Wolverine, Storm, and Magneto. It does look like to a certain degree of Marvel disliking 20th Century Fox.

Sony is not in the danger of bankruptcy. While they do need to take drastic cost cutting measures, bankruptcy isn't likely to happen.

Even if the film flops, I don't see 20th Century Fox selling the rights back. They'll probably treat it the way they treated Daredevil and hold them until the very last minute, even if they have no intention of making a film.

Yeah, I think it's gotten to the point where it would be more beneficial for Sony to just sell the film rights to Disney/Marvel. The films are getting more and more expensive for Sony to make while they are getting less and less from them in the box office. It would probably be in Sony's best interest to just sell the rights to Spider-Man in an Indiana Jones type deal where they get a cut of the box office revenues in future films in return for letting the rights return to the Marvel fold.

It's not that big of a gamble if the rumors of the film being on a tight budget are true.

Marvel produced Fantastic Four: Earth's Greatest Heroes for Cartoon Network which is owned by Warner. Marvel owns the animated rights to the FF. Fox just controls merch related to the films. Marvel also made the Wolverine and the X-Men TV show.

Fox does have partial rights to an X-Men TV show, provided that it's live-action. The Mutant X court ruling stated that it must be a co-production between Fox and Marvel. While it's possible that this could happen, it's not going to happen until Marvel already has most of their street level properties on TV when Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Runaways and Punisher aren't even in pre-production yet.

And why would Fox want to hold onto the FF rights like they did with Daredevil? Fox got nothing out of the DD rights reverting. They just sold away a property for free by doing that and now Marvel is producing a TV show with a $50 million dollar budget with Netflix which left Fox looking really stupid since Marvel is going to make a crapton of money off of DD and Fox got nothing out of it. I doubt that they'd make the same mistake again and not allow Marvel to buy back the rights.

Now I see why Marvel is pissed off at Fox.

If that X-Factor series goes through, that's even more money they don't have from exploiting the mutants merchandise. You realize Hugh Jackman would totally do Wolverine on tv!! They are essentially following the AoS/Avengers model.

Marvel produced Fantastic Four: Earth's Greatest Heroes for Cartoon Network which is owned by Warner. Marvel owns the animated rights to the FF. Fox just controls merch related to the films.
Marvel and Cartoon Network produced the cartoon but 20th Century Fox had the distribution rights of the cartoon on home video. And I think others have stated that they have other interests in the property as well.

Marvel also made the Wolverine and the X-Men TV show.

Fox does have partial rights to an X-Men TV show, provided that it's live-action. The Mutant X court ruling stated that it must be a co-production between Fox and Marvel. While it's possible that this could happen, it's not going to happen until Marvel already has most of their street level properties on TV when Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Runaways and Punisher aren't even in pre-production yet.
20th Century Fox has full rights to a live action X-Men show, it was just reported today that they're looking into making a television show set in the X-Men Cinematic Universe.

My point still remains, unlike Spider-Man, Marvel doesn't have full control over everything related to the Fantastic Four and X-Men, hence why they're being promoted less.

And why would Fox want to hold onto the FF rights like they did with Daredevil? Fox got nothing out of the DD rights reverting. They just sold away a property for free by doing that and now Marvel is producing a TV show with a $50 million dollar budget with Netflix which left Fox looking really stupid since Marvel is going to make a crapton of money off of DD and Fox got nothing out of it. I doubt that they'd make the same mistake again and not allow Marvel to buy back the rights.
IMO, it's blatantly obvious that 20th Century Fox is making this film just because they're almost out of time and need to put something out with the Fantastic Four name on it. Maybe their line of thinking is if they at least put this film out, they extend the rights for a period of time and then be able to make a good film later on. Seriously, watching this production is like watching the Corman fiasco all over again with higher production values.

I still wanna see proof that FOX can even do a X-men tv show w/o Marvels consent.

Marvel and Cartoon Network produced the cartoon but 20th Century Fox had the distribution rights of the cartoon on home video. And I think others have stated that they have other interests in the property as well.

20th Century Fox has full rights to a live action X-Men show, it was just reported today that they're looking into making a television show set in the X-Men Cinematic Universe.

http://openjurist.org/277/f3d/253/twentieth-v-marvel

According to court documents in the Mutant X lawsuit, Marvel retained TV rights in the 1993 agreement. (Background, Section 4) FOX had a lockout provision, ("The Freeze") meaning the studios would have to work together in order to put an X-Men program on air.

Either Marvel conceded TV rights as part of the Mutant X settlement, FOX is preparing an offer to Marvel to acquire the rights or the rumor is false.

This is from the Mutant X court ruling (and afaik the closest glimpse we have ever seen of the actual terms and conditions with these deals):

The 1993 Agreement. In October 1993, Marvel and Fox signed an agreement (the "1993 Agreement") pursuant to which Marvel licensed to Fox all the rights that Fox may require in order to produce, distribute, exploit, advertise, promote, and publicize theatrical motion pictures based on the "X-Men" comic book series. The "X-Men" comic book series, referred to in the Agreement as the "Property," includes the X-Men Characters, specifically the "core" Characters and the Characters of the "X-Universe"; their origin stories; storylines from individual comic books; and "all other elements relating to the Property and the Characters." The rights granted to Fox included "the right to use the title (or subtitle or portion of the title) of the Property or any component of the Property as the title of any Picture or related exploitation." The Agreement reserved all television rights to Marvel, subject to a proviso, critical to Fox's pending contract claim, that Marvel would not "produce, distribute or exploit or authorize the production, distribution or exploitation of any live-action motion picture" without Fox's consent (the "Freeze").

That specifies Fox's rights are limited to theatrical movies, and the TV rights remain with Marvel, but Marvel cant do a live action show or tv movie without getting into bed with Fox for it.

This did happen before btw, with the (rather awful) 'Generation X' TV movie, but it's a very different ballgame now.

So unless something else has happened since that Mutant X case any rumours or scoops on a Fox live action TV show are nothing but hot air click bait.

I still wanna see proof that FOX can even do a X-men tv show w/o Marvels consent.

At the moment it looks like its just rumours. Kinberg however did state they wanted to branch into TV, so maybe that's where it's coming from.

Wanting to do something though isn't the same as being able to do it (the old 'wish in one hand, s##t in the other, see which fills up first' saying springs to mind).

Bleeding Cool broke the news of 20th Century Fox is in deep development of an X-Men television series. IGN went further stating that it will be based off of X-Factor Investigations and will be like the "Fringe of the X-Men Universe."

Bleeding Cool broke the news of 20th Century Fox is in deep development of an X-Men television series. IGN went further stating that it will be based off of X-Factor Investigations and will be like the "Fringe of the X-Men Universe."

So Fox can make a live-action series based in X-Men universe without Marvel's consent? Marvel was really smoking dope when they signed that deal with Fox, weren't they?

So Fox can make a live-action series based in X-Men universe without Marvel's consent? Marvel was really smoking dope when they signed that deal with Fox, weren't they?

Well, they were pretty much bankrupt in the mid-90s weren't they?

Even these sources state that it's just a rumor at this point. I'm remaining unconvinced until Fox announces it.

Anyone see this ABC article?

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/michael-jordan-shares-details-fantastic/story?id=25952282

Do you notice how these guys are trying to pretend like this film is somehow part of the MCU?

Talk about misleading. Like an Avengers/FF crossover is even possible.

Also earlier MBJ stated how he's so happy to be part of the Marvel "family" etc. It's looking more and more to me like they're trying to ride Marvel's coattails on this thing. Maybe that's why they haven't done one iota of promotion for it.

But at any rate, the Marvel brand is obviously important to Fox.

Personally I think the comic cancellation is because of the stagnation of the title. It's probably just an effort to shake the Marvel universe up a bit but nothing is forever in comics. The FF will be back in some way shape or form. And I wouldn't be surprised if they return in a way that prevents Fox from continuing to mine free IP off of Marvel.

First off who in the hell at ABC brought the question up about crossovers and teaser clips? That reporter almost certainly got reprimanded. I'm sure he or she knows now that Marvel has nothing to do with the F4 if they are still employed that is.

Jordan has to know that too. I'm sure Disney is looking for a way as we speak to block Fox from using the Marvel name or movie logo in front of that film. The F4 is in no way shape or form involved with Marvel.

Disney owns ABC. They're still clearly willing to do some level of promotion. And if abortions like Ghost Rider 2 and X-Men Origins could still get the Marvel logo, I don't see why this won't. Plus it was confirmed to be a relaunch for the comic, not a cancelation.

Disney wouldn't have negotiated the TV rights with Fox to allow the X-Factor show if Marvel really wanted All of Fox's movies to fail.

Disney wouldn't have negotiated the TV rights with Fox to allow the X-Factor show if Marvel really wanted All of Fox's movies to fail.

That depends on when the deal was made with Fox for the TV rights was made (if the story is true), it could have been made long before Disney bought Marvel. All we know about the situation is that in 2002 Marvel still held the TV rights but we don't know what sort of deals could have been made after that.

I imagine that if a deal wasn't made then right now the Disney lawyers are very hard at work. If Fox don't currently have the rights but are planning to make an offer for the rights then it would give Disney leverage to know that Fox are already developing the project in preparation of a deal being made.

Bleeding Cool also reported as 'news' that Fox were firing Trank and even considering recasting this film. The twitter user who seems to be the source for the X-Factor Fringe thing has since clarified his tweets are just rumours (at the moment at any rate). Even the reports of the FF books cancellation here may be wrong given Brevoort has publicly denied it (if that were true I'm not sure he would put his own name in the firing line come the day the book is genuinely canned).

Bottom line: Bleeding cool get some stuff right, some stuff wrong, some stuff in-between. They make hay out of getting the Supergirl one right leading with this scoop, but naturally don't mention others where Rich Johnston was simply wrong. Lesson being that a story on an internet site like BC, which will happily run with rumours, doesn't mean its true. It seems from looking at some sites though that some fans do seem to have taken this completely seriously in spite of prior evidence to the contrary*. I'd wait for official confirmation myself.

*For this to be true (and I am not discounting it) then something we aint aware of happened either as a result of or a deal made after the Mutant X lawsuit. As things stood then though Fox did not have any live action TV rights for X-Men.

It is possible Marvel may have made a deal post Mutant X and pre Marvel Studios (they were getting on better then), but if so I do wonder why Fox have not done one sooner or made that news public before now. It's no small deal after all.

Last edited:
That depends on when the deal was made with Fox for the TV rights was made (if the story is true), it could have been made long before Disney bought Marvel. All we know about the situation is that in 2002 Marvel still held the TV rights but we don't know what sort of deals could have been made after that.

I imagine that if a deal wasn't made then right now the Disney lawyers are very hard at work. If Fox don't currently have the rights but are planning to make an offer for the rights then it would give Disney leverage to know that Fox are already developing the project in preparation of a deal being made.

If we assume Fox don't currently have the tv rights then they will have to offer something for it (no way in hell the mouse is just gonna let them do it for nothing). Question is what? They can't offer the FF back unless they bin this film, which I can't see happening, so what else would they have to bring to the table?

If we assume Fox don't currently have the tv rights then they will have to offer something for it (no way in hell the mouse is just gonna let them do it for nothing). Question is what? They can't offer the FF back unless they bin this film, which I can't see happening, so what else would they have to bring to the table?

To be honest the Fantastic Four rights are about the only thing I could see Fox having to offer if they don't already have the rights. Sure there are things that Disney would like to get from Fox, like the Star Wars stuff, but its not something I could see Fox giving up for some TV rights.

The original deal made in 1993 didn't give Fox live action X-Men TV rights, just the theatrical movie ones. So if Fox are indeed able to do a TV show without any consent or co-production from Marvel then this is something that has come after the original deal, and after the Mutant X lawsuit settlement in 2003.

A possibility might be that settlement (confidential) may have included a TV rights concession, though I'm not sure how likely that would be considering Marvel obviously knew by then the potential value of an X-Men TV Series.

Another might be a new deal was done post 2003 to allow for it: Marvel were not looking at doing their own thing until after X3 in 2006, so there's a few years there where Arad might have sold on that bargaining chip for some chump change.

Anyways, from what little we know at the moment Fox can't do it. Something might have happened we don't know about yet, but until there is official confirmation this is for real I'd take the BC rumours with a pinch of salt for the time being.

To be honest the Fantastic Four rights are about the only thing I could see Fox having to offer if they don't already have the rights. Sure there are things that Disney would like to get from Fox, like the Star Wars stuff, but its not something I could see Fox giving up for some TV rights.

After 2020 the only Star Wars asset Fox will still hold is the distribution rights for Episode IV (they have that 'in perpetuity' atm). The other 5 past films distribution rights ALL revert back to Disney.

That might be a big enough chunk of cheese to tempt the mouse on this one, if Fox cannot currently do a show and are looking to make a deal: it would allow Disney full control over future collector box sets and so on for all the SW films, plus since they can't do an X-Men show themselves (and Fox certainly aint letting them ever go back) it could be seen as a win win for them.

Will have to wait & see whatever the case.

First off who in the hell at ABC brought the question up about crossovers and teaser clips? That reporter almost certainly got reprimanded. I'm sure he or she knows now that Marvel has nothing to do with the F4 if they are still employed that is.

Jordan has to know that too. I'm sure Disney is looking for a way as we speak to block Fox from using the Marvel name or movie logo in front of that film. The F4 is in no way shape or form involved with Marvel.

Yeah, worst case scenario, the interviewer was stupid and didn't do any research regarding what Disney owns and doesn't owns. Best case scenario is that they could've been feeding MBJ a loaded question.

Not being a part of the MCU actually hurts these other Marvel franchises more than helps them. So instead of MBJ saying "Sorry this reboot isn't a part of Marvel Studio's, just FOX-Marvel but even Singer's X-men is staying clear of us."

But in either case MJB took the political way out. And since no one there was bright enough to simply point out the distinctions between the 2 franchises that make a crossover impossible, MBJ walked away from the interview making it seem like this franchise was truly MARVEL APPROVED.

They filed for chapter 11 in the 90's. This allows a company to restructure it's debt and continue as a business. This is when Arad came in and ran the company. He was the one that made the big movie deals that brought revenue, but compared to the money that was being made Marvel brought in very little of the residuals. They were terrible short sighted deals.

You look at what George Lucas did with Star Wars and 20th Century Fox, and he had much less bargaining power than Marvel had, but he was able to retain all the rights to the characters and thus built his empire upon that (no pun intended).

You look at what George Lucas did with Star Wars and 20th Century Fox, and he had much less bargaining power than Marvel had, but he was able to retain all the rights to the characters and thus built his empire upon that (no pun intended).

Fox didn't knew what they had when they agreed to give Lucas what he wanted, and by the time they did he had all the leverage.

Last edited:
Fox didn't knew what they had when they agreed to give Lucas what he wanted, and by the time they did he had all the leverage.

Yeah Fox thought the movie was going to flop big time and the execs were ready to run away from it. Their was a lot of negativity about SW from FOX. They even thought about just canning it and not releasing the movie as they thought it would cause them to lose more money by releasing it. I just remember reading all this and also how when SW was filmed for the execs they were like what the f@#^ is this??, LOL! They ran kicking and screaming to give all that power to Lucas. I'm sure to this day they are still regretting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"