Agent Carter Marvel Readying 'Agent Carter' Series!

Raiden

Wakanda Forever
Reaction score
The project is inspired by a one-shot highlighted on the "Iron Man 3" Blu-ray featuring "Captain America's" Hayley Atwell.

As Marvel is poised to launch its first scripted venture next week with ABC's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the comic book and entertainment company may be prepping another drama inspired by characters in the feature films.

What ABC's 'Agents of SHIELD' Will Need to Do to Get an Audience - And Save the Network
Marvel is in the early stages of prepping a potential TV series based on Agent Carter, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed, though no deals are currently in place.

Agent Carter is a one-shot set to be released Sept. 24 as an extra on the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray. Agent Carter takes place a year after the events of Captain America: The First Avenger and follows Steve Rogers' (Chris Evans) girlfriend Agent Carter (portrayed by Hayley Atwell) as she builds her career as a secret agent while the hero is frozen in ice. (Worth noting: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was based on Item 47, an original short included on The Avengers DVD.) It's unclear if Atwell would reprise her role should the project officially move forward. (ABC and Marvel declined comment.)

No network is currently attached, though Marvel Entertainment is housed at ABC parent company Disney, making the network home to S.H.I.E.L.D. a likely candidate.

For Marvel, the potential project comes as the company is readying its Captain America follow-up, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, with Evans reprising his role. Revenge star Emily VanCamp will play Agent 13 -- Carter's niece -- in the sequel.

Word of the project comes as comics-inspired fare continues to be hot at the broadcast networks. The CW is also developing a spinoff of Arrow featuring The Flash, with Glee's Grant Gustin attached to play the speedster.

m9ltp6n.gif

vJCQzjm.gif

****ing ace. I was just saying how awesome it was in the other thread. It really did feel like something that could be a TV show too, from the short. My only concern is Marvel only developing "spy" shows, although there would be a pretty noticeable difference between Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, since Agent Carter would be period.

Plus, I wanted the next show that Marvel does to be Daredevil. Well, we see. I'm sure the fact that they're developing a show around a female will make some people happy. Shoot, the fact they're really considering making a TV show out of freaking Peggy Carter shows how far we've come.

My only real concern is that the article said it is unclear if Atwell will reprise her role as Agent Carter, but Atwell already expressed interest in a movie or series based on Peggy Carter after she finished shooting Agent Carter, so I think if they offer it to her she will take it without hesitation.

Wow, can't believe that Marvel is actually serious about a series that focuses on Peggy. They're awesome!

I would also hope that Hayley Atwell would reprise her role. It wouldn't be the same with another actress playing Peggy, especially if that became the more known portrayal simply by sheer number of episodes and screen time compared to CA: TFA.

Also, I wonder how easy it would be to make this series. It would definitely have to be a period piece, which would make it far more expensive.

If they did make this, I would hope to see all of the Howling Commandos featuring, especially Dum Dum. But then, what about Tommy Lee Jones, Dominic Cooper and Natalie Dormer? I could see the latter two appearing but don't know if Tommy would put in a small screen appearance.

I did also want a Daredevil tv series. Hopefully if this is a success, Marvel will consider other things such as DD or the Punisher.

I haven't seen the one shot yet but I'm already fully on board for this!

If they did make this, I would hope to see all of the Howling Commandos featuring, especially Dum Dum. But then, what about Tommy Lee Jones, Dominic Cooper and Natalie Dormer? I could see the latter two appearing but don't know if Tommy would put in a small screen appearance..
I haven't read the Songs Of Ice And Fire books, but I'd guess Dormers character will have a rather big part in GoT for the next few seasons, with her role in the failed american Sherlock rip-off I don't know how much time she will have to show up in yet another series, but I'd love to see her in Agent Carter. Same goes for Dm Dum, you can't have enough of him.
TLJ however, after seeing the one-shot, I don't see how his character fits in here. Stark clearly has taken over the SSR, so I doubt TLJ will show up. If so than in the pilot for a small cameo or in the last episode of season one

This is a great move on Marvel's part. When I read interviews with Louis D'Esposito about Agent Carter I was fairly certain that a TV show was in the works, but I'm surprised to hear news so soon. From everything that D'Esposito and Hayley Atwell have said it's a good bet that she will reprise the role of Peggy Carter if the series goes forward. This would work out well for Hayley because she would headline a high-profile show on American TV that would be syndicated around the world and tie in to the Marvel franchise. And Agent Carter is a great fit for ABC because their stock in trade is female-oriented programming.

This rectifies the second-greatest tragedy of Captain America: The First Avenger: the fact that Marvel's best female character had to be left behind in the 1940s, presumably never to be seen again. Now we may get to see more kickass adventures with Peggy and I couldn't be happier about that. (The greatest tragedy of TFA was that Steve & Peggy never got to see their relationship through.)

In Deadline's article about Agent Carter, it mentioned that there are several other TV projects in the works at Marvel. People wanting to see other superheroes will likely get their wish, sooner rather than later.

Awesome.

Hope this leads to some WWII/Cold War-era Invaders characters and some Golden/Silver Age heroes/villains.

I hope that Chris Evans can reprise his role as Cap. It doesn't always have to be set after he was frozen in the ice and Peggy had to move on with her life. They can sometimes have flashbacks to those years when they were together. And if Evans did guest star, we know it wouldn't be a cheap TV costume but the movie one.

this may be premature. I'm not offended by an Agent Carter series, but the SHIELD show has yet to premiere. Who knows what the ratings arc will be for the show-- hopefully it will be consistently highly rated, but right now we just don't know. November and May sweeps will be additionally high stakes times. There's obvious competition from CBS's NCIS show. Right now, I'd say that an interesting way to weave in Carter's adventures would be via flashback in the SHIELD series.

this may be premature. I'm not offended by an Agent Carter series, but the SHIELD show has yet to premiere. Who knows what the ratings arc will be for the show-- hopefully it will be consistently highly rated, but right now we just don't know. November and May sweeps will be additionally high stakes times. There's obvious competition from CBS's NCIS show. Right now, I'd say that an interesting way to weave in Carter's adventures would be via flashback in the SHIELD series.

Well, there certainly is potential in crossover episodes there, and I'd hope that both shows take advantage of any opportunity to cross-promo.

This is a fantastic idea. First of all, more Hayley Atwell is NEVER a bad thing. Second, setting it during the Cold War could lead to some interesting new stories. Third, we could get some of the Howling Commandos back (more Neal McDonough please). We could even maybe get Howard Stark in a recurring role. Peggy is a great character and seeing more of her would be awesome.

I'll definitely be supportive of this, but I'm more than a mite skeptical. A period piece version of SHIELD doesn't seem like the best new show, especially when we have Agents of SHIELD already. Still, if both are good, I really, really won't care, and happily watch them back to back as they explore the corners of the same Marvel Universe in different eras.

Zodiac over here, unregistered gifted over there... fun times had by all...

Agent Carter as well as the Howling Commandos in a tv show would be great.

As much as I'd love a daily dose of Atwell. I'm kind of skeptical of an entire series based around her character. Network TV is a fickle beast.

I wouldn't JUST be her. The HC and maybe even Howard Stark would probably be there. Also, we could explore the history of Nick Fury as well.

This is a great move on Marvel's part. When I read interviews with Louis D'Esposito about Agent Carter I was fairly certain that a TV show was in the works, but I'm surprised to hear news so soon. From everything that D'Esposito and Hayley Atwell have said it's a good bet that she will reprise the role of Peggy Carter if the series goes forward. This would work out well for Hayley because she would headline a high-profile show on American TV that would be syndicated around the world and tie in to the Marvel franchise. And Agent Carter is a great fit for ABC because their stock in trade is female-oriented programming.

This rectifies the second-greatest tragedy of Captain America: The First Avenger: the fact that Marvel's best female character had to be left behind in the 1940s, presumably never to be seen again. Now we may get to see more kickass adventures with Peggy and I couldn't be happier about that. (The greatest tragedy of TFA was that Steve & Peggy never got to see their relationship through.)

In Deadline's article about Agent Carter, it mentioned that there are several other TV projects in the works at Marvel. People wanting to see other superheroes will likely get their wish, sooner rather than later.

In CA:TWS, Peggy is back in present day as photos show Hayley in a grey wig and residing in what looks like a retirement community. I think it's likely that her and Steve will finally get that dance in Modern day.

As for other TV projects, I don't know if one of them is Jessica Jones that was conceived a few years ago.

In CA:TWS, Peggy is back in present day as photos show Hayley in a grey wig and residing in what looks like a retirement community. I think it's likely that her and Steve will finally get that dance in Modern day.

As for other TV projects, I don't know if one of them is Jessica Jones that was conceived a few years ago.
True, but she's in her 90's now, its not really the same thing. The real tragedy is them not getting the chance to build a actual relationship.

Meh

With so many possibilities i find this one the least interesting.

Why, she's a great character and the Cold War is a great time period to explore. Not everything has to be "all superheroes, all the time." Marvel comics are not even like that.

I'll definitely be supportive of this, but I'm more than a mite skeptical. A period piece version of SHIELD doesn't seem like the best new show, especially when we have Agents of SHIELD already. Still, if both are good, I really, really won't care, and happily watch them back to back as they explore the corners of the same Marvel Universe in different eras.

Zodiac over here, unregistered gifted over there... fun times had by all...

Totally agree with everything said here.

While it would be cool to have both shows, an Agent Carter series at this point feels a little redundant. I'm not sure that the source material would be all that different from Agents of SHIELD, so why not just use flashback episodes with Peggy as a change of pace for the show? I'd still watch it though, Atwell was outstanding in the One-Shot.

EDIT: If they do intend to move forward with an Agent Carter series, it would give Marvel a way to keep a presence on TV year-round... when Agents of SHIELD goes on hiatus, Agent Carter steps in. Not sure if that's overkill, but it'd certainly be a way to maintain a lot of viewers' interests.

Last edited:

While it would be cool to have both shows, an Agent Carter series at this point feels a little redundant. I'm not sure that the source material would be all that different from Agents of SHIELD, so why not just use flashback episodes with Peggy as a change of pace for the show? I'd still watch it though, Atwell was outstanding in the One-Shot.

EDIT: If they do intend to move forward with an Agent Carter series, it would give Marvel a way to keep a presence on TV year-round... when Agents of SHIELD goes on hiatus, Agent Carter steps in. Not sure if that's overkill, but it'd certainly be a way to maintain a lot of viewers' interests.
Because we have no idea what kind of show this would be, so saying that AOS makes it redundant is highly premature. Also, I'd much rather see Hayley Atwell on a weekly basis than having her only appear occasionally on another show, that's just silly, that's a waste of a good character.

Indeed... that could be one thing. They also could make the show a more serial type of character twisty type show, where allegiances and alliances and resources and betrayals and such go back and forth. I do like the idea of Agent Carter as a summer series or something like that. That would pwn for me.

It's not that it would be a bad show, at all, it's just... there are so many other Marvel TV shows I'd rather see, so many other marvel female heroes I'd rather see... (say, one with super powers, anyone?) it's hard to celebrate this.

Because we have no idea what kind of show this would be, so saying that AOS makes it redundant is highly premature. Also, I'd much rather see Hayley Atwell on a weekly basis than having her only appear occasionally on another show, that's just silly, that's a waste of a good character.

Have you seen the Agent Carter short? If so, you should have a very strong idea what kind of show it would be. If not... then speak for yourself. Are you saying any good character that doesn't appear weekly is wasted?

Last edited:
Why, she's a great character and the Cold War is a great time period to explore. Not everything has to be "all superheroes, all the time." Marvel comics are not even like that.
Did i ever say i would like to see a gero instead? I like the setting, i like the character, but i feel like there are other characters and franchises who deserve this treatment more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"