Agent Carter Agent Carter - S01E08 - "Valediction"

God what a great show, loved the ending:csad:

That was a great finale! Peggy and company were great throughout. :)

We're still going with this "women are being treated bad" theme? Season 1 preferred ending would had been Carter running the show, this Agent Thompson drama was unneeded.

For some reason,it's woven into the tapestry of the series. I don't expect it to change much. I hope it does going forward, as it got pretty heavy handed at times.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I wonder how the reaction would be if this same premise were used with a black man instead of a woman. "Great work Anderson. By the way,would you mind shining my shoes in my office before you leave?" I don't think it would go over too well with viewers. But I think most people sorta accept men will typically act as neanderthals toward women if given half a chance.:shrug:

Amazing way to close off the series. The parallels with other MCU moments were done perfectly. Howard was a delight as always, and Peggy had some absolutely heartbreaking scenes (the true goodbye to Cap was earned by the AC producers. Could have felt forced, but it made the show feel like a touching epilogue to TFA)

In terms of the One-Shot, just massage the facts of what happens. Remember in that, Stark actually runs the SSR. And the end of the episode strongly implies that Stark is setting up SHIELD - he says that his inventions are no good under any government, implying he's going above and beyond them.

Anyway, great ending. It left the show with the potential to do more, but by no means an obligation

I need season 2. Right now. :funny: Behind Winter Soldier, this is my favourite thing Marvel's put out and I think I like Peggy more than the protagonists in their films. :funny:

Now, season 2 with Zola in a recurring role please.

Amen to this. I haven't been overly impressed with most of the MCU but they've almost always nailed everything related to Captain America. Maybe because they're not afraid to ingest a little pathos in the series.

The scene with Carter and the blood was also touching and fitting, since they never recovered the body, she was on the Brooklyn Bridge, fitting tribute for "a skinny kid from Brooklyn."

Glad Dottie didn't die. Aside from Jarvis she's my favorite new character introduced in this series so far and she fills a huge gap in genuinely well done and threatening female villains in comic book movies/TV shows.

All in all the series ends on even footing with this episode being another very good one. But since this is the season finale I was kind of expecting a marked increase in quality to allow them to go out on a substantial high note. IMO other than the Zola reveal at the end, this episode was just par for the course for this excellent series and so there wasn't much of an uptick for the climax. No problems though, True Detective had the same problem last year with the finale and that series is phenominal. When you have such a good median range of quality for the entire series it can be difficult to kick it up even more for the last episode in a way that will be satisfying. Oh well.

8.5/10

For some reason,it's woven into the tapestry of the series. I don't expect it to change much. I hope it does going forward, as it got pretty heavy handed at times.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I wonder how the reaction would be if this same premise were used with a black man instead of a woman. "Great work Anderson. By the way,would you mind shining my shoes in my office before you leave?" I don't think it would go over too well with viewers. But I think most people sorta accept men will typically act as neanderthals toward women if given half a chance.:shrug:
Watch the Knick.

Consider me... underwhelmed by this end.

Anyone else notice that this whole show makes the One-Shot 'Agent Carter' ... NOT WORK. We clearly see by the end of this season she's an integral member of the S.S.R. in the eyes of her peers, yet in the one shot she never is until Howard brings her along to form SHIELD.

It doesn't work. It's completely contradicted what is supposed to be MCU Canon.

Maybe you could judge the episode based on its own merits and not based on whether it affects something else?

Anyway, to me, it's a retcon. Assume what's contradicted is no longer there but everything that's not contradicted is still valid. I would simply time jump Stark's ending - have everything with Zodiac happen first and then assume the ending with Stark happens years later after everything with the SSR. Alternatively, you can assume she gets a new boss who treats her like dirt and then the thing with Zodiac happens (in that case, it's only the year that's necessarily wrong).

But this is really a side topic, since the episode deserves to be judged on its own merits.

Amazing way to close off the series. The parallels with other MCU moments were done perfectly. Howard was a delight as always, and Peggy had some absolutely heartbreaking scenes (the true goodbye to Cap was earned by the AC producers. Could have felt forced, but it made the show feel like a touching epilogue to TFA)

In terms of the One-Shot, just massage the facts of what happens. Remember in that, Stark actually runs the SSR. And the end of the episode strongly implies that Stark is setting up SHIELD - he says that his inventions are no good under any government, implying he's going above and beyond them.

Anyway, great ending. It left the show with the potential to do more, but by no means an obligation

The episode ends in May 1946. That still leaves seven months for Stark to become the head of the SSR (or one of the heads) and for Peggy to be transferred to another office to work under Agent Flynn. Also, don't forget that Stark talks about Peggy "running S.H.I.E.L.D." with him in the One-Shot, but there's not a single mention of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the series. Therefore, there's still plenty of time to put all the little pieces together.

But there is a hint of SHIELD being founded, so it certainly fits in timeline-wise right now :)

The episode ends in May 1946. That still leaves seven months for Stark to become the head of the SSR (or one of the heads) and for Peggy to be transferred to another office to work under Agent Flynn. Also, don't forget that Stark talks about Peggy "running S.H.I.E.L.D." with him in the One-Shot, but there's not a single mention of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the series. Therefore, there's still plenty of time to put all the little pieces together.

While that's true, those who want continuity ease with the one-shot should probably root against a second season. The impression I get is they want to keep the SSR until the very end.

So with the discussion of the one-shot and what one year later means and all that, did anyone else realize that the season finale takes place pretty much exactly a year after Cap goes down in the Valkyrie (he goes down right around VE-day in early May 1945). IMO, this makes Peggy letting go of the blood on the Brooklyn bridge (sending what's left of him back home, as it were) all the more poignant as it's essentially the first anniversary of his 'death'.

Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

So with the discussion of the one-shot and what one year later means and all that, did anyone else realize that the season finale takes place pretty much exactly a year after Cap goes down in the Valkyrie (he goes down right around VE-day in early May 1945). IMO, this makes Peggy letting go of the blood on the Brooklyn bridge (sending what's left of him back home, as it were) all the more poignant as it's essentially the first anniversary of his 'death'.

Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

Actually, he crashed the Valkyrie in March 1945.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...appears.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141214104013

latest

The good doctor kinda reminds me of Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs. How is he supposed to eat with that thing on his head?

^My guess would be when they take it off at meal times. Probably under guards wearing earplugs.

Great final. I hope the show is renewed.

Nitpick : the Lecter mask is cool but I don't like the fact that The Doc is able to hypnotize people with his voice especially when said person is unwilling to cooperate.
I liked the ring as an hypno device.

To be fair, it's comics accurate. Faustus used his voice alone, not technology, for his mind control.

I just heard a theory that the ring he used could be one of the eventual 10 rings of the Mandarin(the REAL Mandarin). The Mandarin actually does have a ring which specifically allows him to project illusions into the minds of others and place people under his mental control. It's the Mento-Intensifier/The Liar ring which he wears on the ring finger of his left hand. What do you think?

The producers have said it's not that at all, but it could always be retconned later if they wanted it to.

Doing that with the rings would make Mandarin a more recent creation or he lost his rings at some point in the past.

It would alter the comic story of how he made the rings from the remnants of a crashed alien spaceship's hyper-drive or whatever and would make them predate him. All in all it's not THAT much of a departure when looking at how some other things were changed from the comics. They can still be alien technology from a downed space craft just not of his own invention. I dunno, I've heard worse ideas. It's no more radical a departure than making the cosmic cube an infinity gem...er, stone.

I was thinking more of how it would effect Mandarin's legacy and power over the Ten Rings organization.

Well instead of being the one who made the rings he's the one who brought them all together. It's not that big of a difference. He can still found the 10 Rings organization after finding all the rings. And it's not without precedent as that's kind of how IM:AA went with it(not the greatest example, I realize).

What a great Season Finale I really hope we get a Season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"