Marvel TV Series Marvel Studios' Wakanda

BaelaTargaryen

Sidekick
Reaction score

EXCLUSIVE: The Walt Disney Company has extended its relationship with Black Panther director and co-writer Ryan Coogler. Disney has made a five-year overall exclusive television deal with Coogler’s Proximity Media, which he runs with principals Zinzi Coogler, Sev Ohanian, Ludwig Göransson, Archie Davis and Peter Nicks. Coogler, who is working on the Black Panther feature sequel he will direct this year, will develop new television series for the studio. The first one will delight Black Panther fans: a drama based in the Kingdom of Wakanda for Disney+. The deal also enables Proximity to develop television for other divisions of the Company.

“Ryan Coogler is a singular storyteller whose vision and range have made him one of the standout filmmakers of his generation,” said Bob Iger, Executive Chairman, The Walt Disney Company. “With Black Panther, Ryan brought a groundbreaking story and iconic characters to life in a real, meaningful and memorable way, creating a watershed cultural moment. We’re thrilled to strengthen our relationship and look forward to telling more great stories with Ryan and his team.”

Said Coogler: “It’s an honor to be partnering with The Walt Disney Company. Working with them on Black Panther was a dream come true. As avid consumers of television, we couldn’t be happier to be launching our television business with Bob Iger, Dana Walden and all the amazing studios under the Disney umbrella. We look forward to learning, growing, and building a relationship with audiences all over the world through the Disney platforms. We are especially excited that we will be taking our first leap with Kevin Feige, Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso and their partners at Marvel Studios where we will be working closely with them on select MCU shows for Disney+. We’re already in the mix on some projects that we can’t wait to share,” stated Ryan Coogler on behalf of Proximity Media.”

This is exciting. Imagine all the black characters and stories that can be told set in this Marvel world.

Can’t wait.

Hui, that could be a hot take. I hope this series will released after the BPII movie.

Hui, that could be a hot take. I hope this series will released after the BPII movie.

It totally will, BP is set to film in March? Though with the main film now being set around everyone, I wonder how this will be different.

Omg this is awesome and something I wanted, when they announced all the projects.
Maybe we‘ll get information on the shareholder meeting next month

Last edited:
Could be a show about the Dora Milaje

Depending on the plot, this could set up Kraven The Hunter for Spider-Man

Cool.

I wonder if my guess about what approach they'll take with the second film will be used to lead into this show.

My guess is that it'll be a show about the Dora (or more specifically a girl training to become one), although two other distinct possibilities come to mind for me:
  1. They're actually gonna make a Finding Wakanda documentary, complete with all the trappings I mentioned in the posts I made about the idea about a year or so ago: Pitch your Black Panther related Disney streaming show
  2. It could be a prequel series about T'Challa's upbringing, so you still have the character but you actually get to learn more about him and more of Wakanda's past through his eyes. I figure there'd be a nice symbolism in letting someone else, a new young black actor, taking on the role in a roundabout way. (Maybe get that kid who played him in that one flashback scene that got cut from the first film; give him more of a chance to shine.) Could be a cute way to memorialize and send off this version of the character before the [in my opinion still inevitable] alternate reality/universe recasting a few more years down the road. (Then you'd have 3 people having played T'Challa in a sort of multigenerational way, which is what some folks were arguing for in the pro-recast camp.)

Last edited:
My guess is that it'll be a show about the Dora (or more specifically a girl training to become one), although two other distinct possibilities come to mind for me:
  1. They're actually gonna make a Finding Wakanda documentary, complete with all the trappings I mentioned in the posts I made about the idea about a year or so ago: Pitch your Black Panther related Disney streaming show
  2. It could be a prequel series about T'Challa's upbringing, so you still have the character but you actually get to learn more about him and more of Wakanda's past through his eyes. I figure there'd be a nice symbolism in letting someone else, a new young black actor, taking on the role in a roundabout way. (Maybe get that kid who played him in that one flashback scene that got cut from the first film; give him more of a chance to shine.) Could be a cute way to memorialize and send off this version of the character before the [in my opinion still inevitable] alternate reality/universe recasting a few more years down the road. (Then you'd have 3 people having played T'Challa in a sort of multigenerational way, which is what some folks were arguing for in the pro-recast camp.)

A show about the Dora? Maybe they'll be explorers.

this needs to have White Wolf in it!

Call me crazy, but I think Coogler would be better suited in the rest of the world of cinema and not so much superhero entertainment. Don't get me wrong, he's good at the comic book genre, but I'd hate to see him stay too long in this world. His talents are needed elsewhere.

His contract with Disney, at least as described, isn't limited to just the Marvel stuff. I imagine they've got him for some original projects as well.

His contract with Disney, at least as described, isn't limited to just the Marvel stuff. I imagine they've got him for some original projects as well.

I would not be at all surprised if his deal with Disney includes documentaries and docuseries for ESPN

I definitely want a Wakanda TV series on Disney Plus and we get to see Okoye as the lead but we would also have to have Shuri and M Baku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"