Judas and the Black Messiah

Totally solid movie with incredible performances. Kaluuya is clearly deserving of all the accolades, but I already see people overlooking Dominique Fishback who was amazing herself.

Totally solid movie with incredible performances. Kaluuya is clearly deserving of all the accolades, but I already see people overlooking Dominique Fishback who was amazing herself.

Dominique Fishback is pretty great in it too, but I feel like she got a bit overshadowed by the other three. She's a talented actress for sure though and I've liked her ever since I first saw her in The Deuce.

Shaka King’s “Judas and the Black Messiah” is a mesmerizing and thrilling historical drama. Daniel Kaluuya delivers one of the best acting performances of the year. His best to date. Dominque Fishback delivered a highly emotive performance. Kaluuya is the soul & breath of the movie, Fishback is the heart. LaKeith Stanfield delivered a nuanced yet gripping lead performance.

The movie has impressively focused direction, strong performances from the entire cast, and an outstanding score. I am inspired to learn more about Fred Hampton. Study Hampton’s politics! Understand the FBI, police, and U.S. government’s roles in killing and oppressing Black people, and dismantling Black liberation movements.

Fred Hampton was 21. Let that sink in, Fred Hampton was 21. A 21 year old became a chairman of the Black Panthers, fed families, educated communities, led a revolution, & united rival gangs in Chicago & gave an entire group of people hope. The U.S. government fears Black liberation & they assassinated a 21 year old.

“Judas and the Black Messiah” angered me, saddened me, and encouraged me to always be proud to be Black. Be proud of what my ancestors have sacrificed in the face of evil. Fred Hampton inspires activism in marching closer than the day before ✊ to freedom.

upload_2021-2-13_22-17-45.jpeg

Last edited:
Great movie but just too sad to watch again. I really wish they would teach this subject matter in high school. There’s a reason why blacks people are distrustful of government.

Yeah we haven't really been given a reason, hence our hesitancy about the vaccines.

Incredibly powerful film and as already mentioned, these stories should be taught in school and not just during Black History Month.

They won't be doing that. They actually had parents wanting to opt out of black history this month.

Even what is taught about black people in schools is heavily edited. The reality is that what is mostly taught in history classes is more propaganda than historical fact. There is a reason all the confederate revisionist propaganda was so successful.

Nicholas Hoult is happy for the success of his old Skins buddies Daniel Kalyuua and Dev Patel. Hoult has talked in the past about how the Skins cast is the closest too him from all the jobs his done. They really bonded as teens on the show and still keep in touch.

Last edited:
Lakeith was doing some serious eye acting in this role. No matter what his O'Neal said or did, his eyes always revealed how he was really feeling. He has the less showy job here, but still every bit as great as Kaluuya was in this, maybe better.

Wonderful and powerful film that put me on the brink of tears. Shaka King directed the heck outta this. One of the best films I’ve seen all year, maybe might end up being my favorite film from this year. Daniel Kaluuya and Lakekith Stanfield were great standouts for me acting wise. It would be a crime if neither one of them get nominated for an Oscar, same with King for best director. I would hate to see this movie seen and forgotten. This flick deserves to be seen and remembered for a long time, and I truly hope this film finds a large audience.

Last edited:
Lakeith was doing some serious eye acting in this role. No matter what his O'Neal said or did, his eyes always revealed how he was really feeling. He has the less showy job here, but still every bit as great as Kaluuya was in this, maybe better.
Knowing nothing of the story going in, I thought it was going to a Donnie Brasco type role but I’m glad it was more about them as independent people rather than their relationship.

So when does Shaka King get a Marvel or DC job. Impressive job.

The movie was even better on a 2nd watch.

I'm sure he was.

Just finished Judas And The Black Messiah. SOLID movie from start to finish. I'm old enough to remember the Huey P. Newton/Bobby Seale Panther movie, so I'm glad this film gives you a glimpse into Fred Hampton's life as well as his life work before his brutal assassination.

This was a man out for the betterment of his people and TRUE revolution. But that's the part of the Black Panther party you never hear about. Never the good. History will have you believing they were monsters, when the REAL monsters are the ones that conspired and used illegal tactics (as well as another Black man) to take Hampton down. The police raid scene was difficult to watch.

But I'm glad these stories are being told. Both with PANTHER in 1995 and Judas And The Black Messiah. I hope this leads to more stories about the Black Panthers, the TRUTH about the positive work they did in their communities and their place in Black history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"