• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Masters of Doom - TV series about the creation of the video game “Doom”

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Upcoming Doom TV series will focus on the iconic game’s creation at id Software | TechRadar

The series will focus on the company's key founders, programmer John Carmack and designer John Romero – two best friends who would go on to become bitter rivals following a major falling out during the development of id Software's Doom II follow-up, Quake.

Tom Bissell has been tapped for pilot writing duties – a great choice given his previous work on the game-themed book Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter and as lead writer on Gears of War 4, along with the indispensable knowledge he would've likely gained from his time working at id Software as a game tester.

Masters of Doom will be produced by James and Dave Franco's company Ramona Films, which made the award-winning film The Disaster Artist based on a book which Bissell co-authored.

I’m actually super keen for this. It’s actually a fascinating story

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-27-masters-of-doom-tv-series-casts-its-carmack-and-romero

According to US pay-per-view channel USA Network, which has commissioned the Masters of Doom TV pilot, Eduardo Franco (American Vandal, Booksmart) will star as John Romero, described in the press release as "a brilliant young programmer and designer determined to become the video game industry's first rock star".

Carmack, meanwhile, "a self-taught genius whose unparalleled programming skill allows him to help create the first-person-shooter genre-and lay the groundwork for the rise of virtual reality", will be portrayed by The OA's Patrick Gibson.

Additionally, id Software co-founder Tom Hall - "a tragically lovable young game designer who becomes the heart and soul of the two Johns' groundbreaking company" - will be played by John Karna (Lady Bird), and Jane Ackermann will star as Romero's wife Hannah.

Peter Friedman (Succession) is 1987 Shreveport Businessman of the Year Al Vekovius, and Siobhan Williams (Deadly Class, Mary Queen of Scots) takes on the role of Stevie Case, a "brash and charismatic young woman who becomes one of the first female professional gamers - and John Romero's girlfriend."

The Masters of Doom pilot will be directed by Rhys Thomas, but USA Network has not, as yet, offered any word on a potential release date.

Looking forward to this one. Romero and Carmack were my second parents in 90s.

Yeah it’s funny, only recently have I worked out that the story behind doom and ID software is actually quite interesting. I would actually love to see more stories from the industry and find out about their process and how they create iconic characters etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"