Masters of the Universe (1987)

Ultron-5

Sidekick
Reaction score
After rewatching this movie I have to say it's not THAT bad. It's still not really all that good but it has some good things about it, mainly Frank Langella as Skeletor. What do you guys think about the movie?
Masters-of-the-Universe-1987.jpg

Last edited:
It was awesome to me as a kid&teen and I would often watch it. Now as an adult I reliaze it ain't actually great but not too horrible either

Watched for the first time in years before Christmas. It really is pretty damn underrated.

When I first saw it on video as a kid, I got upset how they wasted their own 'Boba Fett' type character Saurod. Why kill him when you got stupid Blades and small headed Karg there instead?

This was one of my favorites as a kid and I still have a soft spot for it. At least they tried to make a good film out of what was best known for being a cheesy cartoon designed to sell toys, more so than the Bayformer flicks.

I've always had a soft spot for this movie... definitely a guilty pleasure. :hehe:

It's about as good as you could have hoped for from a low budget, 80's, Cannon produced MOTU film. Also, the way they got around budget restrictions by setting most of the film on Earth (but still tying it all in with the established mythology). Langella was a great Skeletor and Dolph made for a descent He-Man. Also, young Courtney Cox. :hrt:

I loved the soundtrack by Rocky's Bill Conti

The first movie I saw at the cinema and I've loved it ever since. Still watch it from time to time, but when I was a kid I watched this, Transformers and G.I. Joe all the time.

Chelsea Field Teela too. Hubba hubba.

MOTU has a place in my heart, if only the reduced budget hadn't dictated that they had to set the majority of the movie on Earth rather than Eternia. Or that we didnt get Battle Cat. And Gwildor was definitely a poor mans Orko. That being said, I don't think anyone else could have looked more 'He-manish' than Dolph (was that the biggest he's ever been in a movie) and Langella was cool. That Struzan poster (like all of his posters) is iconic too. It literally is a work of art.

I love that movie. It had some great moments and a great score. It could be alot better though.

If I were in charge of the remake, I'd look to something like the mask of Zorro and I'd have Dolph in the role of the hooded original heman and a young actor taking up the mantle of the new. With the body type of prince adam complete with laser blasters and a sword that grants super strength and such.
Matthew Vaughn would be my choice to direct, him or Bird. But that's me.

A bit of a guilty pleasure.

Frank Langella is undeniably great as Skeletor. He makes the movie for me.

He's better than a lot of modern comic book movie villains.

When I first saw it on video as a kid, I got upset how they wasted their own 'Boba Fett' type character Saurod. Why kill him when you got stupid Blades and small headed Karg there instead?

This I agree!
He was the coolest looking character in the pack and a BAMF for pulling his blaster out on Skeletor.

Fantastic film. All it needed was Orko.

Pretty darn enjoyable. Langella in one of my top ten favorite villain performances.

canon basiclly killed it before it could get out of the gate, low budget, changes constantly and pulling funds before they could film an ending hence the strobe light fight

Yeah, for years I thought Skelator picked on him for no reason,but the ***** had it coming!:argh:

I think they picked Saurod to kill off because he was probably the most expensive to do. He was certainly very cool looking.

This was one of the films I grew up on.

Watched it recently. Still awesome :D

Loved it as a kid. Skeletor was great. I never liked bringing it to Earth and using advanced weaponry though.

Yeah, for years I thought Skelator picked on him for no reason,but the ***** had it coming!:argh:

I think they picked Saurod to kill off because he was probably the most expensive to do. He was certainly very cool looking.

Process of elimination. Karg you need for exposition purposes, Beast Man is the only recognizable henchman from the original franchise, and Blades was awesome.

When those villains break into that school gym, that was so laughable. They looked more like a bunch of people on drugs dressed up in weird costumes with their shenanigans.

The film is very much a product of the 1980s. Not MOTU 80s, but more like teen 80s movies.

When those villains break into that school gym, that was so laughable. They looked more like a bunch of people on drugs dressed up in weird costumes with their shenanigans.

The film is very much a product of the 1980s. Not MOTU 80s, but more like teen 80s movies.

It was an early crossover.He-Man meets John Hughes.:hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"