MCU Box Office

MCU - Phase 4

Black Widow - 80M OW / Domestic: 183M + International: 195M = Worldwide: 379M (Disney+)
Shang-Chi - 75M OW / Domestic: 224M + International: 207M = Worldwide: 431M
Eternals - 71M OW / Domestic: 164M + International: 236M = Worldwide: 400M
Spider-Man: NWH - 260M OW / Domestic: 698M + International: 926M = 1.62B * (Ongoing BO run)

I’m beginning to think that the pandemic restrictions kind of worked in SM:NWH’s favor. It feels like people where really wanting to experience some level of theatrical escapism after these last couple of rough years and the critically well received film about well known, liked and recognizable characters provided just that.

At this rate it will gross around 1.6B or so, without a release in China… Those are great BO results even for pre-pandemic standards let alone the times we live in.

Last edited:
I don't think Dr strange box office is that disappointing considering it was banned in china, some parts of the middle east, and had no Russia. The only thing that was disappointing was the legs.

Thor Love and Thunder on the other hand is probably not gonna make marvel studios any money in profits. Yikes

I guess if nothing changes in 3 years. Those movies won't be out in China, Russia, Ukraine and the Middle East.

MCU Phase 4 - Worldwide

Spider-Man: NWH - 1.88B
Doctor Strange: MOM - 954M
Thor: Love and Thunder - 705M *(Ongoing)
Shang-Chi - 432M
Eternals - 402M
Black Widow - 379M *(D+)

Post Covid plus no China, Russia…

Last edited:
MCU Phase 4 - Worldwide

Thor: Love and Thunder - 662M *(Ongoing)
Shang-Chi - 432M
Eternals - 402M
Black Widow - 379M *(D+)

Post Covid plus no China, Russia…
Without those territories (and I guess Ukraine and some of the Middle East), numbers like $700m and $800m are much better than they used to be.

Without those territories (and I guess Ukraine and some of the Middle East), numbers like $700m and $800m are much better than they used to be.
Yes, plus a shortened theatrical window coupled with a parallel D+ release. So yeh, a few important factors to take into consideration when looking at the BO results and comparing it with the past.

In all fairness an asterisk should be used when comparing these things because they’re apple and oranges at this point.

Yes, plus a shortened theatrical window coupled with a parallel D+ release. So yeh, a few important factors to take into consideration when looking at the BO results and comparing it with the past.

In all fairness an asterisk should be used when comparing these things because they’re apple and oranges at this point.
Yes true. Covid era films had many different challenges to contend with.

Multiverse of Madness would have done Civil War's numbers had it released in every market available, and that movie introduced Spider-Man and Black Panther. Love and Thunder I guess would have done sligthly more than Ragnarok which, considering its polarizing reception, would still have been a lot. I don't think box-office is a problem for Marvel, sure there does seem to be a bit of fatigue between audience and critics alike, but I think the biggest problem is to sort out the horrible condition of their VFX artists.

China is a huge loss for the MCU imo. The Asian markets in general(minus Japan) have a lot of MCU fans, that's literally a big chunk of the MCU fanbase. It's also why movies like Infinity War, Endgame, etc were able to rival & surpass the Star Wars films. The MCU isn't the strongest in Europe but the North, South America, and Asian markets carry this franchise. While something like Star Wars is huge in Europe, America and Japan but very weak in China & other Asian markets.

Black Panther made 1.2+ billion without China still but something like Ant-Man will probably need China. I can't imagine the next Avengers films having no China release since those are supposed to be THEE event films of the MCU....global events. A global event without the 2nd biggest box office market in the world... interesting.

Can Wakanda Forever be the first billion dollar MCU film since No Way Home? I think so. The question is how much will it drop from the first film or how much will it gain from the first film.

MCU Phase 4 - Worldwide

Thor: Love and Thunder - 720M *(Ongoing)
Shang-Chi - 432M
Eternals - 402M
Black Widow - 379M *(D+)

(Post Covid, plus no China, Russia…)

Hopefully Phase 5 can do better without Covid restrictions, but still without China and Russia.

I say that right now Marvel has the monopoly in spades.

View attachment 52062
Hmm there's no monopoly here. If WB knows how to run their DC films, movies like Justice League and Superman could make the same money as Avengers. While Universal, Paramount and Sony definitely could score more billion dollar films (Top Gun, Jurassic, Spider-Man) with the right films.

Hmm there's no monopoly here. If WB knows how to run their DC films, movies like Justice League and Superman could make the same money as Avengers. While Universal, Paramount and Sony definitely could score more billion dollar films (Top Gun, Jurassic, Spider-Man) with the right films.

Yeah. The only thing keeping Disney culturally dominant is that they are *better* at making big blockbuster movies right now. There is no structural or business reason other studios can't make appealing successful films, they just don't succeed as often because their movies haven't been as good.

( Note: "good" means "is something people want to watch and are willing to shell out money to see". A movie can have other virtues, but that is the ultimate virtue for any movie that is made with the intention of selling it to people on the open market. )

Universal still has the Fast & Furious.

WB had Aquaman and Joker grossed over a billion.

Paramount had Transformers making big bucks in the past.

Sony has plenty of ips under their belt.

I think the other studios also has the advantage of their films being released in China. Which we couldn't say to future mcu films.

Yeah. The only thing keeping Disney culturally dominant is that they are *better* at making big blockbuster movies right now. There is no structural or business reason other studios can't make appealing successful films, they just don't succeed as often because their movies haven't been as good.

( Note: "good" means "is something people want to watch and are willing to shell out money to see". A movie can have other virtues, but that is the ultimate virtue for any movie that is made with the intention of selling it to people on the open market. )
I think having a wider franchise like the MCU that can have event films (Avengers, CW) as well as spinoffs (all solos) all supporting each other is a unique advantage which helps during a downtime period and the by now in-built loyalty and momentum can see it through till it reaches a higher quality and more entertaining period. When other franchises get to that stage they can die off more easily.

Universal is winding down both fast and furious and also Jurassic park!! Haven heard anymore on paramount and transformers (though they are trying to get Star Trek back on point) personally wb can get their head out of their a$$. And she ny the bad hee I Han spidey has what…jumanji and…. So we will see

MCU Phase 4 - Worldwide

Doctor Strange: MOM - 955M
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 769M *
Thor: Love and Thunder - 760M
Shang-Chi - 432M
Eternals - 402M
Black Widow - 379M *(D+)

(*Ongoing)

MCU Phase 4 - Worldwide

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 769M *
Shang-Chi - 432M
Eternals - 402M
Black Widow - 379M *(D+)

(*Ongoing)
Goes to show how wild a success NWH was when compared to the other numbers!

Spider-Man is an established character that's been a huge flagship of Marvel for 60 years. He's on the mount Rushmore of Superheroes alongside Batman and Superman. He's also had a decade of films between The Raimi trilogy with Tobey Maguire, the duo with Webb starring Andrew Garfield and the latest successes in the world of the MCU featuring Tom Holland. I'd expect nothing less from the webslinging wonder.

These other characters aren't even in the same level. Also the hype for No Way Home was in the same league as The Avengers. Spider-Man No Way Home was an event, the same can't be said for the rest of the films of Phase 4 unfortunately.

MCU Phase 4 - Worldwide

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 858M
Shang-Chi - 432M
Eternals - 402M
Black Widow - 379M

MCU Phase 5 - Worldwide

AM&TW: Quantumania - 419M *
GOTG 3 - May 5th, 2023
The Marvels - Nov. 10th, 2023