Michael Keaton's Batman and Chris O'Donnell's Robin

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
14534889_0.xlarger.jpg

15034433.jpg

company070730_560.jpg

It's photos like these that makes me wonder and do a lot of wishful thinking about what if Michael Keaton had stayed on with the Batman franchise after "Batman Returns". Keaton out of the three Batman actors of the Burton-Schumacher era, seems to be the most suitable age wise, to plausibly play off the father-son dynamic between Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson. When Val Kilmer and George Clooney were involved, it was really more of a "big brother-little brother" scenario. Unfortunately, Keaton is about the same height as O'Donnell.

The only question remaining is how would Keaton's Batman convincingly accept a crime fighting sidekick? Tim Burton and Daniel Waters (who wrote the screenplay for "Batman Returns") never really liked the idea of Robin being around (citing that Batman should be the ultimate loner). There were some ideas being kicked around in the early drafts of the first two films concerning Robin. One involved the Joker randomly killing Dick Grayson's parents. While the other (for "Batman Returns") Robin being a street smart (a la Jason Todd) techno geek, who helps Batman fix the Batmobile. They actually wanted Marlon Wayans for the part.

Last edited:
Here's a bit of an idea of what a Burtonverse Robin suit could've looked like:
Batman_Returns_Robin_Jet_Foil_MISB_C-9+.jpg

Robincarded.jpg

Last edited:
Nah... I can't see Michael Keaton's Batman ever truly accepting a sidekick.

But had Burton stayed on for a third and decided now was the right time to bring Robin on-board in some capacity... then yeah, It could have worked.

Quite frankly, I could do without Robin altogether. No matter who plays Batman.

Quite frankly, I could do without Robin altogether. No matter who plays Batman.
Ditto. Unless he is introduced only to be killed by a villian later on. That wouldnt be so bad, but otherwise no Robin.

Keaton's too badass for Robin. Then again, so is Batman in general for that matter.

Here's a bit of an idea of what a Burtonverse Robin suit could've looked like:
Batman_Returns_Robin_Jet_Foil_MISB_C-9+.jpg

Robincarded.jpg

Eh...I ain't too sure about that; I think Kenner might have decided to just up and throw Robin into the line at the last minute to compensate for how dark and weird and not-so-kid-friendly the movie was going to be (just look at the Penguin figure for the same line: it's naught but the Super Powers toy repainted, instead of DeVito's gross bird-man).

In fact, it certainly doesn't match the description of the character in early versions of the Returns script, as mentioned at http://www.batmanytb.com/movies/batmanreturns/

The first draft for BATMAN II was finished in 1990. The plot: Catwoman and the Penguin would frame Batman, turning the poilce, and Gotham against him and Vicki Vale would be rescued by an acrobatic street kid named Dick.

In this script a more traditional Robin suit is brought up; however, this was only the first draft, hardly final enough for Kenner to start going by.

The script was thrown away and a new one was made. The New script did in fact have the two villians framing Batman, but now there was now Vicki Vale. Batman, however, was the one that was assited by a street kid named Dick, who had an "R" on his over alls.

THIS sounds more like the kind of approach Burton might have taken to Robin had he been amenable to the character. Which, of course, he wasn't. Bear in mind, the first draft also had the kid in a tattered raincoat...possibly a Burtonized stand-in for the yellow cape?

Again, just as it had happened for BATMAN, The part of Robin was dropped. WB denied that the part was even in there, but cast sheets had the part being played by Marlon Wayans.

I rest my case.

I still think the initial BATMAN II script was quite good...

Minus Robin, and keep the origins of Catwoman and Penguin from RETURNS...

All while taking place against the backdrop of a snowy Anton Furst Gotham - I think you would have had a pretty good movie. :brucebat:

Here's what Burton's Robin looked like;

CSH-020202.jpg

After going thru all the trouble of signing Marlon up for two films, and even a fitting, thankfully someone had a change of heart.

"So when do we need to get Marlon on the set"

"Yeah ... about that ..."

:yay:

As much of a weird casting as it was, im still interested in seeing how he woulda done as robin. or at least pics of him in a costume.

14534889_0.xlarger.jpg

15034433.jpg

company070730_560.jpg

It's photos like these that makes me wonder and do a lot of wishful thinking about what if Michael Keaton had stayed on with the Batman franchise after "Batman Returns". Keaton out of the three Batman actors of the Burton-Schumacher era, seems to be the most suitable age wise, to plausibly play off the father-son dynamic between Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson. When Val Kilmer and George Clooney were involved, it was really more of a "big brother-little brother" scenario. Unfortunately, Keaton is about the same height as O'Donnell.

The only question remaining is how would Keaton's Batman convincingly accept a crime fighting sidekick? Tim Burton and Daniel Waters (who wrote the screenplay for "Batman Returns") never really liked the idea of Robin being around (citing that Batman should be the ultimate loner). There were some ideas being kicked around in the early drafts of the first two films concerning Robin. One involved the Joker randomly killing Dick Grayson's parents. While the other (for "Batman Returns") Robin being a street smart (a la Jason Todd) techno geek, who helps Batman fix the Batmobile. They actually wanted Marlon Wayans for the part.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtpIDUSr24A[/YT]

Last edited:
Nah... I can't see Michael Keaton's Batman ever truly accepting a sidekick.

But had Burton stayed on for a third and decided now was the right time to bring Robin on-board in some capacity... then yeah, It could have worked.

I'm with you. I have an even harder time seeing the current Batman with a Robin.

How would "Batman Forever" turn out had Tim Burton not only directed it, but still had to use the shooting script (by Janet and Lee Scott-Batchler and Akiva Goldsman) that was ultimately used? Of course this would logically mean the return of Michael Keaton as Batman, Danny Elfman's music, and Bo Welch's (the production designer for "Batman Returns") set designs. Or better yet, Burton had to use the same line-up of characters (i.e. Robin, Two-Face, Riddler, and Chase Meridian) but written by Sam Hamm and/or Daniel Waters (who did the screenplays for "Batman '89" and "Batman Returns" respectively)?

The key differences (as Michael Gough, who of course portrayed Alfred Pennyworth in the Burton-Schmuacher Bat-films, described on the "Batman Forever" special edition DVD) between Tim Burton's approach to Batman and Joel Schumacher's approach to Batman is that Burton specializes in a "psycholgical thriller" while Schumacher specializes in a "visual thriller".
progress.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"