• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Natalie Portman: 'Star Wars nearly ruined my career'

Horhey

Sidekick
Reaction score
And she won an Oscar for Best Actress for the 2010 film Black Swan.

Natalie Portman reveals her career was ruined by Star Wars preuels

'No director wanted to work with me! Everyone thought I was a horrible actress'

She starred as Queen Amidala in the three Star Wars prequels. And while the franchise was a blockbuster sensation, Natalie Portman says the role nearly ruined her career.

In an interview with New York magazine, the 33-year-old revealed how after the performance 'everyone thought I was a horrible actress' making it nearly impossible to find another part since 'no director wanted to work with me.'

I'll don't understand this at all; she was stellar in those films. I didn't realize the SW prequel hatred (which I also don't understand) had roots that deep in Hollywood.

Apparently those other directors hadn't seen Leon/The Professional

Natalie Portman reveals her career was ruined by Star Wars prequels

No director wanted to work with me! Everyone thought I was a horrible actress'

She starred as Queen Amidala in the three Star Wars prequels. And while the franchise was a blockbuster sensation, Natalie Portman says the role nearly ruined her career.

In an interview with New York magazine, the 33-year-old revealed how after the performance 'everyone thought I was a horrible actress' making it nearly impossible to find another part since 'no director wanted to work with me.'

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BSycFYXVvSrnPA&bvm=bv.110151844,d.dmo&cad=rja

Really, Nat? Your resume tells a different story.

Anywhere but Here - 1999

Where the Heart Is - 2000

Zoolander - 2001

Cold Mountain - 2003

Garden State - 2004

Closer - 2004

V for vendetta - 2005

Paris je t'aime - 2006

Goyas Ghost - 2006

Darjeeling Limited - 2007

Hotel Chavlier- 2007

Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium - 2007

Other Boleyn Girl - 2008

New York, I love you- 2008

The Other Woman- 2009

Brothers- 2009

Hesher- 2010

Black Swan- 2010

Im still here- 2010

No Strings Attached- 2011

Your Highness- 2011

Thor- 2011

Thor the Dark World -2013

Knight of Cups- 2015

Tale of Love and Darkness - 2015

Jane Got a Gun - 2016

Untitled Terrence malick project -2016

She was really struggling.:o

Last edited:
As the article states it was the time after episode 2 and before Cold Mountain. After episode 2 nobody wanted to work with her. Mike Nichols came to her aid and made a phone call to get her in Cold Mountain. She spoke of this around the time of Nichols death where she credited her post episode 2 career to him.

Last edited:
Portman has all but admitted that she finds the films terrible and her role bad. Hollywood agreed. The discontent for the prequels is not a myth.

To be fair she sucks in these movies and I like Portman, I'll watch Leon any day of the week. But Lucas gives zero craps about actors, he'd rather use special effects to tell the story rather than actors.

As Harrison Ford once said, "George, you can write this ****, but you can't say it."

As the article states it was the time after episode 2 and before Cold Mountain. After episode 2 nobody wanted to work with her. Mike Nichols came to her aid and made a phone call to get her in Cold Mountain. She spoke of this around the time of Nichols death where she credited her post episode 2 career to him.

Attack of the Clones came out May 2002, and Cold Mountain began principal photography July 15 2002 which means she was hired for Cold Mountain prior to the release of Episode 2. So it couldn't have made it hard for her to get work on Cold Mountain. And after Episode 2 hit theaters there is no protracted gap in her resume. She was going from one production directly into another, and for a while averaged 2 films a year. Her resume doesn't lie. The negative effect the prequels had on her career was negligible to non existent.

Pretty obvious she's just trying to **** on the PT. They didn't damage her career. Her career was and has always been steady since the 90s.

Last edited:
Attack of the Clones came out May 2002, and Cold Mountain began principal photography July 15 2002 which means she was hired for Cold Mountain prior to the release of Episode 2. So it couldn't have made it hard for her to get work on Cold Mountain. And after Episode 2 hit theaters there is no protracted gap in her resume. She was going from one production directly into another, and for a while averaged 2 films a year. Her resume doesn't lie. The negative effect the prequels had on her career was negligible to non existent.

Pretty obvious she's just trying to **** on the PT. They didn't damage her career. Her career was and has always been steady since the 90s.
Marv how do you know what she had to go through to get work during the prequels? How many roles she was passed up for? Also isn't it a bit telling that she wants to crap on the PT? they clearly effected her in a negative way.

If anything, these movies ruined Christensen's career since they made him feel like he hadn't earned any of his fame that subsequently made him dropped off the face of the Earth. The careers of McGregor, SLJ, Portman, and Neeson never seemed to drop off until they decided, not the studios or other directors, to stop appearing in as many films.

Really, Nat? Your resume tells a different story.

Anywhere but Here - 1999

Where the Heart Is - 2000

Zoolander - 2001

Cold Mountain - 2003

Garden State - 2004

Closer - 2004

V for vendetta - 2005

Paris je t'aime - 2006

Goyas Ghost - 2006

Darjeeling Limited - 2007

Hotel Chavlier- 2007

Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium - 2007

Other Boleyn Girl - 2008

New York, I love you- 2008

The Other Woman- 2009

Brothers- 2009

Hesher- 2010

Black Swan- 2010

Im still here- 2010

No Strings Attached- 2011

Your Highness- 2011

Thor- 2011

Thor the Dark World -2013

Knight of Cups- 2015

Tale of Love and Darkness - 2015

Jane Got a Gun - 2016

Untitled Terrence malick project -2016

She was really struggling.:o
Her role in Zoolander was nothing more than a short cameo. She was barely in the movie. Just one of those celebs playing themselves cameo in another movie.

Natalie didn't have the greatest material to work with, but I hardly think these films came close to ruining her career. She should ask Hayden about that.

It's a shame she had this struggle. Personally, minus a few scenes that bug me, i liked her portrayal of Padme, and i like the character. I think she's an amazing actress.

If anyone's career suffered, i would say Jake and Hayden got the biggest backlash. Natalie never crossed my mind. Ewan has always done more independent movies than blockbusters, and SLJ is SLJ.

It must be tough to be branded to a character/ franchise so much that people cant see beyond that. out of the OT i always thought Mark and Carrie were the ones who struggled the most, since Harrison was lucky enough to have Indy.

Last edited:
I never was a fan of Natalie Portman. I always got the impression that Star Wars and Marvel was beneath her. Despite both franchises are bigger than her.

Portman ****ted on Thor too so maybe it's just her that has a problem

From her interviews she must have lost so many roles and opertunities to work with talented people. She had people fight for her and fix her career. Hayden Christianson and Jake Lloyd didn’t have friendships like that to help rebuild theres.
As for her in Thor well her part sucked and the first two movies were meh. She wanted out of Thor im sure she was getting Prequel flashbacks and like most people she wasn’t happy about remembering the prequels and how it affected her life.

Well when the first exposure to Natalie Portman is when she wears a huge headpiece and sounds like Vicki the robot from Small Wonders... I doubt there's much you can do with that as a director.

What was Lucas thinking lowering her voice a couple of octives. Sounded so weird. Lucas creates awful and delaires it BOLD.

I’m not going to link to it since it has major profanity but YouTube Natalie Portman rap 2 from Saturday Night Live. It’s got a nice shout out to the prequels for those who enjoyed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"