Netflix Adapting Frank Miller's CURSED (Starring Katherine Langford)

I’ve only seen the first episode yet but the whole thing felt really awkward for some reason. The way the certain scenes were shot, some of the editing, some of the dialogue, it all just felt... off. And I didn’t really care for Nimue all that much. They tried to make her a headstrong character but they failed to give her much of a personality. She’s just tough and “different” and wants to leave her village. Also, why is she so hated? I thought it was because she was Fey/witch but turns out the whole village is Fey? So... like what? They’re just dicks?

It’s only the first episode and I’m sure it’ll get better but the pilot is supposed to hook you and this did not do that for me :shrug:.

I’ve only seen the first episode yet but the whole thing felt really awkward for some reason. The way the certain scenes were shot, some of the editing, some of the dialogue, it all just felt... off. And I didn’t really care for Nimue all that much. They tried to make her a headstrong character but they failed to give her much of a personality. She’s just tough and “different” and wants to leave her village. Also, why is she so hated? I thought it was because she was Fey/witch but turns out the whole village is Fey? So... like what? They’re just dicks?

It’s only the first episode and I’m sure it’ll get better but the pilot is supposed to hook you and this did not do that for me :shrug:.
You find out why she’s different by episode 5 but I figured it out well before the moment. There is some foreshadowing.

I’m past that moment watching the show now.

I think the reason she's different is because Merlin is her biological father. Also, a demon wolf/bear thing attacked her and scarred her. So I guess the scars "cursed" her as well?

Yeah some of the editing and dialogue was off. I don't think they could marry the dark fantasy with the period Arthurian legend stuff. Some of it has a very sort of modern, contemporary style. And then they have like that weird modern style type of pop song during the sex scenes. It comes off really goofy.

Almost hard for me to believe Frank Miller had anything to do with this series. So...maybe that's a good thing?

Things I like:

* A lot of strong female characters
* Tries to do something different with Arthurian legend
* Gustaf Skarsgard's Merlin is fun
* Hope that the Pope Abel will become new main villain
* Embraces magic and fantasy elements

What I don't like:

* Forced conflict and obstacles
* The Iris subplot character is awful; Like seriously, no one notices this devilish child being devilish in full view of everybody? She doesn't even look like she's trying to blend in.
* Stretching out the character reveals like OMG WHAT A TWIST, I find kind of phony and nonsensical; Like this is nothing like any existing takes on Arthurian legends, so the reveals for these characters isn't that much of a twist
* Everything is so colorful and brightly lit, and then you have these instances where these really dark, grim and bleak things happen.
* It just seems everything the heroes tries to do goes predictably bad for everyone around them; makes them hard to like
* Hard to like the Fey when the first thing we see them do is treating Nimue like utter trash. Like the Fey are a tribe of nonhumans of various races. Why is Nimue's ability and powers so scary
* Pop-style song usage is ugh. There was this like pop-style rock song thrown in for a love scene and made the show feel like bad YA/Twilight-stuff.
* Peter Mullan's father Carden fairly boring, typical religious fanatic villain. The Pope character seemed like he'd make a much better villain. He seems rather weak and doddering at first, then sort of pops up and is surprisingly frightening.
* No idea what was going on with Widow/Morgana; They throw in these things that are very confusing and weird that don't really have a good setup.
* Really bad CG violence. Like that part where Nimue cuts someone in half
* Just call it Excalibur already. Yeesh. It's not He-Man's sword.

Sounds about right.
I really liked it, but it has its flaws.

The whole Iris plot thing was really bad, i kept wondering how the hell nobody can see that this woman will be trouble?
She constantly looked like a lunatic.
I thought the final confrontation with Iris too was a bit wonky, i mean merlin really didnt put a lot of effort into killing Iris...which just felt weird to me.
That whole part seemed to me badly paced and done, as if they suddenly didnt knew how to get where they wanted to go.

But overall i really liked it.
Would love to see a second season.

I think they could do a second season but just eliminate some of the sillier, more contrived elements like Iris, King Uther and his mother, etc.

I don't feel like this show needs to be some sort of destination for Arthurian legend. Like we don't need to know how Nimue becomes the Lady of the Lake.

Sadly, Iris is still alive and a Trinity Guard now. Oof. enough of this character.

Last edited:
Ending the season with the main character presumed dead.

MellowTediousCassowary-size_restricted.gif

Finished watching the show's first season (or only season if there is no followup). It was decent :up::down. Room for improvement. As the show went on I think it picked up a bit too many PoV characters which tends to slow stuff down.

Not Witcher or The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance level for me, but I wouldn't mind seeing more.

And a 'forget you' to all the sexists, racists and other bigots with their crappy user reviews on the various ratings sites.

Last edited:
I feel like Peter Mullan did the best with what he had (which isn't much). Mullan is usually a solid villainous actor (Westworld, Ozark, Quarry, Top Of The Lake).

I'm usually pretty open minded different versions of Arthurian mythology but I must admit it felt like most of the characters from the myths didn't have a great portrayal besides the lady of the lake.

Cursed felt like a more mature version A Letter For The King which was another Netflix fantasy adaption that came out in March.

Gustaf Skarsgard is a underrated member of the Skarsgard acting family. Gustaf's acting style sometimes reminds me more of his godfather Peter Stormare than his dad or brothers

Curses!

They’re throwing more money at Shadow & Bone and Witcher now I guess.

Damn, i liked it...but it didnt came unexpected.
It was way too quiet for way too long, so its not a shock.

I'm not too upset about this. It wasn't very good. I can respect a show that tried to do some different things with Arthurian Legend, but it was a fairly subpar season. The show didn't leave me excited wanting to see more of the story, and too many silly, contrived subplots and really forced conflict.

I tried watching this but similar to that other Netflix show (Shadow and Bone?) it just didn't grab me. Turned off both 15 mins or so into the first episode.

I'm hopeful anyway that cancelling the likes of this and Jupiter means they might go back to taking care in conceiving ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"