Netflix orders modernized 'Haunting of Hill House' from Mike Flanagan

Given what a ****show on cancellations Netflix has been lately, I’m curious to see if there will be another Haunting and what the basis of it would be.

I found the Hill house family members very uninteresting and unrelatable. Plus the atmosphere was too depressing at times. That was never the case with Bly Manor. I can't remember the last time I saw a more likeable character than Dani Clayton. Her character development was..perfectly splendid which made the ending only more heartbreaking.

I'm not quite as down on Hill House with regard to those particular aspects, but I would agree that the characters in Bly Manor were far more interesting, and especially more likable. T'Nia Miller was perhaps the unsung hero of this season. Though I'll admit that I found the little girl to be really irksome with her 'perfectly splendid' routine ad nauseam. That is, until I finally made the connection between her catchphrase and Rebecca.

The only characters in Hill House that I found to be particularly likable were the father in his later years, and Carla Cugino's character.

Given what a ****show on cancellations Netflix has been lately, I’m curious to see if there will be another Haunting and what the basis of it would be.
I don't think I can cope with another season and one of those endings again!

Last edited:

I was thinking about that. It’d have to stay within the haunted house world. Given his love of Stephen King, why not a remake of Rose Red lol.

I also noticed both Hill House and Turn of the Screw were optioned by Steven Spielberg, thus both were produced by Amblin TV. Maybe he should do Poltergeist, but as a sequel series instead of a remake.

Most likely though, it’ll be an iconic haunted house novel like these past two. What are some others?

He already has Midnight Mass finished, or close to it... it’s essentially a Hill House tangent show.

As far as I'm aware Midnight Mass has little to do with Hill House.

It is a story idea that Flanagan has had on his mind for quite some time about an island community and a mysterious new clergyman who comes to town. It was a book written by Kate Siegel's character in HUSH and a copy of the book also appears in GERALD'S GAME so, yes, it is in the Flanaverse, but its inception predates Hill House by a good bit.

And the show will have some of his regulars like Siegel, Robert Longstreet, Samantha Sloyan, and Kohli is back for his second Flanagan, which is great because I loved Owen.

I was thinking about that. It’d have to stay within the haunted house world. Given his love of Stephen King, why not a remake of Rose Red lol.

I also noticed both Hill House and Turn of the Screw were optioned by Steven Spielberg, thus both were produced by Amblin TV. Maybe he should do Poltergeist, but as a sequel series instead of a remake.

Most likely though, it’ll be an iconic haunted house novel like these past two. What are some others?
If things had gone differently for Heather O’Rourke, I’d say sure, go for it. Give it the Exorcist treatment. But knowing that a sequel series would likely require an adult Carol Anne...

Hill House was awesome...this is just confusing af.
I haven’t understood anything at all...and I understood almost everything in Dark.
And I wasn‘t scared for one second...

Last edited:
Did you finish it?

I don't think it is any more confusing than a show that has a mystery to it but after episode 8 you shouldn't be confused in the slightest.

I‘ve watched episode 8. One more left...

Flanagan seems to have carte blanche at Netflix, and some of the actors including Kate Siegel (who would probably know better than anyone) have insinuated he already has plans for a season 3. So I would say it's very likely, given how popular both seasons have been. It's probably in his hands.

Going just by social media trends and what data Netflix does report, "Haunting" is one of their most successful series right now, and Flannagan is only becoming a bigger star, so it should be safe.

The works of M.R. James would be a likely source. Others have suggested Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher." Others that come to mind include Dickins' "The Signal-Man" or perhaps the "Carnacki, the Ghost-Finder" stories - End House or The Jarvee could work as focuses.

c4453ebb101af441223b98dcd5e8426b2f46cec9.jpg

Their expression is like being held at gunpoint.

“SMILE!”

Their expression is like being held at gunpoint.

“SMILE!”
Bad picture but it was up there amongst my favourite queer relationships. Such a natural relationship with no hysteria with those around them utterly non plussed.

I wasn‘t scared for one second. I almost **** myself when the tall man was looking for his hat in Hill house or when the corpse in basement was alive. I was hoping for this horror

That stupid car jump scare in Hill House got me. I knew there was going to be a jump scare in that particular episode from reviews and I STILL fell for it.

I didn't find either series to be scary tbh. :shrug:

Scary/not scary debates bore me to tears, tbh.

I’ve been done with that **** since someone said Poltergeist wasn’t scary.

I've just started Hill House after some recommendations - although some of those recommendations haven't followed with a positive view of the ending. I'll have to avoid reading too much of this thread due to spoilers, but I'll get through it - hopefully not too disappointed once I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"