Umbrella Academy Netflix Orders 'Umbrella Academy' Adaptation

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-live-action-tv-series-set-at-netflix-1020106
The streaming giant has handed out a 10-episode straight-to-series order for the adaptation of Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and Gabriel Ba's beloved graphic novel. The drama will launch on the streaming service in 2018. (Check out the poster for the series, above.)

Based on the Eisner Award-winning comics, the live-action Umbrella Academy follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes (aka the Umbrella Academy): The Monocle, Spaceboy, The Kraken, The Rumor, The Séance, Number Five, The Horror and The White Violin. Together, they work to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams because of their divergent personalities and abilities. The series was praised for its alternate and twisted take on the superhero genre.

Steve Blackman (Fargo, Netflix's Altered Carbon) serves as showrunner and exec produces alongside Bluegrass Television, Mike Richardson and Keith Goldberg from Dark Horse Entertainment. Way will co-exec produce. The pilot script was adapted from the comic book series by Jeremy Slater (The Exorcist).

I don't know the comic, but this sounds interesting.

Live action? I don't think Netflix will have the budget for that, particularly for Spaceboy. I would've preferred animation. The art is Mignolaesque enough to see animated.

‘The Umbrella Academy’: Ellen Page To Star In Netflix Series Based On Comic
Ellen Page has been tapped for one of the leads in Netflix’s The Umbrella Academy, a live-action series based on the popular graphic novels by Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and illustrated by Gabriel Bá. The show, set for 2018 premiere, hails from Universal Cable Productions and Dark Horse Entertainment.

The Umbrella Academy follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes (The Umbrella Academy) – Luther, Diego, Allison, Vanya, Klaus and Number Five – as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities.

Page will play Vanya, the black sheep of her dysfunctional family. She’s the only one of Reginald Hargreeves’ adopted children with no supernatural abilities. A meek and insecure wallflower, Vanya struggles to find her place in the world.

Steve Blackman (Fargo) will serve as executive producer and showrunner on the series, which originated with a pilot script written by Jeremy Slater (The Exorcist). Bluegrass Television as well as Mike Richardson and Keith Goldberg from Dark Horse Entertainment also executive produce. Gerard Way will serve as co-executive producer.

Page created, produces and stars in the two-time Emmy-nominated documentary series, Gaycation, which follows Page and her best friend Ian Daniel around the world as they explore LGBTQ cultures. On the film side, Page can be seen in Flatliners opposite Diego Luna, Nina Dobrev, Kiersey Clemons and James Norton. With her co-star Kate Mara, Page developed and produced the independent drama My Days of Mercy, which premiered at September’s Toronto Film Festival, She can also be seen in writer/director David Freyne’s visionary drama The Cured, opposite Sam Keeley, which also premiered at Toronto, and she was the voice of Rosy in Claude Barras’ 2016 Oscar-nominated animated feature, My Life As A Zucchini. Page is repped by VIE Entertainment, WME and Morris Yorn Barnes Levine.
http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-umb...-netflix-series-based-comic-books-1202205323/

Umbrella Academy’ Netflix Series Rounds Out Cast With ‘Game of Thrones’ Alum, ‘Hamilton’ Star

“The Umbrella Academy” series at Netflix has found its main cast, Variety has learned.

The series is adding cast members Tom Hopper as Luther, Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison, David Castañeda as Diego, Robert Sheehan as Klaus, and Aidan Gallagher as Number Five. They join previously announced cast member Ellen Page, who will play Vanya.

The live action series follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes (The Umbrella Academy) – Luther, Diego, Allison, Vanya, Klaus and Number Five – as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities.

Hopper just wrapped shooting a starring role opposite Amy Schumer and Michelle Williams in Voltage/STX’s comedy “I Feel Pretty.” Most recently, he played Dickon Tarly in Season 7 of “Game Of Thrones.” Hopper also starred as Billy Bones in Starz’s “Black Sails.”

Raver-Lampman is the breakout star of the national touring company of “Hamilton.” After being a part of the original ensemble on Broadway, she was promoted to the role of Angelica Schuyler for the West Coast run. Her previous Broadway credits include “Jekyll & Hyde,” “Hair,” and the national touring company of “Wicked.” “The Umbrella Academy” marks her first television role

Do we know who's directing this? I don't think I've seen a name.

I’ve always been interested in reading this, but just never got around to it. I finally decided to pick it up and I loved it. I’m really interested to see how they pull this off in live action. It’s really quirky and weird. Not sure how that’s going to translate.

Started filming last week!

Gabriel Ba and Gerard Way
Dze6V5X.jpg

Mary J. Blige To Co-Star In ‘The Umbrella Academy’ TV Series For Netflix
Under a one-year deal, actress-singer Blige will play the series regular role of Cha-Cha, a ruthless and unorthodox hitwoman who travels through time to kill assigned targets. Even though she has a few gripes about the bureaucracy of her employers, this job is her life. She is sadistic, sociopathic, and her reputation precedes her. Her true love is torture, and she thinks of herself as a “pain artist.” She really doesn’t care for people—except for her partner Hazel.

‘The Umbrella Academy’: John Magaro Cast In Netflix Series

Written by Jeremy Slater based on the popular graphic novels penned by Gerard Way and illustrated by Gabriel Bá, the story follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes known as the Umbrella Academy — Luther (Tom Hopper), Diego (David Castañeda), Allison (Emmy Raver-Lampman), Vanya (Ellen Page), Klaus (Robert Sheehan) and Number Five (Aidan Gallagher) — as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities.

Magaro will play Leonard Peabody, a sweet Average Joe who begins to take music lessons from Vanya (Page) and sees something special in this constantly dismissed wallflower, giving her a confidence that she’s never had before. Their love story plays out against the larger than life struggles of the Umbrella Academy.

I am strangely really excited for this. I guess the idea of a few more hours of Ellen Page content is rather awesome to me.

Haven't read the comic yet, but it seems to have some unique visuals. I'll be curious to see how it translates.

I know nothing of this except what I've read here...

Take a Peek at the Heroes (and Umbrellas) of the Umbrella Academy TVSeries

The Umbrella Academy, set in 1977 in a world where JFK wasn’t assassinated, follows a group of mysteriously super-powered youths who get recruited to save the world from a mysterious threat by a mysterious benefactor. Those characters are, assuming Netflix hasn’t switched them up on us...though they very well might have.

1) Spaceboy (played by Tom Hopper) is the leader of the team, and has super-strength; in the comic, his mind was put into the body of a Martian gorilla, which seems... unlikely to happen on the show.

2) The Kraken (David Castañeda) is Spaceboy’s rival and has excellent control over his reflexes. He may or may not be able to hold his breathe forever (he can in the comic, but on the show it remains to be seen).

3) The Rumor (Emmy Raver-Lampman) has a bit of telepathy and can make strong “suggestions” to people to make them do what she wants.

4) The Seance (Robert Sheehan)—were not 100 percent sure what his deal is other than on the show he’s a thief; in the comics, he has telekinesis and is very morbid. At least he’s definitely looking a bit glum in the photo above.

5) The Boy (Aiden Gallagher) once traveled 50 years in the future, where he lived for 50 years; when he traveled back he became permanently stuck in the body of his 10-year-old self. This is the same as his comics incarnation.

7) The White Violin (Ellen Page) likes music.
The Umbrella Academy comic felt like a direct descendant of the utter weirdness of DC’s Doom Patrol (getting its own TV show soon), which we consider a very good thing. It’s very cool to imagine Netflix bringing that level of weirdness to live-action. Still, even if it turns out to only be half as weird, we’ll be getting a very unique superhero series.

I hope this is good. Haven't read the comic, but I love Gerard Way's music.

I am so ****ing excited for this. Gonna read through all the comics again before it comes out. They're top-notch comic writing.

Looks dope.

Looking good, plus Ellen Page. So yeah, I am excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"