Umbrella Academy Netflix Orders 'Umbrella Academy' Adaptation

And it only took one terrible scene in episode 5 to break the show completely for me. Gonna wrap up this season and then I’m done with this show.
Which scene was that? I’m forgetting which episode is which.

It seems quite uniformly disliked which is unsurprising. I can't tell what is worse about it: the action itself, or the fact that it has 0 consequence afterward. You could have cut that moment and it would have changed nothing about the story, other than making that character more tolerable.

Klaus was definitely the MVP of this season for me, and I enjoyed the stuff with Diego, but outside of that and some occasional moments with Luther this season was a huge letdown IMO.

I loved Season 2, but it felt like these characters regressed from the previous seasons more than anything and I still can't forgive what they did with Allison this season, especially the majority of her scenes with Viktor.

They made her character way too unlikable to the point where I don't even know if she can be redeemed in the future and Ben was equally insufferable this season which made it even more painful to sit through.

I'm still willing to check out a Season 4 just to see how this is all wrapped up, but 10 episodes feels like way too much at this point if they don't have enough story to justify it.

The scene where Allison attempts to rape Luther.
I mean, it fits:

Her issues with general consent date back to Viktor when they were kids. Season 1, she wasn't allowed near her kid because she was using her ability on the child, for being a child.

It as an example of her reverting, while blaming others for their pasts, while they are living in the present and finding some sort of happiness she can't. Namely Luthor (Sloane) and Viktor (his identity and finding the kid).

I think that scene should have ended on the cutting room floor. It even felt inappropiate for a show like this. Allison's powers have always been potentially problematic but this was a bit much. I think her giving the threat of using her powers on him would have been enough to show her descent.

Klaus was definitely the MVP of this season for me, and I enjoyed the stuff with Diego, but outside of that and some occasional moments with Luther this season was a huge letdown IMO.

I loved Season 2, but it felt like these characters regressed from the previous seasons more than anything and I still can't forgive what they did with Allison this season, especially the majority of her scenes with Viktor.

They made her character way too unlikable to the point where I don't even know if she can be redeemed in the future and Ben was equally insufferable this season which made it even more painful to sit through.

I loved Luther this season. I always love Diego but yes, Klaus had a great season. No idea why they had to make Alisson quite so ****ty. Five is always great but maybe a little less this season. Lila is an awesome new character and was just as good this season.

I thought the gender change to Viktor mirroring real life with Elliot Page was really well handled in the show and I read that he liked how it was done. The family reacted to the change well.

Elliot Page Praises Netflix for His Character?s Transition in ?The Umbrella Academy? Season 3

As for the Sparrows I liked having them all in there at the beginning and it was a shame we didn’t see more of all of them but Sloane was really good and Christopher was MVP lol. Agreed that Ben who I had looked forward to seeing since season 1 was so unpleasant throughout. :csad:

I mean, it fits:

Her issues with general consent date back to Viktor when they were kids. Season 1, she wasn't allowed near her kid because she was using her ability on the child, for being a child.

It as an example of her reverting, while blaming others for their pasts, while they are living in the present and finding some sort of happiness she can't. Namely Luthor (Sloane) and Viktor (his identity and finding the kid).
I didn’t think about it like that and the above makes sense. Still would have preferred them not to show this so explicitly.

I feel like they could have used a different way to demonstrate all that.
They could've. It was a choice. I think it was to point to the severity of the problem.

I think that scene should have ended on the cutting room floor. It even felt inappropiate for a show like this. Allison's powers have always been potentially problematic but this was a bit much. I think her giving the threat of using her powers on him would have been enough to show her descent.
What do you mean by a "show like this"? Because Umbrella Academy is plenty heavy.

I'm not sure why the threat works better, considering the point was to show her in a place where she was ready and able to not only murder someone (which she does), but her willingness to blame and dehumanize her family for her own actions. To me, that is why it's so important that they leave the scene in way where it feels like she's blaming Luther for what she's done.

I'm also unclear how this is "so much" worse then what she did to her child or even Viktor. Sexual assault is vile, but what makes it so isn't simple the "sexual" bit. It's the dehumanizing power imbalance, the taking away of consent, the control. Which is what she does and has done to people she claims to love and care about.

We cheer it when she does it to bad folk. She burns a racist, nice, she gets someone to kill their brother, okay. And I agree, when used as a defense, it's makes sense, even if it's brutal. But this is the naturel of the Rumor and what she does laid bear. That step beyond the obvious torturing someone last year. Especially for a society dealing with a sexual assault epidemic.

I kind of feel like the reaction I'm seeing here, is why they went with what they did. I feel like there has been some downplaying of the person they've been so far in fans mind. What they've already done.

Last edited:
I felt like the middle of the season was a litlle aimless, and I still find any all attacks against Viktor very off base and thus off putting (Five, you were my second favorite), but overall I ended up loving it and really hope they get that 4th and final season.
Five’s warning to Viktor about consulting the family ahead of actions due to how powerful he is I thought was fair. Even though Viktor is doing things to help people with the best of intentions they can have catastrophic unintended consequences so a conversation is better than ploughing ahead without the check IMO. Obviously with everything between Alisson and Viktor, Alisson was just way too far gone and making herself almost irredeemable.

Viktor, Five, and Diego continued to be my absolute favorites. Mopey Diego from season 1 is a distant memory. Klaus was his usual fun self, and his day of playing catch with dad nearly broke me. Lila is still queen. New Ben grew on me by the end. I enjoyed the Sparrow Academy overall, but Sloane was definitely the stand out. The big surprise for me is Luther shooting up the charts as an all time fav. The man just wanted to be in love and happy. Can you blame him?
Yes, yes, yes and yes, although I was waiting for Ben to grow on me and he never did - was quite disappointed with that as I thought he would be the one to bring the family together. I liked the Sparrow Academy a lot but wanted more, Sloane was great and as you said, Luther was the biggest dark horse coming in from the shadows to challenge for the top spots. His scenes this season were so damn nice and fun. :D

Allison felt like everything season 1 warned me about, but I forgot because of season 2.
I liked her in season 2 but they really made her horrific this season.

Season Ranks
1. 2
2. 3
3. 1
My order might be the same but I'll have to rewatch season 1 to be sure. Feels like we enjoyed this season more than most here.

Musical Moments
1. Twistin' the Night Away
2. Footloose
3. I Think We're Alone Now
This show has tons of top tunes along with seriously fun dancing scenes (although I can see them put some people off).

The celebration with Another One Bites the Dust was fun too, I wanted to join in on that one. :funny:

I love these summary posts you do. :D :up:

Watched the first episode of the new season last night and it was great start for me. Have been spoiled on some stuff but still looking forward to watching the rest of the season.

I thought this season was ok overall. I was really hoping we learned more about Reginald's origins and what exactly is his goal. They almost had me with thinking he had the potential of not being a bad father.

Klaus and Diego (and their respective growth) were my favorite parts of the season. Allison was my least.

Wish we got to see more of the Sparrows.

Despite wanting to strangle one of the main characters by the end of the season, I really enjoyed this season. This show and these characters are just so watchable, and I really hope we get another and maybe final season.

The finale for season 3 didn't quite deliver like the rest of the season did, but it set up something interesting.

And we better get Sloane back. Luther and Klaus killed it this season. But for the love of God can we have a Luther fight scene where we finally see what he is capable of?

Just started season 3 and oh yeah the Footloose moment was so silly that I loved every minute of it.

I dont mind "the scene" existing...but it turns the character into a villain, never to go back. I can never accept that character as part of a heroic team and the fact that there were ZERO consequences is disturbing.

I thought this season was ok overall. I was really hoping we learned more about Reginald's origins and what exactly is his goal. They almost had me with thinking he had the potential of not being a bad father.

Klaus and Diego (and their respective growth) were my favorite parts of the season. Allison was my least.

Wish we got to see more of the Sparrows.
Yeah Klaus and Diego were great and showed growth. Unfortunately Allison regressed after a good season 2 from her.

Despite wanting to strangle one of the main characters by the end of the season, I really enjoyed this season. This show and these characters are just so watchable, and I really hope we get another and maybe final season.

The finale for season 3 didn't quite deliver like the rest of the season did, but it set up something interesting.

And we better get Sloane back. Luther and Klaus killed it this season. But for the love of God can we have a Luther fight scene where we finally see what he is capable of?
Yeah need to somehow get Sloane again. Never knew Luther could be so sweet haha.

Could they exchange Alison for Sloane? God did I hated that **** this season…

Great to get another season and a shame it’s the last. Although I guess I couldn’t see this show going on for a ton more seasons. Hopefully they nail everything this time and it becomes the best of the lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"