Umbrella Academy Netflix Orders 'Umbrella Academy' Adaptation

eeh…it is what it is.
2 episodes from season 3 and I have the same complaints, I had with the other seasons.
Beautifully shot shot music video aesthetics with annoying characters and cringeworthy dialogues.
Since there‘s nothing else to watch besides Ms.Marvel, Only Murders in the Building and the Boys, I‘ll probably make it through.
But in August I probably would‘ve left now

I liked season 3. The quirky tone and bizarre characters are still working for me. It's not the best TV I've seen this year but still very enjoyable. I shall spoiler more specific thoughts on the whole series:

Victor's transformation was quick but tastefully done. I liked how it was explained enough to work in the story and then largely a non issue. It made enough sense with the character's history, Page was great, and there were a few nice scenes sprinkled throughout. Luthor asking him to be best man was cute.

Luthor's love story was sweet, Diego's parenting was funny, Klaus was wonderfully Klaus. Five's old mind in a young face is still a great contradiction. The relationships between them are dynamic and endearing. The Sparrows are fun if a little under-developed. There's really only two that matter, but I did like Sloane and this alternate, obnoxious Ben.

One character loses big time this season: Allison, who is just angry and unpleasant the whole time. She has understandable grief, but that can't sustain an entire season of bitterness. Worse still, she makes some very questionable choices and is only forced to reckon with some of them. Killing Harlan is mined for good drama. Basically sexually assaulting Luthor is never addressed again. I felt little for her and her supposed happy ending after everything.

The season moved at a decent pace, however I felt a lack of a tangible villain to keep things focused. Impending apocalypse has become standard for the show, and a glowing CGI ball of doom is a nebulous threat on its own. Things came together when good old dad showed his true colours once more. Seeing Reginald apparently soften, only to revert to his manipulative ways, was very effective.

My biggest issue was probably with the ending. A complete reset of the status quo is to be expected. Compared to last season though, this one falls incredibly flat. Meeting the Sparrows was exciting. It was efficient, easy to understand but gave you a lot to think about. This twist brought no amount of anticipation, and the hook that the characters don't have powers is no fun at all.

I'm just half way through season 3 so it's a bit early for me to judge the season yet, but I do like it so far.

1 small detail is nagging at me though. I didn't notice right away, but I soon realized every scene where they are driving somewhere the steering wheel is on the right. :huh:

As far as I can tell it hasn't been addressed and there's no obvious reason for it, but there must be something or they wouldn't have gone out of their way to get those vehicles for the show.

I noticed that too, but, the cars their driving are borrowed from the hotel Obsidian... which is known for its obscurity/ unconventionality, one of such eccentricity is using cars from England (which were never modified for American driving)
the hotel later being revealed to be owned and designed by Sir Reginald himself could explain the English influence

Last edited:
Finally able to start season 3. The first episode was pure brilliance. One of my favorites of the show. Footloose will live with me forever. Episode 2 has also pretty great.

I quite enjoyed S3 but definitely had it's frustrating moments. I understand having the family not get along is good for friction but I think it's lazily done sometimes, sometimes stretching things over 2 or 3 episodes when it could've easily been avoided with a simple conversation. Does it make things more dramatic? Yes. But is it always good drama? No.

One character in particular I think suffers majorly this season. Won't say who, for spoilers, but their behaviour is such a radical departure that is never successfully justified for me.

There is something about this show that I can never put my finger on, but I find it captivating, enjoyable viewing... Yet somehow always infuriating to watch haha. But maybe that's the point, because family IS infuriating, right? Right?!?!?

One character in particular I think suffers majorly this season. Won't say who, for spoilers, but their behaviour is such a radical departure that is never successfully justified for me.

It's Allison, right? She did some horrible stuff this season. It became frustrating.

I’m only two episodes into season 3 but I’m finding it hard to get excited or even care about the season. I don’t know if it’s because of the gap since I watched season 2. So far the episodes haven’t gripped me in such a way that I can’t wait to get into the next episode. Right now I feel like I can take it or leave it.

I enjoyed this season very much, probably more so than the 2nd season,
my only complaint is what they did with Allison's character.

For some reason the Doom Patrol influence felt even stronger this season. Gerard Way cited Morrison's Doom Patrol as an influence for The Umbrella Academy and Way went on to write his own Doom Patrol run for DC's imprint label,

I am really struggling with this season and I’m only on the third episode. Maybe it’s just my memory, but the characters just seem much more idiotic.

Oh this is out too. Damn, I got so behind with everything. Feels like a whole bunch of high profile shows got a new or debut season in the last few weeks. Hopefully will get some time on the weekend to binge this.

On episode 2 now and just happy to be back inside this world with these characters and all the new ones. First episode was really fun.

I am really struggling with this season and I’m only on the third episode. Maybe it’s just my memory, but the characters just seem much more idiotic.

Unfortunately, the stupidity is mostly consistent with previous seasons. I would say it's mostly just Allison who feels less sharp than previous seasons.

Unfortunately, the stupidity is mostly consistent with previous seasons. I would say it's mostly just Allison who feels less sharp than previous seasons.
Ok good. Didn't bother me too much in prior seasons so I'll probably be able to cope with what they throw at me now. I'm enjoying it all so far but still early in.

Well, I was only going to watch 2 but I just started episode 5 so I must be liking this. :p

I finished the season. It definitely picks up during the second half and episodes 8-10 were the best of the season. Overall I prefer seasons 1 and 2 though.

And it only took one terrible scene in episode 5 to break the show completely for me. Gonna wrap up this season and then I’m done with this show.

I felt like the middle of the season was a litlle aimless, and I still find any all attacks against Viktor very off base and thus off putting (Five, you were my second favorite), but overall I ended up loving it and really hope they get that 4th and final season.

Viktor, Five, and Diego continued to be my absolute favorites. Mopey Diego from season 1 is a distant memory. Klaus was his usual fun self, and his day of playing catch with dad nearly broke me. Lila is still queen. New Ben grew on me by the end. I enjoyed the Sparrow Academy overall, but Sloane was definitely the stand out. The big surprise for me is Luther shooting up the charts as an all time fav. The man just wanted to be in love and happy. Can you blame him?

Allison felt like everything season 1 warned me about, but I forgot because of season 2.

Season Ranks
1. 2
2. 3
3. 1

Musical Moments
1. Twistin' the Night Away
2. Footloose
3. I Think We're Alone Now

Im 8 episodes in, it became too silly for me now.
Noone cares longer than 5 minutes if a character dies. Except Allison for sure, but I rarely wanted a characte to die so much. The dance battle was just cringe. An emotional wedding after... maybe 1 week the characters know each other.
I know this never was the ambitious superhero drama show, but season 1 took itself more serious and had better writing in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"