New Old New Mutants

Mr. M

Civilian
Reaction score
So I just finished the New New Mutants where the old new mutants reunite. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. With Magik back (and slightly insane) and Cannonball leading the way I think this could be a good one. When I first saw this on the previews, for some reason I thought it was going to be a time series where they just start over the New Mutants and have it not be in current continuity, but I was wrong. They are simply getting back together. I really liked it.

What did ya'll think?

I think moving all the X-Men related posts out of the Marvel comics forum and putting them in the X-Men related movie forum is confusing.

I think moving all the X-Men related posts out of the Marvel comics forum and putting them in the X-Men related movie forum is confusing.
Why? It only makes sense and helps consolidate this forum which is already too big as it is

plus just like the X-Men we are segregated from the rest of the marvel universe except for Wolverine.

And I'm so excited for the next issue.

All I know is, I'm discussing Exiles in two different threads at the same time.

yeah thats pointless, but it's actually good now and worth discussing:)

I loved New Mutants when I was a kid and didnt think any of the recent attempts captured the same magic the title once had way back when.

When I heard about this new series and the take they were taking ll I could think of was that horrible Titans book they did years ago where DC did the same thing" It's the Teen Titans but as grownups" and that book sucked.

I wasnt a fan of New Mutants until real late..probably the last 20 issues or so ..

Why? It only makes sense and helps consolidate this forum which is already too big as it is
Not everyone goes to the X-Men comics forum and X-Men threads fit just as well here. Marvel still publishes 'em, after all.

In this one (no worries not giving anything away) Sam finds out that one or more of his old New Mutant team members are in trouble, goes to Cyclops, asks for a team and gets it. His "new" team members are his old team members from the original New Mutant series, only all grown up and post M Day. I really didn't think I'd like...but I really did. Best new comic I've read in a really long time. (And I read every #1 that I see in both Marvel and DC).

It was okay. Not worth the $4 price tag but it was a first issue so I expected it. I'll stick with it through the end of the first arc since I've always liked Cannonball, Sunspot, and Legion. I'll decide if I'll keep going at that point though.

Decent enough issue. Wish they'd stop bringing back dead people though.

I hated it. I hated how it treated the newer generation of X-Men. Y'know, my "New Mutants."

"She's got more right to be here than any one of you"? What the hell, weren't both Sunspot and Cannonball their teachers? And then threatening physical violence against children, oh yeah, you're so badass Sam. These would be the same children that the X-teams as a whole have neglected and left to die on a consistent basis?

I can see them wanting to break up the fight that was about to erupt but what the hell, people. Nice to see that the X-Men are still the unworthy ass****s that they've become in recent years. So very glad that the protagonists of this series are showing themselves to be relatable, likable heroes that readers can root for.

Actually, I don't think Sam was ever their teacher. Neither was Bobby. Bobby was their field leader during Young X-Men, but he wasn't even at the mansion when those kids were students. Sam just never taught any classes or lead any student squads. So really, who are these kids to Sam and Bobby? As far as Sam (the one who said Illyana has more right to be there) is concerned, they're a bunch of newbies he doesn't even know who nearly punched out his old friend.

I expect more from Bobby, though. He's Vic and Santo's team leader, though he apparently doesn't like working with them, judging by the fact that he said he'd rather off himself than pretend to be a teacher for one more day.

In the other New Mutants thread, I've already expressed that I sided with the kids on that almost-fight. As far as they're concerned, Magik is a villain who attacked and used them, and they've seen nothing to indicate otherwise.

Actually, I don't think Sam was ever their teacher. Neither was Bobby. Bobby was their field leader during Young X-Men, but he wasn't even at the mansion when those kids were students. Sam just never taught any classes or lead any student squads. So really, who are these kids to Sam and Bobby? As far as Sam (the one who said Illyana has more right to be there) is concerned, they're a bunch of newbies he doesn't even know who nearly punched out his old friend.

I expect more from Bobby, though. He's Vic and Santo's team leader, though he apparently doesn't like working with them, judging by the fact that he said he'd rather off himself than pretend to be a teacher for one more day.

In the other New Mutants thread, I've already expressed that I sided with the kids on that almost-fight. As far as they're concerned, Magik is a villain who attacked and used them, and they've seen nothing to indicate otherwise.

I thought this was a pretty good issue, but it did make me want to see another Young X-Men book without Danni and Roberto.

Yeah, I'd have rather seen Young X-Men continue. It started really bad but by the end it had gotten pretty good. I think if it had continued it would have become just as good as the previous title.

I think Young X-Men's problem was that it tried to connect us to the brand new characters like Graymalkin, Cipher, and Ink and ultimately failed. The best moments in the book were with the established characters like Rockslide and Dust. I also didn't like having adults on the Young X-Men team

I'd love to see a new Young X-Men book with the younger former students. Have it be a combination of Uncanny X-Men which has pretty much turned into an all-mutants book (except with just teenage mutants) and New Mutants/X-Force which are officially sanctioned squads within the X-Men.

To Guggenheim's credit, I came pretty close to liking Cipher. An invisible phasing girl who apparently can't make others invisible or intangible as well. Can't be detected by telepathy. There's a mysterious man she's afraid will find her.

There was potential.

Young X-men was pretty bad and needed to end. They should have never replaced ended New X-men in favor of it

I actually liked Young X-Men past #5, and it got progressively better until the final issue.

I actually liked Young X-Men past #5, and it got progressively better until the final issue.

Same. I hated when New X-Men ended but post issue 5 Young X-Men started to feel like the New X-Men I liked. Anole's addition helped.

I'll give Young X-Men credit in something New X-Men never seemed to be able to do. They made Rockslide a really cool character on a 3-dimensional way. He wasn't just the thug. The scene where he's crying on Cyclops' shoulder and then his reaction to Dust's 'death' were great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"