• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS New Positivity Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!) - Part 1

isTPGsm.jpg

JREdDjA.jpg

3rrdHM9.jpg

Didn't know where to post this without causing a ****storm so I figured this as good a place as any.

I can't say I'm right or wrong on this one because it's based on my POV and what I took away from BvS. Art is subjective. People who analyze art walk away from it sometimes coming to same conclusions and at other times at odds when their interpretations don't line up. In other words this is my disclaimer.

I view BvS as a commentary on the contemporary political climate of the United States. Our heroes and villains avatars of ideas and schools of thought. With in Batman I see the Right gone wrong. Angry and fueled by fear and paranoia. Wonder Woman is the Left gone cynical. Apathetic and selfish, disillusioned with the idea of a better world and willing to compromise with complacency. Superman is the American immigrant, the disenfranchised youth, the outsider longing to make their home a better place whose optimism and hopes are constantly dashed by anger, fear, paranoia, apathy, selfishness, and complaceny all brought on by Lex Luthor who is an avatar or the malleable media, the oligarchy, unchecked and unbalanced captialism. And Doomsday is terrorism.

Like I said that's just my POV and why I think Snyder made a brilliant movie. Even if that's not what he was going for the fact that I could easily reach these conclusions is a testament to his prowess as a filmmaker.

Peace

Agreed. :up:

My favorite post in this thread !

Didn't know where to post this without causing a ****storm so I figured this as good a place as any.

I can't say I'm right or wrong on this one because it's based on my POV and what I took away from BvS. Art is subjective. People who analyze art walk away from it sometimes coming to same conclusions and at other times at odds when their interpretations don't line up. In other words this is my disclaimer.

I view BvS as a commentary on the contemporary political climate of the United States. Our heroes and villains avatars of ideas and schools of thought. With in Batman I see the Right gone wrong. Angry and fueled by fear and paranoia. Wonder Woman is the Left gone cynical. Apathetic and selfish, disillusioned with the idea of a better world and willing to compromise with complacency. Superman is the American immigrant, the disenfranchised youth, the outsider longing to make their home a better place whose optimism and hopes are constantly dashed by anger, fear, paranoia, apathy, selfishness, and complaceny all brought on by Lex Luthor who is an avatar or the malleable media, the oligarchy, unchecked and unbalanced captialism. And Doomsday is terrorism.

Like I said that's just my POV and why I think Snyder made a brilliant movie. Even if that's not what he was going for the fact that I could easily reach these conclusions is a testament to his prowess as a filmmaker.

Peace

I said this in another thread a while back, about how Bruce's anger and hatred towards Superman is exactly how bigoted racist people judge and hate immigrants. Think about it. Superman is the alien immigrant here. He had radical countrymen(Zod and co). Because of their actions, he a moderate, is also considered a threat(Terroist). Despite that going against logic and reason, its whats happening in america today. Then there's the parallel between Superman and nukes.

There's a lot of things to dig into this film, if you're willing to dig.

I said this in another thread a while back, about how Bruce's anger and hatred towards Superman is exactly how bigoted racist people judge and hate immigrants. Think about it. Superman is the alien immigrant here. He had radical countrymen(Zod and co). Because of their actions, he a moderate, is also considered a threat(Terroist). Despite that going against logic and reason, its whats happening in america today. Then there's the parallel between Superman and nukes.

There's a lot of things to dig into this film, if you're willing to dig.

tenor.gif

Yes, if you don't dig, all you can see is dirt. But if you do, it could change your life. ;)

I don't think Batman's anger towards Superman has anything to do with immigration commentary. I saw him being upset that man (humans) were no longer the top dogs because this alien god showed up. In addition Batman had no way to control or combat the situation and he's a stickler for trying to control chaos. This leads into him wanting to kill Supes because he only sees the chaos he brings : Black0, Senate, Africa

But I am so on board with the idea that BvS was a reflection on our culture; I don't know if it is just American culture, but when Bruce says to Diana: "Men are still good. We fight. We kill. We betray one another. But we can rebuild. We can do better. We will. We have to."
I immediately connected to the bombing of Japan in 1945 by the US.

Peace

I don't know what he was going for either but that's a pretty insightful and thoughtful interpretation. I like with your theory that hitting Dommsday just makes him tougher.

Peace

No this is spot on, and one of the reasons people reacted so viciously against it, because it's attacking core beliefs of EVERYONE. It's ABSOLUTELY about the political climate and it's insane.

For like-minded and equally critically-reviled political commentary, watch Southland Tales.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the Justice League Universe Podcast is really good I've just discovered it and they're literally going through BvS scene by scene and analysing it and discussing it, they have an anniversary episode which was actually the first episode I listened to, agreeing with a lot and seeing a few new perspectives I didn't consider before.

Awesome parallels between MoS and BvS.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMM6YrlBEz/

Superman is sad and angry at Zod's death, sad because he lost the only remaining connection to his planet, angry because he was forced to kill Zod, by Zod himself who started to act like a madman.

Kal El was upset that Zod killed his father, now after he killed Zod, he too, has become not too different than the man he once despised, which made him scream in anger and disgust.

Batman realizes how he was about to become another Joe Chill, who killed his parents, how he was going to be responsible for the deaths of Superman and Martha Kent, which made him throw away Kryptonite spear in anger and disgust.

Last edited:
Watched the movie again with WW coming up. I still enjoy it more every time I watch it and still really like the movie.

As do I. I watched both MOS and BvS before I went and saw Wonder Woman.

I didn't get the chance with MOS unfortunately. Was going on holiday the next day and only had time for one of them. Went for BvS as that is the most relevant to WW.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the Justice League Universe Podcast is really good I've just discovered it and they're literally going through BvS scene by scene and analysing it and discussing it, they have an anniversary episode which was actually the first episode I listened to, agreeing with a lot and seeing a few new perspectives I didn't consider before.

Is this on YouTube, there's another guy, Sam Otten I think, who analyzes all the DC movie scenes as well, he just started with WW.

I'm going to have to post some of my Batman V Superman archive of positivity here, when I get the chance.

Glad these threads are still alive. I unequivocally love this movie, especially in light of JL. The more I rewatch this the more I think its close to masterpiece.

Glad these threads are still alive. I unequivocally love this movie, especially in light of JL. The more I rewatch this the more I think its close to masterpiece.

Agreed, watching the Ultimate now, think it's in the Top 5..........maybe a bit bias since I got to share screen time with Henry, but I love it!

I love Eisenberg's Lex. I think he was the best in the film. I know it's an unpopular opinion but I think he just perfectly captured the type of person his Lex was. I feel his performance was unfairly misjudged by the masses just because he wasn't the Lex Luthor people wanted or recognized.

Loved MoS and BvS especially the framing of Superman as an outsider and not as universally loved or with dissenting opinions of him kept to villains or just omitted from the movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"