Switch Nintendo's next generational console

Switch and PS4 are different consoles though. The latter can really run impressive graphiX/demanding games which we can't say to Nintendo consoles. Ps5 improved upon from the PS4 - performance wise. Despite supply issues, I think the pandemic helped the public demand for the PS5, since people were stuck at home and online shopping was peaking during 2020/2021 iirc. Switch 2 won't be as powerful as the PS5, and there won't be a groundbreaking gimmick compare to when Switch 1 was released.
I am aware that the Switch and the Ps4 are different consoles, hence me referring to the latter as a traditional video game console. My point was that from the Ps4 to the Ps5, there really isn't much change as far as innovation goes, just a jump in power. I said part of the reason Ps5 is doing great is because it is the successor to the Ps4.

Therefore, when going from the Switch to the Switch 2, there doesn't need to be any "ground breaking gimmick" just like there wasn't one from the Ps4 to 5. The fact that the Switch 2 will be the followup to the Switch alone is reason to believe it will capitalize off of the success of its predecessor.
Switch 1 also sold so much (139.3 million) that it just seems impossible that the successor would catch up (or come close) to those sales, unless Switch 2 offers something really groundbreaking and fresh?
Why? Why does there need to be something groundbreaking and fresh to guarantee a similar level of demand of the Switch 2 compared to the Switch?

As I just explained with my example regarding PlayStations, there wasn't anything groundbreaking and fresh between the two. They are both traditional video game consoles with mostly all the same bells & whistles.
While the PS5 (50 million in 3 years) is almost halfway from PS4's 117 million, and it should get an extra year from sales, since Ps6 is rumoured for a 2028 releaxe (that would be longer, than PS4's time before the Ps5 was released). But still only time will tell if the PS5 can outsell the PS4.
Are you going to start using the letter "x" to replace "s" in several other words now? Or was that just a typo? It's gonna make reading your posts even more annoying if you are, fyi.

Anyway, production on the Ps5 won't cease until at least a year into the Ps6's life cycle. I think the Ps2 was somewhere around 120 million consoles sold in 2006, and yet when it was all said and done its final sales numbers came out to 155 million consoles.

I care less about the new console coming next year than I do at least getting Prime 2 and 3 so I can play them before 4, whenever that comes out (I assume it's a launch title at this point, so I am alright getting it next year)

I care less about the new console coming next year than I do at least getting Prime 2 and 3 so I can play them before 4, whenever that comes out (I assume it's a launch title at this point, so I am alright getting it next year)
the rumor is that part of the reason why it is delayed is because they want the system to launch with a lot of stellar games

I doubt that partner showcase is gonna be the reveal of the Switch 2, but hey they may just mention that the next console is coming!

potential good news for you! apparently at today's ND, the insider Jeff Grubb is perpetuating the rumor that 4 is coming out this year :)

Huh really? To be honest, I cannot really recall what caused the Wii U to drop in popularity from the Wii before it.

It was absolutely the gamepad. Which, really, was pretty great, but it wasn't used well and quite frankly, inflated the cost of the Wii U too much.

potential good news for you! apparently at today's ND, the insider Jeff Grubb is perpetuating the rumor that 4 is coming out this year :)
Hopefully that means 2 and 3 are in the not too distant future then!

It was absolutely the gamepad. Which, really, was pretty great, but it wasn't used well and quite frankly, inflated the cost of the Wii U too much.
I remember seeing that gamepad for the first time and saying, "this looks like it definitely took inspiration from the Xbox 360 controller" which is generally regarded as the greatest video gamepad of all time. but I think the Wii U's downfall had more to do with than just that.

whatever it was, the eighth generation wasn't even perceived to have begun until the the release of the Ps4 and Xbone, which was almost a whole year after the Wii U's launch.
Hopefully that means 2 and 3 are in the not too distant future then!
yeah maybe! if you're interested I think it is just around the 11:30 mark of the ND in the Switch thread

All I need to know is if Switch 2 will be backwards compatible. Been considering getting a Switch OLED and have mostly been stocking up on games, but if Switch 2 will be backwards compatible...I can wait.

I remember seeing that gamepad for the first time and saying, "this looks like it definitely took inspiration from the Xbox 360 controller" which is generally regarded as the greatest video gamepad of all time. but I think the Wii U's downfall had more to do with than just that.

whatever it was, the eighth generation wasn't even perceived to have begun until the the release of the Ps4 and Xbone, which was almost a whole year after the Wii U's launch.

yeah maybe! if you're interested I think it is just around the 11:30 mark of the ND in the Switch thread

What?

Nothing about the gamepad screams anything like an xbox controller, you may be thinking about the pro controller.

What?

Nothing about the gamepad screams anything like an xbox controller, you may be thinking about the pro controller.

Ohhhhhh whoa, yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of. I didn't know that the separate, more traditional controller was the "pro". I thought that was part of the full package.

the latest rumor is that the Switch 2 was delayed to March of next year to avoid scalpers. and honestly, that makes a lot of sense, but I don't see how delaying the release will avoid that.

the latest rumor is that the Switch 2 was delayed to March of next year to avoid scalpers. and honestly, that makes a lot of sense, but I don't see how delaying the release will avoid that.
I will be glad if the platform makers can find ways to beat the parasitic scalpers. Not sure what the logic is here but if it works, cool.

I wonder if that Thousand Year Door remake could be pushed back as a Switch 2 title. Because it never had a release date, right?

I will be glad if the platform makers can find ways to beat the parasitic scalpers. Not sure what the logic is here but if it works, cool.
the only thing I can think of is if they push it a little further out into March, then not only does that make it a full 8 years since the release of the first Switch, but it's also long enough after the holiday season that they probably will have enough consoles in stock to meet demand...at least, I think that's what they are doing.

btw Iceman, when the console is officially revealed, could you please retitle this thread to whatever the name of the console is? "Switch 2" most likely, but I am hoping for "Superswitch" personally
I wonder if that Thousand Year Door remake could be pushed back as a Switch 2 title. Because it never had a release date, right?
indeed. it was officially announced last year to be released this year, but without a date.

Last edited:
the only thing I can think of is if they push it a little further out into March, then not only does that make it a full 7 years since the release of the first Switch, but it's also long enough after the holiday season that they probably will have enough consoles in stock to meet demand...at least, I think that's what they are doing.

btw Iceman, when the console is officially revealed, could you please retitle this thread to whatever the name of the console is? "Switch 2" most likely, but I am hoping for "Superswitch" personally

indeed. it was officially announced last year to be released this year, but without a date.
Oh right, yeah that makes sense. At least they could be a bit closer to meeting demand meaning a bit less business for scalpers.

Yes, of course. If I don't see send me a reminder and I'll get done, cheers.

an 8 inch LCD screen...
I suppose increasing the size is an improvement, but after 7 years including one refresh featuring an OLED screen, couldn't OLED have been the standard for the next console?

if this rumors rings true then as it stands, there will be something from the previous gen that will be an advantage over the next console.

More time for more production, more time to build up how many you have for the initial release, and to have production ironed out for the rest of the year.

It is not nearly a big enough title for them to consider that. Nintendo's release schedule is already thin as it is.

an 8 inch LCD screen...
I suppose increasing the size is an improvement, but after 7 years including one refresh featuring an OLED screen, couldn't OLED have been the standard for the next console?

if this rumors rings true then as it stands, there will be something from the previous gen that will be an advantage over the next console.

Nintendo loves to release minor tweaks to their systems.

More time for more production, more time to build up how many you have for the initial release, and to have production ironed out for the rest of the year.
yep, that's what I was suspecting too.
Nintendo loves to release minor tweaks to their systems.
I get that, but going from LCD to OLED is not minor, it's major. And if the next console launches with an LCD screen while the previous console has a tweak that's better than that (an OLED screen), then it already means that the next console will have an inferior quality to it coexisting with Switch OLED.

The next console should be launching with an OLED screen. Any and all tweaks should build upon that.

I think this article is reaching a little bit
They wrote, “Pokémon Legends Z-A, an ambitious new entry to the Pokémon video game series, will launch on Nintendo Switch systems in 2025.”

“Systems”, plural. It looks as if Legends Z-A may launch on both the current Nintendo Switch and its upcoming successor, colloquially referred to as the Nintendo Switch 2.
Not that I don't think this game could release on Nintendo's next console, but I think it was just a typo on the Pokemon day presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"