Now 1990s Flash is back - returning to other former DC screen universes?

danlav05

Civilian
Reaction score
So the Elseworlds crossover revealed a few months ago that John Wesley Shipp was back in his old Flash costume from the 90s. This is very interesting and kind of groundbreaking - West and Ward did 'Legends of the Superheroes' as well as a few animated series and of course the recent movies, but not since then has a former DC hero reprised their role on screen.

With DC usually a hero comes along for a few years and when they're done that's it, but if the retro-Flash's comeback is a success , could DC consider bringing others back?

Brandon Routh, Helen Slater, Dean Cain, Teri Hatcher and several others already have Arrowverse roles so bringing their original roles back may be tricky, unless it's done outside of the Arrowverse.

Plus there's the possibility of animation - wasn't a Wonder Woman '77 movie rumoured after Batman '66? I'm surprised they haven't adapted Smallville Season 11 yet. I'd personally love Batman 89, but a comic idea was rejected. Maybe if they could get Keaton on live action TV he could be Beyond era? r they could even do a Kingdom Come story.

What would you like to see? There are plenty of possibilities

The one I would dearly love but alas cannot be is Christopher Reeve voicing Superman again. God rest his soul.

Since it is Elseworlds and anything goes in the multi-verse, I don't see why having Dean Cain, Helen Slater, Teri Hatcher or Brandon Routh back in their roles would be a problem.

After all, on Earth 1, John Wesley Shipp was Henry Allen. On Earth 2 he was Jay Garrick. They were two completely different characters with different lives.

Shipp as 90s Flash is presumably not Earth 2 Jay Garrick but an entirely different Flash.

We could easily have a different earth Dean Cain Superman who is not Jeremiah Danvers. Same with Helen Slater who could be that earth's Kara Zor-El and not Eliza Danvers. Neither of them would need to have had a daughter named Chyler Danvers, nor an adoptive daughter named Kara.

And on another earth, we could get a Lois Lane who looks like Teri Hatcher. She wouldn't be a Daxamite at all.

And on yet another earth, we could get a Superman who looks like Brandon Routh, who is not Ray Palmer.

The Flash has already proved that they can have the same actor playing different roles entirely.

It would be great to see Tyler Hoechlin's Superman meet the Brandon Routh Superman. They would both look nothing alike, but they'd both be Clark of their own worlds.

Or we could have a similar kind of moment of Barry meeting Henry/Jay with Kara and Jeremiah/Clark. Dean Cain could be an older Superman and Kara and Chyler would be surprised to see him, because he is not Kara's adoptive father but Kara's cousin now. Or Eliza would not be Kara's adoptive mother but Kara herself.

The multiverse angle is DC’s key to unlocking a successful multi-part franchise that will rival and probably exceed Marvel.

Since it is Elseworlds and anything goes in the multi-verse, I don't see why having Dean Cain, Helen Slater, Teri Hatcher or Brandon Routh back in their roles would be a problem.

After all, on Earth 1, John Wesley Shipp was Henry Allen. On Earth 2 he was Jay Garrick. They were two completely different characters with different lives.

Shipp as 90s Flash is presumably not Earth 2 Jay Garrick but an entirely different Flash.

We could easily have a different earth Dean Cain Superman who is not Jeremiah Danvers. Same with Helen Slater who could be that earth's Kara Zor-El and not Eliza Danvers. Neither of them would need to have had a daughter named Chyler Danvers, nor an adoptive daughter named Kara.

And on another earth, we could get a Lois Lane who looks like Teri Hatcher. She wouldn't be a Daxamite at all.

And on yet another earth, we could get a Superman who looks like Brandon Routh, who is not Ray Palmer.

The Flash has already proved that they can have the same actor playing different roles entirely.

It would be great to see Tyler Hoechlin's Superman meet the Brandon Routh Superman. They would both look nothing alike, but they'd both be Clark of their own worlds.

Or we could have a similar kind of moment of Barry meeting Henry/Jay with Kara and Jeremiah/Clark. Dean Cain could be an older Superman and Kara and Chyler would be surprised to see him, because he is not Kara's adoptive father but Kara's cousin now. Or Eliza would not be Kara's adoptive mother but Kara herself.

love this post - a Kingdom Come semi-adaptation would work for most of these! Having Routh as Superman especially would be good as his time was cut short.

I wish they got Brandon Routh or Dean Cain as Superman in the black suit for this Elseworlds crossover instead of having Tyler Hoechlin playing the part twice. Routh would've been easy to get since he's on Legends already and always around.

After all, Amell and Gustin aren't even playing their regular roles. So Routh wouldn't have to play Ray Palmer for this. It's too late now though.

I hear David Boreanaz getting thrown around for a tv Batman. Well, I'm game for him or whoever it is donned the cowl for Birds of Prey & Tom Welling doing some sort of Kingdom Come thing.
Welling with his current grey hair, physique, and voice seems pretty spot-on.

Dude Boreanaz would be amazing. He was a fan favorite when they were casting for Batman Begins. He’d absolutely kill it. Angel was basically an extended audition for Batman.

Another great option would be Anson Mount. Forget Inhumans and watch him in “Hell on Wheels”. He’d make a fantastic Batman.

And whoa... Welling as Kingdom Come Supes would be AMAZING.

Another great option would be Anson Mount. Forget Inhumans and watch him in “Hell on Wheels”. He’d make a fantastic Batman.

Wasn't he in the 'possible's' list when Affleck was cast ? I seem to remember him being in the consideration list.

I believe he's playing a Barry Allen this time around.

Dude Boreanaz would be amazing. He was a fan favorite when they were casting for Batman Begins. He’d absolutely kill it. Angel was basically an extended audition for Batman.

Boreanaz was my choice for Bruce Wayne for a while post Batman and Robin and pre-Batman Begins during the late 90s and early 00s. And ironically, Anson Mount was my choice for Clark Kent around the same time period. Lol.

To see him in the suit, with old theme song as lightning effects is awesome, made me happy to see this. His suit, even at his age still looks amazing as he still wears it with honor. I can't wait for crossover event and when I see his suit, it makes Gustins suit look terrible, why not give him one that looks like his and material like his suit, a smaller copy of that for Grant to wear in series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"