IF magazine's Top ten heroes want to see turn into a film

Webhead2006

The Web-Swinger
Reaction score
Hmmm take a look at this article lol. I didnt know the best place to put this. And hope making a thread is ok.
http://ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=2937
Movies/Comics:

Listmania: THE TOP 10 DC COMICS HEROES WE WANT TO SEE TURNED INTO A MOVIE

Everything from WONDER WOMAN to SANDMAN make the grade plus there's five (AQUAMAN anyone) who we feel who shouldn't hit the big screen

By ARNOLD T. BLUMBERG, Contributing Editor
Published 8/14/2008

The whirlwind success of THE DARK KNIGHT has proven at least one thing – DC Comics heroes will never lose their star power. In an era of comic book-based movies in which the Marvel pantheon – Spider-Man, the X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man – seems to have dominated, DC has proven it still has the box office bang necessary to make records.

SUPERMAN RETURNS may not have been an ideal reintroduction for the publisher’s number one icon, but with the Man of Steel and the Gotham Caped Crusader well established in new franchises, the question is which DC superheroes should get their shot at cinema stardom next? We have some ideas, and keep in mind that quite a few of these have already been trapped in Development Hell for a long time.

1.) WONDER WOMAN

(C) DC Comics
Ideally they should preserve the WWII-era setting for her first visit to the world of men, but it doesn’t really matter. Cast the right raven-haired Amazon and we’ll go see it.
Casting Choices: Evangeline Lilly, Morena Baccarin

2.) GREEN LANTERN

(C) DC Comics

Hal Jordan please. The heroic test pilot turned galactic policeman has franchise written all over it, and the costume would be just fine exactly as it is.
Casting Choices: Billy Crudup, Nathan Fillion

3.) THE FLASH

(C) DC Comics

The short-lived TV show really wasn’t all that bad, but expand this movie to explore the extended Flash family and the nature of the Speed Force and it might have more of an epic quality.
Casting Choices: James Roday, Neil Patrick Harris

4.) GREEN ARROW

(C) DC Comics

There are some Bat-similarities, but Oliver Queen has a gritty world of his own to protect and if they could then team him with long-time partner, Hal Jordan, that would be one hell of a team-up film.
Casting Choice: Alan Tudyk, Brad Pitt

5.) MARTIAN MANHUNTER

(C) DC Comics

An alien that faints at the sight of fire might seem lame, but he’s been reinvented to great effect in the past, and there are some great sci-fi possibilities here.
Casting Choice: Michael Clarke Duncan, Vin Diesel

6.) PLASTIC MAN

(C) DC Comics

As the goofy cousin to Marvel’s Mr. Fantastic and DC’s own Elongated Man, Plastic Man is easily managed via CGI effects and could be a great light-hearted superhero romp. Don’t forget Woozy Winks!
Casting Choice: David Tennant, Jim Carrey

7.) SANDMAN

(C) DC Comics

This all depends on Neil Gaiman I suppose, but just imagine a film series that even comes close to the literary grandeur of this landmark Vertigo series.
Casting Choice: James McAvoy, Wes Bentley

8.) HAWKMAN/HAWKGIRL

(C) DC Comics

There’s a reason why these characters turn up again and again in JLA incarnations – there’s something compelling about their design. With the right script, they could become fine-feathered icons.
Casting Choice: Hawkman: David Boreanaz; Hawkgirl: Jessica Biel

9.) SUPERGIRL

(C) DC Comics

The Helen Slater misfire notwithstanding, it’s about time Superman’s cousin got a second chance at movie stardom. Perhaps Peter David’s excellent run could serve as inspiration for a take on the character as a fallen angel.
Casting Choice: Katherine Heigl, Kate Hudson

10.) THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA
(C) DC Comics

This has almost been happening for years, but the ultimate powerhouse team-up could be brilliant…or a horrible failure. It all comes down to casting, and we think they should keep the solo film headliners in place.
Casting Choice: Just look above!

…AND FIVE DC COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS WE DON’T WANT TO SEE TURNED INTO FILMS

1.) MATTER EATER LAD

(C) DC Comics

As if there isn’t enough reason for some superhero actors to chew the scenery.

2.) STREAKY

(C) DC Comics

The crazy thing is that a movie about a cape-wearing super-kitty might actually do really well.

3.) AQUAMAN

(C) DC Comics

Yeah, we know. Poor Aquaman gets no love. But whether he’s the orange-shirted swimmer or the King Arthur-wannabe, Aquaman just seems like a wet blanket.

4.) BOUNCING BOY

(C) DC Comics

Our second no-no from the Legion of Super-Heroes, puffy Chuck Taine and his bouncy antics were not only laughable but almost insulting to heavier folks.

5.) HOURMAN

(C) DC Comics

This original Justice Society member downed a potion and became a hero…for one hour at a time. These days a short-lived hero based around drinking (or worse, taking drugs) might send the wrong message.
Poor aquaman they give him no love.

Amen to the top 10 DC characters chosen.

Maybe that will give Warner Brothers some ideas...

YEa to bad they put aquaman in the no film catagory. If done right he could be a good film.

I didnt like any of their Casting Choices except for Green Lantern

Aquaman gets no love AGAIN,

I agree with the characters for the most part though. Im in no hurry to see Hawkman though. They say that there is something compelling with the Hawkpeople, which is true but at the same time I never was that interested in them except in super team situations.

Well some sound good but i only really know a few of their picks.

Scratch that, Flash isnt too bad either, and WW is half good

Why does everyone hate on Aquaman? And what's wrong with Bouncing Boy? Granted, he shouldn't be in a solo film, but he's a great character and would do well in a good Legion franchise.

the 5 bottome were just poor attempts at humor. i dont think anyone would try to put a superpet on screen (except maybe Krypto, which is a big MAYBE). and the Legoinarres always kinda look stupid at first glance.

Hourman might work better than they think. The fact that his powers have time limits adds tension but it may get to gimmicky. The substance abuse subplot might also work great for film, like a superhero Requiem for a Dream

People are fu****g idiots if they think a big budget Aquaman movie wouldn't work.

Green Lantern is the top priority. Amen DC/WB knows it too by pushing GL before any properties 'cept Batman & Superman.

WW comes next, then Flash. Ok for Green Arrow. MM? Hardly. I put Aquaman & Hawkman first before MM.

Green Lantern is the top priority. Amen DC/WB knows it too by pushing GL before any properties 'cept Batman & Superman.

I hope they do it. GL still needs to get green lighted, however. That hasn't happened as far as know.

WW comes next, then Flash.

While WW is part of the trinity WB the film and tv division doesn't treat her with that respect.

I'd expect to see a Green Arrow solo movie before her's.

Plastic Man over Aquaman? Get real.

I don't even respect Aquaman but I rather see him in a solo film over Plastic Man. He screams straight to DVD.

YEa i do really hope wb is finally getting on the ball with the dc films. I hope they can make some good and serious films and faithfully adapt the characters. I do hope gl/flash/ww/green arrow/shazam will happen. Right now with all the reports GL is the most likely to be the one to happen first, then possibly the green arrow prison break film, and then maybe shazam.

Justice League should be in first and Supergirl could be replaced by Aquaman.

Poor Aquaman. No love for him.

I really like Neil Patrick Harris as Flash and ALan Tudyk as Green Arrow.

I really want to see a Flash movie kinda like the flash from the live action TV show. It would be great IMO.

Aquaman could be a movie that's amazing and it could completely reignite the comic scene, but people would still call him the guy that talks to fish. :( Imagine a movie with him protecting Sub Diego after being banished from Atlantis with a minimal backstory. I'd love that.

Hourman could also be great, especially the cyborg with Snapper Carr. It'd be better to have a Justice Society film though.

Morena Bacarrin as Wonder Woman FTW!!!

I don't like Aquaman and I'm not sure I'd go see his movie if it was in theaters but if done properly the movie can do really well. I don't understand the hate about him. :huh:

I don't understand the hate about him. :huh:

He's become a cultural joke. The super-hero anyone can be better then because they think all he can do is talk to fish.

High profile shows like SNL and Entourage deepen the wound to the franchise by using it as a punchline.

JLU has helped but a great serious movie could repair some of the damage to wider audience.

that is an awful list. Firstly Streaky and Krypto could totally make a successful animated feature film.

secondly, he completely misses the point of the legionnaires. Matter eater lad is great comic relief, and bouncing boy has a heart of gold who shows anyone can be a superhero with determination.

thirdly, His whole supergirl entry is awful. Peter David's Supergirl was ultimately canned because it was too different from what everyone knows as supergirl. Stick to the basics and you can't go wrong. The angel, matrix rubbish needs to be left in the comic abyss of the 90's. Also WTF is with those casting choices, way too old!

As for the list as a whole, replace martian manhunter with Birds of Prey/Legion/Teen Titans and hawkman/girl with shazam and its right

Movies that should be done:
Justice League of America.
Green Lantern.
The Flash.
Wonder-Woman.
Teen Titans.
Green Arrow.
Aquaman.
Hawkman and Hawkgirl.
Martian Manhunter.
Shazam.
Plastic Man.
Doom Patrol.
Metalic Men.
Jonah Hex.
Sargent Rock.
Adam Strange.
Zatanna.

Do people think that Aquaman's power is that he can sit and have a conversation with fish? Like thats all he does, has a little chat with the fish? Asks them how their day is going or something?

Is Animal Man just the guy that can talk to animals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"