Official: United Football League

So would I:up: We could sit in B12 and B13 and scream like irate Philly fans:D

Orlando Team has rights to Vick if he wants to Play!!!

From ESPN:
New league to consider signing VickComment Email Print Share Associated Press

NEW YORK -- When the United Football League debuts in October, Michael Vick could be one of its players.

Michael Huyghue, the commissioner of the new four-team league, says the UFL is willing to give Vick a place to play -- provided there are no pending legal issues. His rights belong to the Orlando franchise.

"One of the things that is important in our premiere season is to showcase the quality of talent and the coaches, and to be able to show outstanding players who find themselves in this quagmire the NFL creates," Huyghue said. "Michael Vick might be that kind of player because he is ... a phenomenal talent, but he needs transitionining back into the NFL.

"Also gaining as much widespread exposure for the league as possible might be addressed with Michael Vick."

Huyghue said he will monitor the Vick situation closely and "if he is free and clear of legal issues, we will look at the situation."

Vick already has served an 18-month sentence in federal prison for his involvement in a dogfighting ring. He is under home confinement until July 20, after which the NFL is expected to announce whether the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback will be suspended.

Vick, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft, has not played football since the 2006 season.

The UFL will have teams in Orlando, New York, Las Vegas and San Francisco, playing games mostly on Thursday nights in October and November. The championship game will be Nov. 27, the day after Thanksgiving.

Orlando acquired UFL rights to Vick in an allocation draft of players not under contract in the NFL.

"I don't know if the NFL will suspend Vick," said Dennis Green, coach of the San Francisco team and the chairman of the UFL's competition committee -- a role he also held while coaching in the NFL. "What he did was very wrong, and he paid his debt to society. He was a model inmate, otherwise he never would have made it out from prison early.

"Now he has to show he loves the game and is a responsible citizen. You can't show you love the game if you're not able to play the game. So if Michael Vick were to say, 'I will play for not a lot of money,' well, hello. We're here.

"If he is not allowed back into the NFL and he wants to show he is a model citizen and he loves the game, there is not a better situation for him."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would have no comment. Joel Segal, Vick's agent, did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press.

If Vick plays for Orlando, I would honestly go to every Orlando home game.

I would even buy a Vick UFL jersey.

Sounds like a winner. :up:Right up there with the USFL, NFL Europe and the XFL. :whatever:
The USFL was actually successful until they got greedy and tried to go directly up against the NFL on television. The XFL failed because it tried to be too radically different from the NFL. NFL World League/Europe was fun, but in the end just plain stupid.

How many teams do they have now............. 4

It's because the league's administration is logical - it realizes that trying to spread itself too wide too fast is a good way to ensure its destruction. So you start a season with a low number of teams, gain credibility by having them aired on cable with a few notable stars, and then expand in your second year.

They are even taking games on the road to other cities to expand interest in the teams.

It's a smart business plan. The reason this league may work is because it has strong finical capital and smart business sense in it's management.

They are also probably taking advantage of the Arena Football League ending.

Arena Football didn't end. It'll be back in 2010.

A few months back..they basically said, "Yeah, we had to suspend ops in order to restructure our finances..but we'll be back next season"

I'm glad too, arena games are quite fun :up:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Even before it has any players or has announced its stadiums and schedule, the new United Football League has some rules.

They're not all the same as NFL rules. Not even close.

When the four-team UFL kicks off its premiere season in October, it will give both teams a possession of the ball in overtime, allow quarterbacks under duress to ground the ball inside or outside the pocket, and eliminate the controversial tuck rule.

There also will be more leeway given on touchdown celebrations, provided they are in the end zone or bench area, with "tasteful" group celebrations allowed.

All officiating decisions using instant replay will be made by an official in the replay booth, not by the referee.

"The UFL's Competition Committee looked at the current rules that govern most professional football leagues and determined ways to enhance the overall experience for both the players and the fans," said San Francisco coach Dennis Green, the chairman of the committee. "While enhancing the overall fan experience, the UFL took strict measures not to employ any stunts or gimmicks that would compromise the overall integrity and competitiveness of the game."

So the UFL will allow approved television cameras in the locker rooms for the first four minutes of halftime. Head coaches will be wired for sound for broadcasts, although no sideline discussions will be aired. TV audiences will hear coach-to-quarterback communication on tape delays.

"Our mission is to provide greater access to traditionally off-limit locations, including the locker room and behind the bench, to better engage the fans and bring them closer to the action," Green said.

During overtime, both teams will get one possession in the allotted 15 minutes. After those possessions, if the score remains tied, sudden-death rules apply.

For instant replay decisions, the officials will be allowed 90 seconds to conduct reviews rather than 60 seconds -- although those reviews often linger far beyond such time limits.

The elimination of the tuck rule made famous in a 2002 playoff game between New England and Oakland means it will be a fumble if the passer loses possession of the ball as he is putting it away after completion of the forward pass motion without releasing a pass.

And a fumble into and out of the end zone will return the ball to the spot of the fumble when not recovered in the end zone.

"The rules pretty much will be the same that all players are accustomed to out of college and the NFL," Green said. "It will be what our fans are accustomed to. This is not a gimmick league. People are not going to watch us because we have better celebrations.

"We are going to play football the American public has proven over and over again it wants. If it is a good, solid brand of football, America will never get bored with it."

Having leniency on celebrations is a great decision by the league. If this league can take advantages of the faults in the NFL, it will do alright.

Having leniency on celebrations is a great decision by the league. If this league can take advantages of the faults in the NFL, it will do alright.

Why are people so big on the TD celebration?? do you want some Riverdance type **** with the O Line??

Why are people so big on the TD celebration?? do you want some Riverdance type **** with the O Line??

Yes I do.

I understand sports is entertainment. So in my sports league, you would have TD celebrations and every stadium would look more like Tampa's.

I don't understand the QB under duress rule...but the others I like.

Sounds like QB's in the UFL can be wimpy...

San Francisco
Las Vegas
Orlando
New York

Games will also be played at Hartford, Connecticut, Sacramento and Los Angeles (which could lead to franchises) also Salt Lake City and Monterey are potential expansion cities.

where in Hartford are they playing?? there isn't a football stadium anywhere around there

Rentschler Field, yea....the Huskies play there....I sometimes forget its there as it is pretty new

I really don't know if I can watch or support this...it's just going to come off as the rejects league to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"