Apocalypse Olivia Munn IS Psylocke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
She looks good to me.

So far this is one of the few costumes I'm liking.

There's this review of Psylocke's character online that I find pretty spot on. I wish Fox would read this shiz.

http://www.pfspublishing.com/bookclub/2012/03/character-analysis-psylocke-the-telepathic-ninja-with-race-issues.html

The idea of the X-Men is simple: they are mutants, who are feared and hated by normal humans, but they have sworn to protect the world that fears and hates them. The central theme here is obviously racism and other types of prejudice. Having one character to have literally changed race over the course of her history should make for an interesting idea.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, this really goes unexplored. When Kwannon appeared, in Psylocke's original body, I'm not 100% sure what the writers wanted to do. Psylocke's new swimsuit outfit was quite popular for its cheesecake factor, wherein artists would frequently drew her stretching or bending over.
In a series about prejudice, what does it say that the one woman who should have more to say than anyone doesn't say anything at all? Most of the time, Psylocke's transformation from white to Asian is barely commented on...

Seriously haha

The mind swapping of Betsy has been brought up enough in comics. They don't need to go into detail anymore on it, it's usually a cluster **** of storytelling tbh. They needed to stop relying on it as her only arcs. Her most powerful storytelling came later and has nothing to do with that stuff, and more about her moral on killing, being a leader and the complex relationships with other characters. Which is far more interesting.

Anyways, thanks for giving us an awesome Psylocke Fox :awesome:

Really stoked they went with it. :up:

Last edited:
The idea that Psylocke is a British woman inside the body of an Asian woman, whose mind is apparently disposable, but whose body is hyper-sexualized, has always bothered me.

Psylocke is a great character, arguably my favorite female X-Men. But just like any character there's the good and the bad depending on the writer. Or if the sexual physique bothers someone, the artist.

Last edited:
The idea that Psylocke is a British woman inside the body of an Asian woman, whose mind is apparently disposable, but whose body is hyper-sexualized, has always bothered me.
Ditto.

I think it's a fascinating concept. But I'm okay if no one cares for it.

I just think it's better that they landed with her finally being in her Japanese body in the comics and stopped the swapping. They also gave her a few new suits. These two things got alot of complaints with a certain portion of fans and while I'm sure some prefer her being in her original British body, the story leading up to it being destroyed by the hand felt complete. No need to go back. Let her move on as a character.

I'm not sure how they are handling Betsy character wise in the film. Her backstory is quite complicated though, and will need time. So I can undertsand if they want to skip the mind swapping. It's always been my main concern they will just use her as a villain and not allow her to move onto future films. Which would be a shame, especially considering she's a major leader of X-Force and we all know that's coming sooner or later.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm thinking she may just be a half asian half caucasian (and she better be) British woman, end of story
the body swapping nonsense would take a whole movie by itself to explain

i'd be surprised if olivia does a british accent, i ain't expecting her to have one tbh

yeah prob, and its laaame
stop the American-washing, hollywood!

Let's worry about the characters actually having significant lines of dialogue first.

I was hoping that they would have the four Horsemen undergo some sort of physical alteration, like Angel becoming Archangel.

My hope was that Psylocke would be a Horseman (so they at least got that right), but I thought it would have been really cool and a great nod if she started as this at the beginning:

a631079bc3b99f3bae442a4bcd3c90f4.jpg

But then look like this after being transformed:

latest

As long as they get the psychic knife right, I'll probably be happy with her.

extreme_blueberry_psylocke_by_ultimatetattts.jpg

And if they don't get it right, aka, do it the way you want it done will you be okay? Or will you like blow a gasket in the theater?

Surprised he isn't advocating for her actual Horsemen "outfit". COMIC ACCURACY!!!

I was hoping that they would have the four Horsemen undergo some sort of physical alteration, like Angel becoming Archangel.

My hope was that Psylocke would be a Horseman (so they at least got that right), but I thought it would have been really cool and a great nod if she started as this at the beginning:

How do we know they dont undergo some sort of physical change, nobody knows what might happen to them at the end of the film or half way through it, you've lept to some conclusions here I fear. I'm not sure swapping clothes for Pyslocke really constitutes a great change physically anyway.

Oh this is the type of stuff I imagine singer to ditch lol

i'd be surprised if olivia does a british accent, i ain't expecting her to have one tbh

Yeah, and while I was impressed with Munn's acting chops in The Newsroom, I don't get the sense that she'd excel at affecting a British accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"