One Universe: Season III IC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
supesbanner.bmp

Part 1: It Takes Two...

"Kara, something could've happened to you! You could've DIED!" Superman's voiced boomed throughout the crystal walls of the Fortress of Solitude as he yelled at his "younger" cousin, Kara.

"I'm sory, Kal. I thought you would need my help. I'm sorry..."

Clark looked into his cousin's eyes and saw the remorse within. He could tell that she was truly sorry, not for what she did, but for angering him by putting her life at risk helping him, now with this "Kryptonite" stuff that can cause harm to Kryptonians. But, then again, who was he to judge. He does the exactly the same thing every day.

Besides, even Batman has a sidekick...

"It's alright, Kara. So, how was your first time saving the world?"

Kara's eyes immediately brightened as she smiled, and Clark smiled back...

Part 2: An Open Slot...

"I'm sorry, Superman, but I'm leaving. I tried telling Tony, but I only got his voicemail, and I can't tell Jay. You were the only one I could turn to..."

"It's alright, Ms. Lance. I understand... Sometimes, you just need to take some time off to be with the people you care about..." the Man of Steel assured his departing teammate, thinking of his family, Kara, and even Lois Lane.

"Thank you, Superman. You think the League will be okay without me? You'll be one man down..."

"Don't worry about us, Dinah. I think I have someone in mind that can fill in for you..." The Man of Tomorrow said with a smile.

* * *​

"You're a hard man to find..."

The shrouded figure didn't respond. He merely scowled at the sight of the Last Son of Krypton. As he did with every hero that showed up in his city...

"Listen, I know you haven't been too keen on joining our team before, but after Magneto's attack? Our team has gotten smaller... Black Canary has taken leave. Alan Scott is taking some time off to be with his family, and Wildcat's going to keep running his gym. I mean, we do have some solid members in Flash, Cap, Tony and Spider-Man. Wonder Woman just came back too, but we could definately use someone like you in the League..."

The dark figure continued to scowl at the floating Superman.

"After all, you are the World's Greatest Detective..."

The cape and cowled man simply grunted, giving Superman a sense of hope that the man might just come around yet. Which made the Man of Tomorrow smile once more...

"Alright then. Well, if you ever change your mind, you know where to find us. Good talking to you again, Batman..." Clark ended as he took off into the Gotham night skies, the Dark Knight watching from below as he did before he jumped off into the shadows...

Part 3: Look up in the sky...

"KENT!! My office! NOW!"

The loud bellows of Perry White had brought all eyes on to the reporter he summoned, who timidly sat at his desk typing, and pushing up his glasses when he stood up.

That reporter was none other than Clark Kent. The guy everyone doesn't notice. The guy trying to make ends meet. The guy who'll never get the girl. The guy who's about to be yelled at by his boss...

"Y-you...wanted to see me, sir?" Clark asked after sticking his head through the doorway.

"Yes, Clark. Have a seat."

Clark fixed his glasses and took a seat in fromt of Perry's desk, twiddling his thumbs to relieve his tension.

"Kent, I need you to go to STAR Labs and cover the unveiling of the meteorite they found in Utah last week..." Perry ordered, showing clark the headline in yesterday's paper mentioning the event in question.

"But, sir. I don't know if I can cover an event like tha--"

"Kent, stop being such a pansy!" Perry yelled. Clark immediately pursed his lips shut.

"Now listen to me. I don't tell anybody this too often, but you're one of the finest reporters I've got on the paper. Your stories, Kent. The ones you just did about the Magneto attacks... They're amazing! You describe them with such detail... it's like you were actually there."

Clark looked down to the floor in embarrassment.

If you only knew, Perry...

But before he could continue listening to Perry, something was ringing in his ear. A faint sound. But it wasn't coming from the room. No. It was coming from elsewhere. So Clark concentrated, and he concentrated hard, so that he could make out the noises and piece them together...

*BOOM!*

"HEEEELP!!"

"SOMEBODY SAVE US!!"

"SUPERMAN!!!!"

But then Clark's attention soon turned back to Perry, so that he can end the conversation as quickly as possible and find out who's attcking the city.

"So what do you say, Kent? Are you gonna do it or am I gonna give it to Lane?"

"I'll cover the story, Perry. You have my word. As a matter of fact, I've got to run home to get ready. I'll see you tomorrow!" Clark responded as he rushed out of the door.

"I expect that story on my desk tomorrow morning, Kent! NO EXCUSES!!!" Perry shouted from his office at the powerwalking reporter.

"You got it, Perry!" He yelled back, heading for the elevator. He started walking faster and faster, even runing a few small steps, passing by all his colleagues.

"Whoah there, Smallville! What's the rush?" The elegant Lois Lane had inquired as the nearly running Clark sped by her.

"Emergency. You know how it is, Lois..." He said taking those final steps towards the elevator before pressing the button and walking inside. As the doors closed, the last thing he saw in the Daily Planet office was Lois getting up from her desk and looking at Clark in the elevator.

Now. This looks like a job for the Man of Steel...

Just as the doors completely shut, and Clark could feel the elevator going down, he took off his glasses pulled off his shirt to reveal the big red "S".

300473-109153-superman_super.jpg

In a matter of milliseconds, the mild-mannered reporter had finished shedding his clothes to become the Man of Steel.

The doors of the elevator had opened once it came to a stop, but when they staff looked in, there was no one inside. Because before the doors completely opened, Clark, using his superspeed, had ran outside and took off into the skies. Faster than a speeding bullet towards the origin of the commotion...

As Clark navigated his way through the skyline, the citizens below began to take notice of their icon, and began to cheer.

"Look everyone! Up in the sky!"

"What is it? Is it a bird?"

"I think it's a plane."

"No, it's... It's..."

The Man of Steel smiled as he knew what he was going to say. He was all too familiar with that line...

"It's me. Superman..."

300472-72583-superman_super.jpg

I'm exhausted. My body aches and is crying out for sleep. My mind feels like mush. I couldn't even come straight home after talking with Gordon. No, there was a robbery to stop. And then he had to show up. Now, all I want to do is stick my head under the sheets for a week. I'm physically, mentally, and emotionally drained.

So why can't I fall asleep?

When I got home, I stripped out of my costume as quickly as I could, and trudged my way upstairs, straight for my bedroom. Inside, an angel slept in my bed. I stood there a moment, a little overwhelmed. All the horrible things I had been dealing with, and this beautiful woman is the last thing I'll see before closing my eyes.

I crawled into bed behind Elektra, wrapping my arm around her. She stirred slightly and smiled, pressing herself back against me before drifting off again. I breathed deeply of her scent, and enjoyed the warmth of her body. My mind toils over everything that's happened over the last couple of days. Harvey's attack, Joker in New York, Two-Face tearing through the mob, even Superman asking me to join the League. And I wonder what the future is going to hold for me, my family, my friends, and my city.

An hour later, and my eyes are still open...

One month from now, and he would be President of the United States. It had been a long, hard road, but with the overwhelming support of the American people, he'd fought his way to victory at the election, and since then, had been President-Elect. But that was just the start of his work. Not one to rest on his laurels, the soon-to-be President had been in close contact with Amanda Waller and other government operatives, masterminding the Avengers Initiative, assembling a team which would change the landscape of America, the world.

Months of intense planning, and on the day of his inauguration, it would all be put into action. The American people had put their faith in him, and as President, he wanted to reward that faith. He refused to be another impotent beurocrat. He was going to actually make a difference. He was going to make the world a better place, and remind the American people about what makes their nation great.

With a click of a remote, his deluxe stereo system kicked into life. Ah, Sam Cooke. He paced across his office, stopping at the window and looking out at the city below. He'd done so much for this city. But he knew he could do so much more. His time was coming.

I was born by the river in a little tent,​

Elsewhere, the citizens of Keystone go to sleep without fear. Because they know the Scarlet Speedster runs their streets, watching over them. He will run through rain, through snow, through hail and through hell itself for them.

He is Wally West.

He is the fastest man alive.

He is The Flash.

Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since,
It's been a long, a long time coming,
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will.​

Two-Face sat in the car, shoulders hunched, staring with unblinking eyes at the restaurant across the road. Waiting inside was an army of low-level thugs, from a whole host of criminal networks. Their leaders had all been killed over the space of one night, and so they had been left in disarray. They were looking for guidance, leadership. And that's what Two-Face would provide. No more would warring gangs cause innocent blood to be spilled on the streets of Gotham. Two-Face would bring order, unity. He was going to make Gotham City safe again. Just like he'd promised.

Tiiiing-thap.
Tiiiing-thap.
Tiiiing-thap.

On the third flip, Two-Face caught his coin in his hand, and stepped out of the car. It was time to show them all who's boss.

It's been too hard living but I'm afraid to die,
Cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky,​

New York

The blonde haired man strolls down Time Square, his hands in his pockets as he looks around at the bill boards.

Things have changed so much since his days, now women are allowed to wear skimpy clothes in public, their underwear showing. "Music" is just dirty nursery rhymes with a few chords behind it. Movies are either about violence or sex nowdays.

Everyone is the country blames their problems on someone else, never taking full responsability for his actions like his generation did. They don't understand the value of a dollar, or what it means to roll up your sleeves and work.

While this isn't the America he died for once upon a time, it's still his country and Captain America will defend her.

The grinning face of the President-Elect flashes on the big screen. The blonde haired man smiles a little. At least some things in this country have changed for the better.

"So what was it like, Scott? Standing next to Superman!"

"It was... surreal, Bobby. I mean, it was just one of those things that just leaves you speechless. He even told me after everything was over that I had potential to be a great hero..."

"Awesome! Did you get his autograph?"

~Scott if you could join me in my office please? I wanted to discuss your performance on your first mission with you...~

Before Scott Summers could even respond to his enthusiastic best friend Bobby Drake's question, Xavier's message rung though his mind loud and clear. So without any explanation to his friend for leaving him, he walked away, heading towards the office of Professor Charles Xavier, back from his brief visit to Erik Lensherr.

Cyclops turned teh knob on the door, opening it slightly as he peered his head through to see the Professor filing through paperwork on his desk.

"You... wanted to see me, Professor?"

"Yes, Scott. I just wanted to inform you how impressed I was with your performance in Metropolis in defeating Magneto."

"Thank you, Proefessor. But it was mostly Superman--"

"Don't be modest, Scott. It was your quick thinking that helped to win the battle. Superman told me himself..."

"Really?"

"Yes. He told me he saw great potential in you, Mr. Summers. A fact that I had already known since I first met you, Scott. You have a brilliant mind, and your leadership skills are remarkable. You proved that when you led Mr. Drake, Ms. Rogue and Mr. Logan to defeat the Friends of Humanity. Which is why, as of now, YOU are to be the official X-Men field leader..."

"F-field leader?"

"Yes, Scott."

"But I thought Logan--"

"--Was your instructor. When I first saw you in that orphanage and invited you here, I always intended for you to lead the X-Men, Mr. Summers. And with Logan's training, along with the skills you showed in Metropolis and the Generation NeXt club, there is no doubt in my mind that you are officially ready."

Scott was taken aback by this news, even to the point of disbelief, but deep down, he truly believed in Xavier's dream of a world where humans and mutants could live together in peace and harmony, and that maybe the X-Men were the answer to achieving that goal. And if that was the case, the Scott wanted to be a part of it, and believed the Professor and Superman to be right: That Scott was destined to be a great hero, and this was his oppurtunity. His destiny...

"Okay, Professor. I'll do it. I'll lead the X-Men."

"Good. Now that we have that settled. I have another mission for you..."

I go to the movie and I go downtown,
Somebody keep telling me don't hang around,​

The young Peter Parker, known to the world as Spider-Man, has lived to see another sunrise. For this alone, he is content. Yet he knows not which dangers lurk around every corner. No man, not even the Webbed Wonder, can outrun his past. And the hour is quickly approaching where Peter must answer to his sins. He might only hope that when his day of reckoning comes, he is ready.

For the time being, another chapter of Peter's life is coming to a close. Soon, he will be a high school senior - one of the most trying times in any young adult's life. However, Peter's journey will be particularly pressing. He will face challenges from many sides, and his strength will be tested. Only through the support of his friends and family might Spider-Man hope to swing again. For in his mind and heart, he knows that with great power, there must come great responsibility.

Gotham

In his office, Commissioner Gordon sees the newspapers scattered about his desk. All the headlines read "Two-Face" and "Gang Wars Ignite"

He slumps his shoulders slightly, but a knock on the door grabs his attention. It's Captain Essen. There's been a dead child found in The Narrows, the fourth one this month. Like all the rest, the child was mutilated before being killed.

He nods and adjusts his glasses as he walks out of his office, he puts Two-Face in the back of his mind as duty calls.

Then I go to my brother,
And I say brother help me please,
But he winds up knockin' me,
Back down on my knees.​

Pietro glares at the door that confines him and once again slams his fists against it at superspeed. And once again the door doesn't budge, much less dent. It's the seventeenth times in the last hour. But that's what happens when your live an accelerated life.

And for the seventeenth time in the last hour, Pietro Maximoff sits back down on his cot in the prison and and curses his father, the League, the human race, and his own life. But most of all, he curses his 'benefactors'.

"How pathetic."

Pietro jumps at the voice that suddenly comes from the other side of his small cell.

"Savitar!" Pietro hisses. He leaps at the other speedster, but only succeeds in planting his fist against the wall.

"I gave you power. Showed you how to tap into the Speed Force. And you squander it in a useless mission with your father."

"You didn't teach me enough! If I knew everything, the Flash would not have stopped me. My father would have succeeded. We would have-"

"You would have done nothing! You're father doesn't matter. The rights of mutants do not matter."

"Howdareyou-!"

"HOW DARE YOU!!!" Pietro finds himself pinned against the wall. Savitar breathes angrily into his face, his forearm pressing into Pietro's throat.

"You know what we were trying to prevent. You were meant for great things. But you were not ready for the true power of the Speed Force. Not yet. But you couldn't temper your patience, could you? You had to let your father convince you what's best, instead of listening to the man that is living it."

Pietro's eyes are wide. "Li-living it?" He manages to squeak out. "Y-You mean..."

"Yes. The events have been set in motion, and your actions have removed our chance to stop it."
Savitar leans in closer.

"The Crisis is coming..."

There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long,
But now I think I'm able to carry on,
It's been a long, a long time coming,​

Thor stood in the centre of the elevator, towering over Amanda Waller and the Secret Service detail. Of course, he could have flown to his destination, and crashed through the window, if he had so chosen. Taking the elevator up, travelling with Waller on the plane, that was all a matter of courtesy. A prince of Asgard he may be, but Thor was a guest of Midgard. Showing respect to Midgard's leaders was, therefore, the honorable thing to do.

He was intrigued by this Waller woman's offer. A request to join an alliance of Midgard's bravest heroes. Furthermore, these Avengers had the patronage of none other than the President of the United States, one of the most respected of all this realm's leaders. Well, the man who was due to ascend to the title in the near future, at least. The man he had been brought here to meet, personally.

The elevator reached its destination, and the elevator emptied. Waller led Thor through a long hallway, the Secret Service men following them. She signalled for them to wait outside when they reached the grand oak door.

"This is his office," Amanda Waller said, "He wants to speak to you in private."

Thor nodded, and stepped into the office. And now it was just the two of them. Thor, looking decidedly out of place in this modern urban setting in his armor, winged helmet, and flowing red cape. And the man who in one month would be President, a man tailor-made for this world of the future. He stood by the window, looking out. Music was playing.

"Sam Cooke," he said, acknowledging Thor's presence for the first time, "Gotta love the oldies. Though it's all new to you, right?"

With a warm chuckle, the future President turned to face the god of thunder.

"Hello, Thor. I've heard much about you. A lot of good things."

Taking off his helmet, Thor nodded respectfully.

"Mr. President. It is an honor to meet you."

"I'm not the President just yet."

Still smiling, the man walked across the room, until he stood before Thor. His head was only the height of Thor's chest, but still he managed to exude an air of power. He shook Thor's hand.

"For now.... call me Lex."

TO BE CONTINUED... IN SEASON IV!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member