Opinions you have that OPPOSE your political affiliation

there are a lot of different ways to get information, and no one way or technique works for every terrorist in every situation. They have highly trained behavioral profilers to help them figure out the best way to get information, and it's best to leave all of the options on the table. Sometimes torturing is the only way. Other times there are other ways.

Not to mention the sleep deprivation breaks down mental barriers and they can eventually enter a highly suggestive trance like state.

I fear pain...at the first threat of torture, I would spout out the first untrue/outdated bull s**t that came into my head, and I'm sure most of these people would do the same thing, so not only would you possibly not get any information, you could get false information and waste precious man hours and resourced on a wild goose chase...torture just isnt worth the risk...it's much easier to just crack out the old sodium pentathol...

Most Independants like mself consider themselves to be moderates.

well there's alot of things I disagree with the democrats about, including things like political correctness, gun control is some cases, death penalty, etc.

I'm against an outright ban on firearms in the country. However, aside from inheriting that German machinegun your grandpa took from the dying hands of a Nazi bastard after he was shot, I can't think of a valid reason a private citizen should have a full automatic weapon.

I do support mandatory firearm training for any law-abiding citizen that wants to own a gun, as a requirement for obtaining a gun license. If we require a written test and road to obtain a driver's license to drive a 2 ton hunk of metal at 80 miles an hour down the freeway, it only makes sense to have the same in place for owning and operating a firearm.

the more we pay now the less we pay later. every year were adding 500 billion to our debt, and when the baby boomers retire that number will increaes dramatically. NOt to mention a big hunk of what we pay every year, doesn't even go to pay for government services. It pays off this years interest. The more we pay now, the less we pay later.

If we do not start managing our money, and pay a responsible amount of taxes and lower spending within a few decades we will become a third world country. And because of the web of ecnomic relations throughout the globe, the rest of the world will fall into poverty as well.

Wrong!!! The more we pay now, the MORE we'll pay later. The wonderful :whatever: people in government just use any "extra" taxes as an excuse to increase their salaries / retirement funds. (They've just voted themselves another 10% pay raise). Government needs to learn to be more responsible with the money we entrust to them. (Stop spending a fortune to count how many computers are in each government office across the country... It would actually have been cheaper to provide new computers to those offices)

hmmm. The Iraq War is costing tax payers half a trillion dollars and your complaining about a senator pay raise that probably cost less than a million?

I fear pain...at the first threat of torture, I would spout out the first untrue/outdated bull s**t that came into my head, and I'm sure most of these people would do the same thing, so not only would you possibly not get any information, you could get false information and waste precious man hours and resourced on a wild goose chase...torture just isnt worth the risk...it's much easier to just crack out the old sodium pentathol...

were not talking about sticking their testicles in a vice and smashing them. Were talking about prolonged standing, sleep deprevation, hunger and dehydration. Blinking lights that like hypnotize you and stuff. I don't doubt that some valuable information has ocasionally come from torture.

Remember the terrorist is capable of being afraid to lie.

ANY form of torture is un-American and unacceptable for any reason. ^

I would post the Ben Franklin quote but I'm sure you've seen it.

If torture is used to protect American lives - more power to Jack Bauer.

I hope you are aware that Jack Bauer is a fictional character.
the situations he is thrust upon are also quite fabricated.
also, those people you root for are not actually on an Island and NOBODY ****ing likes Raymond in real life.

ANY form of torture is un-American and unacceptable for any reason. ^

I would post the Ben Franklin quote but I'm sure you've seen it.
Exactly.

Tortue is un-American. America doesn't stoop down to that level for brief moments of security. Our nation integrity is more improtant. If we expect our POWs to be treated humanely we have to do the same to our enemies.

I hope you are aware that Jack Bauer is a fictional character.
the situations he is thrust upon are also quite fabricated.
also, those people you root for are not actually on an Island and NOBODY ****ing likes Raymond in real life.
Next you going to tell me that there really aren't people around the world with powers trying to save a cheerleader :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Tortue is un-American. America doesn't stoop down to that level for brief moments of security. Our nation integrity is more improtant. If we expect our POWs to be treated humanely we have to do the same to our enemies.

:whatever: In a perfect world we wouldn't need torture - however in a perfect world we wouldn't need CIA-type people in the ifrst place either.

America probably could be alot more secure if it simply executed anyone who opposed our foreign policy but then were no better than those who oppose us and we lose our MORAL AUTHORITY. This becomes extremely important when nation's decide who to support. Us or them.

If this nation is going to use torture, then it shouldn't ***** foot around with it.

Go balls out and take after the KGB or Spetnaz.

America probably could be alot more secure if it simply executed anyone who opposed our foreign policy but then were no better than those who oppose us and we lose our MORAL AUTHORITY. This becomes extremely important when nation's decide who to support. Us or them.

If a person is protected by the Geneva Convention and the regulations put in place that WE agreed to - then we shouldn't torture them. However in the case of terrorists and rogue extremist, that are not provided protection. Do what we must.

And then for your reading pleasure, this document. The interesting thing for this in today's world is what the CIA and adminsitration considers acceptable falls under the section in the document entitled "Communist Control Techniques"

If a person is protected by the Geneva Convention and the regulations put in place that WE agreed to - then we shouldn't torture them. However in the case of terrorists and rogue extremist, that are not provided protection. Do what we must.
If we're willing to stoop down to the level of war criminals and thugs what is our moral authority based on? You can only ride that "we stopped the holocaust" reason for so long until the world starts to question if we're always the good guys.

Moral authority doesn't come from being a rich, western country. It comes from having a better human rights record than China and Cuba. It comes from treating all people humanely even if it means fighting terrorism with one hand tied behind our back.

I'm sure we could've defeated Hitler quicker if we tortured every German POW but then some crucial nuetral countries might have went to the German side because they felt we were no better than the nazis. Losing our moral authority could cost far more lives and freedom than an isolated terrorist attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"