Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

I like Ewan enough to be excited for this. No idea what to expect.

I’m totally okay with a meeting/rematch.

In fact, their meeting in ANH seems way too tame and impersonal for their first reunion since ROTS, what with Obi-Wan merely calling him a master of evil, and no discussion on Anakin’s appearance, of which Obiwan is responsible. Even Obiwan calling him Darth seems strange in a way.

I imagine in these ten years, there will be a sense of guilt brewing in Obi-Wan and perhaps a lingering hope that he could bring Anakin back to the light, and that’s what their first meeting will be like, with Obi-Wan still referring to him as Anakin and still talking to him like his old friend.

Basically I think Obi-Wan will learn the hard way that even he can’t save Anakin (perhaps with Anakin murdering Obiwan’s new love interest..?), and will realize that he’s truly gone, truly evil, thus why he no longer calls him Anakin in ANH.

But given the dialogue in ANH I imagine Obi-Wan will be the victor (the master), claiming that Vader will forever be the learner.

I expect to see a scene between Obi-Wan and a defeated Vader, unmasked, with Obi-Wan no longer seeing Anakin in there, and finally referring to him as Darth/Vader, perhaps even blaming him for betraying and murdering Anakin, Obi-Wan’s way of coping with the guilt, by truly viewing him as a separate entity.

I think this will be largely correct. Honestly, I would not be surprised if the disparity between their meetings in 3 and 4 was part of the pitch for the show. Like Rogue One. It's very Disney.

I have a slight problem with this. Because it contradict Star Wars: Episode IV : A New Hope confrontation on the Death Star which seems to heavily imply that Vader hadn’t met his former master since their duel on Mustarfar .

futhermore if theirs a rematch Vader will still lose to Obi-Wan again because he doesn’t kill him
This is one of the problems of material set between films that have already come out. It is limited in what they can do with it as we already know who is alive or dead at a later point. But that doesn’t mean they can’t make it dramatic regardless.

I have a slight problem with this. Because it contradict Star Wars: Episode IV : A New Hope confrontation on the Death Star which seems to heavily imply that Vader hadn’t met his former master since their duel on Mustarfar .

futhermore if theirs a rematch Vader will still lose to Obi-Wan again because he doesn’t kill him

To be fair, the duel on the Death Star was contradicted when Anakin got an apprentice.

This will be worth it to me to see Vader in an equal lightsaber fight in live-action. Obviously in ANH the fight with Obi-Wan had to be limited. In ESB he clearly outmatched Luke, and was toying with him. In ROTJ he was, of course, conflicted and pretty much ready to die.

As hyped as I am about this show, I have to say that I really dislike the thought of Obi Wan and Vader fighting between RoS and ANH.
I hope they do something creative with it and it’s not just another fight.

Here's why I don't love the idea of them meeting. Yeah, you can find loopholes around it and make it not 'technically' break canon. But the line "A presence I have not felt since..."

To me that line has so much more resonance if in his head he finishes the sentence in his head... "The night Padme died and I became what I am." There's really no way you can just worm around it and not compromise the emotional resonance that currently carries. Also, it's just more epic if they haven't seen each other in a couple of decades, since the singular defining moment for both of them.

I kind of hope that they have them meet via dream sequence or something. It would undoubtedly be geek-out worthy to see Ewan confront Hayden in the suit as Vader, but it's a very tricky thing to do without kind of crapping on canon.

That said, I'm super excited for this show and please take all of my money.

From an overall canonical perspective, my biggest objection would be that Darth Vader as Darth Vader getting beaten by Obi-Wan and being the "learner" undercuts his threatening presence. However, like I said before, I'm not that concerned about how it applies to the original trilogy. I think this was always more likely to be a good sequel to the prequel films than a good prequel to the original trilogy. It stars Obi-Wan who was more of a presence in the prequels, played by the actor from those movies (along with the Anakin actor, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's others).

For me at least, it's too late to worry about how the entire canon ties together because of choices made in the follow-up films.

It's not surprising to me that Vader would be in this and he and Kenobi would have a rematch, but it's not something I wanted. I wanted this show to be a slow, quiet meditation of a man's spiritual growth while in exile in the desert. A man coming to terms with his own past failures and in his isolation communing with the force and the dead (Qui-Gon) while finding a new purpose in the young boy Luke. Based on the synopsis this will be a much more traditional space adventure. Again, that's not surprising, and hopefully some elements of what I described will remain, but I would've preferred something less typical for Star Wars with this.

They could also be setting us up for a subversion of expectations with the "rematch" comment. Maybe it's not a saber duel, but somehow they end up in situation where they have an intimate conversation and swap philosophies. Ala Heat/Dark Knight. That would be more interesting to me honestly.

There are a number of ways this could go, so I'll reserve judgment until I've seen the final product.

They could also be setting us up for a subversion of expectations with the "rematch" comment. Maybe it's not a sabre duel, but somehow they end up in situation where they have an intimate conversation and swap philosophies. Ala Heat/Dark Knight. That would be more interesting to me honestly.

There are a number of ways this could go, so I'll reserve judgment until I've seen the final product.

Agreed. If nothing else, Kenobi does have to learn that Vader is Anakin. That's the missing piece and IMO probably the only story justification for them interacting again here.

Agreed. If nothing else, Kenobi does have to learn that Vader is Anakin. That's the missing piece and IMO probably the only story justification for them interacting again here.

True. Obi-Wan does assume Anakin is dead, just like Anakin assumes his child died with Padme. There is a little spark of hope that both are still unaware of. Potential there for some dramatic irony.

I just don't need to see the Vader of Rogue One vs. Obi-Wan and another twirly-twirly duel. There's no way you're going to top Mustafar as a setting or have an outcome as important, so why bother try to replicate that?

This definitely sounds like it's going to be as close to the dream "Episode 3.5" as we'll ever get though. There's potential for something really cool, just hope it's handled with respect and care.

Last edited:
I echo those sentiments. Didn't think Disney would 'go there' and have Kenobi and Vader face-off, though in hindsight of course they would. There's a chance this could be cool, but honestly I was content with something smaller.

Oddly, the continuity problem that irks me most in all of this is the 'Obi-Wan' name being thrown around everywhere. He should be Ben Kenobi by now.

I'm pretty excited to see what Deborah Chow does with this series in terms of elevating the material. I really enjoy ROTS, but the writing was definitely not the best and I feel like there's some real with this series when it comes to the dramatic stakes if Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen rise to the occasion, especially Hayden who I have seen give really solid performances in other movies.

Star Wars' Temuera Morrison May Appear In Another Disney+ Show After The Mandalorian, But Not As Boba Fett

According to a recent rumor, Temuera Morrison has been tapped to make at least one appearance in Disney+'s upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series, which will feature Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen's respective returns as Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker. Now, before fans start automatically assuming this rumor means that Morrison would once again be playing his original role of Jango Fett, know that isn't exactly the case either. According to Kessel Run Transmissions, the actor would actually be reprising his Episode III – Revenge of the Sith role of the clone marshal commander named Cody. (Or CC-2224 if we're being technical.)

While Temuera Morrison's character didn't have the most enormous role within Revenge of the Sith, his story expanded through his return to the Star Wars universe via The Clone Wars TV show, where he was voiced by Dee Bradley Baker. (André Sogliuzzo voiced the warrior in the original Clone Wars animated series.) It would certainly make enough sense for Commander Cody to be around for Obi-Wan Kenobi, considering the character's ties to the titular Jedi. Not to mention Morrison having enjoyed a successful return as Boba Fett in Season of The Mandalorian. I'm sure some fans would like to see him taking on all the soldiers cloned from Jango Fett.

To be sure, this rumor should be taken with a grain of salt, as just about all Star Warsnews should be when it comes from somewhere that isn't Disney or Lucasfilm. That said, Kessel Run previously broke the news about the standalone Lando series that Kathleen Kennedy announced during Disney's massive Investor Day presentation last week. As well, they reported on a Cara Dune-led spinoff that some have speculated is the Rangers of the New Republic project that was announced.

I think Chow will give this universe and the canon the respect it needs, her episodes in Season 1 of Mando did this and you could tell from them she respects SW and what to stands for.

Plus if this is 10 years after ROTS, that means it's another 20 years until Vader and Obi-Wan meet in ANH, which can still tie everything together and shows they haven't met for a long time until that Death Star encounter.

In regards to the name thing, this show and the meeting with Vader could be the whole reason Obi-Wan starts calling himself Ben instead, to throw Vader off the scent.

Plus if this is 10 years after ROTS, that means it's another 20 years until Vader and Obi-Wan meet in ANH, which can still tie everything together and shows they haven't met for a long time until that Death Star encounter.
ANH is 19 years after Sith, not 30.

I'm gonna picture Luke as 30 in IV from now on.

See More by UdonCrew

dqvviy-553941bb-4639-41e9-8a87-b1ef789c5228.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"