Paul Dini on Gotham City Sirens and Streets of Gotham

margon

margelle
Reaction score
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090227-dc-nation-wondercon09.htmlSirens is still sounding really cool and Streets, rather than being a dedicated Huntress Manhunter book, is actually looking to become a 'man on the street' type look at Batman. With Nguyen on board. Good news for all the babies that complain Morrison is a Silver Age recycling hack and "screw all that complex *****" and flock to Dini for their user friendly one shots to keep them warm at night :oldrazz:

I think Sirens is gonna be the best comic ever conceived by man
This is not Gotham Girls or a humor book, Dini said, adding that this will be a new take on the characters in a way that readers haven’t seen before. “Yeah it’s Harley, but it’s playing by different rules now,” Dini said.
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090227-dc-nation-wondercon09.html

So what do we know of the new line-up:
Detective - Rucka and JH Williams on Batwoman! featuring the cast of Gotham Central.
Batman & Robin - Grand Magician with Frank Quietly, Doug Manke and Phillip Tan rumoured to be rotating on art. Nightwing & Damian, Stone Age Batman?
Gotham City Sirens - Paul Dini on Catwoman, Ivy and Harley, artists unknown
Streets of Gotham - Paul Dini on Gotham City, Dustin Ngyen playing with crayons
Red Robin - probably Fabian Nicieza, probably Tim Drake but hopefully Jason gets a role too. Hopefully a new costume. Artist unknown.
Batgirl - weird wtf comments from Didio indicate Babs might up and walking in the batsuit again. Writer and artist unknown.
Outsiders - who....cares...

which leaves us with 'Batman', still being all mysterious and annoying. What the main title will be about, and who's on it, remains to be seen. Something tells me it's not gonna be a second Morrison title, even though it probably should be. Roll on June, exciting stuff. Batman comics have been great since 2006 and looks like there's no sign of things getting stale just yet.

Judd Winnick is the new 'Batman' writer :word:

Curiously arousing

I can't wait until Jason becomes Batman and everybody cries

The "Man On The Street" Batman stuff is always a lot of fun.

Anyone ever read Gotham Nights? (not to be confused with Gotham Knights)

^ Is it a series or an arc or what? any good?

^ Is it a series or an arc or what? any good?

It was a limited series. It dealt with three or four different people who lived in Gotham and how their lives were inadvertently effected by Batman...in fact, Batman was more of a background character in it....

I thought it was riveting.

b6_1.jpg

What has Judd Winnick written thats so bad? Never heard of him. :/

its been my experience with winnick that he starts of really strong with impressive story arcs, ones that are probably all planned out before the first issue even hits. but while executing those story arcs, forgets that more story arcs needs to come after....thats when everything goes down hill.

It was a limited series. It dealt with three or four different people who lived in Gotham and how their lives were inadvertently effected by Batman...in fact, Batman was more of a background character in it....

b6_1.jpg

I think I recall that. It was very good. I loved Shadow of the Bat in the 90s for the same reasons.

Detective- I'm in.
Batman- Depending on the plot, I might give it a shot.
Batman and Robin- Definately in.
Gotham City Sirens- Yes.
Streets of Gotham- Also yes. Cant resist Dini writing a Bat-book.
Batgirl- Dont care.
Red Robin- Maybe.
The Outsiders- Really dont care.

Guilliem March is gonna be the artist on Sirens. I actually predicted that, wasn't hard after you've seen his Oracle covers and he also did the Poison Ivy Joker's Asylum issue, which was dumb in itself but I definitely took notice of his Ivy and I guess the editors did too. He's not the most amazing interpreter but he draws clean and sexy bombshells which I guess is the safer option on this title.

Is this gonna be like Dinis' last few issues of Detective crossed with Harley & Ivy?

So far I know I'm buying
Batman & Robin - ALL
Sirens - ALL
Detective - ALL
Batman - probably all
Streets - I have a feeling I'll drop out
The rest I'll sample and decide. Odds really aren't good though

b6_1.jpg

If our stores had decent back issue collections where I live then this would be something I'd be looking for :csad:

Last edited:
I will be copping these for sure

Detective
Batman
Batman and Robin
Gotham City Sirens
Streets of Gotham

Batgirl I'm on the fence about cause Beechen seriously put me off that series for good apparently. I mean at this point Cassie who at one time was my fave is possibly the most buchered character in the bat family. If it has a decent writer though I'd give it a look. I have no interest in Red Robin if Chuck Dixon isn't writing a solo Tim series I just don't care. I read DC for more than just Batman unlike many of you so The Outsiders is something I read on the regular anyway and that won't change.

While I'm sure Sirens and Streets of Gotham will be good, Dini would've been better as the new Batman writer instead of Winick.

Streets of Gotham is pretty much the new Gotham Central, and with Dini behind, that makes it required reading.

>We're talking three-issue arcs, four-issue arcs where it's Batman whooping it up, kicking ass, getting his ass kicked and coming back and kicking some more ass. This is a superhero book and it's one of the things that I enjoy. I mean, I do enjoy Batman as a masked detective but I myself enjoy Batman beating the living hell out of people in various ways, shapes and forms... This is a "Batman" title. And I don't think it will have any of the social commentary, which I've done maybe five or six times out of 10 years I've written comics. Which apparently, everybody thinks I do in every single issue or something... There's going to be nothing viewed as an after school special in this run of "Batman." There's lots of touchy-feely **** along with the beating up of bad guys. And explosions and dangling from sides of buildings and what not because I like writing humanistic characters but all that crap that everyone usually whines about that I do, I obviously won't be that doing here.

This is from Jude Winnick, source was 4chan with no link to source tho. :(

Dini would've been better as the new Batman writer instead of Winick.

I'm not too sure I mean I have disliked a lot of Winnick's writing and overall do enjoy Dini however going by that description Drz posted Winnick's Batman is clearly Jason Todd. So since that is the case being that he's the guy who brought him back in the first place since he was such a fan I think it's appropriate.

Sirens is still sounding really cool and Streets, rather than being a dedicated Huntress Manhunter book, is actually looking to become a 'man on the street' type look at Batman. With Nguyen on board. Good news for all the babies that complain Morrison is a Silver Age recycling hack and "screw all that complex *****" and flock to Dini for their user friendly one shots to keep them warm at night :oldrazz:

I think Sirens is gonna be the best comic ever conceived by man

So what do we know of the new line-up:
Detective - Rucka and JH Williams on Batwoman! featuring the cast of Gotham Central.
Batman & Robin - Grand Magician with Frank Quietly, Doug Manke and Phillip Tan rumoured to be rotating on art. Nightwing & Damian, Stone Age Batman?
Gotham City Sirens - Paul Dini on Catwoman, Ivy and Harley, artists unknown
Streets of Gotham - Paul Dini on Gotham City, Dustin Ngyen playing with crayons
Red Robin - probably Fabian Nicieza, probably Tim Drake but hopefully Jason gets a role too. Hopefully a new costume. Artist unknown.
Batgirl - weird wtf comments from Didio indicate Babs might up and walking in the batsuit again. Writer and artist unknown.
Outsiders - who....cares...

which leaves us with 'Batman', still being all mysterious and annoying. What the main title will be about, and who's on it, remains to be seen. Something tells me it's not gonna be a second Morrison title, even though it probably should be. Roll on June, exciting stuff. Batman comics have been great since 2006 and looks like there's no sign of things getting stale just yet.

Ok, i'm a little confused with all this.....bear with me.

I have a few questions.

(okay, a LOT):huh:

1.) Has 'Batman:Classified" been cancelled, soon to be cancelled, or still in the mix??

2.) You've mentioned "Outsiders". Has "Batman and the Outsiders" been cancelled, and been replaced with a new title, "Outsiders"? Or are "Batman and the Outsiders" and "Outsiders" two seprate titles???

3.) Is "All Star Batman and Robin" still in the mix. Is that what you meant by "Batman and Robin", or are theese also two separate titles?

4.) Is "Superman/Batman" still being published?

5.) IS "Gotham after Midnight" by Steve Niles an ongoing series, or just a long miniseries? I never did hear confirmation on that one 8 months ago...

6.) The "Simon Dark" spinoff - has that been cancelled, or is that still going on? That's an ongoing series, correct?

I was also confused by the comments following "Detective". From what i think i understand is, that it's no longer a BatMAN book now, but instead will basically be the NEW BatWOMAN series? IS this right?
Cause, if it is, that's just stupid right there! Detective has been Batman for seventy years. If they wanted so badly to do a Batwoman ongoing, they should have just called it "Batwoman" and kept "Detective" as a Batman book.

Anyway, from my understanding, this will be the total list of Batman ongoing monthlies within the next two months. Please correct me if i'm mistaken.

1.) Batman- by Juddy Winnick

2.) Dective- by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams (but it's basically "Batwoman")

3.) Batman Classified- various creative teams

4.) Batman and the Outsiders (or just Outsiders)

5.) All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder- by Frank Miller/Jim Lee

6.) Superman/Batman

7.) Simon Dark (if its not cancelled)

8.) Azrael

9.) Batman and Robin - by Grant Morrison

10.) Gotham City Sirens- by Paul Dini

11.) Streets of Gotham- by Paul Dini

12.) Red Robin

13.) Batgirl

and finally,

14.) Gotham after Midnight-by Steve Niles (if it's an ongoing series)

not to mention, "Justice League", which Batman also appears in.

Do i have all this right?

Sorry, i've been out of the loop for several months, and i found the post of yours up top to be very interesting.....any futher info would be great.

1.) Has 'Batman:Classified" been cancelled, soon to be cancelled, or still in the mix??

No it hasn't been cancelled and isn't slated to be cancelled any time soon. It's the new LotDK in that the stories don't run concurrently with the timeline of regular continuity even if they are canon. Because of this it's the only book on the line that will still feature Bruce Wayne as Batman so all the whiners who say when Bruce comes back they'll start reading again here's a book for you.

2.) You've mentioned "Outsiders". Has "Batman and the Outsiders" been cancelled, and been replaced with a new title, "Outsiders"? Or are "Batman and the Outsiders" and "Outsiders" two seprate titles???

It's the same book with some team members gone and some new members around also Bruce left orders for Alfred to lead them in the event of his demise. So Alfred is the new captain strategist on that book. If you'd like to catch up on recent events track down Batman & The Outsiders Special, Outsiders #15 and #16 I reccomended as the book has been very well written by former bat books editor Peter Tomasi.

3.) Is "All Star Batman and Robin" still in the mix. Is that what you meant by "Batman and Robin", or are theese also two separate titles?

All Star Batman is on hiatus but it has absolutely nothing to do with the regular books. It's the early years of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns universe. Batman & Robin is the continuation of Grant Morrison's Batman run. This is taking the place of BATMAN as the flagship title leading to it being the second main book like 'tec was.

4.) Is "Superman/Batman" still being published?

Yes [See: Batman Confidential answer above]

5.) IS "Gotham after Midnight" by Steve Niles an ongoing series, or just a long miniseries? I never did hear confirmation on that one 8 months ago...

It's a maxi series (12 issue story) and it's about to wrap up soon.

6.) The "Simon Dark" spinoff - has that been cancelled, or is that still going on? That's an ongoing series, correct?

I still see it on shelves and never heard of it being cancelled anytime soon.

I was also confused by the comments following "Detective". From what i think i understand is, that it's no longer a BatMAN book now, but instead will basically be the NEW BatWOMAN series? IS this right?
Cause, if it is, that's just stupid right there! Detective has been Batman for seventy years. If they wanted so badly to do a Batwoman ongoing, they should have just called it "Batwoman" and kept "Detective" as a Batman book.

It has to do with a few things

Batman will still be heavily featured in two of his books as usual (Batman & Robin & BATMAN) so I don't get the gripe. What happened was that Greg Rucka created this new Batwoman back in 52 and we still haven't really seen her fleshed out so this provides an avenue to do that in without having to risk it by creating an all new title. Think of it as the testing grounds for a potential Batwoman ongoing until Brucecomes back.

Anyway, from my understanding, this will be the total list of Batman ongoing monthlies within the next two months. Please correct me if i'm mistaken.

1.) Batman- by Juddy Winnick

2.) Dective- by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams (but it's basically "Batwoman")

3.) Batman Classified- various creative teams

4.) Batman and the Outsiders (or just Outsiders)

5.) All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder- by Frank Miller/Jim Lee

6.) Superman/Batman

7.) Simon Dark (if its not cancelled)

8.) Azrael

9.) Batman and Robin - by Grant Morrison

10.) Gotham City Sirens- by Paul Dini

11.) Streets of Gotham- by Paul Dini

12.) Red Robin

13.) Batgirl

and finally,

14.) Gotham after Midnight-by Steve Niles (if it's an ongoing series)

not to mention, "Justice League", which Batman also appears in.

Do i have all this right?

Sorry, i've been out of the loop for several months, and i found the post of yours up top to be very interesting.....any futher info would be great.

Yeah pretty much though as I said before the Steve Niles book is just a maxi and Azrael is a mini series going on right now. I don't read Justice League so I wouldn't know what to tell you about that I do know that book runs in line with the rest of the main DCU so we won't see Bruce in it but it's possible the next Batman would be a member I suppose.

No it hasn't been cancelled and isn't slated to be cancelled any time soon. It's the new LotDK in that the stories don't run concurrently with the timeline of regular continuity even if they are canon. Because of this it's the only book on the line that will still feature Bruce Wayne as Batman so all the whiners who say when Bruce comes back they'll start reading again here's a book for you.

Good! Yes, i know it's basically like the old LOTDK, i just wasnt sure if the book was continuing in light of all the ramifications of the new Batman, new ongoings, ect. Since it's Bruce Wayne as Batman in classic adventures, i wasnt sure if it was being axed or not. I'm glad it's not. Not ever arc is good, but some have been great.

As for "all the whiners' let me just say that i'm nt one of them. I'm highly amused by all that i've heard, and after reading your first post, i did additional research on my own, at dccomics.com and cbr.com. I just wanted clarification on theese items of interest. As i said, i've been away from the Batman books for awhile (a little before resurrection of Ras storyline), so i have a LOT to catch up with. Which i'll be doing very soon.

Again, as far all theese changes, i'm all for 'em. Fanboys get WAY too riled up , especially when thought-provoking and interesting stories and changes come. I'm not this way. and obviously, Wayne will return at some point, and , yes, as Batman.

It's the same book with some team members gone and some new members around also Bruce left orders for Alfred to lead them in the event of his demise. So Alfred is the new captain strategist on that book. If you'd like to catch up on recent events track down Batman & The Outsiders Special, Outsiders #15 and #16 I reccomended as the book has been very well written by former bat books editor Peter Tomasi.

O.k. Cool. I dig. "gave afred directions in case of his demise". That's so fricking awesome. I just caught the june issue preview cover, w/ alfred on the chair-it reminded me of "Star Trek" for some reason. I'll definitely be tuning in for this. Alfred in a more prominent role seems VERY cool.

All Star Batman is on hiatus but it has absolutely nothing to do with the regular books. It's the early years of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns universe. Batman & Robin is the continuation of Grant Morrison's Batman run. This is taking the place of BATMAN as the flagship title leading to it being the second main book like 'tec was.

Again, i just wanted clarification about ASBAR's status-i do know it's in it's own little world. It's the one book i've still caught up with in recent times (have all but one issue-#5). I always got irritated when fans complained about the rep of Batman in this series, just because of the Miller's tone and innuendo. When Batman slapped young Grayson in the face, and gave the whole damn Batman line, i laughed my ass off. To me, it just seemed realistical that a man as driven and intense as Wayne, still early in his career would act this way.

And look at the fanboys now-they hated Millers ASBAR, so theese new changes to the Batman line must be driving them crazy! I LOVE IT!!

The only problem with AS B is the absoultely wretched time/issue delatys. AS much as i've enjoyed, the series, the really need to replace with a new creative team and get this title a monthly schedule. My choice would be Geoff Johns and Neal Adams.

It's a maxi series (12 issue story) and it's about to wrap up soon.

A shame. I was hoping it'd be a monthly. I dig Jones art (he's not great, but i like it), and having Niles on a Batman series was cool. Any idea how sales for "Midnight" were? Hopefully, DC can get theese two on a monthly Batman....

I still see it on shelves and never heard of it being cancelled anytime soon.

Hmmm...something iffy is going on with this title. I just checked the DC Comics site, and it's last solicitation is for this month, March. It's missing from the months of April, May, and June. BUT , the thing is, when a series is cancelled, DC usually writes a last issue notation for the solicitation, and there is none for the March issue of Simon Dark...(issue 18)...

So , either Niles and Hampton are taking some time off, or something.
I hope the series continues, i thought the Dark character was interesting.

Any idea how sales have been on the title?

It has to do with a few things

Batman will still be heavily featured in two of his books as usual (Batman & Robin & BATMAN) so I don't get the gripe. What happened was that Greg Rucka created this new Batwoman back in 52 and we still haven't really seen her fleshed out so this provides an avenue to do that in without having to risk it by creating an all new title. Think of it as the testing grounds for a potential Batwoman ongoing until Brucecomes back.

Ok, yeah, i see your point. If "Detective" does well durring Batwoman's tenure, then when Bruce Wayne innevitably returns as Bats, he'll take back the spotlight in "Tec", and a spinoff "Batwoman" series will resume her stories.

Got'cha. Not a bad idea.

Yeah pretty much though as I said before the Steve Niles book is just a maxi and Azrael is a mini series going on right now. I don't read Justice League so I wouldn't know what to tell you about that I do know that book runs in line with the rest of the main DCU so we won't see Bruce in it but it's possible the next Batman would be a member I suppose.

Azrael is a miniseries. Allright. I was mistaken, then. Maybe DC will make it an ongoing if the mini does well.

As for "Batgirl", has DC Comics anywhere OFFICIALLY stated that it will in fact be an ongoing, because a noticed a Batgirl one shot is slated for June, but i havent seen anywhere where an ongoing is officially stated?

I got a few more questions too?

Do you remember sometime in 2007, when DC Comics announced an "All Star: Batgirl" ongoing series , with creative team of Geoff Johns and J.G. Jones. It was supposed to be in the same time frame as All Star Batman and Robin, but not neccesarily share continuity w/ that title. It was to Be the classic years of Barbra Gordon as Batgirl. Comic Book resources had a whole interview with Geoff Johns about it, and he confirmed it. It was supposed to debut sometime in 2008.
Anyway, have you heard anything on this?

I also recently heard something a bout a Huntress/ManHunter ongoing series, and a new contemporary Barbra Gordon series, either "Oracle" or a "Birds of Prey" reboot? Who knows, maybe she's the new Batgirl....

AS for the confirmed new series:

"Batman and Robin"-HOT.

"Gotham City Sirens"- Paul Dini writing, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and beautiful artwork by Guillem March-HOT.

"Streets of Gotham"- seems cool

"Red Robin"- looks interesting. Dick Grayson in the "kingdom Come" red robin identity searching for the MIA Wayne.

As for the new template/storyline, i think it's obvious Jason Todd is the new Batman, Damian is Robin, and Dick Grayson is Red Robin.......the only question then, is where's Tim Drake in all THIS?

I'm wondering if he'll get his own rebooted series, w/ a different name??

I also alway thought a Baman villians book, something called "Rogues" would be cool.

they have a villain book and its called Gotham Underground and its not that good.

well i am pretty sure if it was well received they would have expanded upon it

Fanboys get WAY too riled up , especially when thought-provoking and interesting stories and changes come.

This is quite the understatement lol, agreed.

When Batman slapped young Grayson in the face, and gave the whole damn Batman line, i laughed my ass off. To me, it just seemed realistical that a man as driven and intense as Wayne, still early in his career would act this way.

What made it even better was when Batman realized that treating the kid that way may not have been the smartest thing. Added some interesting precedent to why Grayson took the path of villainy in this universe as he grew. It's a shame this series is so damn inconsistent in terms of a schedule the potential for a solid arc was there but the pacing is horrendous when you're reading it twice every year at most.

A shame. I was hoping it'd be a monthly. I dig Jones art (he's not great, but i like it), and having Niles on a Batman series was cool. Any idea how sales for "Midnight" were? Hopefully, DC can get theese two on a monthly Batman....

I grew up during the Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle, Doug Moench/Kelley Jones era so I've always appreciated Jones' unique take on the Batman. It's so distinctive it's become quite iconic in it's own right. I wouldn't mind seeing him back on a Bat monthly as artists but I'm sure others wouldn't agree.

Any idea how sales have been on the title?

Not sure, I reccomend googling the diamond sales charts.

As for "Batgirl", has DC Comics anywhere OFFICIALLY stated that it will in fact be an ongoing, because a noticed a Batgirl one shot is slated for June, but i havent seen anywhere where an ongoing is officially stated?

The new books listed in this thread are supposed to be brand new monthly's. I suppose a Batgirl one shot would be used to bridge Oracle: The Cure (since it's evident Babs will play a role in the batgirl book if not the main one itself) and the new volume of Batgirl.

Do you remember sometime in 2007, when DC Comics announced an "All Star: Batgirl" ongoing series , with creative team of Geoff Johns and J.G. Jones. It was supposed to be in the same time frame as All Star Batman and Robin, but not neccesarily share continuity w/ that title. It was to Be the classic years of Barbra Gordon as Batgirl. Comic Book resources had a whole interview with Geoff Johns about it, and he confirmed it. It was supposed to debut sometime in 2008.
Anyway, have you heard anything on this?

I had forgotten about that but you're right I remember the talks of that I guess things just fell through since Johns' has never mentioned the project again and will be occupied with Blackest Night and Superman: Secret Origin this year.

I also recently heard something a bout a Huntress/ManHunter ongoing series, and a new contemporary Barbra Gordon series, either "Oracle" or a "Birds of Prey" reboot? Who knows, maybe she's the new Batgirl....

I believe it's not really a book just for them but that they'll be members of an ensemble. It's supposed to be one of the new bat family books not sure if it's Sirens or Streets though but it's going to be good to see Kate Spencer on the regular again since her book got canned.

As for the new template/storyline, i think it's obvious Jason Todd is the new Batman, Damian is Robin, and Dick Grayson is Red Robin.......the only question then, is where's Tim Drake in all THIS?

Actually it seems like Dick will be Batman and Tim will graduate to Red Robin since he's no longer Robin. He's already donned the guise once in his book and Red Robin is the one that is rumored to go on a quest for Bruce Wayne as he doesn't believe Batman's death is what it seems and that fits Tim not Dick.

As for a Batman villain book there is a monthly series that is only one arc old so far by Gail Simone (of BOP fame) called Secret Six that features 3 bat rogues as principal players (Catman, Deadshot & Bane). That's probably as close as you could get to it as it also features other rogues as well like Mad Hatter in the first arc. It's one of the best written and most acclaimed books on the market right now actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"