Paul Dini on Gotham City Sirens and Streets of Gotham

This is quite the understatement lol, agreed.

Oh, i know. I'm just trying to be polite.

The anal fanboys do irritate me though. It's clear to me that most would rather still have juvenile arguments over "who wins, Hulk or Thor" than to see theese characters progress and be rejuvenated in the progress.

What made it even better was when Batman realized that treating the kid that way may not have been the smartest thing. Added some interesting precedent to why Grayson took the path of villainy in this universe as he grew. It's a shame this series is so damn inconsistent in terms of a schedule the potential for a solid arc was there but the pacing is horrendous when you're reading it twice every year at most.

Oh yeah! Most fans get ASBAR ALL wrong. They stop and focus on the irregular and shifty moments, failing to reallize how strong the subtext and resonance of the characters and story truly are.

I've been a fan of the series since day one. But, sadly, that seems to be both of our manin complaints for this series, b/c day one was 4 YEARS AGO, and still only ten issues have come out?? That's like 2.5 a year!?:cmad:

To top it off, at the recent Didio Q/A, he said the Miller and Lee are currently working on more issues, and the series will restart this year in the fall-that they'll be ten more issues, and then the series will end. WTF? This series is consistently a top 3 selling book on the charts! Would it kill DC to creatively change to , let's say, Neil Gaiman and Neal Adams when Miller and Lee are done??
Ther're just giving up on the whole ALL STAR line, then? Makes NO sense!

I grew up during the Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle, Doug Moench/Kelley Jones era so I've always appreciated Jones' unique take on the Batman. It's so distinctive it's become quite iconic in it's own right. I wouldn't mind seeing him back on a Bat monthly as artists but I'm sure others wouldn't agree.

Hey, same here, man! I started reading the the batbooks in 91/92, when i was about 11/12 years old. I remember Moench on Batman, Dixon and Nolan on Detective. Then they got Jones on Batman doing "KnighFall" covers, and in the mid-nineties, he was the reg. artist. Then there was Grant on "Shadow..." and Breyfogle as artist, but if i'm not mistaken, he only stated on for about a year.

Breyfogle and Jones are my two favorite artists from that period. I know a lot of other fans here favor Norm, But Kelly Jones always get's hate-i never understood why. Probably b/c the fans never quite got his approach-he was being more metaphorically poetic in his style, really, and i really dug that approach, esp. for Bats.

The new books listed in this thread are supposed to be brand new monthly's. I suppose a Batgirl one shot would be used to bridge Oracle: The Cure (since it's evident Babs will play a role in the batgirl book if not the main one itself) and the new volume of Batgirl.

My bad. The "Batgirl" oneshot i mentioned in the last post that comes out this june is actually a trade paperback, collecting the last miniseries with the Cassandra Cain Batgirl.

Still havent found where a new "Batgirl" monthly has been confirmed. To be honest, i'm middle of the road on this anyway. I didnt like it too much when Winnick resurrected Todd, and i dont like the idea of Barbara miraculously walking again. Those are the ONE changes i dont like-when characters who never had superpowers get killed, and then later get brought back. There has to be some reality in theese books.

If there is a new "Batgirl" series, i think it'll be someone new. Either someone related to Kathy Kane/Batwoman, or maybe even the Spoiler. (another case of resurrection:whatever:)

I had forgotten about that but you're right I remember the talks of that I guess things just fell through since Johns' has never mentioned the project again and will be occupied with Blackest Night and Superman: Secret Origin this year.

See, that's where DC failed up-that was the opportunity to do a classic Barbara Gordon/Batgirl series, and with Johns and Jones as the creative team, it could have totally clicked.

I believe it's not really a book just for them but that they'll be members of an ensemble. It's supposed to be one of the new bat family books not sure if it's Sirens or Streets though but it's going to be good to see Kate Spencer on the regular again since her book got canned.

Just checked dccomics.com again, and it looks like it's just a one shot:

The Network, which features Huntress, Manhunter, Spoiler, Batgirl (Cassandra) and Ragman.

There's quite a few more specials comming out theese next few months parallel to "Battle for the Cowl" in cluding Oracle, Azrael, Gotham Gazette, ct. Something tells me DC is using theese to pitch possible new series, depending on sales of the oneshots and miniseries.

Since i dont think Barbara is the new Batgirl, but i do think she'll get her own monthly, either still as Oracle or something else, and this "Oracle:The Cure" is a bridge to that.

Actually it seems like Dick will be Batman and Tim will graduate to Red Robin since he's no longer Robin. He's already donned the guise once in his book and Red Robin is the one that is rumored to go on a quest for Bruce Wayne as he doesn't believe Batman's death is what it seems and that fits Tim not Dick.

This definitely is the popular opinion out there, but i'm just not buying it. I think a lot of red-herrings have been thrown out there.

I'll reference Winnicks run on "Batman" a few years back-when Wayne and Todd had their fight, Todd said he was going to become the Batman Wayne should have become.

Dick has never shown interest in replacing Bruce, and is always the one to think Wayne is innocent , right, can never be defeated, plus Dick Being Red Robin ties in w/ "Kingdom Come", and dc has mentioned interest in them making more parallels to this story.

However, just recently, i started thinking it might even be more complex than that.

I'm now almost certain that in the new books, there are TWO Batmen:wow:

Jason Todd is going to be the Batman IN "Batman" and "Streets of Gotham", and Dick is indeed the Batman in Morrison's "Batman and Robin" with Damion. But here's the startler-i think Dick is also "Red Robin". So , on one end, you have Grayson taking Wayne's place with Damion in two, but also off as Red Robin, searching for bruce.
....however, that could be complicated, continuity-wise, i know. I'm just not buying that Drake is "Red Robin". I think That Nightwing back when grayson first became that, was always meant by DC to be the next big gun, superhero wise, to be in the same league as Batman, Superman, Flash, ect.-and let's face it, that never happened. Despite all of the Nightwing, dick being a solo hero thing, it always came back to his relationship with bruce. Even when the "Nightwing" series started in the mid-90's, so many times it regressed to Dick trying to separate himself from his mentor. That's why i never really got into the Nightwing monthly, ever, b/c i couldnt help buy always think, "Sheesh, shouldnt he be his own man by now!"

So, personally, i think the "Nightwing" alter ego is dead, and that it isnt comming back. With Wayne presumably dead, but Grayson unable to accept that, he's regressed back into his Robin identity as "Red Robin".

As for Tim Drake, i think DC is trying to do what they did w/ Grayson becomming Nightwing in the early eighties. Drake is now about 18, and he's basically moving on into something else.

I think most fans have already accepted that Damion is the new Robin, and that even after Bruce Wayne returns as Batman, Damion will still be Robin. And i agree w/ it-it feels right. Biological father and son as B and R, Damion is younger , about 12, so it's returning to that classic feel of a really young Robin, but w/ Damion's "League" training making him very capable, more so than Robin's past. Plus he has the darker side, which may be muted somewhat years from now.

As for Jason Being Batman, i also read somewhere that in the new Books, Batman is more a villian than a hero, as Wayne was. (shades of "Knighfall", i know) still, i'm interested. And that fits more with Todd, than with Grayson.

As for a Batman villain book there is a monthly series that is only one arc old so far by Gail Simone (of BOP fame) called Secret Six that features 3 bat rogues as principal players (Catman, Deadshot & Bane). That's probably as close as you could get to it as it also features other rogues as well like Mad Hatter in the first arc. It's one of the best written and most acclaimed books on the market right now actually.

Must confess that i've missed it so far. As i said, i've been away from comic books for awhile, but i've had a lot of people recommend it, so i will be putting it on my to get list when i get back to the shop in the next few weeks.

http://dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=11872

» View Larger Image

Written by Paul Dini; Art and Cover by Guillem March; Variant Cover by JG Jones
This all-new series features the bad girls of Gotham City! Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are tired of playing by other people's rules regardless of which side of the law they're on. These tough ladies have a new agenda that's all their own, and they'll use any means necessary to pursue it. But can they get along and work as a team? And who will get hurt along the way? DETECTIVE COMICS and STREETS OF GOTHAM writer Paul Dini kicks off this brand-new ongoing series with amazing artwork by Guillem March (JOKER'S ASYLUM: POISON IVY, GOTHAM GAZETTE).
  • <LI class=first>Archive Editions
  • 32pg.
  • Color
  • $2.99 US
On Sale June 24, 2009

Love, love, love the cover :up:

BATMAN: STREETS OF GOTHAM #1

» View Larger Image

Written by Paul Dini and Marc Andreyko; Art by Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs and Georges Jeanty and Karl Story; Cover by Dustin Nguyen : Variant Cover by JG Jones
An all-new Batman series by the DETECTIVE COMICS creative team of Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen! As a new Batman rises on the streets of Gotham City, the heroes, villains and citizens take notice. How will the police feel about this new Batman, and can he control the crime in Gotham the way the old Batman did?

This new series also features a regular ongoing co-feature starring Manhunter written by Marc Andreyko and illustrated by Georges Jeanty (Buffy Season 8)! Kate Spencer lost a friend during the chaos of BATTLE FOR THE COWL, and now she wants payback. As usual, she'll use any means necessary to get it
  • <LI class=first>Batman
  • 40pg.
  • Color
  • $3.99 US
On Sale June 17, 2009

^Now that I look at it more closely...what is up with Ivy's ears/side of her head?

i can't tell if she even has ears...all i see is hair.

I must say, I like the direction the bat-books are taking, though I fear I may be in the minority. These two books sound great, Batman and Robin looks awesome, Detective Comics... I mean, Greg Rucka + Bat-book= me in heaven. Though I cant say I'm 100% on board with it, Red Robin seems somewhat interesting too. I'm not too interested in Batgirl. And as for Winick's Batman... time will tell.

I'm with you, though I don't see why alot of people are iffy on Winick. I loved his run on Green Arrow, and I thought Under The Hood was pretty good, all things considered in the context of what the story was doing. Maybe I haven't read enough of his stuff to know for sure, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he has in store for the Batman title.

Batman & Robin looks like it'll be pretty fun, Detective is going to be awesome, Red Robin could go either way for me (though I love the concept), and both Streets of Gotham and Sirens have just got to be good. Dini hasn't failed me yet, Morrison's best at writing the sort of direction that B&R seems to be taking, and Rucka is one of my all time favorite Batman writers ever.

Batgirl didn't interest me even when Cassie wasn't being screwed over, and Outsiders lost it's steam the minute that Dixon left the title. A shame, too, considering Outsiders really started off solid under his writing.

But aside from that, I'm pretty damn excited. :D

and Outsiders lost it's steam the minute that Dixon left the title. A shame, too, considering Outsiders really started off solid under his writing.

*pumps the brakes*

have you read the book since Tomasi took over? because it is in the best shape it's been in since Dixon left easily and doesn't seem like it will let up anytime soon. Nothing at all like Winnick's underwhelming tenure on the title.

Speaking of which while I never really liked Under the Hood I look forward to his run on BATMAN as he will be allowed more creative freedom since he's dealing with a "new" Batman. So I'm very curious to see where he goes with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"