• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

PC Green Lantern

Reaction score
A serious question hoping for a serious answer:

I do not have a problem with an American GL... Green Lantern was made by Americans, published in the U.S. and was supposed to be a superhero for the American masses. But as we now live in a PC world and since GL is supposed to be chosen among billions of human beings and is supposed to represent them in the intergalactic scene, and with the reality that there are people from other countries who probably are in a harder or poorer situation that takes more will compared to the situation that any of the GLs are probably in (I mean, Hal is a pilot, Kyle is an artist)... If you're a writer for the movie (or just the comics) and the movie is about the origin story of a certain GL.... how could you justify that this character have great will compared to other people of this planet?

This is more of a complaint about the comics, but it does bug me (because of the diversity issue, not necessarily because of your argument that Americans don't have the most willpower or whatever). The GL's power comes from the ring, so it could really be anybody, yet all the GLs of 2814 after Abin Sur are fit American men in their 20s/30s, several of whom share somewhat similar backgrounds (cop, soldier, pilot). How bout the ring chooses a middle-aged school teacher from China, or a high school kid from India, or an ALS survivor?

Anyways, for the movie, I would still want to see the source material brought to life with Hal, John, and Guy, but I'd be totally fine with changing their nationalities. Hal Jordan from Coast City, Australia? John Stewart from the UK? Guy Gardner from France?

I think it'd be harmless to change the nationalities (NOT the races for those who get sensitive...) of some of the GLs to address your point since it's a good one.

Hal is the North American Lantern.
Kyle is South American.
John, African.
Guy, Western European.
Simon, Middle Eastern/Western Asian (?)

I'm sure a handful will get mad, but seeing how the basics of the characters can remain intact to some degree, I don't see the harm. Plus, having a Lantern representative from every continent seems like a fairly logical thing, no?

The OP does bring up a good point though.Hence we got John Stewart, because Neal Adams went to his editor after Gardner came into being asking how could the ring pick another white guy and a planet full of different people. Now you're asking it be in another country, but yes it does follow the same train of thought.

I do not have a problem with an American GL... Green Lantern was made by Americans, published in the U.S. and was supposed to be a superhero for the American masses. But as we now live in a PC world and since GL is supposed to be chosen among billions of human beings and is supposed to represent them in the intergalactic scene, and with the reality that there are people from other countries who probably are in a harder or poorer situation that takes more will compared to the situation that any of the GLs are probably in (I mean, Hal is a pilot, Kyle is an artist)... If you're a writer for the movie (or just the comics) and the movie is about the origin story of a certain GL.... how could you justify that this character have great will compared to other people of this planet?

I don't agree at all. Have you seen Justice League The New Frontier? In that movie, Hal Jordan is a fighter pilot that has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after having to kill a Korean man during the war. He also struggles from the loss of his hero/father at a young age.

Hal may lead sort of a playboy, carefree lifestyle but he has real life struggles and demons underneath that cocky facade.

I don't agree at all. Have you seen Justice League The New Frontier? In that movie, Hal Jordan is a fighter pilot that has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after having to kill a Korean man during the war. He also struggles from the loss of his hero/father at a young age.

Hal may lead sort of a playboy, carefree lifestyle but he has real life struggles and demons underneath that cocky facade.

It all depends on who's writing him for that statement you made to hold true. I guess that's true of any fictional character, but Hal was written very well in NF, I agree. I don't think he was fleshed out to that degree originally though. Nor was he at the start of the New 52 from what I could tell.

I think it'd be harmless to change the nationalities (NOT the races for those who get sensitive...) of some of the GLs to address your point since it's a good one.

Kyle is South American.
John, African.
Guy, Western European.

I'm sure a handful will get mad, but seeing how the basics of the characters can remain intact to some degree, I don't see the harm. Plus, having a Lantern representative from every continent seems like a fairly logical thing, no?

I wouldn't object to that.

Actually, I think a physically disabled GL would be great. I'm amazed they haven't pursued it in the comics (if they have, I've managed to miss it).

The ring only depends on willpower and mental acuity and let me tell you, from having a step-brother who's quadriplegic, I can't think of anyone with more of those. Living with that sort of condition takes immense courage, more than I've got. He would be a much better GL than I.

I'm sure Stephen Hawking could be a terrific GL.

In fact, there's no need for GL to be physically strong or imposing at all.

There was an elseworlds were Barbara Gordon was GL.

Keep in mind that the green energy wielders have been specified to have more than just the part of will that is desire. They have minds that are unusually focused and honed in ways to make them suitable to use a thought-based weapon.

Hal and John are military men (at least in the New 52) who have extraordinary talents even among fellow soldiers. Hal's instincts as a pilot are the pinnacle of human reflex and hand-eye coordination. John's abilities as a sniper take both mental and physical precision.

With Kyle's early appearances, the imaginative part of his mind was emphasized. He was able to use vast resources of his psychology and translate them into the hard-light problem solving methodology of the ring.

Guy has the most brutish will of the GLs. He's a jerk, but a jerk with an oft-hidden, unyielding sense of right and wrong. There have been times when he's been stripped of his ring, and his singular focus has been to resume his career as a hero with or without it.

However, each one has had their share of difficult circumstances to overcome. Originally, John was a social crusader who had felt the sting of racism. Hal witnessed his father's death at an early age. Kyle's father left just after he was born (this was explained later on), and his mother could only produce a meager life for him. Initially, Guy had been severely abused as a kid by his father. While none of them were living in poverty, they hardly had soft lives.

The concentrated nationality of all the Green Lanterns has troubled me a bit too. To me, the easiest and quickest way to justify it would be to establish that Abin Sur's ring sought out the nearest individual who fit the ring's criteria, with Earth's comparatively large population being used to explain how there are multiple candidates and Hal was fortunate to be so close. Then, to further justify the continuing abundance of Yankee GLs, the serving Green Lantern gets to prep other candidates if the need arises, so Jordan just naturally chose other Americans.

But of the status quo seems weak to other people, here's some other nationalities for the Lanterns: Guy strikes me as someone who could be transformed into a Canadian in the same style as Marvel's depiction of the great North as a land of badasses, some of whom have a foul temper, and Stewart and Scott strike me as good UK names.

Of course when you then start thinking about girl GLs....

Was it during the time she had been paralyzed from below the waist by the Joker ?

Yes. It was a strange Elseworlds where Superman had brought a disease which wiped out all men, and then his genetic code was used to create new males or some such, which left a world of women and of course the various roles and code names of some of the male heroes went to women. Babs became GL.

There's no need to drastically change these characters in order for them to be more pc. They are pc enough already, there's no problem with all the earth GL's being from the US.

After all the League was originally called the Justice League of America...

There's enough geographical diversity on the team already...

Superman is from Krypton
Wonder Woman is from Themyscira
Aquaman is from Atlantis

Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern and Cyborg are allowed to be Americans. These characters were originally created by and for an American audience. Silver Age Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are both SO representative of 50s-60s America that changing their nationality would go against the core of what those characters were originally about.

Last edited:
Of course when you then start thinking about girl GLs....

I think that there are plenty of female Green Lanterns to pull from even if most of them aren't human. And then, of course, you've got the Star Sapphires, Bleez, Indigo-1, and others from other Corps to use as well.

There's no need to drastically change these characters in order for them to be more pc. They are pc enough already, there's no problem with all the earth GL's being from the US.

Superman is from Krypton
Aquaman is from Atlantis

Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern and Cyborg are allowed to be Americans. These characters were originally created by and for an American audience. Silver Age Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are both SO representative of 50s-60s America that changing their nationality would go against the core of what those characters were originally about.

I was not suggesting to change the race or nationality of these characters in my initial post (but somehow this suggestion is good), just justification on why the selection process is confined in this part of the globe.

Superman is from Krypton
Aquaman is from Atlantis

WB has done a brilliant job at casting the roles, where the team as a whole will look distinctly diverse. This topic is more of a criticism at how the world's most iconic super team in the comics is largely composed of white males in America. But again Snyder and co. have done a lot already to mitigate such criticisms, thanks to Gal, Jason, and Ray.

Moving forward though I wouldn't mind if other nationalities were represented. Less so in the name of being PC, more so in driving home the JL is a global affair and logistics would dictate more heroes are readily available worldwide.

Actually, I think a physically disabled GL would be great. I'm amazed they haven't pursued it in the comics (if they have, I've managed to miss it).

The ring only depends on willpower and mental acuity and let me tell you, from having a step-brother who's quadriplegic, I can't think of anyone with more of those. Living with that sort of condition takes immense courage, more than I've got. He would be a much better GL than I.

I'm sure Stephen Hawking could be a terrific GL.

In fact, there's no need for GL to be physically strong or imposing at all.
Given how arguably two of the most famous GLs are servicemen, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have one of them be former veterans who were honorably discharged due to physical damages from war. With the convenience of a literal magic ring, you could still have the conventional GL when he's all suited up. That would be a bold and progressive move, one that isn't short of creative potential. I believe Marvel's recent female Thor has a similar strategy, but I've not read up on it. Either way it's a fantastic way of drawing (good) attention to the property whilst not sacrificing anything golden from the fans.

I understand where the OP is coming from but on a very basic level... This is fan overthinking and nitpicking in a way. It's akin in my mind to asking, "Why does The Doctor in DOCTOR WHO always regenerate to a person with a U.K. accent?" It's applying WAY too much real world logic to a flight of fancy.

Given how arguably two of the most famous GLs are servicemen, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have one of them be former veterans who were honorably discharged due to physical damages from war. With the convenience of a literal magic ring, you could still have the conventional GL when he's all suited up. That would be a bold and progressive move, one that isn't short of creative potential. I believe Marvel's recent female Thor has a similar strategy, but I've not read up on it. Either way it's a fantastic way of drawing (good) attention to the property whilst not sacrificing anything golden from the fans.

There's already a blueprint for this in several stories throughout the years. Soranik Natu used her surgical knowledge of anatomy to create legs for a GL amputee, and Abin Sur recreated his hand after Sinestro cut if off during Flashpoint.

Although it's been a point of contention about the healing abilities of the ring. The ring has some regenerative properties (although it's advanced Guardian technology, not magic) but they have varied over the years with different writers and characters. My guess is that if Hal, John, Guy were disabled, wearing the ring for a couple of years would likely heal the disability.

Also, there would be the problem of Saint Walker or other Blue Lanterns if they're ever created or resurrected. The blue rings have definite healing properties and Walker seems particularly adept at using hope energy to do this.

I understand where the OP is coming from but on a very basic level... This is fan overthinking and nitpicking in a way. It's akin in my mind to asking, "Why does The Doctor in DOCTOR WHO always regenerate to a person with a U.K. accent?" It's applying WAY too much real world logic to a flight of fancy.
this!

Kyle is South American.
John, African.
Guy, Western European.

This is the post that I've said I agree with in my previous post and I think offers the best solution.

The concentrated nationality of all the Green Lanterns has troubled me a bit too. To me, the easiest and quickest way to justify it would be to establish that Abin Sur's ring sought out the nearest individual who fit the ring's criteria, with Earth's comparatively large population being used to explain how there are multiple candidates and Hal was fortunate to be so close. Then, to further justify the continuing abundance of Yankee GLs, the serving Green Lantern gets to prep other candidates if the need arises, so Jordan just naturally chose other Americans.

This is close to an idea I once had: that maybe during Abin Sur's crash, his ring's candidate search function was damaged into locating potential replacement within a limited range, and the nearest the ring could find was Hal. BUT I find this flawed: it lessen's Hal's willpower and the importance of his selection, and this also becomes absurd if this gets continually used as a reason for the choosing of the next three replacements.

Maybe there could be a dialog between any of the Green Lanterns, maybe between Sinestro and Hal or between Kilowog and Hal that while will is the main component for choosing a Green Lantern, the Green Lantern main battery and the Guardians also look for someone that could fulfill the responsibilities of being an intergalactic police and could withstand all the troubles that come with it.

I think what the OP means is that, while of course this is a medium that's basically "American Mythologies", the way the GL ring finds its beholder would make it more likely to someone who was in a constant survival mode. And it'd be likely someone who is really close to the hot zones, where there's constant distress - And then again, we did have that Middle Eastern Green Lantern, so I believe the creators thought about this as well.

I think what the OP means is that, while of course this is a medium that's basically "American Mythologies", the way the GL ring finds its beholder would make it more likely to someone who was in a constant survival mode. And it'd be likely someone who is really close to the hot zones, where there's constant distress - And then again, we did have that Middle Eastern Green Lantern, so I believe the creators thought about this as well.

You might be right, but even though Simon Baz has a Lebanese/Muslim family, he's still an American.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"