Perfect fits- Actors who were made for their roles!

Ziggyman

Scar Jo = Ziggywoman
Reaction score
The Oscars are almost here...And probably the greatest honour an actor can get is The Best Actor/Actress award at the Oscars...

And in the midst of this, I've been wondering, who are some of the actors/actresses out there who were the only ones who could pull off that role because of their performances...Lately, Mickey Rourke would come to mind...But don't forget about Marv! Sean Penn could come to mind for Harvey Milk, and since I recently saw Man on the Moon...My boy Jim comes to mind.

...This is for those actors/actresses out there who were either made for the role or the role was made for them...

Any more...

Last edited:
Downey as Stark. Period.

Indeed...And he wasn't even considered for the role!

yeah Downey was perfect for Iron Man

Ian McKellan as Gandalf.
Christopher Reeve as Superman.
Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier.
John Goodman as Fred Flintstone.

Damon as Bourne pops to mind as well. Can't think of anybody who could have played it as well as him.

Christopher Lloyd as Doc in the Back to the Future series.

Ahnold as The Terminator

That's not quite as accurate, because the Terminator didn't exist in the public eye without Arnold. Our perception of the role is shaded by Arnold's performance.

Hugh for Wolvie...Don't see anyone but him touching Logan!

Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones
Harrison Ford - Han Solo
Harrison Ford - Dr. Kimble

That's not quite as accurate, because the Terminator didn't exist in the public eye without Arnold. Our perception of the role is shaded by Arnold's performance.
The thread creator asked for "actors/actresses out there who were either made for the role or the ole was made for them"

I don't think anyone but Angie would be as committed to the role of Lara Croft as she was...

The thread creator asked for "actors/actresses out there who were either made for the role or the ole was made for them"

I still don't feel that it's a very accurate assumption. Make no mistake, Arnold did a stellar job as the Terminator, but unless there was some other portrayal, you can't say he was the best. True, the role was made for him, but was he made for the role? Could someone have done it better?

I still don't feel that it's a very accurate assumption. Make no mistake, Arnold did a stellar job as the Terminator, but unless there was some other portrayal, you can't say he was the best. True, the role was made for him, but was he made for the role? Could someone have done it better?
It's the same assumption you're making with the ones you listed. With the exception of Reeve, those characters have only been played by one actor. Who's to say someone else's Gandalf wouldn't have been better.

As it stands, Ahnold's name is synonymous with the Terminator and it is one of the iconic screen performances.

Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry and Man With No Name
Keanu Reeves - Ted (Bill & Ted)
Morgan Freeman - Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Johnny Depp - Edward Scissorhands/ Ed Wood/ Hunter S. Thompson/ Jack Sparrow
Christian Bale - Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)
Edward Norton - Narrator (Fight Club)

A few come to mind for me:
- Harrison Ford, for both Han Solo and Indiana Jones... i just dont see anyone else making those characters what he did with them.
- Anthony Hopkins, Hannibal Lecter... to this day, this performance just gives me chills.
- Christopher Reeves, Superman... there's only one man of steel for me.
- Sirgoney Weaver, Ripley... i just cant imagine anyone else doing what she did.

Depp for anything he's done really since no one would even dream of his role choices...

It's the same assumption you're making with the ones you listed. With the exception of Reeve, those characters have only been played by one actor. Who's to say someone else's Gandalf wouldn't have been better.

As it stands, Ahnold's name is synonymous with the Terminator and it is one of the iconic screen performances.

But each have had other interpretations. McKellan's Gandalf can be compared to the book, or the Gandalf from the animated movie. Stewart can be compared to the multitude of comic versions. Even Goodman has to stack up against the cartoon.

Al Pacino - Michael Corleone (The Godfather)/Sonny (Dog Day Afternoon)/ Tony Montana (Scarface)

James Caan - Sonny Corleone (The Godfather)

Marlon Brando - Terry (On the Waterfront)/ Stanley (A Streetcar Named Desire)/ Vito Corleone (The Godfather)

James Dean - Jim Stark (Rebel Without a Cause)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"