Phantom Thread - PTA/Daniel Day-Lewis 1950s Fashion Drama

"Im retiring." announcements from actors is really a cliche at this point. Its become obnoxious.

It doesn't even make sense for him to come out and say it, because nobody expects anything from him. He just kind of shows up when he wants to.

I buy this a helluva lot more than the notion that Tarantino has a limit on the number of films he's going to make. That ****er will be back. DDL maybe not.

Yeah Tarantino ain't retiring hahaha.

DDL goes long periods without acting anyways. I can believe he can live without it. Might as well take him at his word, until proven otherwise.

If he hangs it up, he'll go down as arguably the GOAT. I'll always take Nicholson over him, personally, though.

I can see this announcement being the real deal. It took 5 years for him to come back and do this movie.

Variety

Plot details have been scarce but back-channel gossip makes it sound like a Mike Leigh sort of experience, with a dollop of “Fifty Shades of Grey.” Make of that what you will.

Yeah that's been rumoured for a while. DDL will play a fashion designer who falls for a crackhead model or something. And he will be the submissive one.

So Last Tango in Paris?

Paul Thomas Anderson's new film is officially titled 'Phantom Thread' + @FocusFeatures have launched the site: http://www.focusfeatures.com/phantom-thread

Continuing their creative collaboration following 2007’s There Will Be Blood, three-time Academy Award winner Daniel
Day-Lewis stars in Phantom Thread from Paul Thomas Anderson. The writer/director will once again explore a distinctive milieu of the 20th century. The new movie is a drama set in the couture world of 1950s London. The story illuminates the life behind the curtain of an uncompromising dressmaker commissioned by royalty and high society.

DMCgvxFXkAExmT6.jpg

Phantom Thread. Interesting.

This looks excellent. I'm in... hopefully, DDL gets to go out with a bang.

Looks to be on par with what the Academy will lap up. Not diminishing it, but I know they'll dig it.

PTA is such a master. I would give my left arm for him to write/direct an adaptation of Moby-Dick. He can talk DDL out of retirement for that one too. :funny:

Looks to be on par with what the Academy will lap up. Not diminishing it, but I know they'll dig it.

It's a PTA movie he doesn't really do what you call 'Oscar bait'. But I agree this looks like it could be a player not a major one mind you but actor, director, costume and screenplay.

Although Director,Original Screenplay is tough this year.

That was pretty damn phenomenal. Yeah, PTA doesn't make 'Oscar bait' films. I feel like there is something much more self-serving about DDL's character. Perhaps he solely seeks these relationships with women as a means to implement these experiences into his art/clothing? This is obviously speculation on my part, but it is a character that is somewhat similar to DDL's personality -- since they share such a deep commitment to their respective crafts.

Last edited:
Looks great and from what I've heard it's not so Oscar-baity. This thing gets dark and weird.

To be honest the movie looks boring. But It is PTA and DDL. So I'm there regardless of the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"