Phantom Thread - PTA/Daniel Day-Lewis 1950s Fashion Drama

Looks interesting. To be honest i miss when PTA shot with the 2:40.1 aspect ratio. It just feels more made for him IMO compared to the flat ratio he's been using since "The Master".

DM_JIsZUMAE9PtF.jpg

Lesley Manville is the darkness standing between them.

That's a bit of the vibe I got from the clip though

So excited. I was told don't expect a fifty shades for the art house crowd in the sexual/kinky kinda way. But more in the control aspect of the relationship.

Hitchcock's Rebecca is an influence. And I'm hoping this gets dark and weird towards the end. Again, doesn't have to be in a sexual way. There's so much potential with DDL's final performance. I would love for it to be epic exclamation point on his career.

God I love PTA.

The film has screened and I'm seeing very good things. Several comments about how funny it often is, but also dark and weird.

Very exciting.

So is the whole Lewis
being kinky, sexually submissive thing true?

So is the whole Lewis
being kinky, sexually submissive thing true?

The rumour is that's it's a 50 Shades of Grey arthouse style but without the kinky atuff. More of the "Do as I say" kinda thing.

According to a couple of critics I know who saw it, they gave hints that this was extremely tedious.

According to a couple of critics I know who saw it, they gave hints that this was extremely tedious.

I take it these guy's haven't seen a PTA movie before now? Genral audiences tend to find him like that. You either love him or think he does boring, pretentious work.

Yeah, “tedious” can be understandably used to describe Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood, The Master, Inherent Vice...

Didn’t he say Mike Leigh was his main point of reference?

I take it these guy's haven't seen a PTA movie before now? Genral audiences tend to find him like that. You either love him or think he does boring, pretentious work.

They both love some of his previous works.

The bit of hype for this I've seen on Twitter has been off the charts but I bet it's something that splits audiences.

Looks interesting. To be honest i miss when PTA shot with the 2:40.1 aspect ratio. It just feels more made for him IMO compared to the flat ratio he's been using since "The Master".

Same here. I don't find myself loving the look of this aspect ratio.

So apparently the film had a limited release on Christmas Day. Has anyone seen this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"