Phoenix: Did you like her explanation?

crappymovie

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey all,

Was extremely disappointed with Phoenix's "story" in the film, as it seemed like a bad soap opera plot. Didn't X2 and X-men set up a different story?

Here's the X3: X used mental blocks to supress her powers, and her "bad side" that calls itself the Phoenix. Her death removed these blocks, so bad Jean is free.

X3 set-up: Jean's powers were evolving due to Magneto's machine in X1. In X2, she had changed (it was explicitely mentioned), and her powers were noticeably growing. The Phoenix was growing. Her death was to unleash the full potential of the Phoenix, along with it's corruption, as the Dark Phoenix -due to Jean's confusion with her new powers.

Sorry, her evil, all powerful side. The one that lives in her mind.

I like the idea of the mental blocks. It just doesn't sit so well with X2.

i think if it had shown phoenix as the cosmic being that it was
it just would have been another lose end the movie didnt tie up
and besides, im not sure if anyone is familiar with the old comics
but jean grey had a clone...madelyne pryor, mr sinister ummmm
manufactured her? anyways she wielded a small part of the phoenix
power. i can see this all coming together in a 4th installment...

I thought the explanation was rushed and inconsistent with what previous films had established, and therefore was not very satisfied with it. Furthermore, I was rather disappointed by how disjointed and separate the Phoenix plotline was from the movie's other plot, the Cure. This was evident most by how Jean just stood around during the Brotherhood and Cure scenes, as if she were just an extra getting a lot of attention. Even in the final battle, she just hangs around until the Brotherhood is defeated before ever getting involved. It's as if we were watching two different shorts that were put together into one film, IMO.

No I definitely didn't expect a space entity in this film, but the X2 explanation was better....her powers were evolving, and she was becoming corrupted by her new powers. In X3, when Prof X was explaining it to Logan, it seemed kind of comical "She had two personalities....Jean Grey...and another personality which called itself Phoenix." I laughed a little, and someone let out a groan.

I understood it as, the true force of her power is in the subconsciuos and without the blocks her subconscious was able to overpower which is what Prof. X feared.

I agree Swifty. They played it as a sort of natural evolution. As far removed as it was from the comics I like they way it was handled.

I kinda liked how they explained it. If it was the same as a the comics, it would be too unrealistic. A double ego is more believeable. But I'm dissapointed that they didn't include the firebird!! But X3 is still the best of the 3 films!!!

I mean if they made the movie like 2 hours and 30 min maybe they could have done the cosmic thing..though I think they handled the Phoenix story perfect. Famke (sp?) played the role amazing.

Who didn't like the idea that Pheonix was an evolution of her power.. A stronger and darker side of Jean??? Who preferred the comics definition??

I don't believe anyone in this thread suggested it should have been the same as the comics, but maybe I'm mistaken. I just don't feel the explanation given in the movie was very good or very true to what the previous films had established. It felt to me as if the writers hadn't even watched X1 or X2 but just got the cliff notes and rolled with that.

I repeat: NO ONE thinks the cosmic entity story should have been used. But do I think the evolution of Jean could have been triggered by the machine? Yes. Do I think Xavier suppressing her "malevolent" side was great? Not really. They had set it up as a story about the corruption of power. Instead, it was about that a little bit, but it was more of "look, she has a EVIL SIDE, now it's free!" The final straw was when he said her other personality called itself Phoenix...that was comical. Why not Bertha? Maybe Lulu? Why Phoenix?

But still we know it's her evolution. Her bad ego the stronger one took over.

I actually really liked the X-3 explaination. Why couldn't Magneto's machine just have worn down the blockage, letting the rest of her power (and the Phoenix persona with it) seep through ?

i wish they referenced the machine in x1, it would have linked nicely, just a couple extra lines to explain why these blocks were broken

addismad said:
i wish they referenced the machine in x1, it would have linked nicely, just a couple extra lines to explain why these blocks were broken

It would have messed up the pacing of the film. Talking and all that stuff bogs it down.

crappymovie said:
It would have messed up the pacing of the film. Talking and all that stuff bogs it down.

Classic. Well played. :up:

lol i take it your being sarcastic

magneto's machine in x1, there is a shot of her that suggests that something was wrong when the radiation was emitted

I liked how they did her light side/dark side thing.
It fit the movie.
I also loved her relationship with Xavier and Magneto.

Lil_Flip246 said:
What machine???

The machine that Magneto kidnapped Rogue for to try and make the UN summit members "brothers".

i loved it personally,i thought it really showed her split personAlity very well

I would rather have her powers be due to evolution, the original tract, then have them be a darker side. Of course, the comic book idea is too far out there.

I thought that the machine in x-men triggered some of that surpressed power. She started to use it in X-men united and ultimately used it to save them at the end...using the powers at the lake caused the phoenix to be freed it protected her body when the water crashe down...its one of the few things that still works with what Singer set-up. In a way it was Phoenix at the end of X-men United and Dark Phoenix in X-men Last Stand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"