• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dark Phoenix Somethings X-Men The Last Stand did better than Dark Phoenix

TheNewSlayer

Civilian
Reaction score
1. Magneto's brotherhood was way bigger. He had plenty powerful characters like the Juggernaut. While in Dark Phoenix he had 2 characters, that girl with telepathy which is not the real Selene from the comics and that guy with the hair. That's pretty much it.

2. The fury of the Phoenix in the Last Stand looked stronger. She killed plenty of humans and was about to destroy the whole island while in Dark Phoenix movie the final fight was in a deserted place and only the bad guys died. The battle in the train she did nothing.

3. The Death of main characters in the Last Stand was more shocking. The death of Cyclops and Xavier. In this movie they spoiled Mystique death in the trailer and when I watched the movie it felt nothing. I didn't feel anything.

In all honestly I'm not sure which movie was better.

I think we didn't get to see the full devastation of an angry Dark Phoenix in this Dark Phoenix movie. What are your thoughts?

I'm not saying that Dark Phoenix is bad. I actually loved and already watched 3 times. I'm just comparing the two Dark Phoenix movies.

Well,
the cosmic force that formed part of the Dark Phoenix persona DID destroy at least one planet...

Well,
the cosmic force that formed part of the Dark Phoenix persona DID destroy at least one planet...
True. But on Earth we didn't get to see anything major. It's like it was just Phoenix and not Dark Phoenix. Jean contained the Phoenix pretty well on this movie. Something I think the name of the movie should be just Phoenix and Not Dark Phoenix. She didn't go full corrupted by the Phoenix to be called Dark Phoenix.

There are clearly moments in the film where she loses control or gives in to her darker impulses.

She evaporated people into dust. She also turned dust into people,which is pretty darn impressive.

With her mind.

That's power, and was more impactful than watching Apocalypse evaporate entire cities into dust and build a pyramid in APOCALYPSE.

I don't know that we needed to see the scale of her power for power's sake, and I think that was largely their approach, and a major way that it differed from X3.

It's hinted that she evolved into a God capable of destroying or bringing life, and we saw this capability in the film.

That she didn't become fully corrupted is also kind of the point of this version of the story (and the source material). It was a statement about those who have experienced trauma and the potential for them to lash out and even to cause harm, but not be considered broken or unredeemable.

It's one of the core conflicts that many of the X-Men characters have in the mythos, explored through Jean.

It wasn't a direct adaption of the comics. It was a dramatization based on elements from the comics.

Last edited:
There are clearly moments in the film where she loses control or gives in to her darker impulses.

She evaporated people into dust. She also turned dust into people,which is pretty darn impressive.

With her mind.

That's power, and was more impactful than watching Apocalypse evaporate entire cities into dust and build a pyramid in APOCALYPSE.

I don't know that we needed to see the scale of her power for power's sake, and I think that was largely their approach, and a major way that it differed from X3.

It's hinted that she evolved into a God capable of destroying or bringing life, and we saw this capability in the film.

That she didn't become fully corrupted is also kind of the point of this version of the story (and the source material). It was a statement about those who have experienced trauma and the potential for them to lash out and even to cause harm, but not be considered broken or unredeemable.

It's one of the core conflicts that many of the X-Men characters have in the mythos, explored through Jean.

It wasn't a direct adaption of the comics. It was a dramatization based on elements from the comics.
Just so to be clear she didn't evaporate any people at all, only the Aliens when they left the train. She did not kill any human at all, only Mystique by accident. That's what I'm talking about. She didn't lose control to the point of killing innocent people like in the Last Stand where Jean killed all those soldiers who tried to shoot her.

I loved Dark Phoenix movie but there was something missing in terms of chaos and destruction. I think that they final battle should have been in the city in New York with a lot of casualties. But they fought on a isolated area with no casualties except for the Aliens. Maybe it was a money thing, maybe Fox didn't have money to make a huge fight in the city like what we saw in 2012 The Avengers.

For me, not much. I see it as a positive that Magneto only had two shoehorned henchmen to not care about. Overloading the film with dozens of new paper thin characters is a mistake that Kinberg apparently learned from. Likewise, having the entire movie be about Jean here instead of using the Phoenix as a B-plot to the Cure was a huge improvement. I do think X3 is more bombastic, though. More fun. Perhaps more interesting/memorable set pieces and moments.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. "Young woman gets power that she can't control and is destroyed by it" is so tropey now but I don't think "and then she flew away" is particularly satisfying. Casual audiences especially are probably going to leave thinking "wait what?"

My issue with this movie is that it feels like a payoff film when there was no build. A movie between Apocalypse and DP, perhaps one with lower stakes primarily focused on developing these characters and their relationships to one another, would have made this one resonate more effectively.

Well tbf Magneto was building an army in Last Stand to take out humanity for developing the cure. Though he could've just done it himself by ripping all the metal out of the Alcatraz facility. But for some reason GOAT McKellen was playing chess at the time and said "the pawns go first".

If they'd completely removed Jean from Last Stand it would've been better IMO. Could've brought back Nightcrawler by him being the one questioning to have the cure or not. His relationship with Storm could've come into it also. I know Marsden wouldn't have done much else but they could've just had him drive off haunted by Jean in his head. Then finish it with whispers of Scott from Jean at Alkali Lake with something striking the water, which could've set up X4. All means nothing now though of course.

For me, not much. I see it as a positive that Magneto only had two shoehorned henchmen to not care about. Overloading the film with dozens of new paper thin characters is a mistake that Kinberg apparently learned from. Likewise, having the entire movie be about Jean here instead of using the Phoenix as a B-plot to the Cure was a huge improvement. I do think X3 is more bombastic, though. More fun. Perhaps more interesting/memorable set pieces and moments.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. "Young woman gets power that she can't control and is destroyed by it" is so tropey now but I don't think "and then she flew away" is particularly satisfying. Casual audiences especially are probably going to leave thinking "wait what?"

My issue with this movie is that it feels like a payoff film when there was no build. A movie between Apocalypse and DP, perhaps one with lower stakes primarily focused on developing these characters and their relationships to one another, would have made this one resonate more effectively.
I wasn't happy with the Last Stand ending either. I'm still not sure how I feel about the Dark Phoenix ending, in a way it was good to know that she didn't die rather then just went away to gather herself.

Me being a Cyclops fan I prefer this Dark Phoenix movie because here he actually did something. I didn't like in Last Stand the whole Jean and Logan thing.

I just think that some got things better than the other.

In Dark Phoenix I feel like the movie was good but there was something missing.

2. The fury of the Phoenix in the Last Stand looked stronger. She killed plenty of humans and was about to destroy the whole island while in Dark Phoenix movie the final fight was in a deserted place and only the bad guys died. The battle in the train she did nothing.

I think we didn't get to see the full devastation of an angry Dark Phoenix in this Dark Phoenix movie. What are your thoughts?

That seems to be the point. That Jean is evolving beyond that fate she had in the original timeline as the narrations suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"