• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PS3 to get DVD upscaling

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/ps3-getting-dvd-upscaling-240896.php

I think in order to engender trust in our users, we have to share some things that might be not quite perfect, but are ready to give you an indication of what's coming. So we could say, "You know, we're not sure when it's coming, but we're going to have DVD upscaling on Playstation 3." There you go. There's a scoop for you.

Well, PS3 does seem to be heading down bright paths as of late

yeah Im liking all the news Ive been hearing

Awesome news, now we need ps2 games upscaling.:woot:

Imdaly am cry.

Not exactly sure why that's supposed to be.

Yay! Now you can do something I've been able to do on my XBOX 360 for a good while now!

Well....once you actually buy a PS3, that is. ;)

Is this going to be a simple update via online or your going to have to buy another PS3?

Is this going to be a simple update via online or your going to have to buy another PS3?

I'm betting a downloadable update, and maybe future PS3's just come with it already, but that article was just vague enough you can't tell, just that it will happen.

Personally I think it's good news, and Sony seems to be listening to complaints as they are fixing a decent amount of things in a short time. Hopefully they keep this up because I want the update where the PS3 washes my car in the morning :woot:.

It should have been there from the start, but regardless, it's good to see it's here no. The PS3 is slowly but surely meeting some of its criticisms and becoming a better all round console for it.

Not exactly sure why that's supposed to be.

Yay! Now you can do something I've been able to do on my XBOX 360 for a good while now!

Well....once you actually buy a PS3, that is. ;)

Oh it was just one of the things you cheerfully chimed in on in the Blu Ray HD-DVD thread in between cherry picking what you responded to, that's all.

You will. But it'll downconvert the video to 480p, which is just slightly better resolution than standard DVD. So sure, you can watch them, but it wouldn't be really any different than using a standard DVD.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746282p1.html

Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't know about this already. It's been an issue since before the system came out.

You will. But it'll downconvert the video to 480p, which is just slightly better resolution than standard DVD. So sure, you can watch them, but it wouldn't be really any different than using a standard DVD.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746282p1.html

Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't know about this already. It's been an issue since before the system came out.
I've heard there was problems with HD but I thought it was because of the tv or the HDMI, not the PS3 itself.

I've heard there was problems with HD but I thought it was because of the tv or the HDMI, not the PS3 itself.

Does your TV support 1080i input? Because if it does a PS3 will play Blu-Ray at that resolution, not 480p

Does your TV support 1080i input? Because if it does a PS3 will play Blu-Ray at that resolution, not 480p
Yes, but doenst that depend on what cable you use?

I want to correct what I've said in my last couple posts.

L.A. if your tv plays in 720p mode, you should be fine. The problem arises with those HDTVs that play 1080i but not 720p. I had that backwards in my last couple posts.

My TV plays 720p, but I'm having the problem. I thought the issue was with the PS3. It means you have to choose between 480p or 1080i at the moment.

My TV plays 720p, but I'm having the problem. I thought the issue was with the PS3. It means you have to choose between 480p or 1080i at the moment.

that's odd, so on the display options checklist you can't check 720p?

Well 720p is pretty much 1080i so thats not a big deal really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"