• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

PSPhone w/ Android support on the way?

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
pspmockupengadgetx.jpg

*mock up image is mock up, BTW

Here's what we can tell you about the hardware: if you're a gaming fan, this is exactly the kind of phone you've been waiting for. The device is described as cross between the Samsung Captivate and the PSP Go -- in other words, it's a landscape slider with game controls in place of the typical QWERTY keyboard. The D-pad is here, but instead of the small joystick, the device will have what was described as a "long touch pad" for analog controls, along with standard PSP buttons and shoulder buttons. The phone has a large display, described as being between 3.7 and 4.1 inches with WVGA or better resolution, a 5 megapixel camera that we're told might not be final, and it'll likely have a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU on board. The phone is mostly black with some silver highlights, and the gamepad area is white / silver in color. Apparently it's currently branded as a Xperia device, but it looks like it will carry PlayStation branding as well. Those who've seen the phone say it looks "pretty damn sexy." The mockup above probably doesn't do the actual hardware justice, but it should give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with.

More at Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/exclusive-sony-ericsson-to-introduce-android-3-0-gaming-platfor/

I'm not 100% sure how well a touch pad would work as a replacement for an analog stick, but if they can find a way to simulate the feel of joystick resistance without compromising the controls then it could be a good substitute (as long as it's better than the crappy "virtual joysticks" on the DS and iPhone). I've been wanting something like this for a long time, and this could be the shot in the arm that the PSP needs. Hopefully it will be fully compatible with the entire PSP Go library, because that's already a fairly small selection and it would be kind of stupid if the PSPhone's library was even smaller. Also, this thing supposedly has a 1GHz processor, which would mean it's actually a lot more powerful than the original PSP which could potentially allow for near-Xbox quality graphics, or possibly even better!

I had been considering upgrading to a PSP 3000, but I may hold off on that for a while and see how things go with this phone device. If it's all that it should be, I may hang on to my PSP 1000 for my homebrew needs and make the jump to the PSPhone for new games. It sounds like it could be a pretty slick device! Could it be a challenger to the iPhone? Heck if I know, but i'd certainly rather play games with a real D-pad and buttons than a touch screen. Also, the Android's potential for homebrew apps like console emulators could finally mean an end to the war between Sony and PSP homebrewers. :D

I love the PSP and I love Android. So bring it on.

This sounds interesting but what if you don't want the phone and just the device?

This sounds interesting but what if you don't want the phone and just the device?

Well, that question begs another question: is this device going to be a next-generation PSP, or is it going to be a smart phone with a built-in PSP Go? If it's the latter, then you can already buy the device without the phone in any store for about $150 and up in the form of the PSP 3000 or PSP Go. If it is in fact a next-generation PSP, however, then anyone's guess is as good as mine. It's possible that Sony might go the iPhone route and offer the device in both phone and non-phone varieties, but that's just my speculation.

I would love to play any type of DVD Disc with movies on this phone. They add that then this would be good

I'm not quite sure how that would work unless it was the size of a portable CD player. There's always DVD rippers and Digital Copies for that sort of thing anyway.

One application for the PSPhone in particular that could be very exciting is 3G-enabled gaming. Imagine having a Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star game that you can jump in and out of online whenever you want, regardless of a wifi hotspot being in range? Also, the Android App support could really help settle the war between Sony and Homebrewers, since there are already a host of high Android-compatible emulators available that would probably play quite nicely on the PSPhone. The only potential snag I can see is price, but hopefully there are some decent payment options available for service subscribers.

I like the idea of a Playstation phone. Sony builds good products, and I've been thinking about getting a new cell anyway lol. So one that has 3G connection, and possible access to the PS Store for games, and possible PS3 connectivity would be awesome.

As for the PSP 2 touch screen, that sounds good as well. However I'm on a wait and see with buying another PSP. Don't get me wrong, the PSP is a good systems, but I'm just not as into gaming on it. Where with a Nintendo handheld it has games that are fun to play on the go, or while setting on a couch. PSP kinda felt like a console lite, which meant awesome graphics and more cinematic games, but not necessarily something I wanted to play on lunch hour at work, and when at home I'd rather be play on my PS3 instead. So I'll be getting a 3DS, but Sony might have to work a little to get me to get the next PSP if it's just the same with touch screen and slightly upped graphics.

Which is why I like the idea of a PSP phone better. It's got utility as a phone, but also has far better gaming potential than your normal mini-game phone. Plus it would retain all the other features I currently mainly use with my PSP, such as using it to look up gaming tips online while I play on my PS3, or listening to music, watching movies, etc. I like the media center features of the PSP more than the gaming part, and adding the ability to make calls on it is interesting to me.

First real image of PSPhone prototype revealed!

500xplaystationphone.jpg

Not terribly pretty, but this is just a prototype, and the design is not final. No word yet if this system's specs are the same as what will be used on the PSP2, or if the game selection will be shared in some way, but here are the specs so far:

Sony has finally done it. They've mated a Sony Ericsson cell phone with a PSP, spawning this... the PlayStation Phone. Don't call it the PSP2, please. That's something else entirely.

Engadget has first pics of the PlayStation Phone prototype, hopefully just its ugly duckling stage, with the gadget blog saying it's "headed into the market soon." As noted in previous reports, the PlayStation Phone is rumored to be based on Google's Android 3.0 platform and sport a "custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform."

The Sony Ericsson phone is also reported to pack in 1GHz Qualcomm CPU, 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and a screen "in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches."

What it doesn't have is an analog nub like the PSP and PSPgo. Instead, it appears that a touch-sensitive track pad on the slide-out controls will replicate the function of the PSP's analog controls. (UMD and Memory Sticks appear to be eliminated as well.)

That touch pad technology sounds similar to the tech featured in the genuine successor the PSP, which we're told has a touch pad on the back of the device as well as dual analog nubs for control. The PSP2, which Sony has not yet officially announced, is said to be due fall 2011.

No idea when this this is coming out, or even if it's coming out at all... And also, there's the pressing question of which is the better deal; the PSPhone, or the PSP2, which is said to have two physical analog nubs and a touch panel on the backside, similar to the Backflip phone. I have no idea if and how these two devices are related, but as much as I want the PSPhone I think I will wait and see what the PSP2 has to offer and then make a better informed decision.

Thanks. It looks like the PSPhone has a trackpad on the back of the screen. The PSP2 is rumored to have one, as well. I could be wrong, but it looks like the PSPhone and PSP2 could be "sisters" the same way that the iPhone and iPod touch are.

If it comes to Sprint, it will be mine. Awesome that it will have Android 3.0 as well.

Also... if I can wirelessly transmit my PSX classics from my PS3 to this thing.... instawin!!!

Sony also said that the rumors of the PSP 2 were false... even though several developers had the actual systems in their hands and were talking about it, lol.

Remember that nerdy guy in the "rumor monger" PS3 commercial?

He needs to be in another commercial, where he tries to grill Marcus about the PSPhone. Marcus would be telling him that it would be awesome, but until Sony makes an announcement, no comment. All the while, he'd be playing games on the PSPhone and then hang up on the nerdy guy when he gets a call on the PSPhone.

Though not official, this is about the closest thing you'll get to Sony confirming its existence until an actual reveal
A Sony executive has all but confirmed the existence of the PlayStation Phone, lending credence to reports late last month that outed a working prototype of the device.

Sony Ericsson's Chief Executive Bert Nordberg was surprisingly frank in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, saying "There's a lot of smoke, and I tell you there must be a fire somewhere. Sony has an extremely strong offering in the gaming market, and that's very interesting."

Nordberg went on to say that a new product would be shown at next February's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which would seem increasingly likely to be the new PlayStation Phone.

It's not the first time that a Sony executive has spoken openly about the device, with Sony Computer Entertainment of America's Peter Dille discussing the potential of a PlayStation-branded phone in the wake of leaked photos showing the device.

We recently delved deep into some of the unanswered questions surrounding the PlayStation Phone
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136090p1.html

I wonder how well the track pads work in place of a joystick. The thing looks great though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"