• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

racism in hollywood - and how far it has come.

yeah that's stupid.

I do get their reasoning...kinda. They are no women of color that are who are seriously being considered for an OScar (at least that I know of) but doesnt that say something too? COuldnt they get a LARGE myriad of actresses to discuss another side of feminism. A side that I feel is often ignored?

I mean let's face it: most of these Hollywood issues, Sexiest women/men alive things, etc. always count out minorities. It's gotten to the point that usually im initially more upset that a whole, decently paid staff can't have the foresight to see that theyre about to cause controversy.

It's also funny that they closed the comment section for their explanation article
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-actress-hollywood-reporter-roundtable-841850

Last edited:
The Oscar thing is basically passing the Buck and blame to the Academy

Exactly. THR doesn't want to take responsibility for their role in perpetuating the issue. Them, along with many other large entertainment publications, don't actively support minority based actors, actresses and projects within the industry like they do everything else.

It's hilarious that they're shucking the blame when they and many other publications could have helped changed the tide years ago. They actively influence what movies and actors get the momentum during awards season.

It's gotten to the point that usually im initially more upset that a whole, decently paid staff can't have the foresight to see that theyre about to cause controversy.

That's usually what happens when you don't have enough or any diversity behind the scenes. You don't get different cultural viewpoints/opinions or the one token minority on the team gets drowned out.

That's usually what happens when you don't have enough or any diversity behind the scenes. You don't get different cultural viewpoints/opinions or the one token minority on the team gets drowned out.

But here's the thing...they had enough foresight to say "Hey...we don't have any women of color on here) so I dont think it's lack of diversity behind the scenes that caused this. At least this time.

It's all muddled. Long story short: it's time to get people of color on the screen in more leading roles. All races. I dont see why anyone would disagree other than racism

I'm right there with you.

Another relevant topic they should have discussed is why so many minority actresses who started out on the big-screen have now relegated themselves to television. Viola Davis, Lucy Liu, Kerry Washington, Jennifer Lopez, Taraji P. Henson, Halle Berry, Angela Bassett - all minorities who started out on the big screen that are now leads on network television shows.

Not that television is a bad place right now, but you don't see many of their white counterparts doing that same thing.

Last edited:

Another relevant topic they should have discussed is why so many minority actresses who started out on the big-screen have now relegated themselves to television. Viola Davis, Lucy Liu, Kerry Washington, Jennifer Lopez, Taraji P. Henson, Halle Berry, Angela Bassett - all minorities who started out on the big screen that are now leads on network television shows.

Not that television is a bad place right now, but you don't see any of their white counterparts doing that same.

I think you see a decent amount of white actors/actresses coming to TV/Netflix...but that's usually when theyre star kinda/completely faded.
Kevin Spacey
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Jeff Daniels
Marcia Gay HArden
Christian Slater
Charlie Sheen

But I do see and agree with your point
Another actress who should be added to that list should be Rosario Dawson. I love Daredevil and she was fine in it, but honestly it was such a thankless role (I know it'll be expanded in Luke Cage, DD season 2, etc.) that I really wonder why she did it

I think you see a decent amount of white actors/actresses coming to TV/Netflix...but that's usually when theyre star kinda/completely faded.
Kevin Spacey
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Jeff Daniels
Marcia Gay HArden
Christian Slater
Charlie Sheen

But I do see and agree with your point
Another actress who should be added to that list should be Rosario Dawson. I love Daredevil and she was fine in it, but honestly it was such a thankless role (I know it'll be expanded in Luke Cage, DD season 2, etc.) that I really wonder why she did it

YESSSS! She's a huge one for me - I was severely disappointed in her role on Daredevil. Other than D'Onofrio she's the most well known person in that cast and here she is playing second fiddle to a bunch of unknowns. She honestly should have been Elektra but that's just my opinion...

It's crazy the lack of work she gets cause she is a phenomenal actress.

Last edited:

Not that television is a bad place right now, but you don't see many of their white counterparts doing that same thing.

As far as I know she first gained fame on television...on Ally McBeal.

They could have easily tossed Kerry Washington in there, even if she's become kind of a token.

They could have easily tossed Kerry Washington in there, even if she's become kind of a token.

Or the obvious choice - Lupita N'yongo. She just won the Oscar a year ago...

Yeah, I do find it a little unsettling that the Lupita train has kinda died down so quickly. Yeah, she's in Star Wars but most people probably won't even know it. The last thing I saw her in was ****ing Sesame Street.

Lupita has a really sexy accent. But yeah, where are her roles? Looks like she was on to something with her Oscar speech. Will she ever be a lead lady? And no, not a reboot of that old Bond character with the amazing teeth.... What was it, May Day?

Grace Jones? LOL.

Of course, one of them (Mindy Kaling) is annoying as hell. She was one of the low points of the final episode of the Office.

As for this topic, Black Women are making waves on TV. Kerry Washington and Nicole Beharie are headlining their own shows. Oscar Winners Halle Berry and Octavia Spencer are soon to follow and it was just announced yesterday that Zoe Saldana will be headlining the miniseries remake of Rosemary's Baby for NBC. The always steady (and still gorgeous) Angela Bassett is in the current season of American Horror Story along with Gaby Sidibe.
As a marketing guy, I always look at the statistical element towards demographics. People can complain that Hollywood/American tv is mostly white and leaves out black women............ but nearly 80% of the country is white. Black women are about 6% of the population. Looking at it that way I'd say the coverage is actually pretty decent for diversification purposes. I would say black men who are also about 6% do seem to get more opportunity when compared to black women. That can be said as a male vs female situation though in general. More men regardless of race are likely to get lead roles I'd say. The bigger divide is probably more of women underrepresented than racial diversification.

If you represented by population you'd never see anything but white people though. Black culture is also appealing $$$ to a lot of white people which makes a difference. It wasn't just black people electing Obama, buying rap music, or watching movies/shows featuring black characters :o

Yeah, I do find it a little unsettling that the Lupita train has kinda died down so quickly. Yeah, she's in Star Wars but most people probably won't even know it. The last thing I saw her in was ****ing Sesame Street.

Same thing happened to Octavia Spencer, and M'onique before her and Halle Berry before all of them. For some reason, winning one of the most prestigious acting awards in the country doesn't open up any doors for actresses of color. Look at how Jennifer Lawrence exploded and she didn't even win her first year, how Sandra Bullock has completely changed her entire career or whatever new it girl will be nominated this year.

It make's absolutely no sense why actresses like Berry, Spencer or N'yongo aren't getting that same treatment.

As a marketing guy, I always look at the statistical element towards demographics. People can complain that Hollywood/American tv is mostly white and leaves out black women............ but nearly 80% of the country is white. Black women are about 6% of the population. Looking at it that way I'd say the coverage is actually pretty decent for diversification purposes. I would say black men who are also about 6% do seem to get more opportunity when compared to black women. That can be said as a male vs female situation though in general. More men regardless of race are likely to get lead roles I'd say. The bigger divide is probably more of women underrepresented than racial diversification.

What? The country is only 50% Caucasian yet you guys take up almost 80-90% of produced media out there. We minorities together makeup just about 40% of the population yet we aren't represented at that percentage, not even close.

By 2030 or so, there will be more minorities than Caucasian people yet nothing will change because it's ingrained in our country. Caucasian people have had pretty much a 100+ year headstart on minorities to rise to positions of power. It's going to take more than 100 to topple a system like that.

The overused quote that "Well Af-Am/Hispanic/Indian/Native/Asian only make up X percentage of the population" is ridiculous cause Hollywood isn't even meeting that goal.

Last edited:
Well, at least we got someone.on the inside who can tell us how they think.

LOLOL

It's Empire Wednesday and I've had two glasses of wine, sue me. lol

The discrepancy in numbers might come (in part) from factoring in Hispanics. Hispanic doesn't equal non-white; it's an ethnicity, not a race. Alexis Bledel is a white Latina, for example.

To expand on that, 17.4% of the population in the 2014 census identify as Hispanic, and out of that 15.3% identify racially as white only. I would imagine a good number of those do have an American Indian background (Mexicans tend to be part white and part American Indian) but don't see themselves as American Indian. So on the one hand, maybe they see other white people and TV and feel that they represent them racially (as opposed to culturally). On the other hand, that doesn't necessarily mean their racial makeup doesn't affect their ability to find work in Hollywood.

I don't know how the numbers are determined in terms of how many minorities are working in Hollywood, either. It's entirely possible that Selena Gomez would identify as white on a census but be identified as a minority actress.

Lupita has a really sexy accent. But yeah, where are her roles? Looks like she was on to something with her Oscar speech. Will she ever be a lead lady? And no, not a reboot of that old Bond character with the amazing teeth.... What was it, May Day?

How many oscar winners though, especially women, went on to have some outstanding careers? It seems to me that for many actors, once they do get that oscar, they never seem to really live up to the hype there after.

J-Law is the only one really reaping benefits. A lot of actresses right now in the game who are good, people probably know their face but couldn't rattle off a name if you paid them, sans Lawrence.

Jennifer was giving the keys too and to be honest I haven't seen anything special in her acting. I mean she was so average in Playbooks. I guess it's all about luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"