It’s hard to see racism, when you’re white

No, the point isn't about what white and black people do, it's about how white and black people are perceived differently by the police. In a lot of places in America white folks don't have to be as careful with what they say as people of other racial groups because it is less likely that a police officer will assume guilt on their part.

I mean, yes, I agree that white people can experience racism and it's not okay to dismiss that, but at the same time being white does put a person at a huge advantage in society.
Um, I'm sorry, but if you're not careful with what you say to the police, you're an idiot white or black.

Apparently the Hype is run by the Log Cabin Republicans.

In a lot of places in America white folks don't have to be as careful with what they say as people of other racial groups because it is less likely that a police officer will assume guilt on their part.

If you're being pulled over by a cop, they already assume you're "guilty" of something. Otherwise they wouldn't have pulled you over. It doesn't matter what race you are or aren't, you should be taught/learn how to act and respond to a police officer, especially when you're being pulled over.

Yea, don't go 75 in a 45 and then mouth off to the cop like my friend's moronic boyfriend did.

"I can send my 16-year old out with his new driver’s license and not have to give him a lesson how to respond if police stop him."

Umm, shouldn't everyone be taught how to do that? This list is racist as ****

I think they go over it in driver's ed.

There are many stereotypes about this specific subject... many comedians joke about either being glad they are white because, hell, they're white... or that they wish they were white because being white is better than not being white. Stereotypes being generalizations, they generally aren't all true... but some individuals perpetuate them.

How many feel that white people experience more privilege than other races?

I didn't even read that poster in the beginning. I was too distracted by the dismissive comments posted in this thread. I normally stay out of these conversations because they never actually go anywhere. But I really had to comment this time.
I mean, yes, I agree that white people can experience racism and it's not okay to dismiss that, but at the same time being white does put a person at a huge advantage in society.
I don't know how huge an advantage it is, but there is a definite advantage to being white (especially white and male) in this society. And if you would honestly deny this fact, then you are either incredibly naive or are straight-up lying to yourself. I don't care what you say about me or what I think as a result of this posting. I am just so sick and tired of people coming around with their bull**** acting like everything is peachy and systematic societal discrimination against racial Others is some kind of myth made up by minority groups.

Denial of racism and accusing others of "playing the race card" is the new form of ignorance. And you cannot combat racism and other forms of ignorance by pretending that they don't exist to make yourself feel better.

Not if you're married to an Hispanic woman with a black step-daughter living in Ohio it's not.

It's also easy to find if you're a white boy who speaks little Spanish and lives in El Paso, TX.

Pointing out racism against whites doesn't mean I don't think racism exists against other groups.

... I don't believe I've ever said that it was...

White people sure like complaining as much as they like to pretend they know more about other people's cultures than the people who are actually from there.

I fail to see where any of this is supposedly happening in this thread.

White people sure like complaining as much as they like to pretend they know more about other people's cultures than the people who are actually from there.

That's funny.

This is why no thread about racism stays up very long.....it just becomes a big reason for everyone to act racist against someone else.

That's funny.

This is why no thread about racism stays up very long.....it just becomes a big reason for everyone to act racist against someone else.
I'm part white. I just think jokes about white people don't happen as much. So I like to strike quickly before white people try and whitenize it.

I didn't even read that poster in the beginning. I was too distracted by the dismissive comments posted in this thread. I normally stay out of these conversations because they never actually go anywhere. But I really had to comment this time.

I don't know how huge an advantage it is, but there is a definite advantage to being white (especially white and male) in this society. And if you would honestly deny this fact, then you are either incredibly naive or are straight-up lying to yourself. I don't care what you say about me or what I think as a result of this posting. I am just so sick and tired of people coming around with their bull**** acting like everything is peachy and systematic societal discrimination against racial Others is some kind of myth made up by minority groups.

Denial of racism and accusing others of "playing the race card" is the new form of ignorance. And you cannot combat racism and other forms of ignorance by pretending that they don't exist to make yourself feel better.

No one here is denying racism exists. I think what people have an issue with is the idea that a white male should be feel guilty for being a white male, as if life as a white male is so much better than others. For one, why should someone feel guilty for being something they have no control over? Secondly, life is hard and unfair. Period. And racism exists everywhere and against everyone. There's a fine line between being aware of and battling racism, and damning someone for having it "better" than you, while ignoring the irony.

I'm part white. I just think jokes about white people don't happen as much.

They happen a lot more than you think....and the thing about them is, they are deemed exceptable by the general society...as a sort of "it's your turn" deal.

That's why I don't like threads like this. EVERYBODY is on the receiving end of racism....but everybody feels their race always gets the worst of it....and don't want to hear the other guy complaining about it.

Stuff White People Like

Being Offended

To be offended is usually a rather unpleasant experience, one that can expose a person to intolerance, cultural misunderstandings, and even evoke the scars of the past. This is such an unpleasant experience that many people develop a thick skin and try to only be offended in the most egregious and awful situations. In many circumstances, they can allow smaller offenses to slip by as fighting them is a waste of time and energy. But white people, blessed with both time and energy, are not these kind of people. In fact there are few things white people love more than being offended.

Naturally, white people do not get offended by statements directed at white people. In fact, they don’t even have a problem making offensive statements about other white people (ask a white person about “flyover states”). As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people.

It is also valuable to know that white people spend a significant portion of their time preparing for the moment when they will be offended. They read magazines, books, and watch documentaries all in hopes that one day they will encounter a person who will say something offensive. When this happens, they can leap into action with quotes, statistics, and historical examples. Once they have finished lecturing another white person about how it’s wrong to use the term “black” instead of “African-American,” they can sit back and relax in the knowledge that they have made a difference.

White people also get excited at the opportunity to be offended at things that are sexist and/or homophobic. Both cases offering ample opportunities for lectures, complaints, graduate classes, lengthy discussions and workshops. All of which do an excellent job of raising awareness among white people who hope to change their status from “not racist” to “super not racist.”

Another thing worth noting is that the threshold for being offended is a very important tool for judging and ranking white people. Missing an opportunity to be outraged is like missing a reference to Derrida-it’s social death.

If you ever need to make a white person feel indebted to you, wait for them to mention a book, film, or television show that features a character who is the same race as you, then say &#8220;the representation of <insert race> was offensive and if you can&#8217;t see that, well, you need to do some soul searching.&#8221; After they return from their hastily booked trip to land of your ancestors, they will be desperate to make it up to you. At this point, it is acceptable to ask them to help you paint your house.

"I am able to drive a car in any neighborhood without being perceived as being in the wrong place or looking for trouble."

That's flat out untrue. There are many neighborhoods where, if you're white, you might as well just have a bulleyes on your chest.

And is the reverse true, that in white neighborhoods, people are looking to shoot a black driver?

No one here is denying racism exists. I think what people have an issue with is the idea that a white male should be feel guilty for being a white male, as if life as a white male is so much better than others. For one, why should someone feel guilty for being something they have no control over? Secondly, life is hard and unfair. Period. And racism exists everywhere and against everyone. There's a fine line between being aware of and battling racism, and damning someone for having it "better" than you, while ignoring the irony.
I can respect what you're saying. But people don't point out racial privilege for the purposes of making certain people feel guilty. It is to increase awareness about it. How can you change things that you are not necessarily aware of? And while it is true that life is never perfectly fair for anyone, that doesn't make the discussion of these sort of things invalid or unnecessary.

Anyhow, I don't like discussing these kinds of things very much on forums. They never end well. So I don't think I'll be posting here anymore. I've said my piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"