Ranking the Batman films from 1966 through 1989 to contemporary

Based on an average of the rankings in this thread, so far a consensus looks something like this:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman '89
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman: The Movie
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman & Robin

Based on an average of the rankings in this thread, so far a consensus looks something like this:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman '89
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman: The Movie
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman & Robin

Here we go !

1. The Dark Knight: unquestionably the best Batman film to-date, which is interesting as it's mostly about how ineffective Batman's methods are. If anything it's an anti-Batman film.

2. Batman Begins: Best Batman origin story to date, and I liked Nolan's whole "based in reality" approach, which is terribly misunderstood - he never wanted to make Batman "real" but he wanted to create the suspension of disbelief by making the stuff Batman does seem at least possible.
The tumbler alone is reason to watch the movie - a great take on the Batmobile.

3. Batman '89: People rave about Keaton as Batman, but really the only comparison was Adam West, not strong competition. He was good though, and the film was surprisingly dark for the 80's, and extremely violent ( if you're paying attention Batman kills a bunch of the Joker's goons).

4. Batman Returns / The Dark Knight Rises: A tie really, both these films had great moments, but both don't quite execute their ideas in the most effective way ( an army of penguins with rockets strapped to them ? Really ? almost as silly as trapping the entire police department of New York in the sewers )

5. Batman Forever, okay, Two-face was absolutely terrible but Jim Carrey was great as the Riddler - who's a goofy-ass character anyway. Val Kilmer was a decent Batman, Kidman a pretty average love interest, and a lot of the neon and other goofy **** was just distracting.

6. Batman and Robin: Sometimes going for a totally campy, goofy approach really works....and sometimes it doesn't. B and R is an example of when it utterly fails.

Based on being iconic and having great storytelling and replay value.

Excellent: B89 (possibly my favorite all time SH movie)

Great: Batman Returns

Good: The Dark Knight

Decent: The Dark Knight Rises, Batman '66

Poor: Batman Begins (distorts things I expect from Batman)

Trash: Batman and Robin, Batman Forever

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman (1989)
6. Batman (1966)
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman and Robin

Love the first six. BF is okay. B&R is B&R.

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Dark Knight Rises
3) Batman Begins
4) Batman
5) Batman & Robin

I guess I'm one of the few people who really doesn't like Batman Returns..

This is hard...

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman Returns
4. Batman
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman: The Movie
8. Batman and Robin

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Begins/Batman '89 (Always flip flop on these two)
Batman Returns
Batman '66
Batman Forever
Batman & The Death of a Franchise

I'm weird:

The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
Batman
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Batman: The Movie
Batman & Robin

Not a huge fan of Dark Knight Rises at all.

Batman (1989)
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
Batman (1966)
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises

1. Batman Begins - it was so different, and an unexpected joy. One of those times I went in with no expectations and just had fun.
2. Batman 1966 - for nostalgia sake, this was my Batman. Man I loved this movie and the show. It's a joy to watch with my kids. I'm reminded of the wonderment I felt at their age watching this. It's great for what it sets out to do. You just have to have an open mind.
3. The Dark Knight - great story and great acting. I still cry at the ending.
4. Batman 89 - I really like Keaton. There are aspects of brilliance with this one, but the mark is missed a few times.
5. The Dark Knight Rises - I really like this movie and wish I could put it higher. I feel it's biggest weakness is that it tried to one-up TDK and got too over-ambitious.

Big drop-off

6. Batman Forever - Tommy Lee Jones absolutely ruins this movie. Also, I hate the final showdown
7. B&R - there are things to like. I actually liked Uma. I wish they'd have made her more sympathetic as she was the victim early on. O'Donnel was a decent Robin in Forever but was annoying here. Clooney is a great actor but had zero chemistry with anyone.
8. Batman Returns - I know some people swear by this movie and more power to them. It just isn't my cup of tea. Gross, macabre and mean-spirited.

Batman Returns
Batman ('89)
Batman Begins

That's it. I don't like the rest enough to bother ranking them.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman (1989)
6. Batman (1966)
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman and Robin

Love the first six. BF is okay. B&R is B&R.

I'm with this person.

Forever and '66 maybe debatable. But West > Kilmer.

Batman Returns
Batman ('89)
Batman Begins

That's it. I don't like the rest enough to bother ranking them.

That's interesting. If one were so inclined, one may consider Batman Begins to be a worthwhile prequel to Tim Burton's movies. Hm.

I've never thought of it that way or anything. It's always been entirely separate from the Burton films in my mind. It just happens to be the only live action Batman film I enjoy besides Burton's two.

Mine would be :-

1) Batman Begins

2) Batman (1989)

3) The Dark Knight

4) Batman Returns

5) The Dark Knight Rises

6) Batman (1966)

7) Batman Forever

8) Batman & Robin

The Dark Knight
Batman 89
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman 66
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin

Batman Begins and TDKR are honestly pretty close to being tied for me.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman '89
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman and Robin

I haven't seen Batman '66 since I was four years old so I can't judge it fairly amongst the others, but it's not like it would rank that high. :o

The Dark Knight
Batman
Batman Begins
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin

Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Batman Forever
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batman: The Movie

Are we counting Mask of the Phantasm as well, since that also technically got a theatrical release? Because if so, then it might very well take the #1 spot for me (or at least #2 or 3). But if not, then:

1. The Dark Knight-It's wonderfully acted, got a deep and compelling plot, an instantly iconic villain in Heath Ledger's Joker. Batman, Harvey Dent, and Gordon are all wonderfully flawed heroes (and tragic one in Dent's case), it's got some real themes/ideas, there's palpable tension throughout, etc.

Perhaps it's a bit too long, has a few pacing issues here and there the love triangle between Bruce, Dent, and Rachel Dawes wasn't particularly compelling, and while I don't mind the Batvoice overall, it does get to be a bitt too much at times. But those are pretty minor complaints overall.

2. Batman Begins-One of the best superhero origin stories of all time. Well-paced, fantastically acted, with some real themes/ideas, the use of non-linear storytelling works well, it's got an interesting villain in Liam Neeson's Ra's al Ghul, and it's the first live-action Batman film to really focus in on Bruce Wayne/Batman and his psychology/character. Oh and they FINALLY got Gordon right, well-done.

3. The Dark Knight Rises-It's very ambitious, it doesn't lack for ideas either, it's a technical/filmmaking tour de force with some amazing set pieces, Bane is an interesting and terrifying villain (although whether you like the twist near the end is up to you), I LOVE Anne Hathaway's Catwoman, it's again well-acted, etc.

But it does have many more plot conveniences/contrivances than the other two, Catwoman just disappears for most of the second act, which was disappointing, they don't do as much with the "Bane takes over Gotham" idea as they could/should have, the lack of even a mention of the Joker is awkward imo, many people might not like the twist, etc. So good but flawed imo.

4. Batman 66-For what it is, it's really entertaining. There's some really good comedy and some genuinely kind of clever social/political satire as well. Plus seeing all of Batman's iconic rogues teaming up and playing off of each other was really fun to see.

5. Batman Forever-It's flawed and has a lot of dumb/silly moments (and TLJ's Two Face is awful, plus Nicole Kidman is kind of wasted as well and Gordon is even more of a joke than he was in the Burton films).

But it at least TRIES to be about Batman and his psychology (more so than the Burton films), I liked the paralleling of Bruce and Dick Grayson, Chris O'Donnell is pretty good here, Jim Carrey doing his Frank Gorshin impressing was fun, Val Kilmer makes for a decent Bruce Wayne and he looks really good in the suit, the action/fight scenes are a lot more compelling/dynamic than before. There's darkness/more heavy material to balance out the camp, etc. I honestly feel like this movie gets lumped in with the next one for some people, and that's not really fair.

6. Batman 89-Not a huge fan of this one, kind of a case of "style over substance." Gothic Gotham looks kind of cool (although a bit too obviously set-bound at times imo), Keaton gives a good performance, the suit looks really good, the Batplane is amazing (as is the Batmobile), Jack Nicholson is entertaining, as is Alexander Knox as a charactet the score by Danny Elfman is great, and it's tremendously iconic.

But I don't like how we never really get into Batman's head and he seems like such a creepy recluse, I don't like "psycho mass murderer" Batman, Jack Nicholson is more playing "crazy Jack Nicholson" than the Joker, Kim Basinger is annoying, The Joker killing the Wayne's was monumentally dumb, there's some really sloppy filmmaking/editing mistakes, etc.

7. Batman Returns-Really don't care much for this one either. Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Christopher Walken are all good. And there's a few cool moments.

But I don't like how Bruce Wayne/Batman is reduced to being an occasional guest-star in his own movie (even more so than the first one), he's even more of a sociopathic murderer than in the first one as well, I don't like Burton's take on Catwoman and Penguin, Penguin is also a supremely ineffective villain (and being reduced to being a pawn of a Burton-only character was lame), Gotham feels even more set-bound than the first film, it feels more like "Burton freak show #27" than a Batman film to be, and it's just generally unpleasant, gross, and mean-spirited throughout.

8. THAT MOVIE!!-A crime against film, a blight on the good name of Batman, a godawful waste of good money, and just a cinematic kick in the balls throughout. Get the point?

Batman
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Batman The Movie

1. Batman
2. Batman Returns
3. Batman Begins
4. The Dark Knight
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman 66
8. Batman & Robin

At heart, I am much more of a Burton Batman fan than a general Batman fan.

Batman Begins
Batman
The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman 66
Batman and Robin
The Dark Knight Rises

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics