Eternals Rate and Review the Eternals

Really enjoyed it as a film first.

I looked at it as a character in family dynamics. They all had diverse mind sets that stayed consistent. There wasn't a predictable team up were they all come together at the end.

The story wasn't as straight forward an predictable as any of the other MCU movies.
I thought it was paced well.

It was a much needed tonal pallet cleanser for me.

I understand why it got the rotten rating, because there are pacing and script problems all throughout this film. However the story is excellent and to me this tops other middling MCU films like Thor The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk. It's an ambitious film and the non linear storytelling was interesting, but honestly needed some stops in the editing room. I feel the trailers should have held back some scenes that quite honestly spoiled the plot for me because when a prime event happened in the film, I knew there was a scene in the trailer that was yet to come that let me know exactly what had happened. The marketing was so desperate to tie this film in with the Avengers and other popular franchises that it did a major disservice to the film.

And yet, lets be honest, this is not a great film. The acting is great, the performances are great, but to me the problems in this film sit directly at the feet of director and the editing room. I read that Chloé Zhao was heavily influenced by Man of Steel, and that's when I said, "oh that explains alot" because the exact same things that held back that film hold back this film.

This movie boasts having the first full on sex scene in a MCU film. I'm not sure if that was the best decision because quite honestly the theater burst out laughing when it occurred. Not exactly the reaction I think the film makers wanted. I'm no prude but what was the purpose of that scene? Did it add anything to the film? There are too many scenes like that in this film that don't serve any purpose and don't add to the plot.

All of this seemed to undermine a more interesting dynamic in the film. There seems to be a split among the eternals who feel they are there to support the will of the Celestials, vs protecting the humans. It' an interesting dynamic that is totally lost in the film and rushed to resolve in the last 20 min of screen time.

I think what is sad to me about this, is this probably could have been the best MCU of the year, and perhaps one of the best overall. As constructed though this movie is a distant third to Shang-Chi the current best of the year and even behind Black Widow.

Having said all that, this film is ambitious and really is the first Marvel film to fully explore the cosmos of the MCU. There is some beautiful cinematography in this film, and the concepts in it are really cool. I love the non linear story telling used here, and in many ways it reminded me a bit of the first Highlander from that perspective, along with some of the Nolan films and perhaps Shutter Island.

As executed I feel I need to give this a 6.5/10, but I would recommend people see this movie despite it's flaws. It's a beautiful looking film with some pacing issues and poor editing, but it's also a refreshing change from some of the usual MCU films. As usual there are two post credit scenes that you don't want to miss, and fans of the marvel universe will pick up on exactly what this is spelling out. For those that aren't familiar a quick google search will let you know what's to come.

Well, the best thing I can say about the film is that it's very ambitious. It does feel different from the rest of the MCU, and some of the performances are charming (Kumail Nanjiani is excellent). But I will admit, I struggled to get invested in these characters. A lot of them feel like archetypes, like the movie is flanderizing them so they don't get lost within the scuffle of the plot. You could've easily condensed several of these characters into a 5 or 6 member team, and the movie would've been better for it, because it's spread too thin.

This movie has a lot of ideas, but some of those ideas are just not executed in the best way, and there are fleeting gaps in logic in some of the writing choices. The script clearly needed another pass, because it's kind of a mess, structually.

Those are just my unorganized thoughts after seeing the film yesterday in IMAX. The presentation of the film is beautiful, the cinematography, the costumes, the score, all very well done. But that can't save the script

One big issue the film creates, for the inevitable FF series, is that it doesn't really leave much room for Galactus.

Easy solution:
make Galactus a rogue Celestial. It's a typical MCU move anyway, as they've already made Ego a Celestial, which he isn't in the comics. The MCU regularly shifts origin stories around anyway to make things more convenient, i.e., making Thanos an alien Titan vs. a Titanian Eternal who's descended from human beings.

Ok, longer review. Without a doubt the visually most beautiful Marvel movie yet. Great use of real location and sun light. Some absolutely gorgeous scenes like Thena jumping in the final fight. I almost gasped at that scene audibly. Makkari running is the new benchmark for speedster scenes. Could have done with more music because I think the main theme is great. Great acting. I would have cut maybe 10-20 minutes from the length but also added some scenes for Druig, Sprite, Makkari and Thena. Also, where was that scene with her from the trailers?

Spoilery stuff:

Funny how Kingo talked about cowardice, eventhough he more or less was guilty of it re: the final battle. I can see that being brought up in a sequel.

Phastos and Hiroshima... Utter silence in the theater.

Angelina Jolie as Thena. Pure badassery and her scenes brought out the most noise in the theater which was maybe over half packed. The women were loving her scenes, the little giddy squeals I heard were funny. That leap in the final fight and the way she killed Kro. I almost felt like saying "Yass, queen!" :funny:

Ikaris and Thena romance didn't hit quite for me until the end when he couldn't kill her.

Makkari and Druig had instant chemistry. I wanted more scenes with them. As Campea pointed out in this spoiler talk stream, that look she gives to him was just so cute.

Arishem... Holy ****, one of the most menacing figures ever in a comic book film.

Post-credits: well I was spoiled about Harry Styles but didn't expect to see Pip. Great voice casting with Patton Oswalt, not the best CGI though. I can totally live with Harry Styles casting.

Only found out later that the voice in the 2nd scene was Mahershala Ali.

I'm still surprised how much I liked the movie.

This movie boasts having the first full on sex scene in a MCU film. I'm not sure if that was the best decision because quite honestly the theater burst out laughing when it occurred. Not exactly the reaction I think the film makers wanted. I'm no prude but what was the purpose of that scene? Did it add anything to the film? There are too many scenes like that in this film that don't serve any purpose and don't add to the plot.

I guess this are the same people who watch secretly 50 shades of gray to get inspiration of their sex life? I mean, come on this scene was cute and innocent. You didnt see anything, it was dark and it is totally okay to show two characters love each other. For me, I find it more funny that besides a little kiss here and there love and erotic is completly ignored in the MCU while
simultaneously they teasing the audience with catsuits and sixpacks.

Also, where was that scene with her from the trailers?

I guess the scene about Angelina was another flashback, maybe Athen and the cut it away in the editing room for a better pacing. I missed it as well since it looks awesome colorful.

I guess this are the same people who watch secretly 50 shades of gray to get inspiration of their sex life? I mean, come on this scene was cute and innocent. You didnt see anything, it was dark and it is totally okay to show two characters love each other. For me, I find it more funny that besides a little kiss here and there love and erotic is completly ignored in the MCU while
simultaneously they teasing the audience with catsuits and sixpacks.

I thought the sex scene was silly and passionless. It doesn't help that there's no spark, chemistry, or fire where Ikaris and Sersi are concerned.

I read that Chloé Zhao was heavily influenced by Man of Steel, and that's when I said, "oh that explains alot" because the exact same things that held back that film hold back this film.

I believe that was specifically just in regards to her portrayal of Ikaris.

Funny how Kingo talked about cowardice, eventhough he more or less was guilty of it re: the final battle. I can see that being brought up in a sequel.

I actually don't think
that was cowardice. I loved that he basically said, he agreed with one side over the other, but he was never going to be willing to kill someone for their beliefs. I thought it was a pretty powerful statement. Especially if you compare that to something like Civil War... Like isn't it crazy that there were no Avengers who were just like "Nah I'm not fighting my friends, are you crazy?"

I actually don't think
that was cowardice. I loved that he basically said, he agreed with one side over the other, but he was never going to be willing to kill someone for their beliefs. I thought it was a pretty powerful statement. Especially if you compare that to something like Civil War... Like isn't it crazy that there were no Avengers who were just like "Nah I'm not fighting my friends, are you crazy?"
To be fair, Hawkeye and Black Widow were probably faking participation :funny:

Easy solution:
make Galactus a rogue Celestial. It's a typical MCU move anyway, as they've already made Ego a Celestial, which he isn't in the comics. The MCU regularly shifts origin stories around anyway to make things more convenient, i.e., making Thanos an alien Titan vs. a Titanian Eternal who's descended from human beings.

TBH it wasnt great when they did it with Ego, and seems a bit nonsensical now that we've met Arishem ( maybe Ego needed a few billion years to evolve into a being like him?)

The other problem with that is that the film Celestials would clearly deal with one of their own gone rogue - whereas in the comics Galactus has a cosmic purpose which is respected by beings like the Celestials, and is one of the reasons they leave him alone.

Also, in terms of scale and menace, Galactus now looks a bit secondary to the Celestials. I mean he could be 100 feet tall and still be nothing next to Arishem.

Doing that on a beach isn’t the best for human beings but since they aren’t technically and fully organic I guess no harm was done during and after the process. I don’t feel that scene is needed at all, and unfortunately nor do I feel the kind of tension/spark landing to that naturally. That relationship I guess is supposed to hold the main plot together up till the final resolution but for me it was perhaps the least compelling link. At least they are pretty to look at, that’s always a plus.

Doing that on a beach isn’t the best for human beings but since they aren’t technically and fully organic I guess no harm was done during and after the process. I don’t feel that scene is needed at all, and unfortunately nor do I feel the kind of tension/spark landing to that naturally. That relationship I guess is supposed to hold the main plot together up till the final resolution but for me it was perhaps the least compelling link. At least they are pretty to look at, that’s always a plus.

What's funny is that
a lot of folks have slammed the lack of chemistry between Ikaris and Sersi - and in the first part of the film I agree.

However, at the end, when he has to decide whether to kill her or help her stop the emergence, that scene had tons of emotion, and I thought it was really moving.

Also, Ikaris is a bit aloof for most of the film, but once we find out he's killed Ajak, that puts his behavior in a different light. He's struggling to be around his "family" again due to the immense guilt he feels for what he's done. He's also struggling to be around Sersi, and I believe that he left to distance himself from her because he knew about the emergence and that she was quite attached to humanity, and that would interfere with his ability to carry out his fundamental purpose. Just my theory.

Well, I broke my “no theater visits during the pandemic” rule to see this; Fandango lets you see how many seats are occupied on the app and it was only a couple people so I figured what the hell.

All in all, I really liked Eternals. It’s not perfect but honestly, I don’t see why the reaction has been so negative. There are pacing issues and there are a few too many main characters to follow (leaving some shortchanged) but I liked all of them.

Visually, the movie is gorgeous, from the cinematography to the costumes to the special effects. The story is solid, though I’ll admit that when they start explaining how the whole Emergence thing works and how they could potentially stop it, they lost me a bit. But the movie really shines in the moments where the heroes work together (or split apart) because you really get the sense that these people know each other well and care for each other.

I also appreciated that this film didn’t follow the “Marvel formula” as much as most other MCU films; there isn’t really a villain per se; more of a cataclysmic event that needs to be averted and different characters choose sides depending on how they feel about it. I liked that.

I do think some things were drawn out too much. The fight with the Deviants after locating Druig just dragged on for too long. Eventually I thought to myself, “Wait… there are still team members they haven’t located yet. How much longer IS this movie?”

I thought Ikaris’s semi-villainous turn was handled well but the trailers basically spoiled it because they showed the scene of him talking to Ajak on her ranch. But when you watch the movie, he goes there with Sersi and Sprite and she’s already dead so if you saw the trailer, that immediately tips you off that something is off with him.

Druig was a real standout and I really liked his point of view as a character. I’m finally beginning to see why Barry Keoghan is suddenly ubiquitous.

Gilgamesh and Makkari were barely in it at all. I think perhaps a couple of these characters should have been left off the roster so that the film didn’t feel so crowded. Because I didn’t feel like I got to know them at all.

Didn’t care for Kingo punking out for the finale. Like, seriously?

Kit Harrington did well in his role but the Black Knight stuff seemed kind of just thrown in there at the end. I would have liked to have seen a bit more foreshadowing than Sersi giving him a ring.

I wasn’t a fan of Arishem just being the God of Exposition in the middle of the movie. I let it slide when GOTG 2 did the same thing with Ego because at least there you had Kurt Russell’s infectious charm. But Arishem just came off like a video game NPC that tells you every thing you need to know to get to the next stage of the game.

Speaking of Arishem, did his appearance at the very end of the film remind anyone else or the end of the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie?

Having seen this movie, I'm not surprised it's cinema score is the worst in the MCU even though we've had much worse movies like Thor:The Dark world and AM&TW. TDW and AM&TW were meh but the characters were engaging and charming. Eternals had none of that, especially the lead characters.

People tend to be more forgiving if the protagonists in a movie are interesting, on the flip side they tend to be harsher on a movie when the characters are boring, and it doesn't help much that this movie is too long. I get why they would judge it more harshly.

For me, the movie was okay.

Things I liked
Arishem was menacing, wish we had more of him. In fact I wish the movie focused more on the celestials.

Loved Druig, Mekkari and Thena. My love for Makkari was mostly for her action scenes. I think she's the best speedster on screen yet, I love the way she moves. And of course her chemistry with Druig was off the chart. I've never seen the Druig actor before but he had the best performance in the movie and Druig is a very interesting character. Thena was just fierce and beautiful, she had the second best fight scene and I found her arc to be compelling. I admit I'm biased, because she's being played Angelina Jolie. I hope to see more of these three in the sequel if they ever get to do it.

Oh and I love Karun, he stole every scene he was in.

The cinematography was beautiful.

Things I didn't like

Except for the three I mentioned, the rest were just there. Ajak was barely in the movie. I kept waiting to like Kingo like many critics and fans said they did, but it never happened. I found him to be annoying and the Bollywood scene to be embarrassingly bad. Sprite had great potential, but I didn't feel anything for this character. Gilgamesh was okay, like Makkari, the movie didn't give him much, but Makkari had great action scenes, he had nothing but his good chemistry with Thena. Phastos was meh.

Sersi and Ikaris are the most boring lead characters I've ever seen in a CBM. Gemma Chen can't carry a movie and Sersi is just a chore to watch. Loved Madden in Bodyguard, I thought Ikaris would undoubtedly be my favourite character. Forget being my favourite character, he's straight up unlikeable.

After all the hype about the first sex scene in the MCU, the scene was awkward and added nothing to the movie. Those two had zero chemistry and I didn't find their love story believable.

The deviants should have never been in the movie, they were just pointless.

Black knight was pointless too.

Movie was too long and a slog to get through.

I gave the movie a 6. it isn't the worst movie in the MCU, but it's my least favourite movie. I mostly didn't enjoy it.

Idk what all the fuss is about. This is a good movie. Certainly not even close to the bottom tier MCU. I think general audience members are dummies who dont like to use their imagination.

Not quite as charming as GotG but such interesting cosmic concepts in this flick. I never knew the Eternals from the comics so it was all new territory to me and (dare I say it) far more interesting than the Inhumans.

Any issue I heard about ahead of time was laughable after seeing the film. The plot was tight, the pacing was slow but not in a bad way. Great CGI and action sequences. The acting was great and if there was some concern about some of the eternals acting wooden THEY ARE ROBOTS. LOL

Anyway, black knight star fox and pip made appearances. This is a clear transition into an eventual Galactus arc. I am Stoked.

8.6/10

After letting it marinate for a few days I liked this movie but I didn't love it and it's certainly very flawed.

I thought Barry Keoghan was the standout and he was probably in it one of the least. Madden and Chan weren't bad but they weren't great either. And Kit Harrington was really good despite not being needed.

I loved all of the celestial stuff but yet I found there to be no tension in the finale. And the Deviants were awful, Kro seemed interesting but he was just a total after thought.

It does set up what could be an epic sequel but I think the script needs to be a bit tighter next time. 6.5/10

Just watched this at the cinema. I definitely liked it but I did think some of the acting was "meh". I love Gemma Chan but I feel she should have given Sersi more warmth and charm... she was quite flat. However, I absolutely loved Angelina Jolie as Thena. Her little smirks and just general badassness. I really hope she has a meatier role in the sequel.

I also found the pacing of the movie a little off. I think I would have preferred it had they stuck to a more linear story rather than the intermittent flashbacks which I found slowed the plot.

All in all, it was good but not as polished as I come to expect from Marvel. Fingers crossed the sequel builds on the foundation they've laid down.

Just got out of the theater....it was decent. I give it a good 7/10. They did A LOT of world building and had A LOT of characters to work with and for the most part they did a good job.

This is basically Marvels very own Justice League and I was surprised at how much this film had references to not only DC but also Star Wars.

The overall story was ok, wasnt that big of a fan of the end. They had A LOT OF twists and turns, probably to many of them at that.

Ending the film with a giant celestial being just chilling was weird and its just supposed to stay put forever?

In regards to the acting, I think they did great overall. The thing is you have different schools of acting than what we usually get in the MCU. Iron Man 2 for example is very much actors just screwing around and having a lot of banter. This reminded me more of something like Solaris. Where the acting is more dry and less banter based and the emphasis of the movie is the story, the shot composition, etc. As a whole, this movie tried to be as much like a Solaris as you could whole still being recognizable as a Marvel film.

"I think general audience members are dummies who dont like to use their imagination."

"Iron Man 2 for example is very much actors just screwing around and having a lot of banter. This reminded me more of something like Solaris."

Oh...

We really are closing in on "This film was too smart for you that's why you didn't like it" territory, aren't we?

It’s funny that people get personally offended when a movie they like is not universally loved.

It’s funny that people get personally offended when a movie they like is not universally loved.
See...

I actually do think there's lots of films out there, from indeed attempts at popcorn appeal to simply trying something very different that does require a bit more effort to grasp intentions in the story or its execution from the audience.

Literally... Yeah, I do think that whether big themes or sequences or what have you... Sometimes things are done that is indeed "too smart" for the audience, and that can be good or bad depending.

I've shown Back To The Future to people who don't get it though.

The reverse of "It's just not that deep" applies too.

My issue is...

Well I've been told such defenses were poor for a long time now.

Second, like with the whole "Oh... Thor: Ragnarok has this trenchent commentary on Colonialism" BS I'm sorry... But comparing ETERNALS to Solaris is never not gonna be kinda hilarious especially since there's nothing in the movie near that level of ANYTHING.

Even if one doesn't see the flaws that I do... I mean one has to see that comparing this movie to 2001 or something is silly?

I didn't get that type of social commentary from Ragnarok. Black Panther seemed to have more overt political themes.

I could clearly see that Eternals had bigger ideas, but they didn't seem like they were executed in this significant, deep way. Even Prometheus I think was more effective in its execution of certain ideas of ancient alien astronauts, artificial life finding its own identity, interstellar travelers responsible for creating the human race.

Just got back from seeing it. Without spoiling, I would say. . . I enjoyed it, but I can absolutely see why it generally reviewed poorly. It has a lot of big ideas and interesting ( or potentially interesting ) characters, but its kind of cold and clunky in a lot of ways. It feels like a movie that really, really wishes it could be a full season TV show, or maybe two seasons- there are numerous spots where they use character and plot and exposition shortcuts.

My current review would be a 6/10, but a reasonably forgiving 6/10 provided you go in expecting and wanting weird philosophical cosmic comic book stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"