THE SUICIDE SQUAD RATE AND REVIEW THREAD

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
Rate and review The Suicide Squad here.

Remember to
tag spoilers!! Not everyone has had the chance to see the film yet so if your review contains any spoilers please tag them, or parts of the review that contain spoilers. Thank you.

Last edited:
I give it a 9. Hell I'd give it a 9.5. It's a fricking wild movie. In fact it's very surreal to watch but in a good way. I don't want to say it's stuff we haven't seen before, because we've seen gore like this in the Deadpool films, the potty mouth humor in DP and BOP, etc. However the way it's told feels fresh. There are certain directions the film goes that I pleasantly did not expect and even moments I fear Gunn has someone doing something out of character only for it to quickly swerve them back into character. You get the sense Gunn's control of this movie is very precise. It also feels very respectful of the source material except for one thing, which I won't deny still nags at me.

I'll refrain from talking any spoilers even with the tags, as I want to wait until the movie opens next week.

I'll just say I think people should go in with very tempered expectations. There's an odd pace to the film particularly in the second act where it "drags". I put in quotation marks because I didn't feel that way but I could observe from the people around me that some appeared restless. Also, characterizations of the protagonists aren't anything much deeper than an inch below surface level and a little expositiony. I don't blame them considering the amount of characters in this film, but given the overwhelmingly glowing reviews, I want to lower expectations now to NOT go in expecting incredible character work.

Finally, I think seeing it in the theater with a crowd enhances the experience a lot if you feel it's safe and you are comfortable. Watching this at home or on a mobile screen will dull the effect of the film. Not because of any flaws mind you, but rather for the parts of the film that are really funny or a spectacle.

TLDR: Gunn maintains impressive control of the film despite the number of characters and is a wild wild fun time. Just don't go in expecting a masterpiece. Go in just to chill and have a little fun.

Last edited:
Had a day off work so I seen it in the early afternoon here in the UK. No spoilers in this review.

In short, it's really good and the best James Gunn film, though it wouldn't be in my top 5 comic book films and I'm not sure if it's my top 10.

First off, this is an obvious improvement to David Ayer's film. A film stands on it's own but it's really hard not to compare this film to the first. Neither a proper sequel or a proper reboot, this film is probably the best example of taking the better elements that worked in a previous installment of a franchise and moving them into a brand new improved take.

This film is smart, colourful and filled with gore. Honestly I can't remember a more gory CBM, so if your squimish this is one to avoid. This is filled with humour and the dynamic of the team is very natural thanks to the actors and Gunn's direction, some of the characters get along better than others and this often factors into the film's funniest moments.

Idris Elba as Bloodsport is similar to Will Smith's Deadshot but effort is made to differentiate them but this film does fall into the trap of feeling repetitive. He still is a great lead and Elba more than compensates for Smith not returning. Harley Quinn shines bright here, this is easily her best film and Margot Robbie bring chaotic energy to her here in a day that doesn't make you cringe like in Birds Of Prey thanks to Gunn's script. Daniela Melchoir's Ratcatcher 2 is the standout character for me, Melchoir gives a good performance as a sympathetic underdog who's vulnerable but dangerous at the same time. Waller is good in this film too and she was also an element that worked that was brought over to this film. Starro is also a fine villain, a giant starfish is something that could be a challenge to bring on screen but he's portrayed well here. The film is well paced and the action is another sure improvement from the first. While this is very funny, this film sometimes has a few moments where a joke is dragged out in situations where it seems unnormal (such as the Harley hostage rescue scene from the trailers)

Overall, I give this 8.5/10. Other than Wonder Woman, this is the best DCEU film and is also better than Gunn's two Guardians films. Only negatives about it is a few jokes that are dragged out and BloodSport just feels like we have seen it all before. Well done.

Saw this yesterday here in the UK.

It was one of the funniest CBM's I've ever seen.

Gory, violent and absolutely ridiculous - yet Gunn makes it all work. The characters are awesome. I don't know how Polka-Dot Man worked, but he was an absolute favourite. Same for King Shark. Harley is also a standout and she has the best portrayal here (gone are the overacting, crying and all the "Mr. J" crap from SS and BOP, especially).

Story was a bit generic, but you will find this compensated with an awesome pacing, plenty of action (brutal and hard-rated R) and outstandingly funny character interactions and dialogue (Gunn's signature from the GOTG films).

My only critique is that
they killed off half of the characters in the first 10 mins. Savant, TDK, Captain Boomerang, Weasel, Blackguard - all characters I was looking forward to see, especially Blackguard and Weasel (even though the latter was revealed to have survived). Savant shouldn't have been the opening scene of the film as he dies almost immediately after.

8/10 - great fun at the cinema!

Got to see this today in an advanced screening, pretty much just came out of it.
Basically, James Gunn has done it again.

This movie just OOZES with style, Gunn has a knack for these very entertaining set pieces and the snappy character dialogue and it all just works.
Every character has their own little stories and they work so well and man i cant wait for everyone to see Ratcatcher 2 and King Shark, everyone gets their chance to shine but those two made the movie for me.
Now the characters may not come across and likeable or charming as the Guardians but its done on purpose since they're all...well, villians.
The visuals, the score, its all so different and fresh from every CBM we see these days, im definitely going for a round 2, hell maybe even 3.

8.5/10

Saw this yesterday here in the UK.

It was one of the funniest CBM's I've ever seen.

Gory, violent and absolutely ridiculous - yet Gunn makes it all work. The characters are awesome. I don't know how Polka-Dot Man worked, but he was an absolute favourite. Same for King Shark. Harley is also a standout and she has the best portrayal here (gone are the overacting, crying and all the "Mr. J" crap from SS and BOP, especially).

Story was a bit generic, but you will find this compensated with an awesome pacing, plenty of action (brutal and hard-rated R) and outstandingly funny character interactions and dialogue (Gunn's signature from the GOTG films).

My only critique is that
they killed off half of the characters in the first 10 mins. Savant, TDK, Captain Boomerang, Weasel, Blackguard - all characters I was looking forward to see, especially Blackguard and Weasel (even though the latter was revealed to have survived). Savant shouldn't have been the opening scene of the film as he dies almost immediately after.

8/10 - great fun at the cinema!
Dammit! They kill off
Boomerang
??
And early??

it was pretty obvious wasn't it? we didn't see him much in the trailers and official images.

This film was very fun and entertaining. The cast is pretty great, and a lot of them get to shine. I'm glad Idris Elba has a starring role in a good movie. His talent and charisma has often been wasted on either bit parts or subpar flicks.

There were a few twists that're good in the short term but not, IMO, in the long term.

This is the best film Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn has appeared in, but her best performance might still be Birds of Prey.

Hopefully, we get a Suicide Squad 3, with Will Smith back as Deadpool.

8/10

Last edited:
This is the best film Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn has appeared in, but best performance might still be Birds of Prey.

This is exactly how I feel. Shes of course still great in TSS but her Harley in BOP is so satisfying.

It was a good time. Genuinely fun this go around. New characters are all solid and the violence is satisfying.

This was a fun way to spend 2 hours, and it’s definitely an improvement over the first movie. Can we get the Ayer cut now so we can properly compare the two? It’s about damn time.

Starro may have been my favorite part. I’m happy the character was portrayed so faithfully. He could’ve worked well in a Justice League movie too, but it’s great seeing him here.

7.5/10

A little long but I had fun with the final 45 minutes.

Its good but i dont think this is the type of film that i would want to rewatch again. Some parts i liked and others were flat. Im not really a fan with the use of sound tracks in film. People saying that this is the best dceu film, umm yeah nah from me 6/10

Its good but i dont think this is the type of film that i would want to rewatch again. Some parts i liked and others were flat. Im not really a fan with the use of sound tracks in film. People saying that this is the best dceu film, umm yeah nah from me 6/10

Yeah definitely not the best DCEU film imo

Oh wow what a shock from the cultists s****r crowd lol

This movie was best when Gunn didn't try to be funny.

Two gags were really good. One with King Shark and one with dancing Polka Dot Man because it took me by surprise, the rest were too obvious. Also this is the best version of Harley from all these movies, it's not so exaggerated like before. Really cool. Harley was actually impressive.

6/10

Last edited:
The Suicide Squad was insane and everything I was hoping for. Such a great film and a perfect example of what happens when a director has complete freedom to do what he wants while also understanding the material. Bloodsport, Ratcatcher 2, and of course Harley Quinn were my favorites. Btw Margot was at her best here! She IS that character and im already eager to see her reprise the role again!

My only complaints are the color grading and aspect ratio as it cheapened the look of the look. It didn't look a high budgeted film from WB.

I don't particularly care for the characters but I thought it was fun. Ratcatcher 2 was the best character for me.

Yeah, I think its official that James Gunn just does not work for me. The actors put in a lot of work, but I just did not like this movie.

At least my fears over Gunn handling Harley didn't play out.

Not sure what I went in expecting, but I didn't have too much fun with it. Glad to see everyone else is enjoying it! I do think this a good movie, especially a Suicide Squad movie. I've read a handful of comics, and and think they got the tone right. it just wasn't for me for a number of reasons. I think all the actors did a good job. Really came to like Rat Catcher 2 & Polka Dot Man haha.

Was that John Ostrander in the scene with Bloodsport when he gets injected with the bomb?

3.5/5 not as good as I expected. Solid core team dynamic. Lots of funnies. Lots of forced funnies that didn’t land (not unlike Gunn’s other movies). Hated the villains. Just boring “Thinker” character, dumb starfish stuff (and I say that as someone who liked the other dumb stuff with the Shark and rats). Margot is awesome as Harley as usual but the subplot with that boring shirtless guy made me drift off a bit. So overall the threats didn’t do it for me.

The serious scenes were flat. Violence worked (fun gore like Tarantino’s Kill Bill). Cena and Elba played off each other well. Ratcatcher was cute.

Tired of the “faceless army storming the heroes” and “buildings collapsing! The whole city is gonna be screwed unless!”. The formula is old already and I expected Gunn to change it up with that style of third act. I don’t know anything about Starro so I wasn’t expecting that going in.

Since everyone was claiming The Suicide Squad was so different...I left scratching my head because it’s basically in the style of a Deadpool/GotG with a traditional third act that you’d see from a Avengers or Justice League. Good fun but not sure how different it is.

Maybe my opinion will change when I watch it alone. But for right now I thought it was likeable but rather average and overhyped.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"