Black Panther User Review Thread - Tag Spoilers

samsnee

Ok
Reaction score
Rate and post your reviews here. Tag spoilers please

Last edited:
Saw this film this morning and it was really good. Don't know where to rank it just yet but I definitely prefer Winter Soldier over this.

Black Panther is a film that allows audiences to be immersed into this new work of Wakanda. You get to really know the characters and thus appreciate a lot more what youre actually watching.

It's been said numerous times that the women are a standout, especially Okoye and Suri and the praise isnt exaggerated. When we see Okoye in the money shot of the IW trailer, this film conveys why she of all Wakandan sulporting characters is there.

The action is great, particularly the fights at Warrior falls. That being said I was disappointed tgat T'Challa didn't get a great showing in costume when it came to fights. His best fights were when hechasnt wearing the costume. I was really hoping we'd get a showing of super impressive fight skills aka Cap on the boat in WS, Cap Vs Batrok and Cap Vs Bucky on the highway. The lack of such showings is my only negative about the film bit everything else about the film is 10/10 stuff. The cinematography, Ludwig's score, the use and placement of the soundtrack and even the humour is the best utilisation Marvel has executed in a long time.

Jordan as Killmonger is one of the best villains. In terms of motivation he IS the best. You understand why and where he's coming from and the film raises an interesting point and perspective on the matter. Jordan In His golden jaguar costume was a beast and his fight with Doras is something I'd like to have seen more of and to see T'Challa in such action against fools. I feel like Winston Duke as M'Baku was great. A fantastic frenemy with perfect comedic timing. Can't wait to aware of his character explored.

Young King T'Chaka...knows how to make an entrance and his BP outfit was sweet AF.

Boseman IS T'Challa/BP. Regal, majestic, stoic and such a great actor. He's like Sean Connery as James Bond, not much to discuss because he's that damn good.

Oh and stay for the very end credits.

This is a 9/10 film for me.

The story is so rich, there are several layers to it that mark it out as one of the best ever in a CBM, the themes within do allign with a lot of curent events and are intelligently explored via the conversations between the characters, while the thriller element of the plort also takes several dramatic turns.

The acting is top notch across the board, MBJ does bring a militant anger to Killmonger that is powerful but I think people are undervaluing Chadwick's performance as it doesn't have the grandstanding style of Killmonger, but he conveys the honor and noble leadership of T'Challa perfectly, and I just think it's case of the current day underappreciating a straight up hero. The reviews are also sleeping on M'Baku, he is great and has several excellent moments.

Of the Ladies I do think Shuri and Okoye steal the plaudits, Letitia is all heart and spunk with a bit of cute naivety as Shuri, while Okoye is fierce, passionate, regal and at times funny. Lupita is good as Nakia I just don't think she gets as much good material as the other 2 Ladies, but I do like her dynamic with both T'Challa and Okoye.

Visually the film is stunning, so many beautifully captured scenes, and of course that unique colorful tribal and sci fi tech mix is glorious to watch, the first establishing shot of Wakanda is breathtaking.

The action is solid without being great, the editing is a bit erratic at times and there's some very obvious CGI models for some of BP's acrobatics, it's not on the level of the action of the Russos, Chris McQuarrie or Justin Lin, that's not to say the action doesn't have some good moments, the Korea chase is cool and I liked the Waterfall duels, but I don't feel T'Challa is captured phsyically as well as he was in Civil War, Okoye actually moves better in the hand to hand stuff, and the final fight with Killmonger is poor.

One thing the film does bring is a slice of humour that I wasn't expecting, it's not overdone like in Ragnarok, but there are two or three funny lines/moments in the film that got an audible laugh in my showing.

All in all the film is a triumph, I am already thinking of where a sequel might go lol. Black Panther takes a seat at the top table straight away, right up there with the heavyweights of the genre like TDK, The Winter Soldier and Civil War.

9/10

The story is so rich, there are several layers to it that mark it out as one of the best ever in a CBM, the themes within do allign with a lot of curent events and are intelligently explored via the conversations between the characters, while the thriller element of the plort also takes several dramatic turns.

The acting is top notch across the board, MBJ does bring a militant anger to Killmonger that is powerful but I think people are undervaluing Chadwick's performance as it doesn't have the grandstanding style of Killmonger, but he conveys the honor and noble leadership of T'Challa perfectly, and I just think it's case of the current day underappreciating a straight up hero. The reviews are also sleeping on M'Baku, he is great and has several excellent moments.

Of the Ladies I do think Shuri and Okoye steal the plaudits, Letitia is all heart and spunk with a bit of cute naivety as Shuri, while Okoye is fierce, passionate, regal and at times funny. Lupita is good as Nakia I just don't think she gets as much good material as the other 2 Ladies, but I do like her dynamic with both T'Challa and Okoye.

Visually the film is stunning, so many beautifully captured scenes, and of course that unique colorful tribal and sci fi tech mix is glorious to watch, the first establishing shot of Wakanda is breathtaking.

The action is solid without being great, the editing is a bit erratic at times and there's some very obvious CGI models for some of BP's acrobatics, it's not on the level of the action of the Russos, Chris McQuarrie or Justin Lin, that's not to say the action doesn't have some good moments, the Korea chase is cool and I liked the Waterfall duels, but I don't feel T'Challa is captured phsyically as well as he was in Civil War, Okoye actually moves better in the hand to hand stuff, and the final fight with Killmonger is poor.

One thing the film does bring is a slice of humour that I wasn't expecting, it's not overdone like in Ragnarok, but there are two or three funny lines/moments in the film that got an audible laugh in my showing.

All in all the film is a triumph, I am already thinking of where a sequel might go lol. Black Panther takes a seat at the top table straight away, right up there with the heavyweights of the genre like TDK, The Winter Soldier and Civil War.

9/10

Man seems like if they got the action/Black Panther fight scenes better t could have been even better. Surprised they didn't do it better. Then again the Russos had the benefit of the John Wick guys to help out.

Last edited:
Movie is still fresh in my mind so I'm letting it digest. Initial reactions are positive with some grievances. One of them being...

...the death of TWO GREAT VILLAINS!!! What the actual ****!!?!? They dropped Klaw and I was like ahh $***, at least we have Killmonger, then the dropped him too!!!
Killmonger has a history of coming back to life in the comics, so one can only hope, but resurrections af corny.

I'll be back to do a proper review. I'm just binging all the interviews and tv spots I purposely avoided building up to the movie.

Edit: I quickly add, am I the only black guy that didn't...
really feel offended by the gorilla cult. Not only did it fit well, I thought the Jobari and M'Baku were scene stealers. Him and Shuri were my fave characters

Last edited:
No spoiler review here.

Straight 9.0/10 for me.

Best origin movie for Marvel or any superhero movie by a long shot.

I am a big fan of Coogler and this DOES NOT disappoint. I didn't cry though, unlike Creed which had me bawling.

Big props to Feige for nailing Wakanda. I'd say Wakanda is the hardest thing to get right in BP and they nailed it. The level of detail done to this city and the culture really whopped DC's Themyscira in the butt.

The villain does not disappoint. He is terrifying and does not give any Fs. It leaves you begging for more of Killmonger.

They also nailed the powers of the suit which is very faithful and it looks much better on-screen than in pictures. Absorbing energy and redirecting it is totally the suit from the comics.

Lastly, the side characters are all top notch and really empowering to see the women are even better than the men and that the men are more the damsels in distress.

We in Asia don't clap after the movie ends. But on this rare occasion, we clapped and cheered for the movie. That's making an impact.

Movie is still fresh in my mind so I'm letting it digest. Initial reactions are positive with some grievances. One of them being...

...the death of TWO GREAT VILLAINS!!! What the actual ****!!?!? They dropped Klaw and I was like ahh $***, at least we have Killmonger, then the dropped him too!!!
Killmonger has a history of coming back to life in the comics, so one can only hope, but resurrections af corny.

I'll be back to do a proper review. I'm just binging all the interviews and tv spots I purposely avoided building up to the movie.

really feel offended by the gorilla cult. Not only did it fit well, I thought the Jobari and M'Baku were scene stealers. Him and Shuri were my fave characters

Klaw's death was to get Killmonger the entry into Wakanda.
Killmonger's death is serving purpose to the plot and ending the cycle of violence. BP didn't kill him. Erik killed himself to end the hatred. I am only iffy on Zuri's death.

No spoiler review here.

Straight 9.0/10 for me.

Best origin movie for Marvel or any superhero movie by a long shot.

I am a big fan of Coogler and this DOES NOT disappoint. I didn't cry though, unlike Creed which had me bawling.

Big props to Feige for nailing Wakanda. I'd say Wakanda is the hardest thing to get right in BP and they nailed it. The level of detail done to this city and the culture really whopped DC's Themyscira in the butt.

The villain does not disappoint. He is terrifying and does not give any Fs. It leaves you begging for more of Killmonger.

They also nailed the powers of the suit which is very faithful and it looks much better on-screen than in pictures. Absorbing energy and redirecting it is totally the suit from the comics.

Lastly, the side characters are all top notch and really empowering to see the women are even better than the men and that the men are more the damsels in distress.

We in Asia don't clap after the movie ends. But on this rare occasion, we clapped and cheered for the movie. That's making an impact.

You’re just one person but it’s good to read that an Asian audience was receptive.

I'm not black but...
I thought they used the Gorilla motif in a powerful and menacing way, rather than a disrespectful way, it was really effective in the scene where M'Baku and his tribe enter the falls to challenge T'Challa.

8,5/10, maybe higher after I see it the second time

1. At times doesn't feel like an MCU movie and I mean that in a good way. This opens a whole new, fascinating world within the MCU, arguably more interesting and visually distinctive than anything that's been done by Marvel up until now.

2. A weak villain is definitely NOT a problem here.

3. This film has the potential to become truly culturally significant. It's not only a well made superhero movie but it has a legitimate point to make about the state of the world and our responsibilities towards the rest of humanity. It will impact the real world just as much as the MCU going forward.

4. Was nice to see some black faces in the theater which is rare in Poland. African-American kids will go crazy for Wakanda.

5. Really worth seeing in IMAX.

6. Tough act to follow for anyone who's doing Black Panther 2...

Also... Brilliant cast. There are so many standouts in the movie, suffice to say Andy Serkis gives a brilliant performance and yet for me he's not even one of the top 5 most interesting characters in the flick... After seeing the movie I'm glad almost everyone will be back in Infinity War. BP supporting cast (M'baku, OKOYE, Shuri) is almost another franchise in and of itself.

Last edited:
I'm not black but...
I thought they used the Gorilla motif in a powerful and menacing way, rather than a disrespectful way, it was really effective in the scene where M'Baku and his tribe enter the falls to challenge T'Challa.

M'Baku was funny as hell. One of my favorites. Loved that he became a comic relief.

Wait, whaa? M'Baku's the comic relief?! :csad:

Wasn't expecting...that. At all.

Just watched the film. very good. great, rich characters that are on average better developed than in any other MCU film. Even the side characters all feel unique and meaningful additions that I would love to see in Avengers 3/4 and Black Panther 2.

Good things
Well choreographed action scenes
Great pacing
amazing character development
good acting and casting (loved killmonger, shuri and surprisingly, mbaku)
Relationships feel authentic and not forced
Good story arc that is largely standalone from other MCU films
Amazing world building
great respect for the continent and the African people

Negatives
Perhaps not enough shown of wakandan/black panther tech
1 major plot point was very obvious imo and lost its impact because of that
Perhaps the lack of connection to the rest of the MCU could be a negative (i personally would have liked to see a bit more linkage)

Right after first watch, I think BP makes my MCU top 5 with Avengers, GOTG, Cap 2 and Cap 3

Very good movie and unique for the Marvel universe.

IMHO it's not perfect, but I like how it looked and felt so unique apart from other Marvel films. I would've streamlined some of the characters. There are a couple too many. Not a few, but a couple. A couple writing and story issues that seem to ignore events from Civil War, but oh well.

Just came back from a screening. Love it. One of Marvel's best movies!!!

I really like the whole cast, especially Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther and Michael B Jordan as Erik.

And the girl who plays T'Challa's little sister is pretty good too.

The chase scene at South Korea is one of my favourite action scenes in the movie.

Regarding the character of Erik, I like how
he is the main villain in the movie, but I don't realy like that T'Challa killed him off in the end. It was a bit of a waste to kill off such a great villain.

And the 2 after credits scenes, the first one was okay, but I prefer the second one that has
Bucky in it

Um T'Challa
Didn't kill off Killmonger. He delivered a fatal wound but Killmonger didn't want to be healed and wanted to die. T'Challa respected his wishes. Plus, if they follow the comics Killmonger may just show up again at some point.

Um T'Challa
Didn't kill off Killmonger. He delivered a fatal wound but Killmonger didn't want to be healed and wanted to die. T'Challa respected his wishes. Plus, if they follow the comics Killmonger may just show up again at some point.

Thanks for your explaination.

I think Lupita Nyong was great as Nakia, the love interest. She's not just a damsel in distress. She's smart,strong and fights really well.

And Danai Gurira as Okoye is great too.

It was sad to see Forest Whitaker's character Zuri
die in the tournament

I do like the backstory of Erik and T'Challa's father in the movie.

Another thing that I realised.

When Erik ordered the people to burn off the purple flowers for the next king, but Nakia managed to steal a few purple petals, does that means the purple flower bed is now gone forever??

So the Black Panther power remains in those last few petals stolen by Nakia??

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing that I realised.

When Erik ordered the people to burn off the purple flowers for the next king, but Nakia managed to steal a few purple petals, does that means the purple flower bed is now gone forever??

So the Black Panther power remains in those last few petals stolen by Nakia??

tag spoiler please, just spoilt a bit for me , not seeing it until sat

Just came back from my screening. Black Panther is probably one of the most unique MCU films to date. It really had a different energy to it. It wasn't perfect (I had issues with the final fight and the fight choreography overall), but it has one of the best MCU stories and villains. It also has a really solid supporting cast and Wakanda, man is it beautiful!

9/10 for me!

New MCU ranking (it's getting harder and harder!):

1. Captain America: Civil War (10/10)
2. The Avengers (10/10)
3. Captain America:The Winter Soldier (9.5/10)
4. Guardians of the Galaxy (9/10)
5. Iron Man (9/10)
6. Thor: Ragnarok (9/10)
7. Black Panther (9/10)
8. Spider-man Homecoming (8.5/10)
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron (8.5/10)
10. Doctor Strange (8/10)
11. Thor (8/10)
12. Captain America: The First Avenger (8/10)
13. Ant-man (8/10)
14. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (8/10)
15. Thor: The Dark World (7.5/10)
16. Iron Man 3 (7.5/10)
17. Iron Man 2 (7/10)
18. The Incredible Hulk (6.5/10)

BRING ON INFINITY WAR!

edit: I'm also from Asia (The Philippines), and I rarely experience the audience clapping as well, but we clapped at this movie. The only other time i experienced this was The Avengers.

Last edited:
Guys, use your spoiler tag. Don't reference plot events that haven't been disclosed in the promotional materials.

Tag spoilers in threads not labeled spoiler. This title even CLEARLY STATES that Spoilers need to be tagged. I will infract people for not complying.

Thank you.

Sorry for my previous post for not tagging spoilers. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"