(NO SPOILERS) Black Panther Early Tweet Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

Worst review I've seen so far, lol.
HOT NOTICE: We were hoping to find the finesse of staging Ryan Coogler (Creed). Well no. All the good intentions of #BlackPanther collapse under a sluggish dramaturgy, a D.A cheap, ultra-laborious action scenes and unconvincing actors
https://twitter.com/fanfootagefr/status/960625248092729344

The first Marvel film with an elegant cast, and a real sense of dramaturgy for this family saga that is not devoid of intriguing conflicts or introspection on our time. Too bad the lazy VFX leg stays ..
It remains on the idea that Marvel has the good idea to give a little more freedom to its directors despite a shackle of production certainly very (too) heavy. # Thor3 #BlackPanther
And the film benefits enormously from the global charisma of the actors. Well done. #BlackPanther
https://twitter.com/MgCinema/status/960628677297033217

Last edited:
I find it kind of interesting that the critics have been very positive, while the few folks who attended a screening and who have posted on forums/reddit.etc have been pretty underwhelmed.

I find it kind of interesting that the critics have been very positive, while the few folks who attended a screening and who have posted on forums/reddit.etc have been pretty underwhelmed.

Are you sure some of them are not trolls?

I wonder if its a Last Jedi kind of thing where people expecting something different than what they got.

#BlackPanther is ultra-validated.
What a pleasure to discover Wakanda, its customs and its identity: #BlackPanther is one of the most audacious Marvel films about its sets, and especially its costumes.
What a pleasure to discover Wakanda, its customs and its identity: #BlackPanther is one of the most audacious Marvel films about its sets, and especially its costumes.

Angela Bassett, Danai Gurira, Lupita N'Yongo and Letitia Wright (already seen in the episode Black Museum of Black Mirror) = #BlackPanther

Ryan Coogler is pleased and it is felt in action scenes of great fluidity, including a fake sequence sequence rather clever. #BlackPanther
Obviously, the screenplay is not very daring, but #BlackPanther is above all a family story, and therefore a more intimate film than other Marvel. It is therefore easier to focus on the characters.
Well it's not revolutionary but it's very effective, and it's a nice dive into the world of Black Panther, its myths, etc.
https://twitter.com/_gabb8/status/960631584931106821

S/O to Deadstroke for updating us all with all the tweet/reviews. Good looking out!

I agree.

Thanks, Deadstroke.

(And that avvy is still funny af)

Hmmm... the people Ive seen on youtube who saw it but arent critics still loved it.

However they are comicbook fans. That might play a role.

What I think may be happening is that if the fan does not get 'hooked' by the world/culture being presented to him, he wont buy into the movie overall.

Are you sure some of them are not trolls?

They seem to be legit, they gave time and place of the screening and spoiled some of the film.

They said the first 45 minutes are extremely slow and the film overall is dull and the action is poor. He said other people in his screening didn't care for it too much either.

I've also see another reaction echo that the film starts off really slow, and it's story is very predictable, by the numbers script, and T'Challa is one of the weakest aspect of the film. They actually still liked it though despite of those things.

They seem to be legit, they gave time and place of the screening and spoiled some of the film.

They said the first 45 minutes are extremely slow and the film overall is dull and the action is poor. He said other people in his screening didn't care for it too much either.

I've also see another reaction echo that the film starts off really slow, and it's story is very predictable, by the numbers script, and T'Challa is one of the weakest aspect of the film. They actually still liked it though despite of those things.

Having seen the film doesn't mean they aren't trolling...And how many of these "legit' people are you measuring against the number of critical reactions? You've seen NO reactions that share the critics opinions? If you are talking about a couple of folks only, then it's kind of reaching to make the comparison between audience and critics at this point even if most of us end up agreeing with them in the long run.

Last edited:

Only time will tell to be honest.

I have seen people claim that Logan was not a good movie and that it was dull and when I watched it, it turned out to be my favourite cbm of last year. I guess the fact that characters were not throwing quips every mins or the fact that T'Challa is a serious character threw them off.

Heard the same with Winter Soldier years ago being overrated and look how that turned out to be.

The only opinion you can trust is yourself.

Also why does Blade Runner 2049(which I liked) get a pass for being very slow and ponderous but for BP, its a problem?

Only time will tell to be honest.

I have seen people claim that Logan was not a good movie and that it was dull and when I watched it, it turned out to be my favourite cbm of last year. I guess the fact that characters were not throwing quips every mins or the fact that T'Challa is a serious character threw them off.

Heard the same with Winter Soldier years ago being overrated and look how that turned out to be.

The only opinion you can trust is yourself.

There's your opinion and then the consensus, both critically and from audiences. Right now the critical consensus far outweighs the general audience, so I'm going to put far more legitimacy in that then anything at this point.

Nope that's just racist troll.

Even if someone seen it. Does not mean the review is legit and not bias.

Having seen the film doesn't mean they aren't trolling...And how many of these "legit' people are you measuring against the number of critical reactions? You've seen NO reactions that share the critics opinions? If you are talking about a couple of folks only, it's kind of reaching to make the comparison at this point, even if most of us end up agreeing with them in the long run.

It was more of an observation than anything else that I thought was interesting. That's pretty much it. I wasn't trying to say their reactions matter more.etc

Also why does Blade Runner 2049(which I liked) get a pass for being very slow and ponderous but for BP, its a problem?

People complained about Blade Runner being slow as well.

I said from the beginning that this could be the Batman Begins of the MCU. The thing is I wasn't a fan of Batman Begins at first. It just wasn't what I was use to and as time passed it ended up being one of my favorite cbm. I've seen people compare this movie to BB.

People complained about Blade Runner being slow as well.

I said from the beginning that this could be the Batman Begins of the MCU. The thing is I wasn't a fan of Batman Begins at first. It just wasn't what I was use to and as time passed it ended up being one of my favorite cbm. I've seen people compare this movie to BB.

I have seen youtube critics (Can't remember them) that said Civil War was boring and they preferred Justice League to it but when it came to Blade Runners 2049, they were praising it like the second coming of Christ saying the slow pace helped the film.

Not saying all critics are giving BR 2049 a pass, but you can definitely see some level of bias dorm some of them.

Where are you looking. I'm seeing the large majority of people attending the screenings and posting on boards to be very positive as well.

It was more of an observation than anything else that I thought was interesting. That's pretty much it. I wasn't trying to say their reactions matter more.etc

Fair enough. :up:

Audiences may in fact be divided from critics like with TLJ, but until a large segment of the fans actually do see it we won't know.

Some people are dead set on wanting to kill the joy others have/want to have for this film. They can f*** right off.

I have seen youtube critics (Can't remember them) that said Civil War was boring and they preferred Justice League to it but when it came to Blade Runners 2049, they were praising it like the second coming of Christ saying the slow pace helped the film.

There is no contradiction here. Them finding Civil War boring had nothing to do with the film's shot length, which is average in terms of Hollywood films, as with Justice League. As opposed to something like Blade Runner, which is deliberately edited to hold each shot three to four times longer than an average film.

Last edited:
Hey first post here. Enjoy comicbook movies but dont read much of the comics themselves. For the most part I enjoy the marvel movies but lately have been a bit disillusioned to them compared to their critical responses. While enjoyable I thought Thor Ragnarok, gotg 2, S:M Homecoming, Doctor Strange and Ant Man were all fairly average movies that got by on the strength of their lightness(humor) above anything else.

So while I've been looking forward to Black Panther, I've tried to keep my expectations in check in light of these reactions. Judging from some of the reactions, it seems the main issue is with pacing especially in the 1st half and it seems to pick up once MBJ is introduced in the 2nd half.

I feel how much you enjoy the movie will be down to how immersed and invested you are in the world building, culture and mythos of wakanda, black panther and the characters. If you don't get sold on those I can see how the 1st half can be slow/boring to some .The most encouraging thing so far I guess for me has been how much more of the reactions for this have been about the story, world and characters as opposed to the humor or simply how 'fun' it is.

Anyways seeing as this is a reaction thread thought I'd post a couple I found from letterbox of some early reactions/ratings from some critics.

Andy Hazel- Gave it 4 stars, For comparison he rated other comicbook movies as such Thor Ragnarok, Winter Soldier and Wonder Woman got 3.5, Doctor Strange and Deadpool 3stars, and Civil War and GOTG1 got 2.5 each. His reaction:

"Black Panther feels like no other film of this scale and scope. Watching this, one word kept coming into my head. New. This film’s mix of Wachowski-esque sci-fi, social realism and action thriller film feels so bold and exciting that it makes every other superhero movie seem even more formulaic than they usually are. It feels too big and too important to be a Marvel film."

BeHaind- A german(?) critic who doesnt seem to be a big fan of comicbook movies gave it 3 stars which was the lowest I found there. For comparison his other rating were Thor Ragnarok 2.5 stars, Civil War, Doctor Strange, Avengers1 and Wonder Woman 2stars each, S:M Homecoming and Ant Man 1.5 stars, in fact only movies rated higher than 3 are Winter Soldier, Dark Knight and GOTG 1 which are all 4 stars while Logan is 4.5 stars for him.

The best I could get from translating his reaction is that the movie is overly inflated but still okay. And that he is getting tired/jaded of Marvel movies.

There are other reactions there that are positive but I only enlisted these two not because theirs mattered more than the others but mainly as a different point of view from people who don't seem to be big fans of the genre giving it somewhat positive reactions which is encouraging.

Last edited:
Thanks beenie for the info.

Hope you stick around.

(Us username123's have to stick together, lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"