Black Panther Comics to Read

I read it all today, but I'm waiting to read Doomwar before reviewing. I was thinking about skipping Man Without Fear and Most Dangerous Man Alive unless people strongly recommend that I read it.

I read it all today, but I'm waiting to read Doomwar before reviewing. I was thinking about skipping Man Without Fear and Most Dangerous Man Alive unless people strongly recommend that I read it.

Don't skip Man without fear and Most Dangerous Man Alive. They are one of the best arcs in the modern age of the marvel universe despite the silly premise.

Doomwar however is a series I have a love and hate relationship with. The comic is visually awesome from the art and all the use of technology in the story arc was really cool to see especially the Wakandan soldiers with the glowing logo on them. However the way some parts of the story was executed was disappointing and the ending was a big let down

You might like it

Yeah, it was OK. Not really what I was expecting. All told, it weighs down Volume 5 a bit, which I thought before then was more consistent than 4. I'm liking Shuri a lot better than before. She's a strong, interesting character who is certainly not without flaws. She gives a different perspective than T'Challa. But with essentially two arcs, it's hard to really judge.

Panther's Rage
Black Panther Vol. 3 (Priest issues, pre-Casper Cole)
Panther's Quest
Black Panther Vol. 4 (Hudlin)
Black Panther v. KKK (McGregor issues)
Black Panther Vol. 5/Doomwar (Hudlin/Maberry)
Black Panther Vol. 2 (Gillis Mini-Series)
Panther's Prey
Jack Kirby's Black Panther series
Black Panther v. KKK (Ed Hannigan/Marvel Premiere Issues)

I just finished Volume 4 (Hudlin's first run + See Wakanda and Die). I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Is it as good at is best as Priest was? No. I don't think so. And at times, to say it lacks subtlety is an understatement. Plus, the horny sex humor is pretty cringe-worthy.

That being said, I think it's a lot of fun. It starts off pretty rough with the rebooted continuity but, as it slowly slides into the mainstream Marvel universe (pretty much incorporating what had happened before), it gets better. It's more comic booky than Priest's run, imo, and uses a lot of more crazy ideas. But, while it will always inevitably be compared to Volume 3, I think you can tell by reading it that it appreciates what came before. Priest's influences are felt throughout Volume 4.

It was also better incorporated in the Marvel Universe. The tie-in to Civil War was one of my favorite Civil War tie-ins. See Wakanda and Die (I know, not Hudlin) is just awesome. I thought Storm was used well as well. My biggest complaint (aside from the lack of subtlety and the juvenile sex stuff) was that Cannibal was a wasted concept. That character really could have been interesting, but didn't really pan out (besides as a build-up to Secret Invasion).

Overall, my rankings now are:

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Panther's Prey

To each their own. I really hate Hudlin's run, but far be it from me to tell people what to like.

You don't want to skip it. Man Without Fear/Most Dangerous Man Alive is very good despite the premise like Dboi said. Liss really did a great job there, and if you like Daredevil you'll probably like that run as well.

I expected to hate it more too, particularly with how it started, but I thought it was solid throughout. Maybe I'd put Black Panther vs. KKK above it, but that one is always weakened by the lack of a McGregor ending (and the ending that came later nearly retroactively ruins the journey).

I expected to hate it more too, particularly with how it started, but I thought it was solid throughout. Maybe I'd put Black Panther vs. KKK above it, but that one is always weakened by the lack of a McGregor ending (and the ending that came later nearly retroactively ruins the journey).

As I said, when it comes to Hudlin's run people should read it for themselves. Those that don't like it tend to overstate the problems with the run and make it seem as if they're the worst comics ever written. At the same time many of the people who enjoy it overlook some of the obvious flaws that are there.

If you were going to skip any Black Panther story it'd be Doomwar. Man Without Fear and Most Dangerous Man alive are actually very well done. It's just that he entire premise behind him being in Hell's Kitchen is flimsier than a cardboard bridge in the rain.

With Doomwar it's not a coincidence that every writer since that story has done their best to ignore it.

With Doomwar it's not a coincidence that every writer since that story has done their best to ignore it.

So true. Doomwar has its (very few) moments but man, it was such an underwhelming story. A waste, imo. As Mike mentioned, it really drags down what was an overall pretty good Vol. 5.

Just read Black Panther: The Man Without Fear. The name and numbering choice is probably what turned me off when I first saw it. Was this Black Panther? Was it Daredevil? I think the answer is it's a bit of both, but never in a way that truly works. I don't think it achieved its premise of T'Challa finding himself (and I'm not convinced the story left off in Doomwar in a way that truly required him to do so anyway). Still, I like the first story arc and the villain, Vlad. After that, I think it falls apart, frankly, which lowers its score. I put it just below the Jungle Action issues with the Klan, but certainly above Vol. 5 and Doomwar.

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Black Panther: The Man Without Fear
Panther's Prey

Just read Black Panther: The Man Without Fear. The name and numbering choice is probably what turned me off when I first saw it. Was this Black Panther? Was it Daredevil? I think the answer is it's a bit of both, but never in a way that truly works. I don't think it achieved its premise of T'Challa finding himself (and I'm not convinced the story left off in Doomwar in a way that truly required him to do so anyway). Still, I like the first story arc and the villain, Vlad. After that, I think it falls apart, frankly, which lowers its score. I put it just below the Jungle Action issues with the Klan, but certainly above Vol. 5 and Doomwar.

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Panther's Prey

This is the criticism that is levied against that run more than any other. The premise was flimsy as all hell. It made no sense for T'Challa to isolate himself in Hell Kitchen and go undercover in some attempt to "prove himself". It might have worked if it was some trial given to him by the Panther god or the tribal council, but it was just some weird thing he came up with on his own.

Yeah. On top of that, it made him seem selfish as everyone was offering him help. I thought maybe it would end with a "finding the value of friends" thing or something, but I can't say it did that either. Overall, it made T'Challa less the master strategist than I'm used to. He was play-acting as Daredevil. But I still liked the first story. I just didn't like the Kraven story (and the conclusion was OK, not great).

Anyway, I finished Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive. I was wondering why it was split like that and, after reading it, I'm still wondering that. If anything, this was more Daredevil than the last story. It included some of my favorite villains. I just didn't think it portrayed them accurately. Lady Bullseye and Typhoid Mary were a fun girl-power duo throughout, but I can't say they were Lady Bullseye and Typhoid Mary. The first story's villain (won't spoil, but he was exactly who I figured he'd be) seemed to lack subtlety as well.

But the story's a quick read. It's enjoyable. Towards the end, you start to see T'Challa be T'Challa again. I think I'd rate it at pretty much the same. Since I already rated one, I won't combine them, but I could easily have. Man without Fear had better highs but lower lows, this story was pretty even-keel throughout. I'm looking forward to Volume 6 when it comes out.

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive
Panther's Prey

This is the criticism that is levied against that run more than any other. The premise was flimsy as all hell. It made no sense for T'Challa to isolate himself in Hell Kitchen and go undercover in some attempt to "prove himself". It might have worked if it was some trial given to him by the Panther god or the tribal council, but it was just some weird thing he came up with on his own.

That's why I'd love to see what Liss would do with T'Challa in Wakanda without the stupid premise. I have a feeling that Marvel editorial basically had that idea in mind and picked Liss to do it rather than him coming up with that premise himself, and I think he'd do great with a Wakanda solo. Of course I'm giving Coates a chance to write something nice, but I still hope that sometime in the future Liss could come back and do something with T'Challa. I think he really got down T'Challa's brilliance and tactics down very well despite the setting.

I got Volume 1 of the Priest run for Christmas, and I can now safely say it's every bit as amazing as everyone says it is. I also have the first Volume of Man Without Fear. I agree with most of the flaws mentioned here, but those aside I enjoyed the story with Vlad.

Hopefully Priest gets involved with the movie somehow.

The new Panther series was just solicited today for April. I am hyped!

Will he still be tied to various gods or just the herb as his power source?

He was only ever tied to Bast/The Panther God.

He gets his additional powers from Bast and he forms that connection by eating the heart shaped herb. It's one of the more interesting aspects of the Panther mythos so I doubt Coates would get rid of that. I don't see him exploring it but getting rid of it all together would be a bad idea.

From the sounds of the solicits it's look like Coats is going to change Wakandas political structure. Not sure how I feel about that, I hope he's not going ot remove T'Challa as King, that never really goes over well with fans.

He gets his additional powers from Bast and he forms that connection by eating the heart shaped herb. It's one of the more interesting aspects of the Panther mythos so I doubt Coates would get rid of that. I don't see him exploring it but getting rid of it all together would be a bad idea.

From the sounds of the solicits it's look like Coats is going to change Wakandas political structure. Not sure how I feel about that, I hope he's not going ot remove T'Challa as King, that never really goes over well with fans.

Thanks! I've always preferred Kirby's take on his origin from FF4. I could never get into the god stuff.

blap2016001-coipelvar-166093.jpg

blap2016001-felipesmith-166095.jpg

I liked how Priest set it up to where the king of Wakanda was always going to be from the lineage in T'Challa's family, but the chieftain of the Panther clan could be earned by anyone else. That way the Black Panther and the king of Wakanda would be separate titles, and the people of Wakanda respect the Black Panther title more because it's earned. I would love to see that explored more, and to see how other clans would try and vie for their chieftain to be more respected like the Panther clan. That way we could see the Lion cult, or any other clans, have their avatar/chieftain trying to eradicate the Panther clan to take over Wakanda and rule the council.

I liked how Priest set it up to where the king of Wakanda was always going to be from the lineage in T'Challa's family, but the chieftain of the Panther clan could be earned by anyone else. That way the Black Panther and the king of Wakanda would be separate titles, and the people of Wakanda respect the Black Panther title more because it's earned. I would love to see that explored more, and to see how other clans would try and vie for their chieftain to be more respected like the Panther clan. That way we could see the Lion cult, or any other clans, have their avatar/chieftain trying to eradicate the Panther clan to take over Wakanda and rule the council.

There's so much to that could be explored within Wakanda, but writers keep insisting on dragging T'Challa outside of the nation in his solo book.

The various clans of Wakanda need to be fleshed out. I'd also like to see more stories about previous Black Panthers. The bits and pieces we've been shown so far have all been interesting.

I don't know about doing away with the monarchy, but I'll admit I've always shared the same unease. Certainly, it's an intriguing thing to explore. And it doesn't mean the conflict necessarily comes from democratic forces. Ethiopia was brought up as a parallel. Haile Selassie's reign was replaced by the Derg, which was a Communist junta.

Ugh, it's looking more and more like he plans on making significant changes to Wakanda that ends with the monarchy being done away with. That's never been something that's gone over well with fans....

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and hope that he doesn't go that route. Since he's read Priest I hope he goes the way of having the Black Panther and title of King of Wakanda separate since that was something touched upon.

That doesn't necessarily solve the problem, though. It helps remedy it slightly in that T'Challa can still be Black Panther without a monarchy, but it doesn't raise the problem inherent in a ruling monarchy.

In fact, I would guess Priest's run was probably the biggest inspiration for this storyline. During his run, there was at least a hint of a Parliamentary-style system. Then T'Challa dissolved it with one absolute decree (something that helped contribute to world economic collapse). That's the tension in Wakanda. It's an absolute monarchy even if it might have pretenses of liberal democracy.

Keep in mind that a lot of this has to do with the evolution of what is Wakanda over the years. You look at Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's version, I would argue that Wakanda was not advanced for centuries. The very clear implication was it was a primitive African tribe with one valuable resource and, after the death of T'Chaka, T'Challa single-handedly reshaped the country by using that resource and western education and money. All the other nuances came later. The idea that Wakanda was advanced for centuries because it was never touched by imperialism didn't even come until Reginald Hudlin, imo.

Black_Panther_2.jpg

The Fall of Wakanda In BLACK PANTHER
by Chris Arrant, Editor

More has been learned about the upcoming Black Panther ongoing series by Ta-Nehesi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze. As seen in this cover to May's Black Panther #2 by Stelfreeze and colorist Laura Martin, Wakanda will be in the midst of a full scale revolt by its citizens against T'Challa and the ruling elite. And the revolt is led by some of T'Challa's most trusted allies.

"The darkest chapter of the Black Panther mythos continues as Wakanda crumbles from within. Enter: The Midnight Angels!" reads the second issue's description. "Two mysterious women leading the citizen revolt against the current regime of Wakanda, challenging not only T’Challa’s politics but also his resolve. But will their rage provide more for the people than the royal family has thus far? Written by MacArthur Genius and National Book Award winner TA-NEHISI COATES (Between the World and Me) and illustrated by living legend BRIAN STELFREEZE!"

The Midnight Angels, also known as the Dora Milaje, were established in previous issues to be the personal bodyguards of the Black Panther. They are a elite subdivision of the Dora Milaje, used akin to the U.S. Navy Seals for special missions.

http://www.newsarama.com/27861-the-fall-of-wakanda-in-black-panther.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"