Black Panther Comics to Read

I can only judge based on the BET cartoon, but I suspect it's pretty authentic to Who Is the Black Panther, but there's an interesting retcon somewhere between Panther's Rage and then. As portrayed in the Fantastic Four and incorporated into Jungle Action, Wakanda is not some secret super advanced nation. Instead, T'Challah made it the very modern (although not necessarily more advanced) nation by selling vibranium and getting a western education. In other words, it's a very recent thing.

I think that's changed, but this tension between antiquity and modernity is an interesting theme in Panther's Rage that I think has been lost a bit.

I hate Hudlin's run, but one thing he did do nicely was make Wakanda technologically advanced from the start. Priest's run sort of establishes Wakanda as being a little bit technologically ahead, but it still relies on the older comics that had T'Challa bring them into the tech world. He basically didn't wipe away the history established in Panther's Rage, but kinda made it work with Stan and Kirby's vision in the Fantastic Four.

One thing Hudlin did right was make Wakanda ahead of the curve from the get go. It explained how they were sitting on top of one of the only resources of Wakanda without being conquered.

I can only judge based on the BET cartoon, but I suspect it's pretty authentic to Who Is the Black Panther, but there's an interesting retcon somewhere between Panther's Rage and then. As portrayed in the Fantastic Four and incorporated into Jungle Action, Wakanda is not some secret super advanced nation. Instead, T'Challah made it the very modern (although not necessarily more advanced) nation by selling vibranium and getting a western education. In other words, it's a very recent thing.

I think that's changed, but this tension between antiquity and modernity is an interesting theme in Panther's Rage that I think has been lost a bit.

This aspect was retained but it certainly wasn't played up as much during Hudlin's run until the relaunch of the title.

it should be noted also that every single person who's written Black Panther has retconned something. Priest tried to tie everything together but even he added a lot stuff that wasn't previously there.

I think every writer has added something great to the mythology overall, even if not everyone can agree on how well it was executed.

I hate Hudlin's run, but one thing he did do nicely was make Wakanda technologically advanced from the start. Priest's run sort of establishes Wakanda as being a little bit technologically ahead, but it still relies on the older comics that had T'Challa bring them into the tech world. He basically didn't wipe away the history established in Panther's Rage, but kinda made it work with Stan and Kirby's vision in the Fantastic Four.

One thing Hudlin did right was make Wakanda ahead of the curve from the get go. It explained how they were sitting on top of one of the only resources of Wakanda without being conquered.

The problem* is that Hudlin went too far in the other direction, going well beyond the level of civilization needed to avoid being conquered and colonized. You don't need to be Coruscant to hold off 19th century European expeditions, and if you are, it opens up a mountain of new plot holes and reader sympathy issues.

*Well, one of many, starting with "absolutely everybody in the setting is racist to the point of caricature, either deliberately or via unintended implications."

I will say that "Say Wakanda and Die" is an awesome issue, all of those concerns aside. It's kind of a Frank Underwood (or Columbo) thing where you know the guy is going to win and it's just about finding out how.

I will say that "Say Wakanda and Die" is an awesome issue, all of those concerns aside. It's kind of a Frank Underwood (or Columbo) thing where you know the guy is going to win and it's just about finding out how.

Jason Aaron wrote that arc.

Woops, fair enough. Although I was also talking about the "avoid being conquered" part.

I already got my copy pre-ordered at Amazon.

BTW, I just read Panther's Quest. It's pretty good, although it's extremely difficult to track down due to the format (buried in Marvel Comics Presents over many, many issues). The format also adds some pacing problems with a cliffhanger after about eight pages. But I think the story (when read all together) holds up pretty well as an exploration of Apartheid South Africa mixed with an adventure story of a personal quest of T'Challa trying to find his mother.

BTW, I just read Panther's Quest. It's pretty good, although it's extremely difficult to track down due to the format (buried in Marvel Comics Presents over many, many issues). The format also adds some pacing problems with a cliffhanger after about eight pages. But I think the story (when read all together) holds up pretty well as an exploration of Apartheid South Africa mixed with an adventure story of a personal quest of T'Challa trying to find his mother.

One of these days they should collect it in trade for when the Black Panther movie comes out. Next thing for you is to finish up the McGregor trilogy in Panther's Prey. If you enjoyed Jungle Action and Panther's Quest like you have then you'll probably end up enjoying Panther's Prey the same.

Yep. Well, the next step was to finish Jack Kirby's run (I couldn't bring myself to read it). Well, I went through issue 10. I suppose I could finish it. As problematic as his Wakanda stuff is (e.g., the Black Musketeers), I like it better than what came before. Supposedly he gets telepathic powers or something like that going forward.

I wouldn't mind reading Black Panther Vol. 2 first. The goal is to read through all this by the time the movie hits, so I got some time.

From the New York Times:

Ta-Nehisi Coates to Write Black Panther Comic for Marvel

image.jpg

The cover of Black Panther No. 1, to be published next year, drawn by Brian Stelfreeze.

MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT
By GEORGE GENE GUSTINES
SEPTEMBER 22, 2015

Ta-Nehisi Coates can be identified in many ways: as a national correspondent for The Atlantic, as an author and, as of this month, as a nominee for the National Book Award’s nonfiction prize. But Mr. Coates also has a not-so-secret identity, as evidenced by some of his Atlantic blog posts and his Twitter feed: Marvel Comics superfan.

So it seems only natural that Marvel has asked Mr. Coates to take on a new Black Panther series set to begin next spring. Writing for that comics publisher is a childhood dream that, despite the seeming incongruity, came about thanks to his day job. “The Atlantic is a pretty diverse place in terms of interest, but there are no comics nerds,” besides himself, Mr. Coates said in an interview.

His passions intersected in May, during the magazine’s New York Ideas seminar, he interviewed Sana Amanat, a Marvel editor, about diversity and inclusion in comic books. Ms. Amanat led the creation of the new Ms. Marvel, a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City, based on some of her own childhood experiences.

“It was a fruitful discussion,” he recalled.

image.jpg

Ta-Nehisi Coates
GABRIELLA DEMCZUK FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES

After that event, Marvel reached out, paired Mr. Coates with an editor, and discussions about the comic began. The renewed focus on Black Panther is no surprise. Created in 1966, he is the first black superhero and hails from Wakanda, a fictional African country.

“He has the baddest costume in comics and is a dude who is smarter and better than everyone,” said Axel Alonso, the editor in chief of Marvel. The character not only adds to the diversity of Marvel’s comics; he will do it for their films too: Black Panther is set to make his big-screen debut next year in “Captain America: Civil War,” followed by a solo feature in 2018.

At first glance, it may seem odd for Mr. Coates to write a mainstream superhero comic. He has been lauded for his book “Between the World and Me,” a passionate letter to his son on being black in America. But he does not see anything odd about it. “I don’t experience the stuff I write about as weighty,” he said. “I feel a strong need to express something. The writing usually lifts the weight. I expect to be doing the same thing for Marvel.”

“A Nation Under Our Feet,” the yearlong story line written by Mr. Coates and drawn by Brian Stelfreeze, is inspired by the 2003 book of the same title by Steven Hahn. It will find the hero dealing with a violent uprising in his country set off by a superhuman terrorist group called the People. “It’s going to be a story that repositions the Black Panther in the minds of readers,” Mr. Alonso said. “It really moves him forward.”

image.jpg

A variant cover of the first issue, also drawn by Brian Stelfreeze, inspired by Jay Z's "The Black Album."
MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT

Mr. Coates’s enthusiasm for Marvel started when he was a boy. Marvel was “an intimate part of my childhood and, at this point, part of my adulthood,” he said. “It was mostly through pop culture, through hip-hop, through Dungeons & Dragons and comic books that I acquired much of my vocabulary.”

Mr. Coates, 39, began reading comics in the mid-1980s and was introduced to three minority characters: Storm, the leader of the X-Men; Monica Rambeau, who had taken on the name Captain Marvel; and James Rhodes, who was Iron Man. “They were obviously black,” he recalled, but it was not made into a big deal. Still, he said: “I’m sure it meant something to see people who looked like me in comic books. It was this beautiful place that I felt pop culture should look like.”

Diversity — in characters and creators — is a drumbeat to which the comic book industry is increasingly trying to march. Marvel recently announced the December start of “The Totally Awesome Hulk,” whose title character is Amadeus Cho, a genius Korean-American scientist who will find himself transforming into that emerald behemoth. The book is written by Greg Pak and drawn by Frank Cho, both of whom are Korean-American. (“My wife is Korean, so I scored massive points,” Mr. Alonso said.)

Over at DC, Cyborg, who is black, is starring in his own series (and a film in 2020), and Beth Ross is the first female (and teenage) commander in chief in the biting satire “Prez.” This month Image Comics released “Virgil,” a graphic novel by Steve Orlando and J. D. Faith, about a black, gay cop in the not-so-inclusive Kingston, in Jamaica. “Showing different faces under the masks is very important for everyone,” Mr. Alonso said.

But it all begins with the quality of the story, and Mr. Coates is ecstatic for the challenge. This writing assignment was not about “trying to please 12-year-old me,” he said. Another inspiration, he added, is the work of Jonathan Hickman on “Secret Wars” and “the depth he’s able to get from characters.”

“You don’t come in off the board and come in at that level,” he said of Mr. Hickman’s work. “But it helps to want it to be great. I want to make a great comic. I really, really do.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/2...-panther-comic-for-marvel.html?referrer=&_r=0

Forgot to post Marvel's official announcement of the new Black Panther comic in this thread:

Black_Panther_7.jpg

Ta-Nehisi Coates Takes on Black Panther

The acclaimed writer teams with artist Brian Stelfreeze on an all-new direction for T'Challa!

Marvel is excited to announce that next spring, one of the most thought-provoking and perceptive writers today, Ta-Nehisi Coates (“Between the World and Me”), along with legendary artist Brian Stelfreeze will helm a new BLACK PANTHER series, adding an exciting, erudite new voice to the All-New, All–Different Marvel lineup.

The indomitable will of Wakanda—the famed African nation known for its vast wealth, advanced technology, and warrior traditions—has long been reflected in the will of its monarchs, the Black Panthers. But now, the current Black Panther, T’Challa, finds that will tested by a superhuman terrorist group called the People that has sparked a violent uprising among the citizens of Wakanda. T’Challa knows the country must change to survive—the question is, will the Black Panther survive the change?

“Wakanda is really the light of the world, in the Marvel Universe. And yet it's a system of governance that has not advanced beyond the idea of blood-rule,” says Coates. “It’s always seemed to me that T’Challa was aware of this discrepancy. Among the monarchs of Marvel—Namor and Doctor Doom for instance—T’Challa has always been distinguished to me by his discomfort on the throne, and with the problems of one-man rule. I am very much looking forward to exploring that tension.”

That tension and conflict is what will fire BLACK PANTHER into a no-holds-barred adventure that will demonstrate why Black Panther is one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel Universe.

“Ta-Nehisi writes brilliantly about everything from race to politics to fatherhood to modern culture, but he’s also a longtime Marvel reader. And combining his writing skills with his passion for and understanding of Marvel’s characters, paired with the captivating and engaging artwork of modern master Brian Stelfreeze, has led to a truly amazing story that we can’t wait for the world to read,” says Wil Moss, editor of the new BLACK PANTHER series. “This story will have all the political intrigue of the best episodes of 'The West Wing' and 'Homeland,' but it’s also going to have the trademark Marvel action and energy that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby—Black Panther’s creators!—built into the foundation of the Marvel Universe. Look for some fun and unexpected Marvel villains to show up in this story, as well as an appearance or two by T’Challa’s new teammates, the Ultimates.”

Join us next year as Marvel continues to change the creative landscape of the comic book industry when Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze make history as the new creative team on Marvel Comics’ BLACK PANTHER.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/25144/ta-nehisi_coates_takes_on_black_panther?linkId=17266551[/QUOTE]

I hope it turns out good though I'm a little worried that he hasn't done any fictional writing before.

image.jpg

BLACK PANTHER GETS AN ALL-STAR TEAM IN 2016

Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze speak on their huge plans for the King of Wakanda!

Last week, the comics world exploded with the news of Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze being added to the All-New, All-Different roster as they take the creative helm behind BLACK PANTHER in 2016.

A National Book Award nominee and recent MacArthur Genius Grant recipient, Coates will make his comic writing debut learning the ropes from veteran artist Stelfreeze and Marvel editor Wil Moss. Without a doubt, this marks one of many instances where Marvel looks to expand its pool of creative talents and stories.
We took some time to talk with both Coates and Stelfreeze about their upcoming collaboration, what it means to them to be working on BLACK PANTHER, and what they think it will mean for readers worldwide.

Marvel.com: Ever since the notice went out about both of you being announced as the creative team behind the All-New, All-Different BLACK PANTHER series, there’s hardly a corner in social media that hasn’t been buzzing. What are your initial thoughts now that it’s public knowledge?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: I’m sort of shocked by it all. One thing that’s amazed me is the sheer number of people who are—evidently—closet comic book fans. I mean people who I knew and interacted with in other domains who are now tweeting me like “Can’t wait for Black Panther!” And I’m like, “Dude, aren’t you a 42-year old housing policy wonk?”
I shouldn’t be surprised though. Comics have long had that kind of reach.

Brian Stelfreeze: I was crazy excited about the project from the moment I signed up, and it’s great to feel that sentiment reflected by the fans.* Black Panther fans tend to be passionate but quiet, and it takes an announcement like this to get them really making some noise. Even my mom called to congratulate me, and that’s a first.

Marvel.com: Now, I understand the offer to steer BLACK PANTHER resulted from your discussion with Marvel’s Sana Amanat. Can you share some of the details of that discussion?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: My conversation with Sana was short. I expressed some interest in pitching, but I wasn’t even sure she heard me, thinking about it now. We didn’t even talk that long about it. But clearly she heard me—or she had thoughts herself.

Marvel.com: Brian, likewise, how exactly did you come on board to work on the series?

Brian Stelfreeze: I’ve worked with editor Wil Moss before, and I’d recently finished the Black Panther hip-hop variant [cover]. The moment I finished the cover, he sent me an email to ask about my availability for a “special project.” Of course I was absolutely blown away when he mentioned it was BLACK PANTHER, and it went from a consideration to a necessity when he mentioned the writer.

Marvel.com: Brian, you are absolutely no stranger to comics having been an artist in the industry for decades and worked on a variety of series with a host of companies and professionals. Can you talk a little bit about working with Ta-Nehisi on his first comics writing project?

Brian Stelfreeze: I’m always a little nervous when someone comes from other media into writing comics. It’s a unique storytelling form and it requires both talent and respect. My nervousness dissolved when I received Ta-Nehisi’s story outline. It turns out he’s a true fan boy with a willingness to explore the depth and breadth of both the character and his world. His lack of time in the industry also gives him a lack of limitations, and I’m taking great joy in acting as a flashlight to illuminate the path for him and the readers.

Marvel.com: Similarly, Ta-Nehisi, what’s it like working alongside one of the best in the business, like Brian?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: To be honest, I’m just looking forward to learning from Brian. And I mean that. I’ve never done this before. Obviously I’m writing. But in terms of how you tell a story panel-for-panel is all new to me. I took this gig—above all—because I thought it would make me a better writer. And I really look forward to taking notes on that from Brian. He is an artist, but the basic task of trying to communicate information, or feeling, or action is the same.

Marvel.com: Ta-Nehisi, your professional background seems to have you moving in a different trajectory than that of writing comics, between your critically acclaimed work in “The Atlantic” as well as your National Book Award-nominated nonfiction. *In what ways are your other experiences as a writer informing and aiding you in your work on BLACK PANTHER?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: Well, I’ve been storytelling all of my life. It’s true that’s it been in nonfiction for most of my professional life, but the basics of trying to think about what makes for compelling story has been my trade for awhile. I think beyond that I bring some amount of knowledge to the basic questions that must—necessarily—occupy a guy like T’Challa. Having studied history, for instance, I have some sense of the challenges that face monarchs. The key is learning to pull from that, while at the same time making sure T’Challa has people to punch. It can’t be a dissertation.

Marvel.com: Ta-Nehisi, you’ve mentioned how you’re more interested in the “interaction” between the reader and his or her imagination in the comics medium. I’m curious how both of you—especially you, Brian!—will be utilizing the medium to differentiate BLACK PANTHER from other Marvel titles and make this comic a “must read” experience for fans?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: Oh man this is so hard to answer without giving anything away. I think what I can say is T’Challa will be immediately challenged and readers will see him pull from his best self to attempt to overcome. Ugh. I know that’s vague. I’m trying make sure plot doesn’t start spilling out my mouth.

Brian Stelfreeze: Ta-Nehisi’s rhythm of storytelling is very different, and I like having to create new tools to capture those beats. This is not going to be a meat and potato comic book series, and I think the readers will enjoy the taste of something new.

Marvel.com: Brian, what about this series has you excited from an artistic standpoint? Are there new challenges you are finding in telling T’Challa’s story and depicting his life in Wakanda?

Brian Stelfreeze:I think an artist’s best work comes from when they are challenged and this series is filled with sweet challenges. Some aspects of what we know about both Black Panther and the nation of Wakanda are defined while others are under developed.* I think of it not so much as world building but bridge building.

Marvel.com: Ta-Nehisi, we see the first arc is going to deal with T’Challa as the ruler of Wakanda and how he deals with a violent rebellion. In some regards, it does seem interesting that someone who is the monarch of a country would carry on a public pursuit of being a super hero. Wouldn’t these two roles be at odds with one another, with one being responsible for representing the law and maintaining order throughout it while the other often circumvents the law though achieving the greater good?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: Yes it does. That’s all I can say. [Laughs]

Marvel.com: Fair enough! As of late, there have been increased concerns about the level of diversity not just in terms of the characters in comics but also that of the creative teams. Do you see the work you’re about to embark upon as significant in this regard?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: I do, but as a creator, it’s very hard to think that way for me. I just want to make a great book. If the book is awful, diversity will be irrelevant. I need this to be great, first and foremost.

Brian Stelfreeze: I see every project I take on as significant, and I try to pour a life time of experience into it. Those life experiences may inform me in unique ways in regards to Black Panther. I try to place what I creatively have to say above who I am.

Marvel.com: Already, there are many fans and commentators voicing a number of high expectations for this series. However, as storytellers—be it through writing or art—what are your expectations for yourselves as you work on BLACK PANTHER? What do you each hope to accomplish in your work on this title?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: Greatness. It’s always the standard. Of course you don’t always get there, but it is the standard. It just has to be.

Brian Stelfreeze: There is a profound gap between meeting a person and knowing a person and that holds true for the difference between visiting and residing. I want people to feel that they have bridged that gap by the end of the series. Ta-Nehisi’s story will make the reader a resident of Wakanda.

Marvel.com: How do you think you’ll know if you’ve achieved those goals or met those expectations?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: I think I’ll feel it. I think I’ll be satisfied, Brian will be satisfied, Wil will be satisfied and Marvel will be. And I think readers will be pleased.

Brian Stelfreeze: Currently, all conversations about Black Panther deal with him as an idol. I’ll know we will be successful when I have my first conversation about T’Challa as a man.

Marvel.com: The saying goes that if fans want diversity, they need to support diversity with their monetary votes. Aside from helping get another title published, what are some of the longer-term effects of fans supporting a comic like BLACK PANTHER?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: It’s hard for me to answer that. Again, I’m really focused on making the book itself. I probably can answer this in a year.

Brian Stelfreeze: I think diversity for diversity sake is low goal setting. The fans should not only demand diversity they should also demand greatness. Please hold us to this task.

Marvel.com: You’ve both been incredibly generous with your time, so one last question: For someone on the fence as to whether or not this series is worth buying, how would you convince them to give it a shot?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: Great hero. Great story. Great art. ‘Nuff said.

Brian Stelfreeze: ‘Nuff said.

Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze join BLACK PANTHER on the prowl in 2016!

http://marvel.com/news/comics/25190/black_panther_gets_an_all-star_team_in_2016?linkId=17482233

I've finally read most of the work before Chris Priest. To clarify what I mean, I've read Jack Kirby, Don McGregor (Panther's Rage, Panther v. the KKK, Panther's Quest, and Panther's Prey), the conclusion to Panther v. KKK, and now I've finally read Black Panther vol. 2. The story is pretty similar to Panther's Quest, which I like slightly better (the format of Marvel Comics Presents notwithstanding). Basically, both are shots at apartheid. But Panther's Quest actually sends T'Challa to South Africa and addresses these things head on (although, ultimately, being unable to change anything and the story ends on a more human note). Vol. 2 seems to avoid the controversy by taking place in a fictional country of Azania.

But was it fictional? As I was searching for reviews, I noticed a lot of results kept coming up for non-comic sources even when I added Azania. Turns out Azania was a Black African name for those who advocated the end of the South African regime. Given the use of "apartheid" and "kaffir" in the story, it's possibly the least subtle disguised name ever. Since the story ends with the government regime collapsing, I can see why that tiny little change was necessary, but I'll give them credit for still hitting some hard (although not very subtle) shots at the South African government.

The other big thing about the story is the supernatural elements. The Panther god is personified in a way I'm not really used to. But I like the crisis of faith that goes throughout the story nonetheless.

Overall, I'd say it's a somewhat uneven but still very enjoyable story. I guess Priest is next!

Damn, Murdock. You're really breezing through the Panther. Which of the runs did you like best? If it's McGregor which of his did you like best out of Jungle Action, Panther's Quest, and Panther's Prey?

McGregor - Jungle Action, but specifically Panther's Rage. I think that story is among the best of all time. If I had to rank everything, I would go:

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Black Panther v. KKK (McGregor issues)
Black Panther Vol. 2 (Gillis Mini-Series)
Panther's Prey
Jack Kirby's Black Panther series
Black Panther v. KKK (Ed Hannigan/Marvel Premiere Issues)

I can go into more detail if you'd like.

Last edited:
I wish Panther's Rage got more respect among fans.

I think that Panther's Rage may get more respect as people start to discover T'Challa through the movie. I'm thinking that Marvel is going to reprint it, and hopefully the Panther's Quest issues too.

I wish Panther's Rage got more respect among fans.

I think it does get a fair share of respect among Black Panther fans, but Priest run is so definitive it kinda overshadows everything else.

I also know that a fair number of readers take issue with how brutalized T'Challa is throughout the story. People that are necessarily Black Panther fans definitely sleep on that story though.

If I had to pick a Black Panther story that was the most underrated and overlooked it'd be the 4 issue limited series by Gillis and Cowan from the 80's.

Yeah, I described it as Black Panther Vol. 2. I've edited my list to reflect that. I also realize I forgot to add Panther's Prey, so I've done so. Gillis's story isn't my favorite, but I'd put it above Panther's Prey and I love McGregor's work overall. That being said, it's all but forgotten, which is a shame. There's Black Panther work that deserves to be forgotten, but that's not one.

Interesting to see the 88 series ranked better than Panther's Prey. For me Panther's Prey ranks up there right behind Priest and Jungle Action. I really wish that McGregor would have had more time to not only do that, but to also do the Panther's Vows story where he got married to Monica. That would have been interesting to see.

But with Panther's Prey I think that it takes some getting used to because it can get a bit overloaded with dialogue. When I read it the first time I liked it, but the second time around I loved it a lot more. Solomon Prey should really come back at some point in time. He was a cool villain.

There are good moments with Panther's Prey, but it has two big flaws, imo. One, it's a bit bloated. I think McGregor is someone who needs to be reigned in slightly. He can't just be allowed to let his comics sprawl indefinitely. Second, I don't think it really knew what it wanted to be. The purpose of the story was apparently the marriage, but that comes in halfway through and only has a little bit of setup. The story with Solomon Prey starts off strong but ends rather anticlimactically. The female he's with is set up as a mystery but revealed so nonchalantly it's hard to know if something was missed. The drug story is good, but it never seems fully realized because there's so many distractions.

I like the story a lot, but it's certainly very flawed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"