Black Panther Comics to Read

Panther's Prey probably should have been a couple of issues longer. I think that would have helped with some of that. I would love it if someone brought back Solomon Prey. He is a very interesting character. The story that Coates is setting up could reasonably have Prey behind it all. If I get a no-prize in the mail for this I'm framing that ****!

I think it does get a fair share of respect among Black Panther fans, but Priest run is so definitive it kinda overshadows everything else.

I also know that a fair number of readers take issue with how brutalized T'Challa is throughout the story. People that are necessarily Black Panther fans definitely sleep on that story though.

If I had to pick a Black Panther story that was the most underrated and overlooked it'd be the 4 issue limited series by Gillis and Cowan from the 80's.

Yeah it's really great but I think people overlook it because it was before they'd established the whole tech/science aspect of the character. It seems jarring because he's basically a black Daredevil at that point.

The good thing is it'll likely get a reprint for the movie.

That's not entirely true. Some of the technology was there from the beginning (the Fantastic Four issues). Wakanda was always a technologically advanced nation. I think McGregor just thought it cut away from the plot and making the character struggle to overcome adversity.

ALL of the tech was there in the first FF issue - #52 - and his appearances in Suspense with Cap - he even sent an airship to pick up Cap that was as advanced as anything Tony Stark had built...great stuff

BTW, since I've read through Priest's run all the way up to the Casper Cole stuff, I figure I should give a mini-review.

It's not my favorite, but it's not hard to see why this series is so popular. It's smart, well-written, and intriguing. It was more widely available (I bet far more people have read it than read Panther's Rage). It's basically full of very intricately-woven plots involving many people and usually a big conspiracy. Often, it uses very intricate political science and economic theory as the weapons. But, even when you don't understand the details (sometimes I feel like I need a glossary of all the quasi-governments and governmental agencies used), it still has a very slick, badass feel.

On the other hand, and I know this will be controversial, I don't really like Everett K. Ross. As a side character, he's fine, but the comic often came off as Everett K. Ross featuring the Black Panther. I think this was done for a second reason: T'Challa is a little too invincible. He's so smart, so well-prepared, and so technologically superior that his enemies don't really stand a chance. There's a sort of sense of inevitability, especially early on, that he's going to win. I get the sense that the focus on Ross and the lack of chronological storytelling is a way to hide from the fact that, if it focused on the Black Panther, the issue would be over in five minutes.

My favorite issues are when that's not true. As time went on, we saw T'Challa not fully prepared, T'Challa worn down by the weight of his responsibilities, and T'Challa allowing personal pride to mess himself up. He was still the smartest man in the room, but it seemed more on even footing. That's why it's some of the middle or later issues that I like the best, as opposed to The Client, which everyone else seems to think is the best. Plus, there was a greater focus on Wakanda.

Still, my ranking so far is:

Panther's Rage
Black Panther Vol. 3 (Priest issues, pre-Casper Cole)
Panther's Quest
Black Panther v. KKK (McGregor issues)
Black Panther Vol. 2 (Gillis Mini-Series)
Panther's Prey
Jack Kirby's Black Panther series
Black Panther v. KKK (Ed Hannigan/Marvel Premiere Issues)

BTW, since I've read through Priest's run all the way up to the Casper Cole stuff, I figure I should give a mini-review.

It's not my favorite, but it's not hard to see why this series is so popular. It's smart, well-written, and intriguing. It was more widely available (I bet far more people have read it than read Panther's Rage). It's basically full of very intricately-woven plots involving many people and usually a big conspiracy. Often, it uses very intricate political science and economic theory as the weapons. But, even when you don't understand the details (sometimes I feel like I need a glossary of all the quasi-governments and governmental agencies used), it still has a very slick, badass feel.

On the other hand, and I know this will be controversial, I don't really like Everett K. Ross. As a side character, he's fine, but the comic often came off as Everett K. Ross featuring the Black Panther. I think this was done for a second reason: T'Challa is a little too invincible. He's so smart, so well-prepared, and so technologically superior that his enemies don't really stand a chance. There's a sort of sense of inevitability, especially early on, that he's going to win. I get the sense that the focus on Ross and the lack of chronological storytelling is a way to hide from the fact that, if it focused on the Black Panther, the issue would be over in five minutes.

My favorite issues are when that's not true. As time went on, we saw T'Challa not fully prepared, T'Challa worn down by the weight of his responsibilities, and T'Challa allowing personal pride to mess himself up. He was still the smartest man in the room, but it seemed more on even footing. That's why it's some of the middle or later issues that I like the best, as opposed to The Client, which everyone else seems to think is the best. Plus, there was a greater focus on Wakanda.

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Panther's Prey

Good review. Sturm Und Drang is still my favorite Black Panther story but your comments on Ross, and stories in which T'Challa doesn't appear to be invincible, are spot on imho.

I'd have to look back at which issue is which, but I recall Erik Killmonger to Storm Und Drang being the highlight for me as well.

I see why people have issues with Ross. I always liked him, but I know that some people feel as though he takes away from T'Challa. One thing you might notice with the Priest series, Murdock, is that it's fun to reread. The complexity can work against it, but it really helps it on rereads since the layers there get better to understand. It's why Sturm Und Drang is my favorite. I got what the deal was the first time, but on subsequent rereadings I started liking the politics even more due to understanding just how tense things all over the Marvel world were based on one ******* king with a few powerful friends that reluctantly have to support him if things go south. Deviant Lemuria is pretty much North Korea when you think about it.

I see why people have issues with Ross. I always liked him, but I know that some people feel as though he takes away from T'Challa. One thing you might notice with the Priest series, Murdock, is that it's fun to reread. The complexity can work against it, but it really helps it on rereads since the layers there get better to understand. It's why Sturm Und Drang is my favorite. I got what the deal was the first time, but on subsequent rereadings I started liking the politics even more due to understanding just how tense things all over the Marvel world were based on one ******* king with a few powerful friends that reluctantly have to support him if things go south. Deviant Lemuria is pretty much North Korea when you think about it.

I grew to like Ross, but it took me a while to get used to the fact that Ross is narrating practically the entire run, as well as his narration style. It's definitely an acquired taste, imho.

Because I hope as much of T'Challa's supporting cast from every run comes back, I hope Ross returns for the Coates run. However, I'm not sure if I could deal with Ross narrating the whole thing again. Plus, it would be very unnecessary, I fell.

I think that Ross served his purpose enough that he doesn't need to be in another run. If he showed up here and there every few years it would make some kind of sense, but he seems like one of those characters that fit one particular writer. A lot of the point of him really is proving doubting fans wrong. Right now everyone pretty much knows that Black Panther is a badass, so I really don't see too much of a need for Ross going forward.

image.jpg

Black Panther Prowls in April 2016

See Alex Ross' cover and hear from the editor of the upcoming series!

The day fast approaches! In April 2016, King T’Challa returns to the pages of his own ongoing series, BLACK PANTHER, written by Ta-Nehisi Coates with art by Brian Stelfreeze.

“Ta-Nehisi, Brian, colorist Laura Martin, letterer Joe Sabino, assistant editor Chris Robinson, and I have been working on this series for months already, so we’re happy to have a launch date as we’re all anxious to start getting this book out in front of people,” says series editor Wil Moss. “We may be biased, but we think it’s something pretty special!

“And what better way to celebrate the launch than with a variant cover by the legendary Alex Ross, sporting a logo designed by Rian Hughes? Alex’s art is known for making characters feel ‘real,’ which perfectly fits the tone of this series, as Ta-Nehisi and Brian are presenting a very ‘real’ take on Black Panther and Wakanda, one blended with the epic, unpredictable scope that the Marvel Universe is known for.

“So mark your calendars: King T’Challa returns in April!”

image.jpg

1 of 2 Black Panther (2016) #1 variant cover by Alex Ross

image.jpg

BLACK PANTHER #1

Written by TA-NEHISI COATES

Penciled by BRIAN STELFREEZE

Cover by BRIAN STELFREEZE

Variant Cover by ALEX ROSS

A new era for the Black Panther starts here!

Written by MacArthur Genius and National Book Award winner Ta-Nehisi Coates (“Between the World and Me”) and illustrated by living legend Brian Stelfreeze, “A Nation Under Our Feet” is a story about dramatic upheaval in Wakanda and the Black Panther’s struggle to do right by his people as their ruler.

The indomitable will of Wakanda—the famed African nation known for its vast wealth, advanced technology, and warrior traditions—has long been reflected in the will of its monarchs, the Black Panthers. *

But now the current Black Panther, T’Challa, finds that will tested by a superhuman terrorist group called the People that has sparked a violent uprising among the citizens of Wakanda. *T’Challa knows the country must change to survive—the question is, will the Black Panther survive the change?

40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
On Sale in April!

http://marvel.com/news/comics/25561/black_panther_prowls_in_april_2016#ixzz3uQOKATw8

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about the Alex Ross variant.

By the way, I finished Volume 3, so I feel I should add my comments about it. With the exception of one two-parter, this is a story about Kasper Cole, not T'Challa. Because of that, it's hard for me to consider it a Black Panther story (for that, I'm not going to rank it). However, it's a pretty good story on its own and it makes good use of being in the Panther world. To me, it reminds me a bit of the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel, who has clear Inhuman ties (perhaps this is more so than that, though). It wraps up well considering the conclusion forced by cancellation. I also like the art style better, for what it's worth.

I'm going to give a rating in stars, but I will give it a thumbsup. :up:

Kasper's run is so weird. You can tell Priest at the time was just trying whatever Marvel wanted. On his blog he talked about how the editors wanted to try something different by "making Vin Diesel Black Panther." On its own merits it's a solid story, but I think the run could do without it. I do wonder what Kasper is up to now. He seems like he'll be forever in limbo with some of the other Priest characters. The Crew was exceptionally well written, and that could have been a great thing for him had Marvel promoted it like they should have.

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Panther's Prey

Funny you didn't put any of Hudlin's arc in your list. I guess it didn't interest you.

I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm reading it in order. That's why I said "so far." I suspect it'll make it on the list. Even if it's bad, it's gotta be better than the Marvel Premiere conclusion of Panther v. KKK.

I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm reading it in order. That's why I said "so far." I suspect it'll make it on the list. Even if it's bad, it's gotta be better than the Marvel Premiere conclusion of Panther v. KKK.

I thought you had read Hudlin's run

To be honest I don't think it's bad but at the same time it felt disappointing especially after coming out of Priest's run. You may probably like some bits of it but its one of the weakest issues with some exceptions

My only experience with Hudlin is the BET cartoon and the Civil War crossovers. I liked both a lot.

My only experience with Hudlin is the BET cartoon and the Civil War crossovers. I liked both a lot.

The BET cartoon is pretty much a direct adaptation of the first arc of the comic. The only differences are the X-Men don't appear in the comic, Rhino is used instead of Juggernaut in the comic, and they show the entire fight between Cap and the old Panther.

Kasper's run is so weird. You can tell Priest at the time was just trying whatever Marvel wanted. On his blog he talked about how the editors wanted to try something different by "making Vin Diesel Black Panther." On its own merits it's a solid story, but I think the run could do without it. I do wonder what Kasper is up to now. He seems like he'll be forever in limbo with some of the other Priest characters. The Crew was exceptionally well written, and that could have been a great thing for him had Marvel promoted it like they should have.

The guy who did that run of Black Panther where he's in Hell's Kitchen was going to bring Kasper back as "American Panther", but the series was cancelled before he could do it.

I thought you had read Hudlin's run

To be honest I don't think it's bad but at the same time it felt disappointing especially after coming out of Priest's run. You may probably like some bits of it but its one of the weakest issues with some exceptions

It seems to me that a lot of people were hoping Hudlin's writing would follow the same style as Priest, which obviously wasn't the case.

With that said, imho, Hudlin's run had its faults especially in the earlier issues, but it ended in a very high note with "Deadliest of the Species." I wish he continued writing Power and Doom War as the outcome may have been different.

The guy who did that run of Black Panther where he's in Hell's Kitchen was going to bring Kasper back as "American Panther", but the series was cancelled before he could do it.

Well I was trying not to spoil it, but I do remember the end of that one where someone picked up the American Panther outfit. It more than likely was Kasper, but so much for that plan. Marvel's moving in a different direction, so I bet most of T'Challa's recent history will be sort of tossed aside or retconned a little bit.

I just finished Volume 4 (Hudlin's first run + See Wakanda and Die). I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Is it as good at is best as Priest was? No. I don't think so. And at times, to say it lacks subtlety is an understatement. Plus, the horny sex humor is pretty cringe-worthy.

That being said, I think it's a lot of fun. It starts off pretty rough with the rebooted continuity but, as it slowly slides into the mainstream Marvel universe (pretty much incorporating what had happened before), it gets better. It's more comic booky than Priest's run, imo, and uses a lot of more crazy ideas. But, while it will always inevitably be compared to Volume 3, I think you can tell by reading it that it appreciates what came before. Priest's influences are felt throughout Volume 4.

It was also better incorporated in the Marvel Universe. The tie-in to Civil War was one of my favorite Civil War tie-ins. See Wakanda and Die (I know, not Hudlin) is just awesome. I thought Storm was used well as well. My biggest complaint (aside from the lack of subtlety and the juvenile sex stuff) was that Cannibal was a wasted concept. That character really could have been interesting, but didn't really pan out (besides as a build-up to Secret Invasion).

Overall, my rankings now are:

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Black Panther Vol. 4 (Hudlin)
Panther's Prey

I just finished Volume 4 (Hudlin's first run + See Wakanda and Die). I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Is it as good at is best as Priest was? No. I don't think so. And at times, to say it lacks subtlety is an understatement. Plus, the horny sex humor is pretty cringe-worthy.

That being said, I think it's a lot of fun. It starts off pretty rough with the rebooted continuity but, as it slowly slides into the mainstream Marvel universe (pretty much incorporating what had happened before), it gets better. It's more comic booky than Priest's run, imo, and uses a lot of more crazy ideas. But, while it will always inevitably be compared to Volume 3, I think you can tell by reading it that it appreciates what came before. Priest's influences are felt throughout Volume 4.

It was also better incorporated in the Marvel Universe. The tie-in to Civil War was one of my favorite Civil War tie-ins. See Wakanda and Die (I know, not Hudlin) is just awesome. I thought Storm was used well as well. My biggest complaint (aside from the lack of subtlety and the juvenile sex stuff) was that Cannibal was a wasted concept. That character really could have been interesting, but didn't really pan out (besides as a build-up to Secret Invasion).

Overall, my rankings now are:

Panther's Rage
Panther's Quest
Black Panther Vol. 4 (Hudlin)
Panther's Prey

Mike, I'm assuming you haven't gotten to the Vol. 5 relaunch (written by Hudlin initially, and then later on by Mayberry) correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"