The Force Awakens Star Wars The Force Awakens: Early Tweet Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

[BLACKOUT]True, but is his look canon?[/BLACKOUT]
No. But then without the look, they literally have nothing to support the theory. So it could turn out to be true, but it would be a total guess with no evidence to support it so far.

From Russian press-

1)"4/5. Respect to Abrams, but dont let yourself to be overhyped. Its not the second coming, not masterpiece, and not the movie of the year. Contain your hype and you will be satisfied".

2)"The Force Awakens followed the steps of The Jurassic World. The story is a continuation, but by the spirit its all the same OT. Its spectacular with the tons of nods to classic and juicy scenes, but lack of individuality and fresh plot decisions. It is the work of craftsman, not the genius.
If we will take TFA as standalone Abrams movie, then yes, it will be his magnum opus and quintessence of everything Abrams couldn't do within the framework of the Star Trek movies. But if we will take TFA as the part of the saga, it orients too much on the OT (and even literally quotes it sometimes). There are lots of references to previous movies, lots of beauty, but in the next episode this approach won't work out, because on the foundation of this episode they need to build something radically new".

So far so good.

I'm personally most looking forward to JeremyJahns, Chris Stuckmann, and RedLetterMedia's takes.

From Russian press-

1)"4/5. Respect to Abrams, but dont let yourself to be overhyped. Its not the second coming, not masterpiece, and not the movie of the year. Contain your hype and you will be satisfied".

2)"The Force Awakens followed the steps of The Jurassic World. The story is a continuation, but by the spirit its all the same OT. Its spectacular with the tons of nods to classic and juicy scenes, but lack of individuality and fresh plot decisions. It is the work of craftsman, not the genius.
If we will take TFA as standalone Abrams movie, then yes, it will be his magnum opus and quintessence of everything Abrams couldn't do within the framework of the Star Trek movies. But if we will take TFA as the part of the saga, it orients too much on the OT (and even literally quotes it sometimes). There are lots of references to previous movies, lots of beauty, but in the next episode this approach won't work out, because on the foundation of this episode they need to build something radically new".

"I have a bad feeling about this." I hope its not an homage-fest.

"I have a bad feeling about this." I hope its not an homage-fest.

Yeah that's one of my biggest worries with this film. If it relies too heavily on referencing and homaging to the original trilogy then it loses its own individuality and ability to stand on its own two feet. That's one of the areas where Jurassic World failed.

Yeah that's one of my biggest worries with this film. If it relies too heavily on referencing and homaging to the original trilogy then it loses its own individuality and ability to stand on its own two feet. That's one of the areas where Jurassic World failed.

To be fair, "I have a bad feeling about this" is a Star Wars tradition so I do expect it to be in the film. Finn'll probably say it, I think. The dialogue being cheesy is what I worry about the most.

Anakin Skywalker: You are so... beautiful.
Padmé: It's only because I'm so in love.
Anakin Skywalker: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.
Padmé: So love has blinded you?
Anakin Skywalker: [laughs] Well, that's not exactly what I meant.
Padmé: But it's probably true.

Its just painful.

To be fair, "I have a bad feeling about this" is a Star Wars tradition so I do expect it to be in the film. Finn'll probably say it, I think. Cheesy dialogue is what I worry about the most.

It's just painful.

There is not a single review that has complained about that. JJ and Kasdan always write great dialogue. Most of the "Twitter reviews" don't seem to really mention that as a problem.

There is not a single review that has complained about that. JJ and Kasdan always write great dialogue. Most of the "Twitter reviews" don't seem to really mention that as a problem.

Yep very true

Yes, I know. Everything seems tip top so far.

To be fair, "I have a bad feeling about this" is a Star Wars tradition so I do expect it to be in the film. Finn'll probably say it, I think. The dialogue being cheesy is what I worry about the most.

Oh no yeah I'm fine with that. It would feel wrong if that line was not in it at all. I'm talking more about scenes and lines being shot for shot and quote for quote similar to the original trilogy too often. Or doing something fan servicey and relying purely on nostalgia, but besides this review it seems like it stands well on its own which is great.

I've been saying it for a long time. This film is a "spiritual reboot". Many generations, and directors I think have forgotten the core elements of what makes a Star Wars film. I knew that JJ and Disney wanted to replant the tree so to speak, and say let's start off with the "roots" of Star Wars. And build from there. Even though I know some loved it I was not a fan of Jurassic World and in my opinion the nostalgia was the least of it's problems. To me it was lacking the in the characters and I felt the story was over the top, and just some way out there ideas.

But from what we do know and I will find out in a few days is that it seems the film is perfectly made. Just does not try to go into heavy new ground. (Though it sounds like it creates very complex characters like Kylo Ren). But as I've said a million times, it's not "what" you tell, but "how" you tell it.

Kyle Buchanan ‏@kylebuchanan 3 Min.Vor 3 Minuten
"The practical effects, characters, and settings in FORCE AWAKENS are top notch. Very persuasive and tangible..."

Kyle Buchanan ‏@kylebuchanan 3 Min.Vor 3 Minuten
"The two key motion-captured characters... less so."

Scott Mendelson ‏@ScottMendelson 17s17 seconds ago
It was... okay. My dad loved it, which is arguably more important. #TheForceAwakens

This was always going to pay homage to what came before. That was inevitable when it was revealed that Kasdan was brought in and Arndt's script was being thrown out.

Heck I think, rumours even got thrown around that this would be a farewell to what had come before. It has already been said that Rian Johnson's VIII will be the 'weirdest' Star Wars film ever.

Let's enjoy this seemingly beautifully made tribute to the OT and baton passing to the new crowd who are getting rave reviews.

i don't know about anyone else, but i don't think I'd have a problem with it being homage'y.
i kind of already so it coming that way anyway with kylo being such a vader stan. i can already envision, Leia being the one to turn kylo, since she never had that moment with her father.

Quick question, does the embargo end at Midnight EST, or PST?

Oh god, I hope not.

It is unstoppable.

This always happens.

You can't break the cycle, gurl.

yvIxc6T.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member