Black Panther Comics to Read

If he's going to bring back the Midnight Angels then he should bring back Nakia leading them. Nakia, Okoye, and even Queen Divine Justice were great characters that need another shot. Especially Okoye.

When were the Dora Milaje called the Midnight Angels?

I wonder if Hunter is going to appear in the story at all. My guess is no, but we'll see.

When were the Dora Milaje called the Midnight Angels?

I wonder if Hunter is going to appear in the story at all. My guess is no, but we'll see.

Aloha,
Midnight Angels- During Doomwar T'challa had a group specially trained for infiltration and outfitted them with Shadow Physics technology able to destroy even Vibranium. They infiltrated Doom's castle and partook in the battle.
http://www.donaldspidermanthomas.com/html/library_limited_page15.html
Spidey rules except in Wakanda

Ugh, it's looking more and more like he plans on making significant changes to Wakanda that ends with the monarchy being done away with. That's never been something that's gone over well with fans....

Aloha,
in the "real world" the people of Japan have been listed for having the highest IQ among a nation. Yet, they still have an emperor. It's a constitutional monarchy. T'Challa is in a unique position where he can and has reduced his day to day authority over Wakanda. I mean look at how many times he's left Wakanda to be a super hero in America.The Panther cult will require that there always be a Black Panther.If any of his powers from Secret Wars remains,then he can become or is already the High Priest of Wakanda rather than the King.I mean he can annul his own marriage.I'm wondering if these two women are hating on T'Challa for bringing Namor into Wakanda. I'm also wondering how much continuity Coates is using from Doomwar,Secret Wars and New Avengers v.3. Time will tell.

Last edited:
That doesn't necessarily solve the problem, though. It helps remedy it slightly in that T'Challa can still be Black Panther without a monarchy, but it doesn't raise the problem inherent in a ruling monarchy.

In fact, I would guess Priest's run was probably the biggest inspiration for this storyline. During his run, there was at least a hint of a Parliamentary-style system. Then T'Challa dissolved it with one absolute decree (something that helped contribute to world economic collapse). That's the tension in Wakanda. It's an absolute monarchy even if it might have pretenses of liberal democracy.

Keep in mind that a lot of this has to do with the evolution of what is Wakanda over the years. You look at Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's version, I would argue that Wakanda was not advanced for centuries. The very clear implication was it was a primitive African tribe with one valuable resource and, after the death of T'Chaka, T'Challa single-handedly reshaped the country by using that resource and western education and money. All the other nuances came later. The idea that Wakanda was advanced for centuries because it was never touched by imperialism didn't even come until Reginald Hudlin, imo.

Aloha,
I also had to create some sort of working theory about Wakanda, and to the extent to which I came to one it is this: Wakanda is a contradiction. It is the most advanced nation on Earth, existing under one of the most primitive forms of governance on Earth. In the present telling, Wakanda’s technological superiority goes back centuries.

Not sure where Coates or Hudlin got that idea. While Wakandas unconquered nation status goes back centuries, their technological advancements started with T'Chaka who sent many of his best and brightest abroad to study and bring the information back to Wakanda. T'Challa being the best of the best, fashioned Wakanda into a technological culture.

Just as the Japanese are high tech yet still have an emperor, wear traditional clothes at times, practice ancient fighting and healing arts, so does Wakanda, retain their traditional culture but incorporate it into a high tech society.

I'm looking forward to this new series.

If he's going to bring back the Midnight Angels then he should bring back Nakia leading them. Nakia, Okoye, and even Queen Divine Justice were great characters that need another shot. Especially Okoye.

It still bums me out how characters that were so prominent in Priest's run were just ignored after that

It still bums me out how characters that were so prominent in Priest's run were just ignored after that

Me too. Hunter showed up in The Most Dangerous Man Alive, but he was only a shell of his former self and got beat too easily. I loved that run, but The White Wolf wasn't much of a threat at all.

If they could at least bring back Okoye I'd be thrilled. She was such a cool, subtle part of what made the Dora Milaje worked. While Nakia went crazy out of love and Queen couldn't understand the culture you had Okoye that accepted her fate and was T'Challa's right hand. I'd love to see her brought back.

I'd love to see Hunter and Okoye make comebacks in this series, it seems like they'd fit right into the story.

Aneka, the leader of the Dora Milaje during the Mayberry run, was featured in the Ultimates in issue #2 as being a person of authority among the Doras.

I would bet she would retain that role once again in the upcoming solo.

0c1d90ee1.jpg

28d0201b6.jpg

ab8d44c67.jpg

5a6bbb6af.jpg

bd74f31bc.jpg

b86ab4d41.jpg

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-return-of-the-black-panther/471516/

Yeah, words can't describe how excited I am for this. From the talk of his influences (Claremont and Simonson) to the serious consideration he seems to have to the consequences he's planning for to the collaboration with the artist in the Marvel method, this seems like it's going to be one amazing ride.

Just saw that this is coming up on Amazon later this year. In October they are collecting Don McGregor's classic run, and they will also have the first two issues of Fantastic Four that Panther debuted in. So that will give those of you who want to read it another, cheaper chance than the Marvel Masterworks version.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Panther-Epic-Collection-Panthers/dp/1302901907/

Panther's Quest remains the most difficult to get. Everything else is at least reasonable.

The first issue of the new series was pretty good. I knew that the art was going to be good, but it was even better than I thought it would be.

The first issue of the new series was pretty good. I knew that the art was going to be good, but it was even better than I thought it would be.

Is he stilled powered the herb or panther god?

Is he stilled powered the herb or panther god?

I think that he's still got the King of the Dead powers. They didn't touch on it too much, but they break down how he became king of Wakanda again after Shuri's death. It's probably some combination of the heart shaped herb and some King of the Dead powers. With T'Challa his powers are basically like Cap's in the sense that he's as strong as the story needs him to be, so it might not be too defined in this run.

The first issue of the comic really isn't about T'Challa. He's there but he's not really the focus at all. The focus of the story is on Wakanda, it's culture, and it's people.

I might have to pick this up.

Also an interesting note, I think that's the first time we've seen actual Wakandan words? I googled the non-english and I got Swahili and Hausa results, but the translations don't much up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"