Black Panther User Review Thread - Tag Spoilers

Still weird. He's in the middle of an intense killing spree and then he has a hard time talking to Nakia or that he has such a child-like bond with his little sister.

There's nothing weird about it. It's called being a multi dimensional character, like how many people in the real world are.

There's nothing weird about it. It's called being a multi dimensional character, like how many people in the real world are.

He can still be multi dimensional without these focus-tested approved traits.
Comes across as awkwardly appealing to every known demo possible.

He can still be multi dimensional without these focus-tested approved traits.
Comes across as awkwardly appealing to every known demo possible.

They "lightened him up" for his solo movie as opposed to Civil War where his dad died, and even then it's not like he was quipping left and right.

That said, there's nothing strange about him having a friendly bond with his little sister or being smitten by his love interest but hey, keep picking those nits.

Last edited:
He should've been a completely humorless robot, like Bats and Supes from BvS. How else could we take seriously?

Just saw this. I thought the acting was good to great - Danai was the stand out for me. But the execution was patchy and could've been tight. I felt the movie was only average at best.

Can't say much that hasn't already been said here. But I really liked the fact that even though T'Challa has a love interest, the entire movie isn't about their relationship. I feel like too many movies fall into this trap and this one didn't. In fact, the brother-sister relationship between T'Challa and Shuri featured more prominently. This was refreshing.

can't say much that hasn't already been said here. But i really liked the fact that even though t'challa has a love interest, the entire movie isn't about their relationship. I feel like too many movies fall into this trap and this one didn't. In fact, the brother-sister relationship between t'challa and shuri featured more prominently. This was refreshing.

amen

This movie felt exactly like Wonder Woman to me. Ok movie, way too over-rated.

I just watched the movie and first pros:
- really good female characters: Shuri, Nakia and Okoye. Maybe even the best in whole MCU.
- very good scenography (including clothing) and touch of Africa
- Wakanda: mix of modern and tradition
- interesting idea (just idea unfortunately) for the bad guy
- good jokes: not too much but those used were good.

Cons:
- recent constant problem of MCU: plots. This is why I found the movie heavily inferior comparing e.g. to TWS.
Logic of the ritual fights for the crown and total outsider getting in and actually all the government accepts it silently... Previous king killing his brother (being BP he could have handled him extremely easily) and leaves his son in US - illogical as well.
- mediocre performance of Ch. Boseman
- underdeveloped Killmonger: he had a great potential but he was made kind of an idiot actually,
simply sending weapon to start terrorists campaing not caring about existence of Avengers (however divided) or simply counteratack of current world powers. OK, he can be played as a madman, not caring what will be next ("I will put a fire to the world and I do not care what next")
but it seems that it was not an intention.
- mediocre fights: sorry, but having masked protagonist and antagonists permits you to hire the best of the best. Really good car chase though.

I do not judge the political messages - I understand why it resonated so much in Afroamerican community though however I found the idea that
so developed country still transfers the power by ritual fights a bit racist.
I recently watched all MCU since I got to "lay low" for few weeks due to the knee surgery. I have freshly in mind other movies so the movie is mediocre at best.

I just saw this the other day. I really liked it.

Kilmonger and Loki are the best Marvel villains.

Okoye and the other women in BP were more badass than anything in Wonder Woman

I think the movie really slowed down in the third act. The final fight had some shoddy CGI and I became disinterested when it became clear that the only plot point that was left was for T’Challa to defeat Kilmonger.

I think this was a really strong superhero movie. It’s easily one of the best Marvel origin stories. I don’t think it’s the best Marvel movie, but I’m so happy this movie was made. I feel like this movie will really change the movie industry considering how they depicted women and black people.

I give it an A- due to the predictable third act

This movie was just merely "ok" for me. Did not at all live up to its hype ... Or my own hype, even.

I kind of "clocked out" of the movie mentally after T'Challa's first fight against Kilmonger, when everyone thought he had been killed. From that point on with the film, it became one of the most generic things I have watched. I thought that the final battle (especially the fight between Black Panther and Kilmonger) was actually pretty bad.

I thought that the action scenes altogether were pretty bad, come to think of it. I expected SO much more from the same director who filmed the incredible boxing match in Creed (which is one of my favorite movies to have come out in recent years altogether). I guess that's my fault for expecting something more ...

Some of the characters were the opposite of charming to me. For example, I thought that T'Challa's sister was incredibly annoying, and I cringed so hard to the point of almost breaking my neck when the "What are thooooose" joke actually happened. And Klaue annoyed me as well ... Don't think that role was one of Andy Serkis' better moments.

Kilmonger is a fantastic villain, and Michael B. Jordan was GREAT in it. He was my favorite part of the movie, and I'm mad I won't see him again. Especially since I don't think he was in the movie nearly enough as he should have been, IMO.

A lot of the world building in this movie was really cool, and I see a ton of potential in future movies with it. Wakanda in of itself felt like a main character in this movie to me (which is a compliment to the movie).

I thought that T'Challa himself was infinitely more interesting in Civil War than he was in his own movie. The dude doesn't seem to have any compelling flaws or distinct characteristics in this movie. He essentially just plays off the characters around him, whereas in Civil War, he was very much a distinct character (one of my favorite characters in that movie, actually). I want to see more compelling material for this character in future movies.

This movie is fine. I can't say much more than that, as sad as that makes me. It didn't blow my mind, it didn't offend me. It did disappoint me, much in the same way as Doctor Strange did. I haven't even come close to flat-out disliking an MCU movie, but there is certainly a "lower tier" of MCU movies, and I think that Black Panther is among that mid-lower tier.

6/10. Best movie ever. :|

Movie was better than I expected, after all the hype I saw for it. I'll rate it about a 7/10. Honestly, would've been higher, but my god where did the effects budget go? We had some glorious looking scenes like
T'Challa drinking the liquid and visiting his father
, and then nearly the entirety of the final fight looked like a video game to me. Infinity War, despite being CGI heavy, never once took me out of it because of CGI, but man, this movie I couldn't stop noticing how bad the CGI looked.

Loved this movie. A lot. The CG is spotty in quite a few places and I wished someone did a second pass and cleaned it up a bit. I was a little upset over the eventual fate of a couple characters but overall despite my nitpicks, I thought this was a great film, and I'm glad I lived long enough to see it, cause as a kid I never would have dreamed it so.

I just watched the movie and first pros:
- really good female characters: Shuri, Nakia and Okoye. Maybe even the best in whole MCU.
- very good scenography (including clothing) and touch of Africa
- Wakanda: mix of modern and tradition
- interesting idea (just idea unfortunately) for the bad guy
- good jokes: not too much but those used were good.

Cons:
- recent constant problem of MCU: plots. This is why I found the movie heavily inferior comparing e.g. to TWS.
Logic of the ritual fights for the crown and total outsider getting in and actually all the government accepts it silently... Previous king killing his brother (being BP he could have handled him extremely easily) and leaves his son in US - illogical as well.
- mediocre performance of Ch. Boseman
- underdeveloped Killmonger: he had a great potential but he was made kind of an idiot actually,
simply sending weapon to start terrorists campaing not caring about existence of Avengers (however divided) or simply counteratack of current world powers. OK, he can be played as a madman, not caring what will be next ("I will put a fire to the world and I do not care what next")
but it seems that it was not an intention.
- mediocre fights: sorry, but having masked protagonist and antagonists permits you to hire the best of the best. Really good car chase though.

I do not judge the political messages - I understand why it resonated so much in Afroamerican community though however I found the idea that
so developed country still transfers the power by ritual fights a bit racist.
I recently watched all MCU since I got to "lay low" for few weeks due to the knee surgery. I have freshly in mind other movies so the movie is mediocre at best.

Aloha,
Could be partially due to the medication effect!:yay:
However, I agree with several of your points. In the comics, T'Challa has to fight the six greatest warriors in Wakanda to assume the mantle of Black Panther. BP fighting was stronger in Civil War and Infinity War than BP movie.The last battle between him and Killmonger should have been Bruce Lee vs Han in Enter the Dragon level of fighting.
Killmonger is the product of a non Wakandan santioned union, so of course, he is not going to be recognized by the high society.The bastard John Snow ring a bell?
The Wakandans are a cross between the Vulcans and the Klingons. They are a highly technological society that is also equally a warrior culture.That is the reason for the ritual combat. As you saw, there are some who felt that Wakanda should stay warrior without the technology (Jabari) and others who see a blending of tech and warrior culture as the way to go forward.
As far as Black Panther and the African American community, yes, where as normally the African American superhero movie attendance is 15% for BP it was 36%. But that in NO WAY explains how Panther got to be the largest selling super hero movie in places outside of the US.Of the 1.3 billion almost HALF is foreign. So the concepts that were presented in this move resonated just as strong with Asian, South American, African and European countries who made BP the #1 superhero movie in their country.
Until a solo superhero movie comes along that beats Black Panther, his is the #1 superhero movie.
Mediocre at best? Damn those opioid medications really do mess with your mind!

Long Live the King of Wakanda

As with Wonder Woman, I found my re-watch of BP a little bit of a slog. I really liked most of the personal interactions (Okoye especially), but on the whole it didn't hold up all that well for me.

Of course, my opinion may be ridiculed because while definitely a better film imo, I also struggle to get through TWS in one, unfastforwarded(!?) go.

[/B]

Aloha,
Could be partially due to the medication effect!:yay:
However, I agree with several of your points. In the comics, T'Challa has to fight the six greatest warriors in Wakanda to assume the mantle of Black Panther. BP fighting was stronger in Civil War and Infinity War than BP movie.The last battle between him and Killmonger should have been Bruce Lee vs Han in Enter the Dragon level of fighting.
Killmonger is the product of a non Wakandan santioned union, so of course, he is not going to be recognized by the high society.The bastard John Snow ring a bell?
The Wakandans are a cross between the Vulcans and the Klingons. They are a highly technological society that is also equally a warrior culture.That is the reason for the ritual combat. As you saw, there are some who felt that Wakanda should stay warrior without the technology (Jabari) and others who see a blending of tech and warrior culture as the way to go forward.
As far as Black Panther and the African American community, yes, where as normally the African American superhero movie attendance is 15% for BP it was 36%. But that in NO WAY explains how Panther got to be the largest selling super hero movie in places outside of the US.Of the 1.3 billion almost HALF is foreign. So the concepts that were presented in this move resonated just as strong with Asian, South American, African and European countries who made BP the #1 superhero movie in their country.
Until a solo superhero movie comes along that beats Black Panther, his is the #1 superhero movie.
Mediocre at best? Damn those opioid medications really do mess with your mind!

Wonder Woman is by far the biggest female lead superhero hit but it still has people calling it "mediocre at best" that's their opinion and they are entitled to it even if I disagree.

Wonder Woman is by far the biggest female lead superhero hit but it still has people calling it "mediocre at best" that's their opinion and they are entitled to it even if I disagree.

Aloha,
And that's the point. People are entitled to their opinions about anything in art or music. But when you have something that is an international, undeniable block buster, to say that it's mediocre is more of a denial of reality than just one person's opinion. World wide financial and critical success does NOT equal mediocre in the eye's of most rational people.

I watched this movie and really liked the action. But after watching Avengers infinity war and Black Panther died in that, I am not sure what will happen in the 2nd part of Black Panther.

I watched this movie and really liked the action.
But after watching Avengers infinity war and Black Panther died in that, I am not sure what will happen in the 2nd part of Black Panther.
First, welcome to SHH!. 2nd (and a mod is free to correct me if I'm wrong) typically if you're going to post a pretty significant plot point of a later movie that's *not* the one for the forum you're posting in, it's common courtesy to put spoilers into spoiler or black out tags (there are some people that may have only just seen this movie and are holding off on Infinity War until home release or something)

To do spoiler tags you either click on the smiley with the blacked out eyes above the text box or (if you're using the quick reply box) just type:

[SPOILER]spoilery text here[/SPOILER]

Giving you:
spoilery text here

Black out tags are similar (the icon is the Ninja icon right next to the YouTube icon)

[BLACKOUT]spoilery text here[/BLACKOUT]

Giving you (highlight to read)
[BLACKOUT]spoilery text here[/BLACKOUT]

As for your comment about
BP 'dying' (or dusting) in the snap of Infinity War and not being sure what that means for the next BP movie

Just remember, there's still Avengers 4 that's out next year that should (one way or another) finish up the storyline that IW started.

I thought Black Panther was decent. I sort of lost interest as soon as

they killed off Andy Serkis.

The CGI was especially bad in this film compared to other MCU films. I thought Black Panther had some amazing moves in Civil War, but Ryan Coogler really dropped the ball here, especially in the final battle. Some of the snarky comments from Shuri were obnoxious, like
"another white boy to fix!" or calling Ross a colonizer.

But anyway, I don't want to make this entire post about negative comments. The story was pretty good, the scenery was great, I enjoyed the villains in the movie, and Black Panther is a likable character. I've only seen the movie once so far, but I'll probably give it another watch right before Avengers 4.

The bad CGI is what is preventing me from doing a rewatch of this film. Everything is weightless again.

The bad CGI is what is preventing me from doing a rewatch of this film. Everything is weightless again.

It's weird because I usually don't complain about CGI that often. But it really stands out in this film.

There is that one shot of him jumping up to the second floor during a single shot fight sequence (Korea) and it really threw me off.

Just watched the movie on Netflix today. Felt okay... Most of the high speed action scenes with the Black Panther has his mask on were just computer animations tho... Would prefer if had more real live actions.

And I have to say I like Killmonger's character more. Boseman had too many "empty gaze" moments like he forgot the line or something... They should cast Jordon as the Black Panther instead if there's gonna be a sequel...

Btw, T'Challa forgot to ask his cousin if he's got any kids before killing him.

Oh and the scene where family escape to mountains after T'Challa's defeat in challenge, the mother queen was gonna offer the purple potion to the mountain lord (forgot his name). So that means anyone who drink the purple potion can become a Black Panther??? Woo hoo! Instant superhero here I come!!

And how come eveytime I hear "vibranium" an image of a certain sex toy always comes to mind?

Yea for a awkward moment I thought it was an NG scene that Boseman forgot his line and the director missed to cut it out during screening, and then I realized it was intentional but just badly acted it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"