• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

X-Men ‘97 Rate & Review X-Men '97 Season 1 (Spoilers)

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score
Now that Season 1 is over how would you rate and review the season on a scale of 1-5
  1. Fail
  2. Poor
  3. Decent
  4. Very Good
  5. Perfect

What worked? What didnt? Highs & Lows?

...I made a poll...not sure why it didnt generate..

Last edited:

The highs
Morph morphing to Colossus and Psylocke
Psylocke's cameo in the finale
Nightcrawler added to the team
Bishop/Nightcrawler in the intro - I have seen the intro 97 times
Rogue being Rogue
Emma shining bright a diamond

Lows
Too much Magneto for my taste. He really overshadowed Bastion and Sinister in this and then survived for the 2nd season. Also I dislike his intro shot, simply because I don't like the M costume.

1865122541.jpeg

Loved it.
Only two things that stick out..
1. The Jubilee episode. Was okay, but not to the standard of the other episodes.
Still enjoyed it.

2. The rushed nature of the show and storylines.
However, the way they actually handled the sheer amount of content was brilliant. That takes real skill.

I can't think of any show or film I've rated 100%, simply because I've never come across anything perfect... 4 / 5 rating for me is rare.

Favourite episode: 5.
Favourite character: Nightcrawler, with Gambit juuuust behind.

Loved the show, hate the wait 🤣

5. Not literally perfect, but pretty darn close and I don't believe full scores should be reserved for flawless (because nothing is). This was far and away the best X-Men related thing to come along since Days of Future Past a decade ago, and blew away the 1992 series in every way.

Favorite Episode was Remember It.
Favorite Character was Magneto, followed by Rogue.

5 - it was an amazing series. Main complaint: it does rip through major storylines at an incredible pace. It doesn't give the fallout of certain events time to set in.

I loved Magneto in this and had been waiting a long time to see Magneto as the headmaster of the X-Men. By the finale though I just couldn't help but have "X-Men: Apocalypse" deja vu with the constant flip flopping. Good guy to bad guy, back to good guy. I dont want all the drama to be a result of Xavier choosing to trust Magneto.

This show was a gift. I wasn't expecting to be this good. Best X-Men adaptation I've seen.

I'd give this season a 4.

It was enjoyable and I looked forward to seeing the next episode. The action sequences were very good, especially the climax of "Remember it" (that tri-headed sentinel needs to show up in the MCU X-Men for a good dose of horror). Most of the characters were likeable, and it definitely improved Cyclops and Jean from the original animated series.

My main complaint of the series would be Rogue and the love triangle. Although the character improved in the last few episodes, those first few episodes and her cheating on Gambit made her my least liked character in the series, which is a shame as she was my favourite character in the original series. Also I think they could do with replacing the voice actress because the voice sounds old and a bit damaged whereas Storm's voice actress still suits the character.

I think having the characters change their costumes is a good idea (and is hopefully reflected in the opening credits next season) as it helps to begin to separate it from the original series.

I originally thought the same about Rogue's voice actress, but she nailed the big emotional moments so well that I've changed my mind about that.

Judged on its own merits, it gets a five. The only complaint is that some comic storylines could have used more time to breath, but I can read those comic stories if I wanted to. The stories they told were handled perfectly.

This season was an easy 9/10 for me. Most of my complaints are nitpicky things. Overall, I found it to be a rewarding series. Very much an ensemble X-Men show. Gave us a lot of deep cuts from the comics. Animation held up fairly well over 10 episodes.

There are a lot of unconnected dots I'd like to be addressed, but I feel like they won't. But the 90s series had a lot of issues like that as well from time to time. I like that they took advantage of the TV-14 rating. Didn't feel quite as juvenile as the 90s series. They aged it up a bit. Cyclops and Magneto were the clear standouts this season.

I do think it was kind of goofy how they gave baby Nathan to Bishop and Bishop immediately loses him. Not to mention, they took Bishop to find Forge in the future, who the X-Men already know in the present.

I do think they need to make up their mind with Magneto. After all that to have him as an ally again felt jarring. I also don't think showing Omega Red in a more heroic light was a good idea. Would've been like seeing Sabretooth defend the PM of Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"