The Last Jedi Rate the new Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser!

7/10

But I'd bet a pretty penny that the first full trailer is going to be mind-blowingly awesome and the tickets will go on sale the next day.

Disney has the marketing thing down to a science.

surprisingly underwhelming teaser unfortunately.

I like it more for its themes than as an overall presentation.

Agreed. The fact that Luke seemingly wishes to put and end to the Jedi (or something similar) is much more interesting than the visuals and cool shots.

I'd give it a 7. It didn't do anything to build or deter my excitement for the movie. It's still my most anticipated film for the year. This trailer didn't have a "holy ****" moment like the Falcon shot in the first TFA teaser or "Chewie, we're home", but I understood what they were going for. It was meant to be more subtle because this is clearly going to be a darker and more visceral film than The Force Awakens.

Honestly the biggest feeling I got when I watched it was relief that we finally heard Luke speak again.

I thought it was a great "teaser" trailer so I gave it a 9 out of 10. Only reason I didn't go all the way is because the movie is soooo far away :dotf:

I'd give it a 7. It didn't do anything to build or deter my excitement for the movie. It's still my most anticipated film for the year. This trailer didn't have a "holy ****" moment like the Falcon shot in the first TFA teaser or "Chewie, we're home", but I understood what they were going for. It was meant to be more subtle because this is clearly going to be a darker and more visceral film than The Force Awakens.

Honestly the biggest feeling I got when I watched it was relief that we finally heard Luke speak again.
It doesn't deter my excitement either. But yeah, it doesn't have one of those really great money shot moments.

Nothing special, did not like it..

Star Wars is living from being Star Wars nowadays... and being hyped!

We will see, how the movie turns out - did not like the last two, and can not understand, that so many people think they were great!

10 outta 10 for me. This is what a teaser should be.

I can't say this did much for me. To be honest, the teaser of the last movie (not Rogue One) didn't do anything for me either, but it had a really good trailer.

I'll go see this for Mark Hamil. Luke Skywalker needs a proper send off.

Nothing special, did not like it..

Star Wars is living from being Star Wars nowadays... and being hyped!

We will see, how the movie turns out - did not like the last two, and can not understand, that so many people think they were great!

I think time and perspective will make them realize that.

Force Awakens played out like bad fan fiction. Phantom Menace my have been a train wreck, but it had a certain je ne sais quoi and a grandness to it. George Lucas made new worlds, and characters. These last movies have been painfully derivative and retreads. They're just soulless.

I doubt this movie will break the trend, but I do want to see Luke Skywalker's story.

Force Awakens played out like bad fan fiction. Phantom Menace my have been a train wreck, but it had a certain je ne sais quoi and a grandness to it. George Lucas made new worlds, and characters. These last movies have been painfully derivative and retreads. They're just soulless.

I doubt this movie will break the trend, but I do want to see Luke Skywalker's story.

TFA gets better each time I watch it. R1 seems to diminish in all except the 3rd act.

TLJ seems certain to be a plot heavy story heavily steeped in Jedi legend and lore. This will be a fun one to discuss for those that love the history of SW.

The biggest issue I had with TFA is that it completely took a crap on the force, the Skywalker connection to it..and the mythological demigod like aura of that name.

Then comes Rey, does things even the chosen one couldnt do after some training.

The movie was Disneyfied, like the MCU. It dorsnt feel like the same saga as 1-6.. we may have to just accept that

The biggest issue I had with TFA is that it completely took a crap on the force, the Skywalker connection to it..and the mythological demigod like aura of that name.

The movie was Disneyfied, like the MCU. It dorsnt feel like the same saga as 1-6.. we may have to just accept that

No it did not take a crap on the Force. The Force is magic. Simple as that. The film actually does a good job of explaining that for Rey. Luke went from a young Farm boy to blocking laser bolts with his lightsaber in 5 seconds with Obi-Wan in ANH. And also was piloting a military aircraft on a dangerous raid all with in one day.

The Force is not RPG based. And one does not "level up".

A few things:

-We don't know what Rey's past is. So there is a lot of unknown.
-Luke in ANH learned how to use the Force to block laser bolts with the lightsaber with Obi-Wan saying a few words to him and that's it.
-Rey had Maz say a few words almost identical to Obi-Wan's to her.
-Unlike Luke Rey actually had someone using The Force on her. When Kylo does it to her she feels what he's doing. And that's why there is a long scene of great acting where you see Rey start to mimic using the Force on Kylo Ren and starts to push him out of her head.
-So after having first hand experience she uses the same thing Kylo used on her, and she used back on him to a weak-minded stormtrooper.
-As for her lightsaber skills, she was proficient with a melee weapon for years. And honestly if you actually watch the duel in TFA she does not fare so well until she lets the Force flow through her after following what Maz told her to do, just like Obi-Wan told Luke to do during the trench run.

Rey did nothing different that Luke did. The Force is not "You can't use this until level 15" There are different ways to learn things. Rey learns from having something done to her. Kylo mind tricked her many times she learned how to do it from mimicking him. Just like if someone never played basketball and watched someone else play and mimic them. Some will be natural at it others won't and will need different types of training.

The whole Rey could not have done that is just not the case. The Force is mysterious and does not have a strong set of rules on how each individual learns how to use it. Just like in real life we all learn from different ways. Rey learned from watching someone else and having someone else use it on her as well as some pep talk from Maz. Luke just had to have a pep talk from Obi-wan, he never really had the Force used on him.

The way the Force was used in this film is much more true to the original intentions instead of the midclorian stuff that the PT had that felt very un-Star Wars. It's magic not science.

I honestly thought it was really underwhelming. It was nowhere near as good as the Rogue One and Force Awakens teasers that's for sure.

I gave it a 10 because I'm that hyped about it.

My biggest issue was Rey. But also how small the universe is. Just think about it. In a galaxy with what must be billions of planets and countless people one of our protagonists (Finn) just happens to work for Han Solo's son (Kylo Ren). He then just happens to find himself on a desert planet where Han Solo's ship happens to be (what are the odds of this?). A few hours tops he bumps into Han Solo. Then they bump into Han Solo's son. How small is this galaxy? It's like the whole story takes place in a rural county where everyone knows each other.

Just so much lazy writing.

My biggest issue was Rey. But also how small the universe is. Just think about it. In a galaxy with what must be billions of planets and countless people one of our protagonists (Finn) just happens to work for Han Solo's son (Kylo Ren). He then just happens to find himself on a desert planet where Han Solo's ship happens to be (what are the odds of this?). A few hours tops he bumps into Han Solo. Then they bump into Han Solo's son. How small is this galaxy? It's like the whole story takes place in a rural county where everyone knows each other.

Just so much lazy writing.

If you have a problem with coincidences, then you have a problem with all of Star Wars.

Well thankfully Rey doesn't fit the definition of a Mary Sue.:)

Sure. She's a girl with no pilot experience, but flies the Millennium Falcon like a pro - and also knows how to fix it when its owner Han Solo doesn't. Then there's the part where she learns how to use the force in a day to do the Jedi mind trick and reverse a mind probe. Then there's also that scene where she beats a trained Jedi knight (Sith lord?) the first time she gets her hand on a light saber (a weapon a novice is likely to cut their own hand off with).

I am curious what your idea of a Mary Sue is if it isn't Rey. Would she somehow block the death star laser with her bare hands?

Sure. She's a girl with no pilot experience, but flies the Millennium Falcon like a pro - and also knows how to fix it when its owner Han Solo doesn't. Then there's the part where she learns how to use the force in a day to do the Jedi mind trick and reverse a mind probe. Then there's also that scene where she beats a trained Jedi knight (Sith lord?) the first time she gets her hand on a light saber (a weapon a novice is likely to cut their own hand off with).

I am curious what your idea of a Mary Sue is if it isn't Rey. Would she somehow block the death star laser with her bare hands?
Rey is a Mary Sue. IDK why people resist this so much. Most who accept this are not saying they don't want a female protagonist, just don't make her a mary sue.

Rey is a Mary Sue. IDK why people resist this so much. Most who accept this are not saying they don't want a female protagonist, just don't make her a mary sue.

Pretty much. I actually liked her for the first 30 minutes of the movie. Then... it all got to be too much. Remember how long it took Luke to use a lightsaber or use the force in any real way?

I really dislike Force Awakens. The more I think about it, the worse it seems. It's just a lazy, uninspired retread with a boring, invincible protagonist.

I guess there's Finn, but that's about it. Kylo Ren wasn't terrible either I guess.

I don't know, I just don't get how people can overlook all of the film's glaring flaws and total lack of creativity.

Phantom Menace may have been a mess but at least it introduced fresh ideas, and wasn't afraid to try new things. Most of them were awful, but still. It had a soul.

I really hope The Last Jedi takes some risks and tries some new things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"